HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What FA Would you desire the most? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=378187)

I Am Chariot 05-07-2007 11:26 PM

What FA Would you desire the most?

You can have ONE juicey Free Agent signing this summer.

Please feel free.....

BigE 05-07-2007 11:33 PM

Ideally, I'd like to see a 2nd line center brought in - someone like Drury would be nice. However, does that come at the expense of Brandon Dubinsky playing next season?

It's a catch 22 all the way around. Bring in some FAs and see your young players development suffer, or bank on your younger players and gamble that they'll be able to handle the work load.

If we bring in another competent defense what does that mean for a guy like Staal or perhaps guys like Baranka?

lotus 05-07-2007 11:49 PM

it's such a tough poll because it really depends how much they demand. If foppa decided he wants revenge on philly for bangin his lady or something and decides to come to NY at a 4 mil contract for 1-2 years; and Drury wanted 4 years 5 mil a pop, then it's an easy call (maybe not when I think about it, but the points there)

But in the real world Drury is the more sane pick. Even if I never will forgive him.

Can I have Drury and Souray? ^.^

HAPPY HOUR 05-07-2007 11:50 PM

Drury. I'd add Rafalski to my list of targets.

I Am Chariot 05-07-2007 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus (Post 9213724)

Can I have Drury and Souray? ^.^

I dont think so. I didnt even add our own FA to that poll.

Ranger35 05-07-2007 11:54 PM

I'm thinking Scott Hannan, although that might not really count as juicy. I really would like to see Dubinsky, Callahan, Dawes, Byers and maybe even Bourret if he has an unreal camp get a real chance.

The more obvious inclination is Drury, but I think he's going to get a whole lot more than we want to give.

lotus 05-07-2007 11:55 PM

I have a feeling that whoever ends up with Souray is going to overpay.

But lordy lord with him on the PP, we will never hear a "shoot the puck" chant again.

RangersMoogle 05-07-2007 11:55 PM

Smyth. Character, grit, points.

I Am Chariot 05-07-2007 11:56 PM

I'd pick Souray just for that shot. Pair him with a steady and let it ride.

If Shanny retires, I'd consider Forsberg. But having both Shanny and Forsberg would probably be, EXCITING, but a step in the wrong direction.

I Am Chariot 05-07-2007 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger35 (Post 9213778)
I'm thinking Scott Hannan, although that might not really count as juicy.

I almost put him in the poll, but he did not juice up enough

Lundqvist=Vezina 05-07-2007 11:58 PM

Give me Scott Hannan, this guy is really underrated and is one of the best shut down dmen in the game IMO.

Balej20* 05-08-2007 12:03 AM

Out of those guys, give me Souray, and its not even close

Problem is he's gunna get thrown a TON of money, ala Briere and Drury, throwing them out of a reasonable price range

Ranger35 05-08-2007 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina (Post 9213824)
Give me Scott Hannan, this guy is really underrated and is one of the best shut down dmen in the game IMO.

Just what I was thinking. :cheers:

lotus 05-08-2007 12:09 AM

Yeah I really don't see anyone giving into a price thats worthwhile to the Rangers. Why overpay for someone like Souray when for all we know, we have a D man ready to go in the AHL? If the price is right do it but I wouldnt press too hard for free agents should it become a bidding war.

Then again, we do have some space...bah this is screwing with my mind. Bed time.

LeftCoastRangersFan 05-08-2007 12:19 AM

I didn't vote simply because I'd be happy with any of them EXCEPT Souray, whom I'd vote NOT to have at any costs.

TomLaidlaw 05-08-2007 12:20 AM

I voted for Drury.

The UFA's who interest me this year are....

Chris Drury(I love him but I have a feeling someone is gonna give him a silly longterm deal)

Sheldon Souray(as long as his price tag isn't ridiculous, no longer than a 3 year deal too)

Andrei Markov(if we get priced out of the Souray bidding)

Mike Comrie(I use to not like this guy but his play for Ottawa has changed my opinion of him)

Sean O'Donnell (Good shot and has a real mean streak. We need some sandpaper on our defense.)

Danny Markov (Another nice fallback option if we don't get Souray)

Scott Hartnell (Could fill 2nd line hole if Shanny doesn't get resigned)

Scott Hannan (I love the way this kid plays. I see him as a better and tougher version of Brendan Witt.)

007 05-08-2007 12:28 AM

Drury. He's always been one of my favourite players. If the Rangers don't sign Shanny, Drury takes up his leadership position. He'll contribute on the ice and I can't think of any one player who can serve as a better mentor to young players in the mould of Callahan, Dubinsky, Bourret or the Korpedo.

Lundqvist=Vezina 05-08-2007 12:37 AM

I love Drury but he is gonna get massively overpaid for a guy who has never put up more than 69 points in a season. Besides if I am Buffalo I'd get Drury before Briere, I think they are gonna lock him up.

Inferno 05-08-2007 12:41 AM

If Forsberg would sign just a 1 year deal, then i pick him.

otherwise my choice is NO free agent signings (outside of our own guys)

Block More Shots 05-08-2007 12:45 AM

Chris Drury=Hockey God

Enough said.

Inferno 05-08-2007 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waiting for Dubi (Post 9214307)
Chris Drury=Hockey God

Enough said.

the problem thats been brought up most often, which is correct, is that if you bring in drury, you are either saying goodbye to Nylander, or Dubinsky.

Drury is going to want at least 4 or 5 years, and nylander will probably want min 2.

dubinsky cant rot in the minors for 2 years, hes already pretty close as it is.

if you sign Forsberg for a 1 year deal, you can leave dubinsky in the minors, and he can take over when Forsberg goes on his usual mid-season skate search.

PromNite 05-08-2007 12:56 AM

Can I vote 'none'? Cuz I vote none. :)

Lundqvist=Vezina 05-08-2007 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inferno272 (Post 9214351)
the problem thats been brought up most often, which is correct, is that if you bring in drury, you are either saying goodbye to Nylander, or Dubinsky.

Drury is going to want at least 4 or 5 years, and nylander will probably want min 2.

if you sign Forsberg for a 1 year deal, you can leave dubinsky in the minors, and he can take over when Forsberg goes on his usual mid-season skate search.

While I sort of like that idea, I don't really like paying Forsberg a lot of money when we know he is gonna be injured. Although I agree with the concept of signing a center for 1 year.

eco's bones 05-08-2007 01:21 AM

I went with Gomez. He's younger. I would feel more comfortable giving him 5 years because that is what that kind of player will be looking for. I'm not sure we're going to need to be looking for a d-man. If I had my choice from that list it would be Stuart--though having someone like Souray would make our pwp very potent at least until Jagr left. Again we're probably in the 4-5 year range with both of those guys and Stuart being an all around better player. Hannan is a good choice also. Again don't know if we're going to need to shore up our D this summer. One big strike--someone who can handle 2nd line center might be all we need.

007 05-08-2007 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inferno272 (Post 9214351)

It had always been a dream for me to see Forsberg in Ranger blue, but I don't want any part of him anymore. He's been through too much and is totally compromised. If he's going to kill himself on the ice, I'd rather it not be with the Rangers.

Sorry to quote myself...but the last time we had this discussion, this is what I had to say on the topic of Drury:

Quote:

Drury is a 2nd-line centre. Nylander will be resigned, but he, Jagr, Shanny and Straka probably won't be playing until they're 40, so a guy like Drury can play 2nd-line for the Rangers, and as he gets older, eventually cede that roll to a guy like Dubinsky. Now I'm not in favour of giving Drury a 6-year $42M contract or anything like that, but if he's available at the right price (which would still be quite high), he'd be worth serious consideration.
To edit what I said here, I actually can see an argument for giving Drury a long-term contract, too. He's so smart and so competitive that he'll remain an effective player even as he starts to lose a bit of strength and speed (which shouldn't happen for another 4 or 5 years).

I actually think having a second-line centre like Drury could aid Dubinsky's development, so that he can ease into the role, instead of being thrown to the lions and expected to perform. From what I saw of him this season at the NHL level, he still needs time to get his offensive decision-making up to speed to be an effective second-liner. That'll happen, but there's plenty of time yet: he only turned 21 less than two weeks ago.