HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Possible Lines... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=381676)

mti79 05-19-2007 01:26 PM

Possible Lines...

Just wondering what everyone thought the lines would look like next year. There are obviously dependent on who we re-sign but everyone can make their own judgments. I'm new here so you'll have to excuse me if someone else has done this already.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Avery-Drury-Shanahan
Callahan-Cullen-Prucha
Hossa-Betts-Orr

I know nobody likes that possible 4th line but seeing as how 2 of them are signed already, they're going to get a chance to lose the job. I'm also obviously stating that we should re-sign both Nyls and Shanny and go out and get Drury. His intangibles and leadership would help this team find the direction that we lost at times last year. Again, just a thought. I may change my mind later in the thread.

tronylon 05-19-2007 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mti79 (Post 9320106)
Just wondering what everyone thought the lines would look like next year. There are obviously dependent on who we re-sign but everyone can make their own judgments. I'm new here so you'll have to excuse me if someone else has done this already.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Avery-Drury-Shanahan
Callahan-Cullen-Prucha
Hossa-Betts-Orr

I know nobody likes that possible 4th line but seeing as how 2 of them are signed already, they're going to get a chance to lose the job. I'm also obviously stating that we should re-sign both Nyls and Shanny and go out and get Drury. His intangibles and leadership would help this team find the direction that we lost at times last year. Again, just a thought. I may change my mind later in the thread.

I really don't understand why alot of people are putting that line back together for our first unit. I know Renney reunited the high finesse line against Buffalo but there are tons of reasons why it would make no sense for the start of the season. Here are a few:

a) Jagr likes having a big body on his line that can do legit dirty work in the offensive zone. Nylander and Straka (although with 82 not as much) are more puck possession guys who aren't grinder cycling type players.

b) The line puts all of our finesse in one basket. I really don't see Avery as a 2nd line guy if we are trying to move forward this year. Who knows if we'll sign drury, but at Shanny's age, we need a bit more guranteed skill on the 2nd line. When we put Nyls Straks and Jags all on one line, you lose the finesse they bring on all other units we put out. I think its better to put Straka on a 2nd line in order to take some offensive pressure off Avery and spread out the potential for high skilled offensive production. I know he wasn't fantastic as a second liner, but Straka was injured at that point in the season. I think a healthy Straka with Shanahan and another center would be pretty scary depthwise for opposing teams.

c) The line is too one dimensional--this is kind of an inverse of my 2nd point. The line is so finesse oriented that it is potentially easy to shutdown. If you are able to put an intimidating defensive pairing (Witt earlier this year) that is effective on a line like that, the scoring can really be kept to a minimum. While the 'new-nhl' does indeed value finesse, a line like that can still be easily supressed by the big strong blueliners and defensive forwards (Pandolfo) you see in today's game.

d) Wear and Tear- I think over the course of an 82 game season, this line has some serious potential for injuries. Without a physical forward to compliment our two finesse guys, teams are going to take aggressive runs at this unit (again, Witt ect.). I don't think its neccesary to have some goon riding shotgun, the game isn't played that way anymore. But this line can run into some serious injuries because of what I mentioned in point C, teams' big hitters are going to be raring to light up these finesse oriented players.

mti79 05-19-2007 02:27 PM

Hmm.. point well taken. What do you suggest?
Hossa-Nylander-Jagr (Hoss not a big guy, but worked well on this line)
Prucha-Straka-Shanahan (Put some skill and speed together, hope they can finish off chances)
Avery-Cullen-Callahan (lot of speed, energy and forechecking ability)
Rookie-Betts-Orr (Throw a kid or someone with the 4th line to give him ice time... maybe Dawes gets another shot or put Hossa here with someone else on the top line?)
Again, just thoughts, want to see what others think.

John Torturella 05-19-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mti79 (Post 9320544)
Hmm.. point well taken. What do you suggest?
Hossa-Nylander-Jagr (Hoss not a big guy, but worked well on this line)
Prucha-Straka-Shanahan (Put some skill and speed together, hope they can finish off chances)
Avery-Cullen-Callahan (lot of speed, energy and forechecking ability)
Rookie-Betts-Orr (Throw a kid or someone with the 4th line to give him ice time... maybe Dawes gets another shot or put Hossa here with someone else on the top line?)
Again, just thoughts, want to see what others think.

