HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   OFFICIAL: Bäckström, Caps agree to terms (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=380083)

Systemfel 05-14-2007 05:42 AM

OFFICIAL: Bäckström, Caps agree to terms

Nick Bäckström and the Capitals have agreed to a three-year deal.

Bäckström gets an Ovechkin-like contract with maximum base salary plus rookie bonuses.

The contract will be signed within two weeks.

http://www.hockeysverige.se/news_sho...html?id=129648

NoMeSudes 05-14-2007 05:54 AM

Great to hear. When's the first time wee can expect to see him? Isn't there a prospect camp coming up? Any chance he'd play there?

mattihp 05-14-2007 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the article
- Mina planer är att åka över och se om jag tar en plats, för jag vill inte spela i AHL, utan åker då hellre hem till elitserien och Brynäs igen.

Translates too...

"
My plan is going over and see if I get a spot on the team, because I don't want to play in the AHL, then I'd rather go back home to the SEL and play for Brynäs.
"

I have little doubt that he makes the team... But if he doesn't the AHL would be what he needs. He won't get better playing for Brynäs, and if he is not ready for the NHL, the AHL is where he needs to be, to adapt to the north american game.

hdw 05-14-2007 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMeSudes (Post 9272493)
When's the first time wee can expect to see him?

You can have a little preview of the two chums here :)

http://img.aftonbladet.se/sport/0705/14/backis438.jpg

EHCler 05-14-2007 07:26 AM

Great news. :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

Should help us in convincing Freeagents to come here. One less hole to fill.

usiel 05-14-2007 07:58 AM

Great news though and its about time. In celebration this deserves its own thread ;) . The first move of the off season is made.

Foy 05-14-2007 09:25 AM

Phase 1 complete.
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit.

Tomppav 05-14-2007 09:31 AM

After watching NB playing at World champs I'm not sure how big impact he will make next season. Most of games he was quite invisible and that's the way it has been almost all year with national team, both juniors and men. Kessel, Toews, Johnson... they all had better World Champs tournaments than NB.

I hope Caps fans won't expect a AO-like rookie season from him, because he probably can't give them that kind of performance. I'd be very happy if he scores about 50 points.

Foy 05-14-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattihp (Post 9272552)
Translates too...

"
My plan is going over and see if I get a spot on the team, because I don't want to play in the AHL, then I'd rather go back home to the SEL and play for Brynäs.
"

I have little doubt that he makes the team... But if he doesn't the AHL would be what he needs. He won't get better playing for Brynäs, and if he is not ready for the NHL, the AHL is where he needs to be, to adapt to the north american game.

If he can't make the Caps, then something is seriously wrong.

pgreene 05-14-2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomppav (Post 9273196)
After watching NB playing at World champs I'm not sure how big impact he will make next season. Most of games he was quite invisible and that's the way it has been almost all year with national team, both juniors and men. Kessel, Toews, Johnson... they all had better World Champs tournaments than NB.

I hope Caps fans won't expect a AO-like rookie season from him, because he probably can't give them that kind of performance. I'd be very happy if he scores about 50 points.

i've kinda been thinking this way too. i'd much rather expect less and be pleasantly surprised. i just want to see some chemistry, see some solid potential and the occasional brilliant pass.

HockeyCritter 05-14-2007 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMeSudes (Post 9272493)
Great to hear. When's the first time wee can expect to see him? Isn't there a prospect camp coming up? Any chance he'd play there?

Camp will be July 9 - 14th this year (if I'm remembering correctly).

Did someone blog/write/report that Backstrom might be coming over next week with his parents (sign contract, find a place to live, etc)?

BrooklynCapsFan 05-14-2007 09:44 AM

Quote:

I'd be very happy with 50 points...particularly if it breaks down to about 10-15 goals with 35-40 assists.

I think most of us are realistic about him. He's a smaller player and he's going to play in a more physical league and about 2 times as many games as he's ever played in a season. He's got a lot to deal with.

In order, I hope that he: keeps his head up, adapts to the smaller ice surface, survives the 82 games, bonds with his teammates/improves his English, and scores about 50 points.

I do expect a big improvement in 2008-2009 though.

usiel 05-14-2007 09:45 AM

I know I'm not going to expect an AO-type season from Backstrom points or impact wise this next season. He's a pass first/possession type player (which is the type the caps can use). The Caps have AO/Semin for their game breakers.

