HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Avery Calls out Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=373816)

clmetsfan 04-24-2007 11:39 AM

Avery Calls out Sabres
 
Not disprespectful, but authoritative:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04242007...rry_brooks.htm

I like it. Normally I don't agree with doing anything to give the other team extra motivation against you, but this is classic Avery. Trying to get the other team to focus on him rather than the rest of the Rangers. I don't think it will work this time as well as it did against Atlanta, but you know they're going to hear about this, and maybe it'll even distract them a bit from the task at hand. Probably not, but I don't think it can hurt. It's not as if Avery wasn't going to draw their ire sooner or later.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 04-24-2007 11:41 AM

This is the playoffs. Teams don't need motivation. Bulletin board material is for the fans, not the players.

clmetsfan 04-24-2007 11:44 AM

Tell that to Atlanta.

The Fuhr* 04-24-2007 11:45 AM

Avery is so awesome. Wish the Sens had him.

zestystrat 04-24-2007 11:50 AM

Classic Averyism
 
He played in a league-high 84 games - 55 with Los Angeles before being dealt to the Rangers. None of those 84 was against Buffalo. But that doesn't matter - Avery already has worked up a healthy dislike for the Sabres.

"I've already decided I hate all of those guys," Avery said. "So I don't think we're going to have much of a problem with that."


From http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...buffaloed.html

:biglaugh:

nyr2k2 04-24-2007 11:55 AM

Bulletin board material is for the fans, I agree, but let's hope that Avery's comments do piss off the Sabres a little bit. Any bit of over-aggression could lead to a PP for us. Though, I'm sure the league is accustomed to Avery's candor by now, so I'm sure these comments come as no surprise to the Sabres players.

Bottom line, I'm totally in love with Sean Avery- his game and his personality. It's a breath of fresh air.

BigE 04-24-2007 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 9058838)
This is the playoffs. Teams don't need motivation. Bulletin board material is for the fans, not the players.

Teams shouldn't need motivation... ;)

You're right about Buffalo, though: Avery's comments are going to mean very little to them.

I'm sure for the first game of the series (or even the first two), Avery is going to be left alone. However, as things go on he's just going to continue to get deeper and deeper underneath the skin of every player on that team. The ultimate test for Buffalo is going to be their ability to handle Avery in games 3-7, not games 1 and 2.

94now 04-24-2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 9058838)
This is the playoffs. Teams don't need motivation. Bulletin board material is for the fans, not the players.

I agree. Avery should better practice hitting avoidance. If Sabres continue level him the way Trashers did he may not last for the entire series. Good part is he is young and can take alot of abuse, but it is not something that would go away. It has a cumulative effect.

jgrangers2 04-24-2007 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zestystrat (Post 9058956)
He played in a league-high 84 games - 55 with Los Angeles before being dealt to the Rangers. None of those 84 was against Buffalo. But that doesn't matter - Avery already has worked up a healthy dislike for the Sabres.

"I've already decided I hate all of those guys," Avery said. "So I don't think we're going to have much of a problem with that."


From http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...buffaloed.html

:biglaugh:

haha That's a great, great line. Avery is the man, best acquisition this team has made in a long time.

JD SabreFan 04-24-2007 12:08 PM

Well.. lol, this should be interesting.

Anyone hear about that Niinimaa character?

JamesG1221 04-24-2007 12:24 PM

What's even better is this. A piece of an interview with Ryan Miller from the Buffalo news:

"He just feels thats the way he has to stay in the league, thats fine. Hopefully, we can try and find a way to take advantage of it. Hes going to try and draw people into penalties, and if were smart enough hes going to be taking them.
Its pointless to get caught up in his little soap operas"



One could make the argument that he's already in their heads before the first drop of the puck. Motivation aside, He's on the minds of atleast a couple Sabres already....

Thordic 04-24-2007 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94now (Post 9059114)
If Sabres continue level him the way Trashers did he may not last for the entire series. Good part is he is young and can take alot of abuse, but it is not something that would go away. It has a cumulative effect.

Meh, I'm the same age Avery is, and if I took the pounding he did I'd be bathing in Icy Hot. :)

clmetsfan 04-24-2007 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thordic (Post 9059488)
Meh, I'm the same age Avery is, and if I took the pounding he did I'd be bathing in Icy Hot. :)

I'm reminded of the "You wouldn't make it in the NHL" commercials.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_MEpzRGgtok

I Am Chariot 04-24-2007 12:51 PM

Back it up Sean....Back that **** up and we will follow you wherever the battle leads.

ExiledRangersFan 04-24-2007 12:58 PM

He's in the Sabres fan's heads for sure. They sound like he threatened to shoot somebody.

pld459666 04-24-2007 01:03 PM

/
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JD SabreFan (Post 9059185)
Well.. lol, this should be interesting.

Anyone hear about that Niinimaa character?

Niinimaa? Janne? or rather Mr. Softie

or is there another Niinimaa you are referring to?

Humphrey* 04-24-2007 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledRangersFan (Post 9059736)
He's in the Sabres fan's heads for sure. They sound like he threatened to shoot somebody.

eh, i'm sure some Sabres fans are irked by this but i'm certainly not. i think it's kind of funny. this was the best part:

"I'm sure there's going to be a little bit of adversity. I don't necessarily foresee us winning in four. I anticipate a long series. It could go six games or five."

seriously, how can any fan read that and not at least chuckle a little?

ExiledRangersFan 04-24-2007 01:30 PM

I think the real Sabres fans are confident enough to just read what he says and get a laugh out of it. Some of the people on the main boards need to relax a bit though.

SPG 04-24-2007 01:44 PM

I ran a couple searches through the Rangers/Sabres series thread on the Buffalo board and came up with some interesting results.

Of the 11 pages in that thread, 44 posts include Jagr's name. 160+ posts include Avery's.

:D

John Torturella 04-24-2007 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledRangersFan (Post 9060046)
I think the real Sabres fans are confident enough to just read what he says and get a laugh out of it. Some of the people on the main boards need to relax a bit though.

This just shows you what kind of character Avery really is. He loves the game and clealry loves to win. He is just a funny guy

MLH 04-24-2007 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 9058838)
This is the playoffs. Teams don't need motivation. Bulletin board material is for the fans, not the players.

Buffalo was totally complacent against the Islanders. I was concerned they might overlook the Rags as well, but I'm not anymore. Avery is a godsend.

ExiledRangersFan 04-24-2007 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motime42 (Post 9060333)
This just shows you what kind of character Avery really is. He loves the game and clealry loves to win. He is just a funny guy

That's the impression I get of him. I've enjoyed the guy since the trade.

dpw 04-24-2007 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motime42 (Post 9060333)
This just shows you what kind of character Avery really is. He loves the game and clealry loves to win. He is just a funny guy


I think he loves himself more then anything/body.

Avery is a tool, and the Rangers will have a similar type situation like LA did with him.

Just give it a year.

Sabres in 5

SingnBluesOnBroadway 04-24-2007 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpw (Post 9060463)
I think he loves himself more then anything/body.

Avery is a tool, and the Rangers will have a similar type situation like LA did with him.

Just give it a year.

Sabres in 5

What are tonights lottery numbers?


LA thought so little of him, they resigned him. Interesting.

Meathead 04-24-2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLH (Post 9060381)
Buffalo was totally complacent against the Islanders. I was concerned they might overlook the Rags as well, but I'm not anymore. Avery is a godsend.

good pernt

in the last two seasons there hasnt been a single guy to get under the skin of the sabres the way avery is trying right now

and if he tries to pull a chris neal the sabres will give the ranger stars the neal treatment right back

when all is said and done ill bet it ends up being mostly just talk. he will end up hurting his team if he presses the issue. the rangers should already know that and if they dont then, well, bring it on and feel the pain


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.