In my opinion, for this team to get to the stature of 100% Stanley Cup contender, the likes of Orr, Hollweg and Betts must be out of here. They are 1 dimensional players, meaning they are not well rounded at all. They have one strength and everything else is weakness. With the way the game is played today, well rounded players are neccessary to a true Cup contender. I am not saying that you can not win the Cup with these players BUT our best chance to win the cup is to have well rounded 4th line players. Hopefully we can look to our minorleague system for well rounded 4th liners.

broadwayblue 05-19-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motime42 (Post 9320638)
In my opinion, for this team to get to the stature of 100% Stanley Cup contender, the likes of Orr, Hollweg and Betts must be out of here. They are 1 dimensional players, meaning they are not well rounded at all. They have one strength and everything else is weakness. With the way the game is played today, well rounded players are neccessary to a true Cup contender. I am not saying that you can not win the Cup with these players BUT our best chance to win the cup is to have well rounded 4th line players. Hopefully we can look to our minorleague system for well rounded 4th liners.

I'm not sure we need to eliminate all of them...but 1 or 2 certainly need to go.

tronylon 05-19-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motime42 (Post 9320638)

I agree to a point, but my agreement ends when you throw Betts in that group. I think Blair Bletts is an extremely valuable asset to this team. He can face off, he can get the puck deep and cycle, he kills penalties and backchecks. Moreover, his offensive acumen isn't stellar, but it is certainly a step above that of Hollweg, Orts and Orr.

Maybe I will get flamed for this statement, but here it goes: Blait Betts is a fourth line player on a Stanley Cup winning team. I agree we need better guys on the wings of the 4th unit, but if we get rid of Betts, his lack of presence will be noticed more than many anticipate.

The Thomas J.* 05-19-2007 03:23 PM

I will reserve my line combonations until mid to late july, & even than they will be "sugguested lines"

Brian Boyle 05-19-2007 05:01 PM

Straka/Hossa - Nylander - Jagr
Avery/Straka - Drury - Shanahan
Prucha/Avery - Cullen - Callahan
Hossa/Prucha - Betts - Orr/Hollweg

depending on who's hot and whatnot

I Am Chariot 05-19-2007 05:38 PM

Hossa - Nylander- Jagr
Straka - Forsberg - Shanahan
Avery- Cullen - Callahan
Korpedo - Dubinsky - Prucha

Rosizival - Malik
Tyutin - Girardi
Staal - Mara

Finest 05-19-2007 05:41 PM

Just curious, not trying to insult anyone but why do so many people think Drury will be here next season? Or is it just wishful thinking? :)

Geogaddi 05-19-2007 05:43 PM

Straka - ?? - Jagr
Avery - ?? - ??
Callahan - Cullen - Prucha
Hossa - Betts - ??

Malik - Rozsival
Tyutin - Girardi
Mara - ??

Lundqvist
??

Those seem to be the open spots in the line-up with out those who are Eligible for Free Agency. Correct me if im wrong

Those With Free Agency:
Nylander
Shanahan
Ortmeyer
Rachunek
Weekes

NYROrtsFan 05-19-2007 05:52 PM

People put Straka on with Nylander and Jagr there because the only other options are Avery and Prucha. Well, neither of them fit well there so it is Straka.

Plus, those three have dominated games before so it is known that they can play extremely well at times.

And Mara is not a FA. He'll be here next year on that third pairing.

Basically, looking to next year, the team looks like they'll have 3 legitimate 2nd pairing types of pairs next year.

Rozy Malik
Girardi Tyutin
Mara Staal

All could handle being the 2nd pair on any team in my opinion. That is a good thing to have and not a ton of teams have that depth in the NHL.

Ottawa has made it clear that the need is a good mix on your team... Have to have an element of physicality (the rangers do have that for the most part), playmakers and finishers.

I think we are short one playmaker on the 2nd line because Shanny is certainly a finisher.

A lot to like about Drury. My only issue with him is the money that it's going to cost along with the fact that he doesn't necessarily create goals for other players. But that would be one hell of a character line with Avery and Jagr.

Drury growing up a big fan of the Rangers will help imo, if the Rangers determine to go after him.

Brian Boyle 05-19-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 (Post 9323384)
Just curious, not trying to insult anyone but why do so many people think Drury will be here next season? Or is it just wishful thinking? :)

not that it's overly unlikely, but wishful thinking.

