HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Flyers-Caps rumors (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=37324)

kingjdv 12-19-2003 03:40 PM

Flyers-Caps rumors

During the Leafs-Caps game on TSN the announcers mentioned that a large contingent of Flyers personnel were at the game. They identified Ron Hextall as one of the scouts in attendance and mentioned Kolzig's name. With Max up and off to a good start and with the Caps still trying to trim the payroll, do the Flyers make a deal for "Ollie the Goalie" and who goes the other way, Esche or Hackett?

Dr Love 12-19-2003 03:41 PM

Hackett has a NTC. Everyone that is a so called hockey expert seems to be forgetting that lately. (Not you, I mean the media).

John Flyers Fan 12-19-2003 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingjdv
During the Leafs-Caps game on TSN the announcers mentioned that a large contingent of Flyers personnel were at the game. They identified Ron Hextall as one of the scouts in attendance and mentioned Kolzig's name. With Max up and off to a good start and with the Caps still trying to trim the payroll, do the Flyers make a deal for "Ollie the Goalie" and who goes the other way, Esche or Hackett?

If we make a deal with the Caps my guess is that it's

Handzus +
foe
Gonchar

blah 12-19-2003 04:43 PM

It better be. Kolzig has been dreadful this season.

Diesel 12-19-2003 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
If we make a deal with the Caps my guess is that it's

Handzus +
foe
Gonchar

Clarke said that the reason he didn't trade for Comrie before was because Lowe asked for Handzus. So why would he trade Handzus now? I suppose he could turn around and trade Comrie, but Clarke also came right out and said that Comrie won't be traded. My guess is that Washington has just made it known that Kolzig and others are available and the Flyers decided to have a look see. If a trade goes down, though, I would think it'd have to be Kolzig because we could get him cheaply.

FlyersFan10* 12-19-2003 06:24 PM

Who knows. Maybe the Flyers are looking at re-acquiring Maxime Ouellette. Weirder things have happened. I know if I'm dangling Handzus, I want at least a potential franchise goalie coming the other way.

mrs9x 12-19-2003 07:16 PM

Handzus can replace Primeau

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Who knows. Maybe the Flyers are looking at re-acquiring Maxime Ouellette. Weirder things have happened. I know if I'm dangling Handzus, I want at least a potential franchise goalie coming the other way.

I don't want to trade Handzus at this point because he does the exact same thing as Primeau but for much less money. Primeau is a UFA at the end of the year, I think we should let him walk, save money, and allow Handzus to be our #3 center.

blah 12-19-2003 07:23 PM

Yeah but that won't happen b/c it makes too much sense.

stanley 12-19-2003 07:28 PM

Quote:

Who knows. Maybe the Flyers are looking at re-acquiring Maxime Ouellette. Weirder things have happened.

No way. If Washington is going to do any trading, it will be because they are calling it a season. They would shed a great deal of payroll along the way.

Also remember that the Flyers have two very capable NHL goaltenders. If they were to acquire another, they'd have to do some shedding of their own, and it would have to be in the form of Mr. Esche, because Hackett has a no-trade clause.

I will be shocked if the Flyers do anything. I think the river of rumors that have poked out of the woodwork since the Comrie trade are out-of-town mongers using some sort of strange logic that Clarke is just getting started. Notice that you don't read any of this originated by Moran or Panaccio.

Bennevol10 12-19-2003 09:12 PM

I can grantee you that Flyers will not trade Handzus for few reason... Firstable JR is only 6'1 or 6'0; Comrie 5'9; Primeau is 6'5 but he will be free agent after this season... We all know Clarkie love big Center and Handzus young, Cheap and 6'5 tall... Plus Hitch think very highly of believe it or not... Last summer when Clarke traded Checko... Hitch wasn't happy and so was Snider... If Hitch want Handzus Clarkie wont trade him.... I honestly don't see Handzus getting traded any time soon...

wasting time 12-20-2003 01:55 AM

Quote:

Is possible, but then the boat full of scouts got to watch Oullett knocking back a couple bags of chips and some gatorade.

John Flyers Fan 12-20-2003 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennevol10
Last summer when Clarke traded Checko... Hitch wasn't happy and so was Snider... If Hitch want Handzus Clarkie wont trade him.... I honestly don't see Handzus getting traded any time soon...

Hitchcock was fully in support of trading Chechmanek.

stanley 12-20-2003 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennevol10
I can grantee you that Flyers will not trade Handzus for few reason... Firstable JR is only 6'1 or 6'0; Comrie 5'9; Primeau is 6'5 but he will be free agent after this season.

Comrie will be a free agent, but it will not be the Group III unrestricted type. He will be a Group II restricted free agent with no arbitration rights. For as "free" as he'd be next summer, he may as well go see if he can get an offer in Tahiti. The entire free agent system will most likely undergo at least a few modifications, but I'm still holding out (as is everyone else) to see what it will look like. After some thought, I will be surprised if a luxury tax or salary cap is not grandfathered in, and on a graduated scale. I don't see how it can not be graduated in nature.

Anywho, I do not observe a precedent with Clarke regarding players in Comrie's end-of-season situation. I have observed hard-line bartering when talks are initiated in the summer, but the sides come to an agreement before camp starts or not soon after. The Flyers don't have a long list of Group II holdouts, and with their relatively deep pockets, they shouldn't when all things are equal (i.e., the player and his agent are "reasonable").

Comrie was offered the standard 10% over his base figure this past summer by the Oil. He declined, a whole bunch of insults from all sides followed, and it seemed like negotiations stopped there. It's not like the first time such a scenario unfolded.

stanley 12-20-2003 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Hitchcock was fully in support of trading Chechmanek.

I remember this also.

jplush76 12-20-2003 12:48 PM

I'm amazed none of you guys have picked up on the real trade that is going to happen...

TO THE FLYERS:

Jagr

TO THE CAPS:

Chris Therien

:lol:

blah 12-20-2003 01:37 PM

No chance, lol, I think Therien might actually have more trade value than Jagr.