HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Esche sent home for more rest (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=38139)

DanKordicsFist 12-23-2003 06:39 AM

Esche sent home for more rest

This, apparently, means Hackett will start tonight. I was wondering if Hitch might start Nittymaki but then I wondered if they keep him out because it wouldn't be fair to play him because the team isn't going to give him much of a chance to succeed. Maybe he's too young to hurt his confidence right now. Any thoughts?

Blindside9711 12-23-2003 06:50 AM

I'd start 'Tero anyways. Hackett's been nothing but a waste of a uniform out there. I mean, he might as well just throw on the jersey of whatever team we're playing that night. Let's call a kettle black, if he's not throwing games, then he just plain sucks.

swflyers8* 12-23-2003 06:51 AM

Quote:

I wondered if they keep him out because it wouldn't be fair to play him because the team isn't going to give him much of a chance to succeed.
I don't get what you mean here? Are you saying that the Flyers team wouldn't give Antero a chance to succeed? :dunno:

DanKordicsFist 12-23-2003 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swflyers8
I don't get what you mean here? Are you saying that the Flyers team wouldn't give Antero a chance to succeed? :dunno:

I mean with their play lately it wouldn't give him the BEST chance to succeed. Hackett was never a great goaltender and the team played STRONG in front of him. Part of the problem is the team play right now.

Remember a couple of years ago when Barber put Little out there because the team was faltering and he got LIT UP. Nittymaki is much younger and would be prone to losing confidence in himself, I think.

This is just a thought, not the fact of the situation as far as I know.

Rails 12-23-2003 12:24 PM

Little had also been in the AHL for at least 10 years by the time of his NHL debut. Niittymakii is only in his second season in North America. He should get a taste of the NHL before he gets too used to the AHL's game style.

RoDu 12-23-2003 03:31 PM

play Antero the rest of the seaon, I'm ready to run Hackett out of town already

DanKordicsFist 12-23-2003 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
play Antero the rest of the seaon, I'm ready to run Hackett out of town already

Nittymaki, Little, the 8 year down the street. I don't care who, just not Hackett.

Jiggs 12-23-2003 05:07 PM

Does Hitch plan on starting Esche against Colorado?

John Flyers Fan 12-23-2003 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiggs

I would certainly think so.

Steve L* 12-23-2003 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiggs

If not, I think we should have a whip round to get him some glasses.

Fla.Flyer.Fan 12-23-2003 06:03 PM

We have too be looking at a situation where Hackett only started tonight and Sunday because Esche's injury is acting up - right? I mean, when he's finally 100%, he has to be the #1 guy.
Does anyone know what the deal is with Esche.Is it a serious re-injury or was he just given a couple extra Christmas "holi-days" to be good to go Saturday and beyond?

John Flyers Fan 12-23-2003 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fla.Flyer.Fan
We have too be looking at a situation where Hackett only started tonight and Sunday because Esche's injury is acting up - right? I mean, when he's finally 100%, he has to be the #1 guy.
Does anyone know what the deal is with Esche.Is it a serious re-injury or was he just given a couple extra Christmas "holi-days" to be good to go Saturday and beyond?

Not a re-injury. Just some extra rest, he was a little sore, but nothing major. Better to be safe than sorry.

Brad* 12-23-2003 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Not a re-injury. Just some extra rest, he was a little sore, but nothing major. Better to be safe than sorry.

Good to know it wasn't a re-injury. I got home just as the game started and saw Hackett in net and Niittymaki in the bench and got worried, but it doesn't sound serious.

RoDu 12-24-2003 02:11 PM

the Official site says he's back on the injury list :mad:

DanKordicsFist 12-25-2003 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
the Official site says he's back on the injury list :mad:

I didn't read it but I heard he may NOT make the trip out west, at least not right away.

This may go back to my theory, and it is just MY theory, that Hitch is letting them lose on their own, and if that means they won't play better in front of Hackett he'll let Hackett stay in net, and when they are done losing "their way" he will have a captive audience to teach the right way to play. Last year he rode them pretty hard all year. Right now he is giving them quite a bit of slack for playing as badly as they have.

I've been in situations where I would say let me do it my way and I would fail and fail and fail. When I went back and had to, HUMBLY, ask how to do it, I was ALL ears. I could focus better on the direction I was given. Like I said, it's just a theory, but Hitch seems like a real methodical coach who very much likes to use psychology as one of his coaching tools.

RoDu 12-25-2003 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanKordicsFist
I didn't read it but I heard he may NOT make the trip out west, at least not right away.

This may go back to my theory, and it is just MY theory, that Hitch is letting them lose on their own, and if that means they won't play better in front of Hackett he'll let Hackett stay in net, and when they are done losing "their way" he will have a captive audience to teach the right way to play. Last year he rode them pretty hard all year. Right now he is giving them quite a bit of slack for playing as badly as they have.

I've been in situations where I would say let me do it my way and I would fail and fail and fail. When I went back and had to, HUMBLY, ask how to do it, I was ALL ears. I could focus better on the direction I was given. Like I said, it's just a theory, but Hitch seems like a real methodical coach who very much likes to use psychology as one of his coaching tools.

I agree, my old football coach did somthing like that too, but be that as it may, we still need Esche to win, Hackett's a dud

Fla.Flyer.Fan 12-26-2003 11:26 AM

Just saw that Esche will go on the westward road trip this week.No idication if/when he will play.