Fletch 05-19-2007 07:20 PM

Tough to make lines...

I think the roster may change a bit before the start of the season. They may target a centerman to man the second line. They may or may not target a defenseman. They may or may not target a winger. It's tough. This team is only a couple guys short of going further in the playoffs, and at the same time have a couple youngsters who may be ready, while having many guys vying for the same position.

Finest 05-20-2007 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -31- (Post 9323907)
not that it's overly unlikely, but wishful thinking.

No I understand that its a possibility, but there are a lot of Ranger fans that I have spoken to,not just on here, that feel he is going to be a Ranger no if's and's or but's. I sure as heck wouldn't mind him in Ranger blue next season, so I guess we will have to wait and see :)

RFAN 05-20-2007 12:51 PM

Wish List...

? - Nylander- Jagr Would like a big body that hits and goes to the corners. Would rather someone other than Hossa but would use him if we had to. Still not sold that he has turned the corner yet.

Avery- ? - Shanahan or FA We all know we need another big productive center. Not sure who, although I'd love to be able to steal one of the Sabres big boys. As for Shanny, I would take him back if we couldn't find an upgrade. We do need someone to complain to the reffs that they respect, right?

Prucha - Cullen - Callahan Again I'd like a guy who can dig the puck out of the corners, hopefully Callahan becomes even better next year and can fill that roll. If he does I might even move him up to the first line for a few games and see how it goes but more likely he's on the 3rd.

Korpedo - Betts - Dubinsky Don't really know what to do on the 4th, just know Betts Orr Holly is no good! Maybe if Orts is around he plays.

Rosizival - ? Would really love a big name Dmen WHO HITS but not sure its going to happen.

Tyutin - Girardi Get Tyutin hitting again is a must.

Staal - Mara Staal maybe ready but we'll have to find out.

Malik I know we are stuck with him, hopefully he works hard in the off season and decides to play nastier but I doubt it.

Overall our D needs some work in the toughness department, they must do a better job protecting the King Damit!

The King
? Don't know who just not Weekes.

I really think the team needs a little more balance when it comes to toughness, we got to keep the other teams on their toes when each line gets on the ice. I liked how the teams defensive system worked at times, next year we need to build on it with someone on the ice that will throw a big check ever shift. Then I think we move to the next level.

Geogaddi 05-20-2007 01:34 PM

You kinda left Straka out, because he did just re-sign a new contract.

RFAN 05-20-2007 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzai12 (Post 9328381)
You kinda left Straka out, because he did just re-sign a new contract.

Yea, I know but I kind of think its time to move on. Would use him as trade bait if we could.

Inferno 05-20-2007 02:18 PM

im going to do a few variations...

1)Ideal Scenario IMHO

Hossa - Nylander - Jagr
Shanahan - Forsberg - Horton
Avery - Straka - Callahan
Cullen - Betts - Prucha

this of course is taking into account a few things...That Horton can be acquired for something along the lines of Montoya, Dawes, a first rounder, etc, Forsberg signs for 1 year and 1 year only, same with shanny. youd have the jagr line for posession and scoring, the forsberg line for posession, size, scoring, and lots of shots, youd have the avery straka callahan line for pestering, tons of speed, and scoring, and the betts line which has 2 defensively aware guys, and a good amount of speed with enough scoring to let you run 4 lines out there unabashed.

most likely scenario:

Hossa Nylander Jagr
Avery Straka Shanahan
Prucha Cullen Callahan
Dawes Betts Orr/Hollweg/Dubinsky on wing

there are variations you can imagine, between the least likely, and most likely, but any variation of the players given would make me 100% a-ok

Defense: I would assume it will look like this..

Rozsival Malik
Tyutin Girardi
Staal Mara

of course if it were up to me, Malik would be replaced with Staal, and youd have either Pock, Baranka or Sauer on your 3rd pairing.

jas 05-20-2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inferno272 (Post 9328712)
im going to do a few variations...

