HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Is Kevin Weekes still on this team? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=372165)

SML 04-19-2007 08:56 PM

Is Kevin Weekes still on this team?

What is going on with him? Does anybody else think there is something odd going on here? Lundqvist played 70 games this year, but when was the last time Weekes even dressed as a backup? Was it before New Year's? Did he walk out or something and they just haven't said anything about it?

wildone26* 04-19-2007 08:57 PM

Holt will be the backup next season.

Petemo 04-19-2007 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SML (Post 8999878)
What is going on with him? Does anybody else think there is something odd going on here? Lundqvist played 70 games this year, but when was the last time Weekes even dressed as a backup? Was it before New Year's? Did he walk out or something and they just haven't said anything about it?

he was injured, buddy.

Im not sure he ever fully healed...Vally had seen pucks more recently therefore on the playoff roster.

SML 04-19-2007 08:59 PM

I realize he was injured, buddy... I just wondered how injured the guy could be when he hasn't suited up in the last three months.

VJ Rangerfan 04-19-2007 09:00 PM

Game 4 he was actually a healthy scratch, so he is officially off the IR. He may be backup next series w/Vally going back to the Pack. (This is just speculation since Weekes was a healthy scratch game 4)

SML 04-19-2007 09:02 PM

Thank you, VJ. That's more like what I was looking for.

FLYLine24* 04-19-2007 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VJ Rangerfan (Post 8999976)
Game 4 he was actually a healthy scratch, so he is officially off the IR. He may be backup next series w/Vally going back to the Pack. (This is just speculation since Weekes was a healthy scratch game 4)

Weekes is not off the IR. I'm not sure where you heard that he was taken off. Just because MSG says a player is scratched doesn't mean they are not on the IR.

I Am Chariot 04-19-2007 09:06 PM

Kevin won some BIG games for us.

I think we're seeing Renny not wanting to change the chemistry of a team thats winning.

All the off season UFA stuff is just stuff for later.......

I bet Weekes ends up in Toronto though.....he's been a good soldier. He deserves to play.....somewhere else.

VJ Rangerfan 04-19-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 9000113)
Weekes is not off the IR. I'm not sure where you heard that he was taken off. Just because MSG says a player is scratched doesn't mean they are not on the IR.

He was listed as day-to-day which means your're off the IR, isn't that right?

TheCaptain11 04-19-2007 09:16 PM

hey

Weekes has seen very little play since being injured. Vally has seen a couple and hasnt played bad at all. Will Vally see any games?

wildone26* 04-19-2007 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleandshoot (Post 9000146)
Kevin won some BIG games for us.

I think we're seeing Renny not wanting to change the chemistry of a team thats winning.

All the off season UFA stuff is just stuff for later.......

I bet Weekes ends up in Toronto though.....he's been a good soldier. He deserves to play.....somewhere else.

If he went to Toronto he might have a chance to steal the starting job. Raycroft is not that good.

VJ Rangerfan 04-19-2007 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCaptain11 (Post 9000364)
Weekes has seen very little play since being injured. Vally has seen a couple and hasnt played bad at all. Will Vally see any games?

Vally's seen one game and Weekes none. BUT, Weekes is an experienced playoff goaltender with some pretty good playoff numbers.

Overall, I doubt that anyone but Lundy will play games this post-season.

Last season, we had more of a goaltender tandem which is why we saw Weekes in net against the Devils. This season, Lundy has the starting role and will play throughout the playoffs barring any problems. IMHO

frozenrubber 04-19-2007 09:25 PM

Kevin Weekes is practicing with the team and has been so for the last few weeks. He was 1 of the 10 skaters for the optional skate before game 4:

Valley
Weekes
Hollweg
Orr
Callahan
Girardi
Isbister
Pock
Strudwick
Rachunek

lotus 04-19-2007 09:40 PM

Lundqvist has a nice rest given our sweep but should he need one, we may be in trouble. Vally in a playoff game, I'm sorry but I don't think anyone can say they wouldn't be pissing themselves every time buffalo or Ottawa touches the puck.

abev 04-19-2007 09:55 PM

Weekes is no longer injured and has not been since April 2nd.

The only way I can attempt to describe what is going on is that it's a similar situation to Ryan Hollweg being scratched. TR doesn't want to "change" anything.

devilsfan30 04-19-2007 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildone26 (Post 8999908)

not montoya?

lotus 04-19-2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilsfan30 (Post 9001697)
not montoya?

Monty is too good to be a backup. I'd rather see him dished off than play backup.

wildone26* 04-19-2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilsfan30 (Post 9001697)
not montoya?

I think it will be Holt personally. I am not sure if Montoya is ready for the NHL.

wildone26* 04-19-2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus (Post 9001714)
Monty is too good to be a backup. I'd rather see him dished off than play backup.

Well he was in a platoon in the AHL this season. He started 25 games, and Valiquette 27 games, before first Montoya was hurt, then Valiquette called to the NHL where he has stayed since(injury fill in backup). So he apparently isnt "too good", for the possibility of a situation allowed, of him not being the true #1 even in the AHL at this point.

