HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   future or Flatt, Furrer.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=372824)

hockeyfan99 04-21-2007 05:44 PM

future or Flatt, Furrer....

How you think

Ranger would sight Koverko, Furrer, Flatt and that they future

eco's bones 04-21-2007 06:18 PM

Koverko was suspended by his team right before the playoffs for curfew violation. I think he was borderline to begin with. I don't see us signing him and he'll probably try to catch on somewhere as an overage in the OHL next year. Flatt's a possibility I suppose. I expect Purinton will not be back. He seems to fit into a younger version of Dale--maybe. Seems to me to be a pretty longshot to become an NHL player. Furrer has been injury prone but the one time he came over to play in the WJC he was quite impressive. I remember him having good size, being fairly agressive, skated well and had a pretty good slapshot. I'm not sure the Rangers are ready to bring him over. They might bring him over during the summer with their other rookies and take a look at him then and make a decision. With Staal and Sauer coming in and with Reese and Potter finishing off the season in Hartford nicely--might not be any openings for anyone else.

FLYLine24 04-21-2007 06:44 PM

None of the above. Those 3 are extremely low on the chart when it comes to our defensive prospects.

ECL 04-21-2007 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 9023239)
None of the above. Those 3 are extremely low on the chart when it comes to our defensive prospects.

I really think they should sign Furrer. Extremely underrated and has a ton of talent.

eco's bones 04-21-2007 08:45 PM

I like Furrer too though he seems to be injury prone.

bobbop 04-21-2007 10:07 PM

Purinton is around for veteran leadership. His shortcomings at the NHL levels have been well documented here and elsewhere but apparently he's a great team player and a real leader in the locker room. You need to have some veteran leadership.

Draft Guru 04-22-2007 02:19 AM

Flatt was a bust from the second we drafted him. Complete waste of a 3rd round pick. Maloney told his scouts to give him the toughest SOB left, and they took Flatt. It's a shame they went for toughness and not actual hockey ability.

nrf83 04-22-2007 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Guru (Post 9028253)
Flatt was a bust from the second we drafted him. Complete waste of a 3rd round pick. Maloney told his scouts to give him the toughest SOB left, and they took Flatt. It's a shame they went for toughness and not actual hockey ability.

how is a 3rd rd pick a bust? A long shot in making it to NHL, Flatt was never considered as a NHL'er, he was just a tough guy on skates. How this makes him a bust I don't know?

RangerBoy 04-22-2007 06:56 AM

It's so easy for Monday morning QBing.Some people didn't like the Dane Byers selection either.Or the Fedor Tyutin selection in 2001

Flatt and Koverko are old NHL players.As was Nate Guenin.The Rangers wanted to sign Guenin but when they saw the NHL was actually serious about enforcing their rule book,they didn't offer the NHL contract

Draft Guru 04-22-2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrf83 (Post 9028960)
how is a 3rd rd pick a bust? A long shot in making it to NHL, Flatt was never considered as a NHL'er, he was just a tough guy on skates. How this makes him a bust I don't know?

In the 3rd round there are still players with actual NHL potential available. Flatt can't skate and has no offensive ability. All he has are his fists, and those aren't even top notch. He was run out of Saskatoon after his teammates lost respect for him when he didn't back them up in their first round playoff series when they got swept (the year he got drafted). I believe it was Prince Albert they played. They were taking liberties against Saskatoon's best players, and he didn't do his job in backing them up. Sure enough he was gone before the next season.

ATLANTARANGER* 04-22-2007 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Rx (Post 9023264)
I really think they should sign Furrer. Extremely underrated and has a ton of talent.

I'm with you I take a flyer on Furrer. I try and sign him to a AHL contract. He's a physical Dman that hits and would be worth a minor league contract and see if he develops further.

BDubinskyNYR17* 04-22-2007 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER (Post 9034431)
I'm with you I take a flyer on Furrer. I try and sign him to a AHL contract. He's a physical Dman that hits and would be worth a minor league contract and see if he develops further.

agree, Potter is looking good who is signed to an AHL contract. Hopefully Potter will get an NHL contract over the summer.

nrf83 04-23-2007 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Guru (Post 9031396)
In the 3rd round there are still players with actual NHL potential available. Flatt can't skate and has no offensive ability. All he has are his fists, and those aren't even top notch. He was run out of Saskatoon after his teammates lost respect for him when he didn't back them up in their first round playoff series when they got swept (the year he got drafted). I believe it was Prince Albert they played. They were taking liberties against Saskatoon's best players, and he didn't do his job in backing them up. Sure enough he was gone before the next season.