The Viking Fury 05-14-2007 09:46 AM

He can't be any worse than Beech, so I have expectations of at least that

Foy 05-14-2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Viking Fury (Post 9273277)
He can't be any worse than Beech, so I have expectations of at least that

Well, he could be worse than Beech.

mattihp 05-14-2007 10:17 AM

Quote:

The swedish team, much like the finnish team lacked natural scorers. The caps don't.

Cush 05-14-2007 10:19 AM

I like how if you run it through an online translator, his agent is "Gunnar Swede"

The Viking Fury 05-14-2007 10:19 AM

Foy, technically thats possible, but realistically, I don't think so

hdw 05-14-2007 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cush (Post 9273448)
I like how if you run it through an online translator, his agent is "Gunnar Swede"

Bad translator then.

Svensson is amongst the most common swedish surnames.

I think the translator is tricked by fact that 'Svensson' is also used to describe the average swede.

Crazyhorse 05-14-2007 11:26 AM

Quote:

I don't know which World Championship youve been watching. In the tournament i where watching, Bäckström outscored AO and was one point behind Kessel. I agree he wasn't anything particular, but Caps is a different team, he can expect alot of ice time. In the national team, BÅG roll all the lines, and have no special powerplay lineups at all.

Johnsson was a healthy scratch for the most part.

Anyway, nice to see that he is heading over, hopefully he will work out this summer, and make adjustments.

Tomppav 05-14-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyhorse (Post 9273839)
I don't know which World Championship youve been watching. In the tournament i where watching, Bäckström outscored AO and was one point behind Kessel.

Yes, he was point behind Kessel, but he also did play two games more than Kessel. And please, don't talk about AO. He played an awful tournament, he looked like someone had affected him with Kovalchuk's old habits. I know he was frustrated because of his ice time and role, but he also played quite often bit selfish game.

Quote:

I agree he wasn't anything particular, but Caps is a different team, he can expect alot of ice time. In the national team, BÅG roll all the lines, and have no special powerplay lineups at all.

Maybe I should have said that Kessel and Toews had more spectacular tournaments than NB. Their game looked more like NHL-ready to me. The biggest disappointment with NB was that his passes looked really soft in last 2 games. From time to time he looked like a boy among the men IMO. Positive is that he showed he has same kind of vision like Oatsie had. I hope I'll be wrong about him, but I think he will have some problems to adapt to NHL game.

Quote:

Johnsson was a healthy scratch for the most part.

Which one? I was talking about Erik and I think he played atleast the last two games of tournament.

EYEuhFRAYtee 05-14-2007 12:46 PM

Good to hear...I'm not worried about point totals, with AO and AS the points will come.

Even Strength ... Pass puck to Semin

Power Play ... Pass puck to Ovechkin or Semin

Langway 05-14-2007 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foy (Post 9273209)
If he can't make the Caps, then something is seriously wrong.

Yeah, if he can't make the Caps then he can't make any other NHL team.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyCritter (Post 9273241)
Did someone blog/write/report that Backstrom might be coming over next week with his parents (sign contract, find a place to live, etc)?

OnFrozenBlog did.

I'm not terribly concerned about Backstrom's offensive performance next year. He's bound to be on the ice with at least one of two of the most talented young snipers in the game...that can only be good for his game. It's not like he's coming into the league with no outstanding finishers to compliment his pass-first style. I wouldn't expect anything rivaling an Ovechkin-type rookie year but he could put up some impressive numbers if he's consistent all year long. What I'll be paying more close attention to are his defensive game and how he adapts to the North American game overall.

usiel 05-14-2007 01:41 PM

It really seems that Backstrom's skillset is almost more suited for the smaller NHL sized rinks with his oates-like close in passes. I would think that he would be at the rookie camp so we should get a little more evaluation as far as predicting how he might handle everything.

CertifiedPublicGuin 05-14-2007 01:49 PM

This is good stuff to hear, congratulations guys... even from a Pens fan's perspective, it's good for the league... I can't wait to watch Ovechkin and Backstrom together be it on the PP or on a regular unit. I was personally crazy about Backstrom in the 06 draft and wanted the Pens to take him, but I guess I'm perfectly content with Staal ;) . Enjoy the excitement, guys.