HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Habs '04 Draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=37691)

montreal 12-21-2003 08:18 AM

Habs '04 Draft

Is 6 months away I know. I've been starting to look over some of the players available for the draft and what the Habs may be looking at.

As of now we have 11 picks. I know we get the Hawks pick (4th or 5th) for the Berezin trade. Then we get the Sharks 3rd from the Hackett deal, no? then all of our picks.

Will Gainey step in and try to get more of his type of guys, or will he let Savard and Timmins get the job done. I say this cause we have zero guys from the WHL. We have little presence in the OHL, as Lock and Deveaux should be gone next year, and Flood is old enough to play in Hamilton next year. In the NCAA we will have 1 player (O'Byrne) next year. I know that you take the BPA, but in the later rounds I'm wondering if Gainey tries to address the physical toughness/size issues.

Guys I've seen O'Neil, Wolski, Strafford interest me but it's impossible to say where we will be picking since it's so far away yet.

Guy Caballero 12-21-2003 08:45 AM

You know the old maxim: Never draft your current needs. Draft the best talent available. I think Gainey will let Timmins, Gauthier, and Savard do their jobs and let them decide who they will pick. If we are in a position where we have a top-10 pick, Gainey might exert a little more influence, but it looks like we'll be drafting around 15, and I hear the pool gets weak after number 10, so scouting exprertise will be required. That's why I think Savard will be making the decision. If anyone can find the late-round gem, he can.

Habsaku 12-21-2003 09:19 AM

Gauthier is a professional scout, I don't think he has anything to do with drafting.

Top Corner2 12-21-2003 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
Is 6 months away I know. I've been starting to look over some of the players available for the draft and what the Habs may be looking at.

As of now we have 11 picks. I know we get the Hawks pick (4th or 5th) for the Berezin trade. Then we get the Sharks 3rd from the Hackett deal, no? then all of our picks.

Will Gainey step in and try to get more of his type of guys, or will he let Savard and Timmins get the job done. I say this cause we have zero guys from the WHL. We have little presence in the OHL, as Lock and Deveaux should be gone next year, and Flood is old enough to play in Hamilton next year. In the NCAA we will have 1 player (O'Byrne) next year. I know that you take the BPA, but in the later rounds I'm wondering if Gainey tries to address the physical toughness/size issues.

Guys I've seen O'Neil, Wolski, Strafford interest me but it's impossible to say where we will be picking since it's so far away yet.

I hope we continue to draft hard working gritty players....but it would be nice to have someone other than a defenseman have some size.

Top Corner2 12-21-2003 10:17 AM

Also does anyone know what kind of draft year it is supposed to be? I know it won't be as good as last years....any idea what kind of players are coming up this year?

SpezNc 12-21-2003 10:28 AM

Why not Kyle Chipchura.....

and maybe Joe Barnes in the second round

Mike8 12-21-2003 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Corner2
Also does anyone know what kind of draft year it is supposed to be? I know it won't be as good as last years....any idea what kind of players are coming up this year?

It's said to be a top-heavy draft with some gems in the top 5-7, but thins out after that. Canadian talent in this draft is limited, while Russian and European in general talent level is high. Don't be surprised to see the top 5 players selected all being European.

While I've heard it's supposed to be a top-heavy draft with a thin amount of talent in the mid to late first round, keep in mind that it's Canadian sources making these statements. Since this is more of a European-focused draft, it's hard to say at this point whether it's truly limited in its depth, or whether it's just Canadian scouts/media being unaware of the amount of depth there is from Europe in this draft.