HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Jagr question (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=378744)

Jagr68Lundqvist30 05-09-2007 02:21 PM

Jagr question

Didnt he say he'd retire after next season?

It was reported last year, he's supposed to go to the Czech Republic

Anyone know?

mrhockey193195 05-09-2007 03:25 PM

He kinda mentioned it in a postgame interview last season, but I think that was Jagr being Jagr and trying to be dramatic.

Fact of the matter is, he loves NY, and he proved to himself and to the world that he's still a world class player at 35 years old. I think he stays in the NHL (and subsequently with the Rangers) for at least 2 more seasons, possibly 3 or 4.

cringer 05-09-2007 03:39 PM

Jagr's contract ends at the end of the 07-08 season. There might be an option year after that, not sure.

I have definitely read quotes from him saying that he will retire and go home to Europe at the end of this contract (he'll be 36).

But that was a few years ago... and as of right now Jagr's is talking about coming back next year in better shape than he's been at any time in the last 2 seasons. He seems genuinely enthused about next year.

So take those quotes with a grain of salt. Hanging it up for good is no small decision and if Jag's is happy here he may just stick around a few more years.

On the other hand, he's been doing this since he was 18... so he may really be tired of it.

BTW - Scary when you think that at only 35 years old Jagr is the 12th leading scorer in NHL history. If he did decide to play into his late 30's he will very likely pass Messier as the #2 all time scorer

Midnight85 05-09-2007 03:40 PM

Problem is Jags has always maintained throughout his career that no matter what he'd retire when he was at the top of his game. I think the Rangers have two more years of Jagr then he'll ride off into the Czech sunset as a national hero.

Corto 05-09-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cringer (Post 9230909)

BTW - Scary when you think that at only 35 years old Jagr is the 12th leading scorer in NHL history. If he did decide to play into his late 30's he will very likely pass Messier as the #2 all time scorer

He also missed a season and a half due to lockout, arguably both in his prime.

FLYLine24* 05-09-2007 04:15 PM

I thought he already signed the extension last offseason for the 08-09 season?

Staggarelli 05-09-2007 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 9231273)
I thought he already signed the extension last offseason for the 08-09 season?

For some reason i am under the assumption that the 08-09 year is a team option.... could be wrong thou...

Personally, I think he will go hard next year and if the team falls short, showing no promise of the cup the following year, he will retire... I'm predicting 2 years left for him in the NHL....

RangerSteve 05-09-2007 06:02 PM

No matter what, I think in the playoffs and down the stretch Jagr was the best he has been in a very long time. The production wasn't there like in the 05-06 season, but he drove to the net and he seemed to be the quickest guy on the ice on many nights. With us having Jagr on our roster, it shows this organization is going to be more than serious about going after the Cup while keeping an eye on the future.