HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Peca Proposal To Carolina (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=38227)

Mad Mike 12-23-2003 10:50 AM

Peca Proposal To Carolina

Jeff O Neil
For
Mike Peca

Mike8 12-23-2003 10:55 AM

I don't see this working for Carolina. They currently have a glut of centers and have moved Vasicek to wing as a result. The 'Canes already have two good-sized centers with strong work ethics and sound defensive games (Francis, Brind'Amour), and they're in desperate need of goals which is what O'Neill (usually) provides.

Added to that, Carolina would be taking on more salary in this deal, so it just doesn't make sense on any level for them.

Mad Mike 12-23-2003 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
I don't see this working for Carolina. They currently have a glut of centers and have moved Vasicek to wing as a result. The 'Canes already have two good-sized centers with strong work ethics and sound defensive games (Francis, Brind'Amour), and they're in desperate need of goals which is what O'Neill (usually) provides.

Added to that, Carolina would be taking on more salary in this deal, so it just doesn't make sense on any level for them.

from spectorshockey.net

DECEMBER 23, 2003.

PECA FOR O'NEILL?

THE BUFFALO NEWS: Bucky Gleason reports the hiring of Peter Laviolette as the head coach of the Carolina Hurricanes might prompt the club to make an offer for New York Islanders captain Michael Peca. Hurricanes winger Jeff O'Neill is struggling in Carolina this season and might need a change of scenery. Gleason believes the Isles need a scoring winger and the Hurricanes need grit.

Spector's Note: My thanks to regular contributor Dave Caldwell. The problem, of course, is the remaining $10 million on Peca's contract. The 'Canes might be interested but not at the cost of absorbing Peca's salary, unless they pare down elsewhere.

Vagrant 12-23-2003 11:09 AM

While Peca may be a good fit in Carolina, we honestly don't have room for him. Brind'Amour plays a pretty decent game much like Peca does. Francis is up there in age, but Vasicek and Staal are rising through the ranks. That gives the Hurricanes 3 solid centers. Now depth on the wing, that isn't so good. Erik Cole, Jeff O'Neill, Radim Vrbata and Jaro Svoboda are really the only certified wingers on the team. If we were to deal O'Neill, we'd probably need somebody in return that could give a similar output. O'Neill has scored 2G and 1A in his first 3 games under Laviolette and has looked worlds better.

Since trading away Battaglia, letting Gelinas walk, Jeff Daniels retirement, Sami Kapanen's departure, we have been left somewhat decimated on the wings. I think we need to stop the trend of stockpiling centers and get the wings back up to snuff.

Laviolette may have somewhat of a crush on Peca, but to be sure it won't blind him of the team's more apparent needs. The deal isn't even fiscally responsible for a lateral move.

kidchrome 12-23-2003 11:10 AM

I may be wayyyy offbase here...but:

Peca and Hamrlik
for
Oneill ,St. Jacques and Ward

??????
i have no idea...just a sens fan

Mad Mike 12-23-2003 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caniacforever
While Peca may be a good fit in Carolina, we honestly don't have room for him. Brind'Amour plays a pretty decent game much like Peca does. Francis is up there in age, but Vasicek and Staal are rising through the ranks. That gives the Hurricanes 3 solid centers. Now depth on the wing, that isn't so good. Erik Cole, Jeff O'Neill, Radim Vrbata and Jaro Svoboda are really the only certified wingers on the team. If we were to deal O'Neill, we'd probably need somebody in return that could give a similar output. O'Neill has scored 2G and 1A in his first 3 games under Laviolette and has looked worlds better.

Since trading away Battaglia, letting Gelinas walk, Jeff Daniels retirement, Sami Kapanen's departure, we have been left somewhat decimated on the wings. I think we need to stop the trend of stockpiling centers and get the wings back up to snuff.

Laviolette may have somewhat of a crush on Peca, but to be sure it won't blind him of the team's more apparent needs. The deal isn't even fiscally responsible for a lateral move.

Peca has a problem with Laviolette anyway i do not know why they posted that rumor on spectorshockey.net

Mike8 12-23-2003 11:12 AM

It's rare to see a team hire a new coach then make a significant trade shortly thereafter. Generally a team will want to stabilize under a new regime, then see where they stand. I would not expect the Canes to make a major move until next season.