1)Ideal Scenario IMHO

Hossa - Nylander - Jagr
Shanahan - Forsberg - Horton
Avery - Straka - Callahan
Cullen - Betts - Prucha

this of course is taking into account a few things...That Horton can be acquired for something along the lines of Montoya, Dawes, a first rounder, etc, Forsberg signs for 1 year and 1 year only, same with shanny. youd have the jagr line for posession and scoring, the forsberg line for posession, size, scoring, and lots of shots, youd have the avery straka callahan line for pestering, tons of speed, and scoring, and the betts line which has 2 defensively aware guys, and a good amount of speed with enough scoring to let you run 4 lines out there unabashed.

most likely scenario:

Hossa Nylander Jagr
Avery Straka Shanahan
Prucha Cullen Callahan
Dawes Betts Orr/Hollweg/Dubinsky on wing

there are variations you can imagine, between the least likely, and most likely, but any variation of the players given would make me 100% a-ok

Defense: I would assume it will look like this..

Rozsival Malik
Tyutin Girardi
Staal Mara

of course if it were up to me, Malik would be replaced with Staal, and youd have either Pock, Baranka or Sauer on your 3rd pairing.

I don't that has any chance of happening. As much as Ranger fans are afraid to admit this, if the Rangers are going to get a...Horton, Marleau, Richards, etc. type of player, Prucha will almost have to be in the deal. The reasons? He's exactly what teams what in the new economy - young, talented and inexpensive.

Inferno 05-20-2007 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas (Post 9328789)
I don't that has any chance of happening. As much as Ranger fans are afraid to admit this, if the Rangers are going to get a...Horton, Marleau, Richards, etc. type of player, Prucha will almost have to be in the deal. The reasons? He's exactly what teams what in the new economy - young, talented and inexpensive.

yep, i know, but thats why i sorta split it up from, my dream line next year (but within the scope of reality), and what will probably happen.

wolfgaze 05-20-2007 03:33 PM

Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Prucha - Gomez - Shanahan
Avery - Cullen - Callahan
Hossa - Betts - Korpikoski

Rosival - Malik
Tyutin - Girardi
Mara - Staal

1st line you know is money... I like having a defensive minded forward (Straka) out there with Jagr and Nylander, who both are guilty of less then stellar back checking

2nd line, you have 2 players who are predominantly finishers playing w/ a play-making Center...

3rd Line, you have PLENTY of speed.... I think Avery is an ideal 3rd line forward... I dont think he should be logging 2nd line minutes.... This line would also have quite a bit of grit w/ Callahan and Avery out there together....

4th line, has good speed and is very responsible defensively.... Idealy, they could generate a little bit of offense too....

Penalty Killers:

Hossa
Avery
Straka
Betts
Korpedo
Cullen

PP Units:

Prucha - Gomez - Jagr
Cullen - Rozsival

Avery/Straka/Cally - Nylander - Shanahan
Mara - Tyutin

NYROrtsFan 05-20-2007 07:19 PM

Agree except are you prepared to be OK with Korpedo logging 4th line minutes? I think in the best case situation, he should be in Hartford to get better offensively. He's the type of player that can become extremely good with continuous games in Hartford.

I think the only player with an argument is Byers because he is one of the older guys in the bunch, can play a physical game and may be at his offensive upside.

BBKers 05-20-2007 08:00 PM

Prucha - Nylander - Jagr
Straka - Horton - Shanny
Avery - Cullen - Callahan
Hossa - Betts - Dubinsky

Waiting: Orr, Hollweg

If Horton is not acquired - which is probably very unlikely anyways - maybe then Forsberg/Gomez/Sundin/Briere/Drury are all viable options as 2nd C with different perspectives on contract length. It might seem strange that Nylander - looking at these others as options - winds up being a nr 1 C - but he has imo earned it

Defense:

Souray - Rozie
Tyutin - Girardi
Mara - Staal

Pck

Uhhhhh in goal:
The King
Newly acquired backup (for Malik) that can win 10 - 15 games

I will explain this later
Nursing a heavy hangover

Fletch 05-21-2007 07:38 AM

No need for Korps...

to play in the NHL, getting fourth line minutes next season. While he's ready to play there, this kid needs to develop his offense and he's not going to do it playing with Betts. He showed some spurts of offense (although I believe he ended on a real whimper, much like Dubinsky), but still has a ways to go. He's only turning 21 this Summer, so he's still quite young.

BBKers - Dubi on a fourth line wing? Not sure how much sense that makes. I'm not even sure they're going to keep a spot open for him in the Fall. He wasn't much down the stretch offensively for the 'Pack, which had to be somewhat of a disappointment for them, and with the team quite close to being a contender, and Jagr's days possibly becoming numbered, it's tough to say which direction the organization will take going into next season.