I can't figure out if you're agreeing with me, or defending your position that he is a bust. I agree 100% with your eval of Flatt, which makes him a bad pick, but not a bust. To my mind a bust is top 10 overall pick that does not make it in NHL, and even then I hesitate to label anyone a bust. A 1st round pick isn't necessarily a bust. Just because a team drafts you in 1st round doesn't mean that player is guaranteed a NHL roster spot. After that it's such a crapshoot labeling a draft pick a bust is laughable. If Pyatt doesn't make it does that make him a bust? Just because you and I both overvalue NYR draft picks:D doesn't mean that players we want to promote to NYR are busts if they do not make it.

007 04-23-2007 11:24 AM

I always liked Furrer and hope he can make it. He's lost a lot of very important development time to injury, though. Back around the time he was in the WJC, I thought he had the talent of a guy like Baranka and a great attitude to boot. If there's still a chance for him to maximise that potential, he would be worth a contract.

Bluenote13 04-23-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 9043274)
I always liked Furrer and hope he can make it. He's lost a lot of very important development time to injury, though. Back around the time he was in the WJC, I thought he had the talent of a guy like Baranka and a great attitude to boot. If there's still a chance for him to maximise that potential, he would be worth a contract.

Yeah, I felt the same way. Didn't he play in the Olympics too?

007 04-23-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 9044539)
Yeah, I felt the same way. Didn't he play in the Olympics too?

For some reason I want to say he did, but the stats say he didn't:

http://www.eurohockey.net/players/sh...i?serial=35784

Perhaps he was on their roster? I seem to recall something about neon green hockey skates...

Bluenote13 04-23-2007 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 9044972)
For some reason I want to say he did, but the stats say he didn't:

http://www.eurohockey.net/players/sh...i?serial=35784

Perhaps he was on their roster? I seem to recall something about neon green hockey skates...

Yeah, I can't find it anywhere but i'm pretty sure he played for the Swiss at the Olympics.

Draft Guru 04-23-2007 02:35 PM

I believe you guys are referring to the '04 WJC's, which were broadcast on ESPN2.

Bluenote13 04-23-2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Guru (Post 9045596)
I believe you guys are referring to the '04 WJC's, which were broadcast on ESPN2.

Its possible, but for some reason I remember him playing against men, thats why I was surprised he had made the team. Could it have been the World Championships, minus the junior? :D

nrf83 04-23-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Guru (Post 9045596)

yeah, thats correct. I remember Phillipe and his teammates wore those skates with the horrible green color Tuuks. What a spectacle:D

nyr2k2 04-23-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyfan99 (Post 9022171)
How you think

Ranger would sight Koverko, Furrer, Flatt and that they future

I'm with pretty much everyone else here, take a flier on Furrer and let the rest walk. I was always intrigued by Koverko's size, though he seems so have very little in terms of actual hockey skills.

eco's bones 04-23-2007 04:36 PM

I'm not sure he was the Olympics but he has been playing in the Swiss Elite league starting as a teenager I believe against men for 3 or 4 seasons.

nyr2k2 04-23-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eco's bones (Post 9047146)
I'm not sure he was the Olympics but he has been playing in the Swiss Elite league starting as a teenager I believe against men for 3 or 4 seasons.

Yup, Swiss-A the last 4 years.

Thordic 04-23-2007 04:57 PM

I doubt Dale is going anywhere, him and Weller are taking Gernander's reins. As rough and tumble as the AHL can be at times, Dale is good to have down there. Plus he is a good leader and a good lockeroom guy. He was often praised by the other players during his tenure with the Rangers. You don't want to give leadership away if the player can still contribute, and in the AHL, Dale can still contribute. He was a marginal NHLer at best, but marginal NHLers can have pretty solid AHL careers.

Sather Hater 04-23-2007 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Guru (Post 9031396)
In the 3rd round there are still players with actual NHL potential available.

I remember that draft well. I was hoping they were going to select TJ Hensick with their 3rd round pick because he was still available. I was scratching my head when I read Flatt's description after he was drafted. I was actually hoping they were going to take Paul Stastny with their second round pick, but they took Sauer instead. Sauer wasn't a bad pick but Stastny was just incredible for Colorado this year.