MugatuNYR 04-19-2007 10:57 PM

I don't get the idea of not "changing anything." What difference would it make having Weekes sitting on the bench rather than Valiquette. All the guys on the team love Weekes as a person.

Sather Hater 04-19-2007 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildone26 (Post 8999908)

Weren't you the one saying Holt was better than Montoya and Lundqvist last year?? Are you related to Holt or something?

Holt has about a zero chance of being the back up in NY next year. He is probably 6th on the depth chart right now behind - Lundqvist, Weekes, Montoya, Valiquette, and Westlund.

You do realize the Montoya was an AHL All-Star last year (as a rookie) and his numbers are top 5 in the AHL this year. The only reason Valiquette was called up instead of Montoya was because they didn't want to have Montoya sitting on the bench watching Lundqvist when he can be playing in Hartford.

As for Weekes, I remember him being quoted as saying he was healthy and ready to go well before the playoffs started. It seems because he missed time Renney is more comfortable with Valiquette right now, he must think Valiquette is in better game shape, etc. Or they have lost complete faith in Weekes, or maybe there is something we don't know about the injury and the coaching staff is upset with him. He definitely has been practicing for a few weeks now.

wildone26* 04-19-2007 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sather Hater (Post 9002081)
Weren't you the one saying Holt was better than Montoya and Lundqvist last year?? Are you related to Holt or something?

Obviously not since I dont believe Holt is better then Lundqvist right now.

Quote:

Holt has about a zero chance of being the back up in NY next year. He is probably 6th on the depth chart right now behind - Lundqvist, Weekes, Montoya, Valiquette, and Westlund.
My opinion is Holt will be the Rangers backup next season. You are entitled to disagree. It could be Weekes if he is resigned, or it could be Valiquette. Montoya and Westlund are the only two with no chance to be a Ranger next season.

Quote:

You do realize the Montoya was an AHL All-Star last year (as a rookie) and his numbers are top 5 in the AHL this year.
What I do realize is after being an AHL All-star least year he was demoted to a platoon situation this season, with a non-prospect, a solid journeyman type goaltender. In fact, before Montoya got hurt, then Valiquette getting called up to the NHL just as Montoya was about to return, Montoya and Valiquette had both dressed for the first 52 games of Hartford this season, one starting, one backing up. Valiquette started 27 of those, Montoya 25, Valiquette was actually slightly ahead of Montoya in starts , that was before an injury or call up to either player took place.

Quote:

The only reason Valiquette was called up instead of Montoya was because they didn't want to have Montoya sitting on the bench watching Lundqvist when he can be playing in Hartford.
What difference would it have made when Montoya was sitting on the bench as much more, or more, then Valiquette with Hartford anyway?

hdw 04-20-2007 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCaptain11 (Post 9000364)

If we assume that both Vally and Weekes are un-injured.

I don't think any of them will see any action unless something happens with Hank.

And if I had to chose between an older, possibly rusty, gaolie with lots of NHL games under his belt including playoff and a young more or less untested one as backup in the playoff I'd go with the old one.

The situation is a bit awkward, it would have been nice to let someone else get some games before the playoffs but as Jags said after one the latest games "we been playing playoff hockey for months already".

The final frantic push for a spot didn't leave room for any experimentation.

I'd take my chances with Weekes on the bench.

Chimp 04-20-2007 07:17 AM

What I'm really happy about is that Hank seems to have worked up a fitness and mentality where he can handle back to back games and a hard workload. He now just doesn't have the skill, but the body for the task.

Sather Hater 04-20-2007 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildone26 (Post 9003009)
Obviously not since I dont believe Holt is better then Lundqvist right now.

My opinion is Holt will be the Rangers backup next season. You are entitled to disagree. It could be Weekes if he is resigned, or it could be Valiquette. Montoya and Westlund are the only two with no chance to be a Ranger next season.

What I do realize is after being an AHL All-star least year he was demoted to a platoon situation this season, with a non-prospect, a solid journeyman type goaltender. In fact, before Montoya got hurt, then Valiquette getting called up to the NHL just as Montoya was about to return, Montoya and Valiquette had both dressed for the first 52 games of Hartford this season, one starting, one backing up. Valiquette started 27 of those, Montoya 25, Valiquette was actually slightly ahead of Montoya in starts , that was before an injury or call up to either player took place.

What difference would it have made when Montoya was sitting on the bench as much more, or more, then Valiquette with Hartford anyway?

Montoya was getting the bulkload of work when Valiquette was called up. Around December he caught on fire and started playing alot more. Don't forget he also had off season shoulder surgery and they might have been taking it cautiously with him the first month or two.

You cannot honestly think Holt has a better chance of being the back up in NY than Montoya? When you put up below average numbers in the ECHL you don't get promoted to the NHL.

2006-07 Charlotte Checkers Regular Season Stats
Holt 3.15 GAA .898 Save %
Westlund 2.73 GAA .914 Save %