HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Shanny (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=371915)

jas 04-19-2007 05:39 AM

Shanny
 
Three goals in four games...one, a game-winner, another, the game-tying goal in the first round clincher...not bad for an old guy, who his critics have said is done.

I know there are a few of you out there who, like myself, have wished to see these kind of moments from him in a Ranger uniform for over 13 years. Last night, he did what big time players do...score big goals in big spots. I don't care if he's 38 and past his prime. I love having this guy finish his career as a Ranger.

And, yes, I want him back for another year.

Ola 04-19-2007 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas (Post 8990077)
Three goals in four games...one, a game-winner, another, the game-tying goal in the first round clincher...not bad for an old guy, who his critics have said is done.

I know there are a few of you out there who, like myself, have wished to see these kind of moments from him in a Ranger uniform for over 13 years. Last night, he did what big time players do...score big goals in big spots. I don't care if he's 38 and past his prime. I love having this guy finish his career as a Ranger.

And, yes, I want him back for another year.

After only getting 3 goals in his last 22 PO's games with Detroit, I was a bit worried that he wouldn't be the veteran presence in the PO's we expected him to be.

In game 1, were he in all honesty didn't contribute much at all on the ice, played pretty much like Ortmayer type of hockey -- all defense, he still IMO played a big part in the win. He started japping like I haven't seen him all season. He stood up for Avery when he was run. After every whistle he went after Trashers towards their bench and yapped, he went after the reffs.

He got himself involved dooing that. And I also got the feeling that really took of some pressure of the team. Made them no think about ATL scoring, but focusing on what went-on on the ice.

Now he have started to get involved offensivly, finding open ice and taking advantage of that.

Still no matter not, Shanny is a player that you can count on to help out in some way or form.

I have no concerns anymore! :)

kickice 04-19-2007 06:11 AM

I love Shanny.

In fact, I love these Rangers.

Whatever happens now, they've done me proud! The work ethic, the team spirit, the attiude they have shown the last few months, has made me so very proud to be a Rangers fan.

SPG 04-19-2007 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas (Post 8990077)
Three goals in four games...one, a game-winner, another, the game-tying goal in the first round clincher...not bad for an old guy, who his critics have said is done.

I know there are a few of you out there who, like myself, have wished to see these kind of moments from him in a Ranger uniform for over 13 years. Last night, he did what big time players do...score big goals in big spots. I don't care if he's 38 and past his prime. I love having this guy finish his career as a Ranger.

And, yes, I want him back for another year.

I'm with you. Let's bring him back.

Fletch 04-19-2007 08:53 AM

I don't mind having Shanny back....
 
next season, but I do not want to see him playing 20 minutes per game. By mid-season (or actually earlier) he looked like a 42 year old Messier who also was playing 20+ minutes. For me, 12-13 ES minutes, 2:30-3:30 PP minutes, and that's about it. Keep him fresh, keep him useful. His wearing down was predictable and it should be managed better next season.

On another item, and this may not be the right place for it, but I'll state it anyways, I sometimes watch Straka and view him as an odd-man out. I like the guy a real lot, and have liked him a lot for some time now. But, Nylander and Jagr have shown they can be effective without him. The third line looks good as is. And the second line would look better with a centerman and Avery on the wing. The line looks fine, but could be better with a centerman. So assuming Hossa is the real deal and will continue to flourish, where would that leave Straka?

Levitate 04-19-2007 09:19 AM

Fletch, Straka signed for another year, but yeah I wouldn't expect to see him around after that. Probably for the Rangers own purposes, and his own wants (hasn't he been talking about retiring from the NHL soon?)

Regarding Shanny...I haven't been terribly impressed with him in the playoffs, cuz he seems to be floating more than he did earlier in the year. I'm not sure if it's because he's still recovering from the concussion and getting his game back, but he doesn't look really sharp and has been missing some of his shots too.

However, it's big goals like the one last night that will make him worthwhile to have around. I just want him to keep shooting the puck, and hopefully he'll get more sharp out there on the ice as he goes along.

I don't mean to sound like I'm dissing the guy, I don't think he's hurting the team or anything, he just doesn't seem quite up to speed yet. But scoring big goals when you're not up to speed can only be a good thing...

SPG 04-19-2007 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 8991141)
I don't mean to sound like I'm dissing the guy, I don't think he's hurting the team or anything, he just doesn't seem quite up to speed yet. But scoring big goals when you're not up to speed can only be a good thing...

I don't think he is up to speed yet, but you have to expect that for a player his age after missing the amount of time he did.

