HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   What is our biggest need at the draft. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=37942)

SmokeyClause 12-22-2003 08:52 AM

What is our biggest need at the draft.
 
What need do we need to address most in the first round of next years draft.

PredsMan 12-22-2003 09:34 AM

best player available...

Joe T Choker 12-22-2003 10:29 AM

I went with SNIPER FORWARD, that is the last component we need, with the callup of Shishkanov, it is pretty apparent that we need a sniper or two.

HyperSniper 12-22-2003 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
What need do we need to address most in the first round of next years draft.

Can't have too many Snipers if you ask me :D

Olaf 12-22-2003 03:55 PM

If the best available happens to be a large centerman who can fill up the net and has a nasty streak.....well that would be fine with me.
:p

SmokeyClause 12-22-2003 06:16 PM

I should clarify, best player available is anyone who we consider slightly better than anyone else available. He could be anyone from a 5'5" center to a 6'6" goalie (Dubnyk). You can't assume he's anyone.

tulsytrid1 12-22-2003 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I should clarify, best player available is anyone who we consider slightly better than anyone else available. He could be anyone from a 5'5" center to a 6'6" goalie (Dubnyk). You can't assume he's anyone.

Best available.

hillbilly 12-23-2003 03:49 AM

I don't think we need to address this in the 1st round but in the later rounds we need to draft the toughest SOB in the WHL for a replacement for McKenzie after he retires next year!

Danger D 12-23-2003 06:42 AM

We need a forward who can consistantly put the puck in the net...a game-breaker of sorts.

tulsytrid1 12-23-2003 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tulsytrid1
Best available.

Let me clarify... if the best player is a smooth puck moving, smallish, offensive D-man, my hope is we trade up or down. My hope is a foward with sniper skills, but if a two-way foward is rated better, than I would take the 2 way foward.

Predshockey17 12-23-2003 11:35 AM

We really need someone whos ready now.

barrytrotzsneck 12-23-2003 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ester
We really need someone whos ready now.


ehh...it's not like we didn't have any competition at training camp this year. it's not like we just plugged people in. i wouldn't be HAPPY that one of these guys could make the team right after being drafted...i'd be concerned at our depth that it could happen.

Danger D 12-23-2003 03:49 PM

So far in all our drafts, we've picked the #1's in the following order:

Center
Goalie
Wing
Dman
Wing
Dman

That is a complete first unit. Now do we start over? I think we're still missing a game breaking Center, but I think should take any consistant scoring forward as the next 1st round pick.

Samkow 12-24-2003 07:34 AM

Um, this isnt football...

99% of all picks picked are who the teams deem to be the "best avaliable player".

triggrman 12-24-2003 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zherdev Fan
Um, this isnt football...

99% of all picks picked are who the teams deem to be the "best avaliable player".

So Pittsburg moved up in the draft because they deemed Fleury the player available?

Samkow 12-24-2003 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman
So Pittsburg moved up in the draft because they deemed Fleury the player available?

They deemed him the best avaliable player in the draft. They also deemed Goltending their biggest need in the future. So They decided to move up. Sort of like Columbus with Nash.

barrytrotzsneck 12-24-2003 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zherdev Fan
They deemed him the best avaliable player in the draft. They also deemed Goltending their biggest need in the future. So They decided to move up. Sort of like Columbus with Nash.


i see your point..but there are exceptions. say that something happens and we lose 3\4 of our next games...and end up with...say...the 5th choice in the draft. spots 1-4 go as everyone predicted they would(with the first overall pick, Columbus selects Ovechkin :D ) and the guy that everyone has picked to go 5th is a stud d-man. Just beyond him, there is a decent power forward and a smallish scorer. Well, the best available player is a d-man, but when compared to our needs, it would be silly for us to pick him...when we're almost running out of spots for the next couple of years with what looks like it will be one of the most formidable defenses in the league...Suter, Hamhuis, Klein, Stehlik, Weber, Sulzer and that's not to mention the fact that Zidlicky and Eaton are still pretty young. The only one I think will be giving up a spot in the next couple of years is Timonen. With this glut of d-men...would we pick another one...just because? or would we take a SLIGHTLY bigger chance and take the scorer...something we don't have much of in the system(outside shishkanov, gamache and glazachev)? Or maybe a power forward...which...again...we've got Hartnell..and Segal in the system...but not much beyond that. I think you're wrong when you imply that teams take the best available player...no matter what. If that were the case, I think Suter would have been taken before Milan Michalek, but with San Jose's blueline being pretty solid, they addressed a need. I think "best available" is definitely in regard to deficiencies on that particular team.

hillbilly 12-24-2003 09:01 AM

at the risk of sounding ignorant who is Segal?

