HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   How good are professionals? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=377019)

Slats432 05-04-2007 11:08 AM

How good are professionals?

We had a guy that is in the CHL (Central Hockey League) play as a sub on our team last night. He scored a few beauties....blew by their defense as a whim....

The guy is playing minor pro, but to us, amazing skill.

I can't even fathom how good an NHL player would be to play against.

Talent Analyst 05-04-2007 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slats432 (Post 9174179)
We had a guy that is in the CHL (Central Hockey League) play as a sub on our team last night. He scored a few beauties....blew by their defense as a whim....

I know someone who had play against marty brodeur . He just say that as on the floor , he stop everything . He were unbeatable and it were looking easy for him .

Grave77digger 05-04-2007 12:23 PM

I think alot of minor pro guys have the skill to play in the NHL its just that they dont have size, strength, speed, or work ethic to make it.

PensBeerGeek 05-04-2007 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talent Analyst (Post 9174557)
I know someone who had play against marty brodeur . He just say that as on the floor , he stop everything . He were unbeatable and it were looking easy for him .

That's why most professional goalies end up moving out when they move into an amateur hockey league....it would be impossible to score on them and really wouldn't be too pleasurable (well, it might be fun at first to try to score on an NHL goalie, but I imagine it would get old rather quickly!)

Ken Wregget still lives in the Pittsburgh area and from everything I've heard he plays defense, and Ken Wregget was hardly in Brodeur's class.

That's when I say a guy sucks, I have to pause and think that he'd still dominate my rec league :D

slade 05-04-2007 12:35 PM

here is an idea of how hard it is to play pro:

out of everyone ive ever played with (over a 15 year span) ive only heard of ONE person who cracked the AHL. his name is kevin mitchell and he is in the ECHL now i believe as an offensive defenseman.

granted NY isnt really a hockey hotbed....but he was the best player as a youngster by far within a 3 year radius...and he wont crack the NHL.

everyone you see in the league is an amazing player.

TaiMaiShu 05-04-2007 12:42 PM

Anyone remember that Montreal fan last year skate in and take a shot on Theo last year during a practice? Good stuff.

2x4* 05-04-2007 12:44 PM

You have to be elite and nothing less. Even andrew peters could be considered elite.

Some people I can think of from the Buffalo area off the top of my head that were drafted into the NHL are: Aaron Miller, Lee Stempniak, Patrick Kaleta, Drew Larman, Todd Marchant, Brooks Orpik (went to my school not born here though), Philippe Sauve, obviously Patrick Kane next seasons draft, and then Shane Sims and Russ Tuzzolino were drafted by the islanders and they are from here as well. Those are just active players IDK about retired ones.

WhipNash27 05-04-2007 01:16 PM

They are insane put it that way. Even the crappiest of NHL players could school all of us.

slade 05-04-2007 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRChazzer (Post 9175551)
They are insane put it that way. Even the crappiest of NHL players could school all of us.

the worst player in the nhl was known in his school/city/town/village for his hockey skills.

he would rip us to the point where we wouldnt want to play anymore.

2x4* 05-04-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slade (Post 9175629)
the worst player in the nhl was known in his school/city/town/village for his hockey skills.

Well I am sure that maybe perhaps there was SOMEONE maybe in like 1917 that wasnt as good as some people on here are. :)

slade 05-04-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zubrus15 (Post 9175242)
You have to be elite and nothing less. Even andrew peters could be considered elite.

Some people I can think of from the Buffalo area off the top of my head that were drafted into the NHL are: Aaron Miller, Lee Stempniak, Patrick Kaleta, Drew Larman, Todd Marchant, Brooks Orpik (went to my school not born here though), Philippe Sauve, obviously Patrick Kane next seasons draft, and then Shane Sims and Russ Tuzzolino were drafted by the islanders and they are from here as well. Those are just active players IDK about retired ones.

how good do you think he is compared to your average beer leaguer?

what it comes down to is this....patrick kane is the single best player in the US with birthdate 88-89.

that is pretty freakin insane.

RangersMoogle 05-04-2007 01:39 PM

If you can make it into any minor-pro hockey league, you got skill. The NHL is like the Formula 1 of hockey. Only the best of the best can make it.

sc37 05-04-2007 01:59 PM

They're pretty good. Played with some Euro pros before...definitely had skill. Only reason I can see why they didn't make it in the NHL or anything was their size and their skating. They're fast, but their stride was reallllly ugly at least the one guy was...

Played with college women's hockey players too and they still got a step or two on a C level beer leaguer.

slade 05-04-2007 02:04 PM

ive played with the womens olympic team during a tour in NY. i expected them to be better. (granted some of our coaches played some euro pro.)

i played with luc robitaille once in chelsea piers...he was insane.

Puck Farise 05-04-2007 02:12 PM

Yea I can't even imagine playing against the worst of NHL players. Playing in beer league roller hockey last year, we had a guy sub for us who captained UMass-Boston's ice hockey team a while back (I don't know what exact span he played there, but he was playing in 96-97). We were 1-6 and the 2nd worst team in the league, other team was 7-0 and the clear cut best team in the league (a team we lost to 13-3, they beat 14-4...match up wasn't even close).

The guy was ****en insanely skilled. He single handedly dominated the game, scored 6 goals, including the shootout winner and we won 8-7 in a shootout. All I had to do was try and force a turnover playing defense, and pass off to him...goal.

Ended up rematching them in the playoffs without super-sub...lost 18-6, ouch.

mooseOAK* 05-04-2007 02:13 PM

We're an intermediate adult team, basically older guys iwho got as far as prep and high school hockey, and we have this girl that plays for us in the summer who is a top Division III player and she is very good at our level but not dominant.

slade 05-04-2007 02:17 PM

queens NY, (where im from) had some seriously skilled roller hockey players in the mid to late 90s (teenagers for the most part) mainly glendale, woodside, and ridgewood areas.

the best players usually had ice hockey backgrounds. a hockey foundation based on roller hockey can lead to a lot of bad habits. (tendency to keep head down, hog the puck, jumping stride, not really pushing through),

TBLfan 05-04-2007 02:26 PM

Well let's see... they get paid to play a game we pay to play. They're THAT good.

slade 05-04-2007 02:30 PM

we also pay to go and see them play.

eeeek

(very good thread BTW) :yo:

stick9 05-04-2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slats432 (Post 9174179)

Ok, you thought that minor pro guy was amazing. That guy goes to an NHL training camp and thinks those guys are amazing.

Someone told me Sergei Samsonov used to show up their drop in skate once and awhile. He said Sergei would flip his stick over and use the butt end instead of the blade and he still made them look foolish.

sc37 05-04-2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stick9 (Post 9176721)
Ok, you thought that minor pro guy was amazing. That guy goes to an NHL training camp and thinks those guys are amazing.

Someone told me Sergei Samsonov used to show up their drop in skate once and awhile. He said Sergei would flip his stick over and use the butt end instead of the blade and he still made them look foolish.

Haha...I'm thinking of all the possibilities, like playing with the opposite hand. But every time I'm still like...nah, I'd get burned still:D

2x4* 05-04-2007 04:54 PM

Well I think I could take sergi one on one if his stick was upside down. The legality of what I do might be questionable but I could get him off the pick :D

I have never played with Kane or seen him really IRL so I dont know but one of my friends played with him when they were kids and he said he was atleast 2-3 levels above everyone else age wise when he played. I forgot which level I think it was squirt but my friend said his skill was good enough for midgets.

I think the biggest thing that sets pros apart from everyone else is their strength and confidence. I think those are the 2 biggest factors.

Transported Upstater 05-04-2007 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaiMaiShu (Post 9175230)
Anyone remember that Montreal fan last year skate in and take a shot on Theo last year during a practice? Good stuff.

:bow: RAPHAEL IS GOD :bow:

EazyB97 05-04-2007 05:54 PM

Most are incredible. Take a look at Dan Bylsma's book, it'll give you an idea of how good fringe NHLers are. I've playe with a handful of pro's that aren't terrific after their playing careers, but everyone who was playing pro hockey at the time I played against them was extremely impressive.

RJ8812 05-04-2007 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slade (Post 9175629)

nah, Antropov does actually suck....:sarcasm: