HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Grade Jagr, The Captain (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=377883)

poeman 05-07-2007 02:47 AM

Grade Jagr, The Captain

I think it was the first time in a long time we have had a player wear the C on his chest. And Jagr finally did it this year.
Grade his overall play, influence,leadership, etc...

He to me was allright this regular season, felt shanahan had more of a leadership and motivation role then him.. so i give him a B there.

But oh boy he sure did show heart and motivation and do what a captain does this playoffs... jagr played with more intensity then anytime in his career i felt.

His reactions after scoring goals,playmaking, defensive help, physical play, and you could see emotion in him.
Sure gets a A to A- in the playoffs

whats your grade on him?

Balej20* 05-07-2007 03:06 AM

It's tough because I don't know how hurt he was this year. How much the shoulder was affecting his game. Or maybe the years are catching up to him, but he def. took a few steps back from last year. Overall I give him a B or B-, I just get annoyed when at times he shows no effort, for example coming off the ice for a line change. That bothers me. But other than that, he was the teams best offensive player and the team probably wouldn't make the playoffs without him.

TheZherdev 05-07-2007 03:14 AM

rangers fans are like a double edged sword. Last year everyone was crying out for him to take the captain spot. This year he lost a step, but still had a good season in my mind, but people started to complain that he wasnt fulfilling what was expected of a captain. And you wonder why he was skeptical to begin with about taking the C...

Brooklyn Ranger 05-07-2007 03:44 AM

B+

Jagr did very well considering the circumstances. Coming off the shoulder injury was difficult enough. Shouldering the expectations of the organization and its fans was even harder.

Ranger35 05-07-2007 03:49 AM

The only thing that really bothered me was the times where he took it easy getting to a line change. There's no reason to hurt the team with a slow change. Other than that, I think all things considered he was an A-/B+ if you look into his play in the playoffs.

You could really feel his pain when they lost game 6, he wants to bring the Stanley Cup to NY, and I'm sure next season with a healthier shoulder he could once again challenge for the Art Ross.

Balej20* 05-07-2007 04:03 AM

If they could have had the Jagr of last year, this year, wow...I think we'd be preparing for round three right about now.

johnny_rudeboy 05-07-2007 06:20 AM

A- or a very big B++++.

Think he did very well and even more so considering he have been playing with a shoulder injury.

FLYLine24 05-07-2007 06:43 AM

A-

Didn't have a great regular season coming back from the injury, but he got stronger as the season went on, and when the playoffs came around..he showed us why he had the C on his chest. He battled harder then anyone every shift in the playoffs.

poeman 05-07-2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 9203529)
A-

Didn't have a great regular season coming back from the injury, but he got stronger as the season went on, and when the playoffs came around..he showed us why he had the C on his chest. He battled harder then anyone every shift in the playoffs.

youre absolutely right...the man was on fire in the playoffs.
i guess he knows now next year to play every freakin game with passion to get a better seeding and home ice advantage... talk about how much that helps

RangerSteve 05-07-2007 11:28 AM

First 3/4 of the season: C+
Last 1/4 of the season: B
Playoffs: A+++

The guy got better when it came down to crunch time. Initially I don't think he understood how tough it was to handle adversity in the room. The combination of him and Shanny really cam through to solidify everything. Jagr was playing like a man possessed and I hope he is 100% healthy starting next season.

HockeyBasedNYC 05-07-2007 11:52 AM

I give him a B+.

Outstanding in the stretch run and playoffs but there were times during the season he let the team down or wasn't saying the right stuff.

Yeah its a long season but thats what i think.

I DO think though, he turned a corner this year as far as establishing himself as a leader, but he had to learn it the hard way a few times, overall a solid B+.

Good season.

Not as many goals this year, but a good season.

Fletch 05-07-2007 12:34 PM

As a captain?

I have no idea because captains do things to which we are not privy. Scoring goals, and gutting it out doesn't always make you a good captain. A lot of people in the lockerroom have spoken about Shanny throughout the playoffs. Guys like Cullen, Avery and Lundqvist. They all mentioned him saying the right things at the right time, keeping them relaxed, etc. Some people in professional sports believes that being a decent communicator is necessary to be a decent 'captain'. So to that end, I can't speak. As a player, and a guy who gutted it out and cared, I give him a B during the regular season and an A+ in the playoffs.

Inferno 05-07-2007 12:43 PM

B for the overall season.

garyuk 05-07-2007 12:44 PM

regular season a B-

playoffs c

i think weve seen the best of him now.

ThirdEye 05-07-2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyuk (Post 9205556)

I doubt it. He still needs to work on his shot which hasn't been as good as last year. I don't think it was anything but the shoulder problems that were holding it back. Hope to see another great year from him next time around.

I rate him a B. If it weren't for a few stupid penalties he took in the playoffs I would have gone up to A

pld459666 05-07-2007 01:22 PM

He wasn't totally healthy to start the season and alot of the way we played earlier in the year was attributable to the way he was playing.

If he had the same kind of year healthy he gets a D, but he took a step back from last season due to the injury and still had a very solid year and for that he gets a B+

Nylander, he gets an A

RothmanHockey 05-07-2007 01:34 PM

B+... If this is just playoffs, he gets A+, but for the entire season, I give him a B+... he did a real nice job all season and really stole the show in the playoffs.

mnorman1 05-07-2007 01:47 PM

Why can't I vote on any polls? Another silly 90 day restriction? Lameee

chosen 05-07-2007 02:04 PM

How can Jagr not get an A?

Without him we don't even make the playoffs. Lundqvist is the only other Ranger that is true for.

Add in that he was probably the best non-goalie on the ice for every playoff game.

blue425 05-07-2007 04:38 PM

B+

Whole season.

FLYLine24 05-07-2007 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyuk (Post 9205556)
regular season a B-

playoffs c

A b- for the season i'm fine with, but a C for the playoffs? He was an animal every game in the playoffs which I can't say the same for in the season.

ATLANTARANGER* 05-07-2007 08:59 PM

Obviously he was hurt for much of the season, that or he let his condition affect him mentally. He showed that he truly cares, he is a fierce competitor and extremely proud. I for one was frustrtaed with his play and what I mistook for indifference, being afraid that is was a repeat of his wanning days in Pittsburgh and Washington. You never really know a player until he plays for your team and you really watch him.
He's led his way. You have to respect that.

nyrmessier011 05-07-2007 11:05 PM

As a player: A

As a captain: B/C

Can't take away from his ability to play and keep the room loose, but it's tough to impress me by just leading by example with his ability on the ice. He is often lazy with his defense and takes a lot of selfish penalties, penalties which most of the time are useless (leaders can sometimes takes the "right" penalties if you know what I mean). There's just no quality verbal leadership that you need to be a champion in my opinion, at least when your team doesn't have the amount of skilled players needed to win it all. Of course there's a big of a language barrier in the way so you need to give him that.

Also want to make note that I was one of those who believed Renney's job should be considered by management. Although not as adamant and verbal as some on the boards about the firing, I have to say that the coaching staff did a very nice job keeping this team in check during the run and for setting up a game play to stop the Buffalo offense, atleast in 4 out of 6 games. I was wrong and I have found belief in the Rangers staff for the first time in about a decade.

HAPPY HOUR 05-07-2007 11:29 PM

If your gonna post an F for a grade at least explain to us why??
I have Jags as a A-..

tjs252 05-07-2007 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chosen (Post 9206368)
How can Jagr not get an A?

Without him we don't even make the playoffs. Lundqvist is the only other Ranger that is true for.

Add in that he was probably the best non-goalie on the ice for every playoff game.

Amen