Joe T Choker 12-24-2003 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly
at the risk of sounding ignorant who is Segal?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect.php?pid=2991

http://www.nashvillepredators.com/te...sp?item_id=307

Samkow 12-24-2003 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
i see your point..but there are exceptions. say that something happens and we lose 3\4 of our next games...and end up with...say...the 5th choice in the draft. spots 1-4 go as everyone predicted they would(with the first overall pick, Columbus selects Ovechkin :D ) and the guy that everyone has picked to go 5th is a stud d-man. Just beyond him, there is a decent power forward and a smallish scorer. Well, the best available player is a d-man, but when compared to our needs, it would be silly for us to pick him...when we're almost running out of spots for the next couple of years with what looks like it will be one of the most formidable defenses in the league...Suter, Hamhuis, Klein, Stehlik, Weber, Sulzer and that's not to mention the fact that Zidlicky and Eaton are still pretty young. The only one I think will be giving up a spot in the next couple of years is Timonen. With this glut of d-men...would we pick another one...just because? or would we take a SLIGHTLY bigger chance and take the scorer...something we don't have much of in the system(outside shishkanov, gamache and glazachev)? Or maybe a power forward...which...again...we've got Hartnell..and Segal in the system...but not much beyond that. I think you're wrong when you imply that teams take the best available player...no matter what. If that were the case, I think Suter would have been taken before Milan Michalek, but with San Jose's blueline being pretty solid, they addressed a need. I think "best available" is definitely in regard to deficiencies on that particular team.

I doubt it. A good example is when you guys took Brian Finley :D with the 6th Overall Pick in 99. I doubt Nashville needed another goltending prospect, with Vokoun still very young, but you took one anyways.

Besides, all you get is another asset, which can easily be traded for other assets when the time comes.

barrytrotzsneck 12-24-2003 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zherdev Fan
I doubt it. A good example is when you guys took Brian Finley :D with the 6th Overall Pick in 99. I doubt Nashville needed another goltending prospect, with Vokoun still very young, but you took one anyways.

Besides, all you get is another asset, which can easily be traded for other assets when the time comes.


we took finley because he was supposedly the best goalie to come along in a while. a franchise kind of guy. vokoun looked, at the time, to be nothing more than a career backup. we had NO ONE in the systemas far as goaltenders, and so finley was the obvious choice. i'm sorry..but i still think that you don't take the "best available,"'' unless it's something you have room for. You take the best available in regard to what you need. Florida didn't need Nash. Columbus didn't need J-Bo. they were able to deal because of that.

hillbilly...keep an eye on Brandon Segal. He's lighting it up in the Dub this year, and will definitely at least be in Milwaukee next year(should have been, this year). Power forward with a booming shot,and along with Setzinger, was the best forward in camp this year.

barrytrotzsneck 12-24-2003 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
we took finley because he was supposedly the best goalie to come along in a while. a franchise kind of guy. vokoun looked, at the time, to be nothing more than a career backup. we had NO ONE in the systemas far as goaltenders, and so finley was the obvious choice. i'm sorry..but i still think that you don't take the "best available,"'' unless it's something you have room for. You take the best available in regard to what you need. Florida didn't need Nash. Columbus didn't need J-Bo. they were able to deal because of that.

hillbilly...keep an eye on Brandon Segal. He's lighting it up in the Dub this year, and will definitely at least be in Milwaukee next year(should have been, this year). Power forward with a booming shot,and along with Setzinger, was the best forward in camp this year.

haha, whoops..just after i typed that..i read that he JUST signed, and has been assigned to milwaukee :yo: :handclap:

SmokeyClause 12-24-2003 01:40 PM

I think you should take the best player available with exceptions. If the best player available is a playmaking Dman, I'd rather pass. Either by moving up or down or by selecting someone else (as long as the talent is similar).

I'm not sure if we need a sniper as bad as everyone thinks. Shish has the chance to be golden. I'd love to see us analyze that and go from there. If he turns into everything we hoped and forces his way on to Nashville's roster for the remainder of the season AND we like what we see from Glazachev, we might not go that route. I'd like to see another big, crease clearing Dman. They are hit or miss and I don't want to rely on Stehlik being that guy unless we feel that weber will be that guy.

triggrman 12-25-2003 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
Or maybe a power forward...which...again...we've got Hartnell..and Segal in the system...but not much beyond that.

Cough, adamhall, cough, ahem, sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokey
I'd like to see another big, crease clearing Dman. They are hit or miss and I don't want to rely on Stehlik being that guy unless we feel that weber will be that guy.

You mean another to go along with Robert Schnabel right?

Enoch 12-25-2003 01:28 PM

If we somehow got the 5th draft choice and Cam Barker is available.......we would be fools not to select him. I dont care what our needs are, some times you have to take the best player availabe b/c he can be head and shoulders above the others. If the skill levels are close.....then I might select the need, but in general, you take the best player availabe b/c you never know what your teams needs will be in a few years.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.