HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Blues Offseason Checklist (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=374721)

Gman7191 04-27-2007 01:22 AM

Blues Offseason Checklist

1. Get a top flight center
2. Sure up the wings
3. Dump extra weight (cash wise)

Feel free to add what you want.

Checker* 04-27-2007 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gman7191 (Post 9091045)
1. Get a top flight center
2. Sure up the wings
3. Dump extra weight (cash wise)

Feel free to add what you want.

1. Make sure Jarmo has a contract

2. Sign guys like Jackson, Gauthier, etc.
3. Nail the draft in June.

barnburner 04-27-2007 07:03 AM

Find a point man on the PP, that can create some productivity with his shot from the point.

Carl Racki 04-27-2007 07:43 AM

I think you and I may have discussed this earlier bb, but my opinion is without that threat up front, they are wasting their time trying to find a point man...there is no viable "threat" coming off the wall or behind the net on the Blues roster...Weight at this stage of his career is just not capable of it, and I'm not sure he ever was while with the Blues. I have seen way too many passes bouncing off opponents' sticks and out of the zone...plus, with the glut of D, I don't see them adding another one who is a pp point man...but hey, I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

2ForRoughing* 04-27-2007 09:15 AM

The offseason can be broken down into two priorities: Preparing the NHL roster for the upcoming season and signing/drafting prospects.

Along the lines of addressing the NHL roster, the Blues needs are pretty simple: scoring depth. We have a roster full of competent defensemen and solid goaltending. We lack scoring depth and pure finesse skills up front. We have the grinders. We need the painters. Center(s) and Winger(s). There's still nobody on the farm ready to step up to that role so we need to look outside the organization to trades or UFAs. Aside from that the roster is set. We don't need a point man on the power play, Brewer damn well better be able to handle that job for the money we're paying him. His time to step up has come. He better start playing like a 4 million dollar a year player, but I don't expect that to happen. Either that or it's time to see Backman develop into a viable offensive threat.
For the prospect we need to have another solid draft and sign our kids before we lose their rights. Pretty simple.

funktasticblues93 04-27-2007 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Racki (Post 9091845)
I think you and I may have discussed this earlier bb, but my opinion is without that threat up front, they are wasting their time trying to find a point man...there is no viable "threat" coming off the wall or behind the net on the Blues roster...Weight at this stage of his career is just not capable of it, and I'm not sure he ever was while with the Blues. I have seen way too many passes bouncing off opponents' sticks and out of the zone...plus, with the glut of D, I don't see them adding another one who is a pp point man...but hey, I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

I agree, the Pointmen are just there, yeah it would be nice to have someone carry the puck in the zone instead of dumping it in, but if you look like for example San Jose, they have Thorton and he can just dominate a powerplay off the walls. I'm not saying we need another Thorton, because he's one of a kind. The Blues just need someone who can keep the zone, I feel Stemp can take Guerin's spot as the shooter, we just need someone to get im the puck

execwrite 04-27-2007 10:32 AM

Find two more Bill Guerins.

Gman7191 04-27-2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Find a point man on the PP, that can create some productivity with his shot from the point.
The guy that comes to my mind is B. Rafalski. Anyone know of any team that are looking to deal a d-man. If so it could be part of a Draft Day Deal, but who knows.

2ForRoughing* 04-27-2007 01:52 PM

I bet you anything at all that if the Blues make a deal they WILL NOT be acquiring defensemen. They will be TRADING dmen, not adding them.

StLooFrenchy 04-27-2007 02:37 PM

1. A true#1 center.

2. Right handed PP point man.

vatali 04-27-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by execwrite (Post 9093025)
Find two more Bill Guerins.

you can have yours back. he is hurt with us anyway.

Robb_K 04-27-2007 04:56 PM

Obtain a top-line centre.

Obtain a young, proven scoring right winger

Find a point man for the PP (right hander would be best), but if current roster player could fill the position adequately LH would be better than nothing. Woywitka's off-season weight training and a lot of work with MacInnis might work out. E.J. and all the other defencemen should get similar training.

fan in oregon 04-28-2007 10:30 AM

A few moves I would make would be sign Tkachuk as our scoring winger, sign Mike
Comrie as our center and also I would sign Robert Esche as the back up goalie. I
wouldnt even offer sanford, cash or cbt a contract, because I dont think any of them
have the right stuff to be in the nhl.

Prussian_Blue 04-28-2007 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan in oregon
A few moves I would make would be sign Tkachuk as our scoring winger, sign Mike Comrie as our center and also I would sign Robert Esche as the back up goalie.

If Tkachuk comes back, he'll play center.

Comrie, I wouldn't mind... for the right price. He's not getting Drury/Briere money.

Esche... :shakehead

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan in oregon
I wouldnt even offer sanford, cash or cbt a contract, because I dont think any of them have the right stuff to be in the nhl.

Good thing for the Blues, then, that you're not in charge of evaluating the goaltenders, or signing them to contracts...

I realize that this is only your opinion, but it really seems to fly in the face of actual reality, and doesn't seem well-informed. Can you tell me upon what, exactly, you're basing your analysis of Sanford, Bacashihua, and Beckford-Tseu's "stuff?"

P_B

:bb:

Robb_K 04-28-2007 12:48 PM

Bacashiua has great reflexes, and good mobility. He just needs to learn more about positioning, reading the play, and get more consistent in his game. He has too many breakdowns in judgement (maybe concentration also?).

In any case, these things are all coachable. Mobility and reflexes aren't. Goalies often don't mature until 28-30. Bacashiua is still young. I didn't like his "pouting" letdown when he was sent back down to Peoria, but I can understand it.

I think he's got a decent chance to become an NHL starting goalie. As Blues' GM, I may decide he's not in The Blues' long-term plans (due to the log jam of young goalie prospects). But, I certainly wouldn't just let him walk away. Despite his not being picked up on waivers when ALL NHL teams had their NHL rosters filled, he'd be worth SOMETHING in a trade package to a team that has recently lost its backup, or an organisation thin at goaltender.

StLooFrenchy 04-28-2007 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan in oregon (Post 9103842)
I would sign Robert Esche as the back up goalie. I
wouldnt even offer sanford, cash or cbt a contract, because I dont think any of them

With what data have you decided that CBT is not NHL material? I will assume that you have seen Sandman and 'Cash play this past season, but the Hyphenator? Have you seen him play, followed his stats or anything at all, or is this a "gut feeling"? Cramps are gut feelings. They result in farts. Farts have the same value as the idea of ditching three of our goalies and signing Esche, who has NEVER defined himself as a bonafide NHL'er.

2ForRoughing* 04-28-2007 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan in oregon (Post 9103842)
A few moves I would make would be sign Tkachuk as our scoring winger, sign Mike
Comrie as our center and also I would sign Robert Esche as the back up goalie. I

I'm torn between ignoring you and attempting to inform you of the basic facts you get wrong in your posts.
To begin with as was reported and as was OBVIOUS at the end of the year last year Keith Tkachuck no longer plays wing and is now more of a defensive player anyway, or at least just as much of one, as an offensive threat. He's a center, get that point straight if nothing else.
Secondly you've not seen enough of Beckford-Tseau to know whether or not he's capable of playing in the NHL. Don't act like you have.
Third, you do NOT simply walk away from an asset like 'Cash. He's young, has talent and has trade value and potential. To let him walk for nothing would be foolish.
Do you mind if I ask how old you are?

fan in oregon 04-28-2007 08:53 PM

First off I think Robert Esche is the perfect backup to Legace. He played fairly well
for Philly before he got hurt. What I like about him is that he may not be flashy but
he doesnt make a lot of mistakes. Plus he will know going in that he will be the backup and not the starter. In the case of the other 3 goalies, lets be realistic fellows! Sanford undrafted free agent, Bacashiua !st round attitude problem and
CBT a 5th rd pick. This not who want as your goalie if Legace goes down. Personally
I think you people have overated all of them. For all you believe that we could get
anything for Bacashiua then why did he pass through waivers so many times. In
the case of Sanford I would be suprised if anybody offered him an nhl contract ever
again. Finally in case of CBT the blues called him up last year and never used him and
now he gets into legal trouble in peoria. Sorry when the number 5 or 6 on the depth chart
you make news on the ice not off it. Plus with Scwartz and now Hiller in Peoria I think
we have enough depth to let them all go and open spaces for Bishop and Berra.

Checker* 04-28-2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan in oregon (Post 9109847)
First off I think Robert Esche is the perfect backup to Legace. He played fairly well
for Philly before he got hurt. What I like about him is that he may not be flashy but
he doesnt make a lot of mistakes. Plus he will know going in that he will be the backup and not the starter. In the case of the other 3 goalies, lets be realistic fellows! Sanford undrafted free agent, Bacashiua !st round attitude problem and
CBT a 5th rd pick. This not who want as your goalie if Legace goes down. Personally
I think you people have overated all of them. For all you believe that we could get
the case of Sanford I would be suprised if anybody offered him an nhl contract ever
again. Finally in case of CBT the blues called him up last year and never used him and
now he gets into legal trouble in peoria. Sorry when the number 5 or 6 on the depth chart
you make news on the ice not off it. Plus with Scwartz and now Hiller in Peoria I think

Huzzah to rambling non-sense! There seriously should be a surgeon general's warning on your post that warns that reading it may be detrimental to your mental health.

Bacashihua=attitude problem? waived many times? Wow, let's maybe get some fact straight before you start ripping somebody.

Esche=ask Philly fans if he "doesn't make alot of mistakes"

Robb_K 04-28-2007 09:36 PM

Quote:

Bacashiua passed through waivers exactly once, not so long after the start of the season, when ALL the NHL teams were set with their #1 goalies, and experienced back-ups. The fact that they weren't willing to lose their experienced backups at that time, to keep the relatively (NHL) inexperienced Bacashiua, reflects little on his potential, or his current trade value to a team who has recently lost (or will lose) their back-up to free agency or in a trade, or to an organisation that is thin at the goaltender position.

I doubt that CBT's mistake in trying to "protect" his girlfriend from a police inquiry will make him an "untouchable". He's still a goaltending prospect, and has some value. Goalies are worth more, individually, than defencemen or forwards, as there are a lot fewer, and when a team doesn't have one, it is more difficult to obtain a competent one.

That is one reason why some organisations retain more than their affiliated teams have roster spots for. In such cases, they loan their extra goalie to a minor league team not in their system. It's allways good to have several competent goalies in the system, as they make great trading chips when another team is desperate for one. Just because Hiller was signed, does NOT mean that Bacashiua or CBT will be jettisoned. It probably does mean that Sanford won't be kept.

Opening a space for Bishop is irrelevant, as he will play AT LEAST one, if not two more years at college.

fan in oregon 04-28-2007 10:23 PM

Sorry about the rambling, the main reason I want Esche is he is a veteran and the others excluding Sanford are not. If you want trade the other 2 go ahead and try
but the return will be minimal at best and at worst you would be stuck with two players who the blues have absolutely no plans for.

PocketNines 04-28-2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan in oregon (Post 9110756)
Sorry about the rambling, the main reason I want Esche is he is a veteran and the others excluding Sanford are not. If you want trade the other 2 go ahead and try
but the return will be minimal at best and at worst you would be stuck with two players who the blues have absolutely no plans for.

Kid, what you're misunderstanding is that the Blues have a veteran journeyman in net already - Legace. With a glut of young talent now pushing through the pipeline, clogging the NHL spot with two journeymen who are not part of the rebuild is a waste. And the development of our goalie prospects is too critical to allow ourselves to waste like that. It has nothing to do with whatever return on Sanford or Bacashiua's RFA rights we might get. We have all these goalies' rights right now, and all but Legace are young enough to be in RFA:

Legace
Bacashihua
Sanford
Hiller
Schwarz
CBT
Bishop
Barulin
Berra
+ whoever we might draft (in hopefully the late rounds) this year.

c-carp 04-29-2007 06:31 PM

I would catagorise our needs as these

1. Sure up the Wings
2. Get a Offensive D-man for PP
3. Get another quality center
4. Get a veteran backup type goalie as insurance incase Sanford and Bacashiua arent the answer here. I wasnt really happy with either last year.

fcpremix88 04-30-2007 07:53 PM

1) Get a major goal scorer.
2) Sign the Euros.
3) Make some deals to clear up defensemen logjam and get offensive wingers/centers.

Stealth JD 04-30-2007 08:08 PM

Quote:

...lets be realistic fellows! Sanford undrafted free agent, Bacashiua !st round attitude problem and CBT a 5th rd pick. This not who want as your goalie if Legace goes down. Personally I think you people have overated all of them. For all you believe that we could get anything for Bacashiua then why did he pass through waivers so many times...

you mean Manny Legace, the 8th round pick in '93? :sarcasm: