HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   tinted visors and problems with light (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=380244)

lotus 05-14-2007 05:35 PM

tinted visors and problems with light

There's a few threads related to this but they're rather old and I have a few slightly-different questions to throw out there anyway.

Firstly who uses a tinted visor? Do you get alot of crap for it?

Ever since I began wearing contacts, bright lights have bothered me and created a sort of starburst like effect, I'm not sure how else to describe it.

Does anyone know of anything else that can help with the problem I have? It's not with all lights by any means, but really bright things like LEDs, HIDs, and in my lucky case, the hockey rinks around here (maybe just cause it reflects off the ice / boards so its x2).

I'd rather not wear one if only for the reason that I don't want everyone calling me Ovechkin, and I don't want to look like a poser either. But this is becoming frustrating to deal with, and my vision is far too bad to continue playing without contacts.

But, i should note, this problem only occurs when contacts are in. My vision is crap and I have an astigmatism, and I use astigmatic contacts.

Geogaddi 05-14-2007 06:38 PM

I wear a Tinted visor because of light myself. I used to use a clear one for a long time, until i used a friend of mines. Quite a difference, and not nearly as bad of a glare.

Seems like it would be perfect for you to use. Either that or the mirror visor. Give it a try

Wooty 05-14-2007 08:11 PM

If you have starbursts or flares, I would check your contact lenses.
Make sure they are moist and not on inside out.

MikeD 05-14-2007 08:14 PM

There are sport related contacts that have a built in tint to improve vision. I have the same issue with glasses or contacts. With Glasses I went with a 50% Grey tint and the problem was solved. For Hockey with corrective lenses I just cant get a handle on it. My vision isn't so bad and I get a double image of the puck (one over the top of the other) that converge into one as it closes the gap. I think this actually helps me track the puck but I was going to try the sport tinted contacts at some point. Talk to your optometrist.

sc37 05-14-2007 08:20 PM

I've worn tinted glasses for a long while. Once I switch to new specs or possibly go contacts, I'll be getting a tinted visor. It won't be mirroroed though cause that's just excessive IMO.

Usually lighting isn't a problem as far as I can tell except on one rink I play on sometimes cause it has windows all along one side of the rink and it aims west. So our evening games cause me a lotta issues with the sunset.

Backstrom #19 05-14-2007 09:21 PM

What about a blue visor it has a little tint and should help with that and you won't get the Ovie crap.

lotus 05-15-2007 01:21 AM

All good advice, just wanted to say thanks and all suggestions are welcome. I think the most important thing for me is going to be making sure the contacts are not dry.

Cappy76 05-19-2007 03:58 PM

I use a Mirror visor and I love at 1st I heard alot of crap for wearing it everyone calling me Ovie and what not but I also found that them doing that made me raise my game. Kinda like I wanted to live up to the visor and what people were calling me. After awhile they'll leave you alone.

mazzinov 05-21-2007 10:32 AM

I wear a tinted visor as well. I don't hear anyone talking about me. I find it really helps with the glare. A clear visor would give me migraines, and it was suggested I get sports contacts or a tinted visor. I went with the visor, a wise investment if I do say so myself.

CaptBrannigan 05-21-2007 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultimate1 (Post 9334346)
I wear a tinted visor as well. I don't hear anyone talking about me. I find it really helps with the glare. A clear visor would give me migraines, and it was suggested I get sports contacts or a tinted visor. I went with the visor, a wise investment if I do say so myself.

Same situation I'm in. I didn't really feel like changing contacts before and after every game.