HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The Official NYR Management and Coaching Staff Man-Crush Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=372034)

Shadowrunner 04-19-2007 01:47 PM

The Official NYR Management and Coaching Staff Man-Crush Thread

'Cause they sure as hell deserved it.

For the nearly flawless coaching of Tom Renney in this series, who made a Cup wnner in Bob Hartley look like a high school coach. For the incredible team defense that his team is playing behind a seemingly weak blueline (when's the last time you remember a breakaway or an odd-man rush against Lundqvist?).

For Benoit Allaire and his incredible work with Lundqvist. If you don't think that Allaire is probably the biggest reason why Henrik was able to put it all together and become an absolutely elite goaltender in the NHL in less than 2 seasons, check Allaire's track record, and send him a big boquet of red roses as an apology for even thinking that.

For Perry Pearn, Mike Pellino, and the rest of the coaching staff for making our special teams VERY SOLID, and their overall great work with the players.

And finally, for Glen Sather. We may never know who or what is responsible for perhaps the greatest Jekyll and Hyde performance in the history of sports (though I have a sneaking suspicion that the Hyde part was all Donal). However, it seems that when given the opportunity, in only a few short years Slats has:

1) Totally rebuilt the farm through terrific drafting and player development. We haven't had the "problem" of figuring out what to do with all of the deserving up-and-coming youth for a long, long time. And it feels so, so good.

2) Putting together a group of talented, hard-working individuals with a great mix of youth and veteran leadership, which developed into a team with tons of heart and chemistry. His FA record over the past 2 years has been very solid, and even when it failed, his superb trading more than made up for it.

We let them have it when they screwed up. So let's let them have it when they succeed! :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

DontStaal 04-19-2007 01:50 PM

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

i'm all smiles so far with this organization

bringing in Avery for nothing...
Allowing Callahan to play...
Bringing in Girardi...
Stealing Mara...
Bringing Elisha Cuthbert to MSG :naughty:
just revitalizing the team and the fans!!!!!

J-Dawg 04-19-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DontStaal (Post 8994053)
Bringing Elisha Cuthbert to MSG :naughty:

Yeah that move alone right there is priceless! ;)

SingnBluesOnBroadway 04-19-2007 02:02 PM

We all rave about the Avery deal (and with good reason), but the Mara deal was equally good.

Anthony Mauro 04-19-2007 02:05 PM

Perry Pearn is a friggen sex icon. The goatee and moustache are impeccable as are his glasses. Each time, I can hardly wait for his intermission interviews.:amazed:

What, the thread is titled Man-Crush...

Bluenote13 04-19-2007 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue (Post 8994252)
Perry Pearn is a friggen sex icon. The goatee and moustache are impeccable as are his glasses. Each time, I can hardly wait for his intermission interviews.:amazed:

:biglaugh:

I really like our coaches and I never really complained about Renney's decisions throughout the year, there was a method to the madness afterall, who wouldve known(besides me)? :propeller

Stoney La Rock 04-19-2007 02:12 PM

Quote:

You forgot to mention his ties.

Larry Melnyk 04-19-2007 02:15 PM

I think the Rangers have done a great job with the organization since the Great Purge..However, the key to righting this year was the way that the Rangers corrected their mistakes of the offseason---signing Cullen as a 2nd C and signing Aaron Ward---by dealing for Avery and switching Mara for Ward....It wasn't just the talent upgrade, it was the saving of the locker room and finally finding the right chemistry after a rocky start..Hats off to Sather and Maloney..

I also had major problem with Renney early on with his chaotic line-ups but whether itwas becasue of the new players or the light finally going on, he finally settled on the right lines...Maybe that helped the chemistry or visa versa..Butthe bottom line is that for the past two months, Tom Renney has had the team totally prepared, motivated, and focused..he has had them playing smart, disciplined (for the most part) and responsible hockey..Great job the lasttwo months..Doesn't mean it will continue endlessly but he deserves kudos also..

Anthony Mauro 04-19-2007 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dipsydoodle (Post 8994326)
You forgot to mention his ties.

Sorry, I'm soo focused on that beautiful mug of his, I just...

The Thomas J.* 04-19-2007 02:16 PM

Wanna know the funny thing, while Mistakes were made along the way by Sather & Dolan, bringing in high priced over the hill talent, he DID try to catch lighting in abottle with some of it, The coaching decsions up until Renney were horrific, the fan base begging & pleading for re-building, while all the While Sather & Maloney WERE indeed rebuilding and it did take 5 years!

Makes ya feel kind of dumb doesn't it, it was right before oyr very eyes & we did not see it. I guess thats why im not a scout or a NHL GM.
:wave:

dave4 04-19-2007 02:19 PM

Never thought I'd say this, but count me in (except for the part about Perry Pearn...yuck).

I was on the Fire Renney bandwagon in January, and I was obviously very wrong. Same thing with Sather. I'm not sure how it happened, but Sather seems to have gone from non-factor to genius in three short months. I still think it's weird that almost to the day when Messier announced he wanted to be GM, Sather started making the moves of a brilliant GM, but whatever.