As for Straka - I see no harm in keeping him around even if Nylander and Jagr are capable of being effective without him. He's a valuable part of this team.

NYR469 04-19-2007 09:28 AM

he's definitely coming up big in the playoffs. this is what we signed him for...he had a bad 2nd half (even without the injury) and lots of people were frustrated, or better word is probably worried that he was running out of gas and had nothing left. but i think many of us were holding onto hope that he was gonna come thru big in the post season.

but the most important thing to me is that whether its jagr or nylander or hossa or straka or avery or cullen or cally or rozsival or whoever we just have so many different guys contributing and helping us win that is amazing. last year we were a 1 line team and then became a zero line team when jagr got hurt. now you can't shut us down cause even if you stop 1 line you can't stop all 3 lines.

Anthony Mauro 04-19-2007 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 8990914)
next season, but I do not want to see him playing 20 minutes per game. By mid-season (or actually earlier) he looked like a 42 year old Messier who also was playing 20+ minutes. For me, 12-13 ES minutes, 2:30-3:30 PP minutes, and that's about it. Keep him fresh, keep him useful. His wearing down was predictable and it should be managed better next season.

I don't think even Messier ever looked that worn down simply because he was a more explosive skater. Shanny definately needs to have his icetime capped somewhat. This is where you absolutely need Renney to change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 8990914)
On another item, and this may not be the right place for it, but I'll state it anyways, I sometimes watch Straka and view him as an odd-man out. I like the guy a real lot, and have liked him a lot for some time now. But, Nylander and Jagr have shown they can be effective without him. The third line looks good as is. And the second line would look better with a centerman and Avery on the wing. The line looks fine, but could be better with a centerman. So assuming Hossa is the real deal and will continue to flourish, where would that leave Straka?

That leaves Straka re-signed and cemented in the line-up. I understand rewarding guys and showing them appreciation, but Sather most certainly should have waited.

What it does is puts alot more strain on the front office to get rid of an Ortmeyer, Hollweg, or Betts to make room for a competent kid ALA Cally. I don't know if I'm ready to say goodbye to Ortmeyer yet.

NYRchick 04-19-2007 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas (Post 8990077)
Three goals in four games...one, a game-winner, another, the game-tying goal in the first round clincher...not bad for an old guy, who his critics have said is done.

I know there are a few of you out there who, like myself, have wished to see these kind of moments from him in a Ranger uniform for over 13 years. Last night, he did what big time players do...score big goals in big spots. I don't care if he's 38 and past his prime. I love having this guy finish his career as a Ranger.

And, yes, I want him back for another year.


Definitely bring Shanny back. It impressed me how he actually wanted to come here. And yes,while I was wary of them signing another player that was past his prime,Shanny's totally different. Not only has he brought scoring,he's brought toughness,and leadership as well.I'll never forget Shanny stepping up and fighting Brashear during that one game against the Caps.That said a lot in my mind. He's the classic 2-way player;I love 2-way players.

danno2530 04-19-2007 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRchick (Post 8995418)
Definitely bring Shanny back. It impressed me how he actually wanted to come here. And yes,while I was wary of them signing another player that was past his prime,Shanny's totally different. Not only has he brought scoring,he's brought toughness,and leadership as well.I'll never forget Shanny stepping up and fighting Brashear during that one game against the Caps.That said a lot in my mind. He's the classic 2-way player;I love 2-way players.

I always liked the Shanny signing because it was only for a year and like you said, he actually seemed like he genuinely wanted to come here unlike alot of other guys who just came for the money. He wanted to make a difference in front of a fanbase and a city that has waited WAY too long for a season like this.

Although I have to admit that I didn't really follow him closely with Detroit, obviously I knew about what he brought to a team, but I never truly saw it until he came here. This guy is just a professional and a true hockey player in every aspect of the game and I would love to see him back for even a couple more seasons.

NYR94 04-19-2007 04:03 PM

I think in a strange way his injury from the collision with Knuble helped him in a way because it made him miss games and gave him time to rest. I wonder how effective he'd be right now had he played a full 82-game schedule with the minutes Renney was giving him.

Ola 04-19-2007 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 8990914)
next season, but I do not want to see him playing 20 minutes per game. By mid-season (or actually earlier) he looked like a 42 year old Messier who also was playing 20+ minutes. For me, 12-13 ES minutes, 2:30-3:30 PP minutes, and that's about it. Keep him fresh, keep him useful. His wearing down was predictable and it should be managed better next season.

