HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Cuts on the outside of the ankle (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=380411)

JLHockeyKnight 05-15-2007 12:16 AM

Cuts on the outside of the ankle

Hey all,

I'm playing both ice and roller hockey. I have a tendency to tie my laces around my ankle once to stiffen my ankle. I've tried playing with it regularly but the boot is way too loose for me. From both my roller and ice skates the laces rub on the outside after playing for more than an hour and a half or so, causing cuts on the outside of my ankle. I waited for the skin to calis(can't spell) over but it's taking a long time. They've healed enough that it doesn't bleed or anything.

Any tips to keep my ankles stiff so that I don't have to wrap my laces around like that?

Should I try wrapping my ankle directly with tape before putting them on? Though this may be painful by pulling out hair, it might work.

Thanks in advance.

Happy Pony 05-15-2007 01:18 AM

Try higher socks.

Or instead of tape, use an ace bandage...or tape it with pre-wrap under the tape.

sc37 05-15-2007 01:25 PM

Get a better fitting boot...that's all there is to it. Shouldn't be a reason to tie your laces around your ankle or have any other support if your ankles are strong enough and your skate fits. Plus the laces might wind up breaking down your boot

Blindsided 05-15-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trlewis4 (Post 9282422)
Try higher socks.

Or instead of tape, use an ace bandage...or tape it with pre-wrap under the tape.

This always works. After i starting wearing higher socks i stopped getting cuts and it felt a lot more comfortable skating.

sc37 05-15-2007 06:09 PM

I wear high socks too...but the main quote is

Quote:

I've tried playing with it regularly but the boot is way too loose for me.

WhipNash27 05-15-2007 07:03 PM

Higher socks are the key. Also if you don't wanna wrap it around your ankle, use clear tape instead.

JLHockeyKnight 05-15-2007 08:23 PM

I use my regular socks that go halfway up my shins. Crew socks.

I was thinking, should I try taping around the outside of my sock at the part where the cuts start?

We'reGonnaWin* 05-16-2007 04:36 PM

Your skates will wear out fast if you tie the laces around your ankle. So when they do wear out, make sure you place them with proper fitting skates!!!

bleedgreen 05-16-2007 04:39 PM

loose ankles in the first place indicate bad fitting skates. maybe next time look for a pair that has a deeper boot.

JLHockeyKnight 05-20-2007 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trlewis4 (Post 9282422)
Try higher socks.

Tried Pre-wrap and it worked great in my last game. Thanks for all the help guys!

donelikedinner 05-21-2007 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU (Post 9282154)
Hey all,

I'm playing both ice and roller hockey. I have a tendency to tie my laces around my ankle once to stiffen my ankle. I've tried playing with it regularly but the boot is way too loose for me. From both my roller and ice skates the laces rub on the outside after playing for more than an hour and a half or so, causing cuts on the outside of my ankle. I waited for the skin to calis(can't spell) over but it's taking a long time. They've healed enough that it doesn't bleed or anything.

Any tips to keep my ankles stiff so that I don't have to wrap my laces around like that?

Should I try wrapping my ankle directly with tape before putting them on? Though this may be painful by pulling out hair, it might work.

Thanks in advance.

you need to strenghten your ankles so you don't have to rely on the skates to hold you up. when i was a kid i wanted moulded skates because they were new and helped hold my ankles in place, but i wasn't allowed to get a pair until i could skate in my old leather skates with the laces untied. by the time i could skate without tying my laces, i didn't want or need moulded skates because they actually restricted the full range of motion of my ankle.

cr7 05-26-2007 09:54 PM

if u want a ankle tight skate, buy the rbk pumps, really good ankle stiffness...

Granlund2Pulkkinen* 05-26-2007 09:58 PM

thicken up the sox and put cotton on the sores while you're playing (had the SAME exact problem)

JLHockeyKnight 05-27-2007 09:38 AM

I use prewrap now and thicken up my socks around my ankles.

Marns 05-27-2007 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by We'reGonnaWin (Post 9298763)
Your skates will wear out fast if you tie the laces around your ankle.

Why is that?

Berger_4_ 06-06-2007 11:42 PM

it cuts through your boot

and don't wrap them, it'll eff up your achilles tendon
the only way to get a tighter boot is a better fitting skate

Toonces 06-07-2007 12:49 AM

Something is wrong. You are either in the wrong skate, either sizewise, or other, or you need to stregnthen your ankles. Wraping your laces around your ankles give the illusion of support, but what they really do is restrict your ankle movement.

This is a bad idea, you need to reconsider this alful habit.

Vagabond 06-07-2007 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU (Post 9282154)
Hey all,

Thanks in advance.

You either have wide feet/ankles, your skate is the wrong fit, or.. you're wearing the left skate on your right foot or something, because that is weird.