That said, if O'Neill has been a distraction in the lockerroom as has been reported (conflicts with Maurice, etc), then Carolina might look to deal him. But I'd doubt they'd deal him when he's not producing, and as such has less value.

It doesn't make sense to me that Carolina would make a big move like this right now. Especially not to acquire yet another center.

Mike8 12-23-2003 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caniacforever

While the Canes are certainly weak on the wings, I've liked the strategy Carolina's used in stockpiling centers and getting them on the big club quickly. Francis is soon to retire, and Brindy's slowing down, so it's a good way to 'pass the torch' so to speak. Both Francis and Brindy are high quality people, and there are few better to teach a younger generation of centers how to carry the club to another level.

Staal and Vasicek make a great future one-two punch, and a team's successes always rely on their top centers IMO.

Plan 9 12-23-2003 11:17 AM

If we acquired Peca I would need to find a new favorite team.

Especially in a trade for O'Neill.

Vagrant 12-23-2003 11:18 AM

Quote:

That said, if O'Neill has been a distraction in the lockerroom as has been reported (conflicts with Maurice, etc), then Carolina might look to deal him. But I'd doubt they'd deal him when he's not producing, and as such has less value.

Well, the rumors about O'Neill being a problem child aren't that well founded. At the very most, he's a loveable loose cannon. He may provide the media with a snippet of propaganda against the coach or the system every once in a while, but he's generally a fun loving guy with a pretty big mouth at times.

During an interview about the departure of Maurice, Jeff was taking a lot of the blame and looked to almost be in tears while doing so. The guy has a lot of heart, he just has a tendancy to shoot off at the mouth every once in a while. Ever since that one incident with Maurice, the media has had a field day with how incredibly uphappy he is, it's just not true.

Les Ouragans 12-23-2003 11:22 AM

You're probably right, this move unlikely - unless...they are looking at making a preemptive strike to land a Ron Francis replacement (there will be a slot and a big salary drop if he retire as planned). All the conventional wisdom I've been hearing is that you don't make a move and take on salary with the impending CBA - but I wonder if some GM's aren't going to try to buck the trend thinking they might land a deal?

Reign Nateo 12-23-2003 11:27 AM

Carolina does not need help down the middle. Francis, Brind'Amour, Staal, Vasicek, Adams, and Murray all play C in Carolina. Unless they swing Peca to another team for a young scoring winger, this trade only makes sense from the Isles perspective.

Disgraced Cosmonaut 12-23-2003 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Mike
Peca has a problem with Laviolette anyway i do not know why they posted that rumor on spectorshockey.net

i agree it's a silly rumor, though not that far fetched in terms of value. i think from an objective standpoint i'd give the edge to the isles in terms of getting a need. but i don't do it for stability purposes unless peca's contract is that much of an issue- and i don't believe it to be.

but peca does not dislike lavi by any means. he defended him in newsday just the other day when he was asked about the team's inconsistent play. he said the team's crappy play couldn't be blamed on the coach and that, essentially, he guessed it proved that lavi wasn't to blame in the first place last year for its crappy play then. he was saying
that the team needs to do what it takes and stop looking to the coach.

also, peca came out and said he was good friends with lavi before and after lavi's departure. if there's anyone that pec's not thrilled with, it's mad mike- your namesake- because mm said that peca needed to stop whining and start acting more like a captain (last year or in the off season).

herecomesdabus 12-23-2003 12:22 PM

As far as I know Peca and Lavy are tight and so are the wives :lol:

Trottier 12-23-2003 12:24 PM

Quote:

I don't see this working for Carolina....

It truthfully doesn't work for NYI either.

Tiki 12-23-2003 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koltsov71
If we acquired Peca I would need to find a new favorite team.

Especially in a trade for O'Neill.

Well , then I guess we just aquire your rights as favorite team in the deal for say a ninth round pick?

HughJass* 12-23-2003 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Mike

I thought so too. As a matter of fact, I thought Peca was one of the players that confided in Mad Mike to run Lavs out of town. This is one of those rumors being spouted from a fan board, nothing more. Maybe someone is trying to feel out O'Neill's value, somewhere. Talk of him has risen lately...so there is interest among the fans at least. I seriously doubt Rutherford is planning to move him at the moment. There really isn't a reason too unless he gets someone like Radek Bonk in return. I'm sure Garrioch will spew that rumor next if we try hard enough. LOL