On another item, and this may not be the right place for it, but I'll state it anyways, I sometimes watch Straka and view him as an odd-man out. I like the guy a real lot, and have liked him a lot for some time now. But, Nylander and Jagr have shown they can be effective without him. The third line looks good as is. And the second line would look better with a centerman and Avery on the wing. The line looks fine, but could be better with a centerman. So assuming Hossa is the real deal and will continue to flourish, where would that leave Straka?

Straka doesn't stand out on that line, but its he who is carrying it.

I love Dubinsky, but put him there now and Shanny looks 42 again without a doubt.

His positioning is perfect. He forechecks and is the first player back. He plays really smart in the transition game. He keeps a perfect position all the time and is always their to help to unload.

As much as I love Avery and Shanahan, and I defentily acknowledge that thoose two are contributing a ton these days, there is no way that line could go up against Kovalchuk-Belanger-Kozlov and dominate if it weren't for Straka. Not even with Cullen. Probably not even with Nylander.

My point is that we can't start to overrate Shanny and Avery. They are tremendous in certain aspects, but they are not complete players. Strala is dooing a heck of a job on that line IMO.

Its possible that Dubinsky could handle that role next season, but not a given. Playing with Avery and Shanahan is far from perfect for a young kid like him. Avery got serviceable skills, he can get the job done in the attacking zone, but in the neutralzone he can just drive the puck in a straight line over the redline and dump it in. He is really stiff. Shanahan got no speed.

WheresBarnaby 04-19-2007 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola (Post 8996525)
Straka doesn't stand out on that line, but its he who is carrying it.

I love Dubinsky, but put him there now and Shanny looks 42 again without a doubt.

His positioning is perfect. He forechecks and is the first player back. He plays really smart in the transition game. He keeps a perfect position all the time and is always their to help to unload.

As much as I love Avery and Shanahan, and I defentily acknowledge that thoose two are contributing a ton these days, there is no way that line could go up against Kovalchuk-Belanger-Kozlov and dominate if it weren't for Straka. Not even with Cullen. Probably not even with Nylander.

My point is that we can't start to overrate Shanny and Avery. They are tremendous in certain aspects, but they are not complete players. Strala is dooing a heck of a job on that line IMO.

Its possible that Dubinsky could handle that role next season, but not a given. Playing with Avery and Shanahan is far from perfect for a young kid like him. Avery got serviceable skills, he can get the job done in the attacking zone, but in the neutralzone he can just drive the puck in a straight line over the redline and dump it in. He is really stiff. Shanahan got no speed.


Straka hasn't been the same since injured, but he's getting close. His speed last night was back in a big way. He also wasn't knocked off the puck at all. Hopefully with the time off he will be 100% for round two.

Shanny and Avery are both pretty hot right now, but the best evidence for why this team could go deep, is that everyone's stepping it up, It's been that way for over a month and a half now.

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!

Fletch 04-19-2007 05:55 PM

I'm not overrating...
 
but since his injury, I haven't been seeing a heck of a lot out of Straka. And I'm not suggesting throw Dubi in there and change anything up right now. But after watching his play recently, coupled with my opinion that the team will need a real centerman next season for that line, be it UFA, from within or what-have-you, I scratch my head thinking who's the odd man out, assuming Shanny is resigned and Hossa gets his chance again and Cally stays up, etc.

WheresBarnaby 04-19-2007 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 8996967)
but since his injury, I haven't been seeing a heck of a lot out of Straka. And I'm not suggesting throw Dubi in there and change anything up right now. But after watching his play recently, coupled with my opinion that the team will need a real centerman next season for that line, be it UFA, from within or what-have-you, I scratch my head thinking who's the odd man out, assuming Shanny is resigned and Hossa gets his chance again and Cally stays up, etc.

With guy's like Callahan, Shanahan and Avery playing like are I think it diminished the need for another center. Mainly because they play the way a center should. Not as much Callahan but the other two are very defensive. I'd say over the past 6/7 weeks we've fixed what was broken, and even if God forbid the Rangers implode next series,I wouldn't touch a thing for next season, it's obvious this teams chemistry is right on.

Fletch 04-19-2007 07:06 PM

It's looked good...
 
the last couple months - I still believe that a better lineup for an 82 game season plus the playoffs would be for Avery to be on the wing and a centerman between he and Shanny, assuming Shanny is signed to come back.

Tawnos 04-19-2007 08:15 PM

Straka is as important in what he brings to Jagr's level of content as he is for what he brings on the ice directly...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.