I don't care how it happened...I'm just glad that it did. Amazing job so far by Renney, Sather, Maloney, and all of the assistants that have gotten the Rangers to this point.

And to the people who said I (and a lot of other people) should get off Renney/Sather's backs...you were right.

Fletch 04-19-2007 02:27 PM

I think the makeup...

of this team has been great. I think Renney's doing a lot better job, but that doesn't change my opinion of him during last season and through February this season. He learned, was forced into doing a couple things, but made the best of it, stuck with what worked, and here we are, on our way to round too...congrats guys! Let's win another while Jagr can still eat up 20+ effective minutes...

bender13 04-19-2007 02:31 PM

Man, did this team jell at the end of regular season or what?

I'm taking a guess that the staff looked at the relationships in the locker room and how well players got along, move out those who didn't fit. Because these guys are sticking up for one another, and cheering each other on big time.:yo:

Sather Hater 04-19-2007 02:37 PM

I might have to change my username.:D

dkatzism 04-19-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sather Hater (Post 8994665)
I might have to change my username.:D

Well, the man does reek of cigars...

HenrikO'doyle 04-19-2007 03:03 PM

I also need to say Im wrong about Renney, the guy has been very good over the last while and he has silenced me, Im behind him now. Sather-for now hes decent. Hes been great this year but it was before this year I had my doubts, however he does deserve credit.

JayMan82 04-19-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue (Post 8994369)
Sorry, I'm soo focused on that beautiful mug of his, I just...

You might have to fight with Trautwig over him!!!

uccman39 04-19-2007 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave4 (Post 8994424)
Never thought I'd say this, but count me in (except for the part about Perry Pearn...yuck).

I was on the Fire Renney bandwagon in January, and I was obviously very wrong. Same thing with Sather. I'm not sure how it happened, but Sather seems to have gone from non-factor to genius in three short months. I still think it's weird that almost to the day when Messier announced he wanted to be GM, Sather started making the moves of a brilliant GM, but whatever.

I don't care how it happened...I'm just glad that it did. Amazing job so far by Renney, Sather, Maloney, and all of the assistants that have gotten the Rangers to this point.

And to the people who said I (and a lot of other people) should get off Renney/Sather's backs...you were right.

Not to be the voice of doom and gloom here, but they have only won one round
of playoff hockey since Sather has been here...I think the lockout had more to do with the Ranger success (its not like all of those deadline trades in 03-04 brought the guys here that are the cornerstone of success)...I do like Renney and his staff, but let us not give Sather a pass for 7 years of misery, especially where the payroll was (or have you forgotten the signings of Bobby Holik, Kasaparitis, etc) ...when they reach a conference final, then I will reconsider

BwayBshirt 04-19-2007 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uccman39 (Post 8995064)
Not to be the voice of doom and gloom here, but they have only won one round
of playoff hockey since Sather has been here...I think the lockout had more to do with the Ranger success (its not like all of those deadline trades in 03-04 brought the guys here that are the cornerstone of success)...I do like Renney and his staff, but let us not give Sather a pass for 7 years of misery, especially where the payroll was (or have you forgotten the signings of Bobby Holik, Kasaparitis, etc) ...when they reach a conference final, then I will reconsider

first, it hasn't been 7 years of misery. it was 4. i'm all for setting the bar high but if you consider these past 2 seasons as part of the misery then you'll never be satisfied, much less happy.

i can't speak for everyone here but i don't think anyone is giving him a free pass. and there's zero question the lockout helped this organization more than most.

however, the change in the thought process of management so far since the trade deadline of 2004 has been nothing short of impressive. there is so much more sense to what transactions are made then there used to be.

and imo, the purge that happened wasn't supposed to bring in cornerstones so much as to restock and re-energize the farm system. which they have.

Fletch 04-19-2007 05:45 PM

uccman...

one of the biggest reasons for the success is the deal Sather pulled off getting Jagr at 1/2 price for Anson Carter. Throw in a salary cap and you have a 100-point player at less than $4.5MM per season. That's a huge start and enabled him to build post-lockout. Great, great move, and perhaps his best as Rangers GM since it enabled other moves to look like successes now.

poeman 04-19-2007 05:56 PM

fire sather

bobbop 04-19-2007 06:07 PM

About Renney

Interesting quote from Bob McKenzie at TSN

Quote:

And as Renney would tell you, the Rangers are a lot less coached. He's not inundating the players with so much information but just trying to get them to play the game the way they like to play it.
Much as players grow, coaches can grow in their position.

Bluenote13 04-19-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 8996864)
one of the biggest reasons for the success is the deal Sather pulled off getting Jagr at 1/2 price for Anson Carter. Throw in a salary cap and you have a 100-point player at less than $4.5MM per season. That's a huge start and enabled him to build post-lockout. Great, great move, and perhaps his best as Rangers GM since it enabled other moves to look like successes now.

Good point Irwin.

hpNYR 04-19-2007 06:15 PM

This team has about 11 players in the 20's....damn right we're rebuilding.

TomLaidlaw 04-19-2007 06:18 PM

Quote:

<----- Perry Pearn approves this statement