HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Anybody Hear/See This? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=38409)

SingnBluesOnBroadway 12-24-2003 04:43 AM

Anybody Hear/See This?
 
http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/4736.htm

"As part of a promotion last night, anyone dressed as Santa Claus was admitted to the Coliseum for free. They got to parade on the ice during the first intermission of the 4-2 Islander win over the Flyers, and when a handful of those Santas pulled off their red suits to reveal blue Rangers jerseys, a brawl nearly touched off there on the ice."

Davisian 12-24-2003 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/4736.htm

"As part of a promotion last night, anyone dressed as Santa Claus was admitted to the Coliseum for free. They got to parade on the ice during the first intermission of the 4-2 Islander win over the Flyers, and when a handful of those Santas pulled off their red suits to reveal blue Rangers jerseys, a brawl nearly touched off there on the ice."


Read about it in several articles, but didn't see it..

Friggin HILARIOUS! Only in NY..

Sounded to me like it was more of a "fake" brawl, with the Fishstix Santas going after the Ranger Santa's jerseys, but maybe it was real for some..

This rivalry just creates one hilarious story after another..

Santa Gate '03..

John Flyers Fan 12-24-2003 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/4736.htm

"As part of a promotion last night, anyone dressed as Santa Claus was admitted to the Coliseum for free. They got to parade on the ice during the first intermission of the 4-2 Islander win over the Flyers, and when a handful of those Santas pulled off their red suits to reveal blue Rangers jerseys, a brawl nearly touched off there on the ice."

It must not have been too much of a big deal because during the telecast they spoke about the Santas and getting them on the nice, but no mention of a brawl breaking out.

Theoren Fan 12-24-2003 05:19 AM

Santa's turn bad at Islander game

303Joe 12-24-2003 05:30 AM

Don't read anything into this..
 
I was at the game. There were about 300 Santas and they were only playing w/ the 2 rangers guys. Yeah they were pushed to the ice but they were only kidding around. Everyone was laughing about it. Bigger newes is waiting to hear the status of Yashin. He was cut on his forearm by a skate after setting up Asham to tie the game. No word yet how much time he is going to miss. Happy holidays everyone have a safe holiday season.

Langevin26 12-24-2003 05:31 AM

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=18170&rfi=6

QUOTE
Dave Scatchard had gotten everyone in a spirited mood when he scored off his skate 3:54 into the second period. But equally fortunate goals into empty nets by Handzus and Mark Recchi negated that lucky Islanders goal and let the air out of the 13,888-strong crowd, of which "hundreds" were donned in red jumpers and fake white hair.

A lot of that fake fur was pulled out of place, though.

During the first intermission, the promoters thought it was a good idea to have all those free Santas to parade onto the ice. So down they came in semi-orderly fashion, until two of the Santas stripped off their suit tops to reveal that most hated of icons in this Islanders’ den if iniquities -- Rangers jerseys.

Boos soon replaced the caroling in the Coliseum air, and a few Santas took it upon themselves to right these two unsainted imposters’ wrongs. So the guys wearing those Rangers jerseys were jumped, bringing yellow-jacketed security bees buzzing onto the ice while the ArenaVision showed a little kid dressed as Santa joining mom, dad and friends in trying to punch the Rangers Clauses’ beards off.

"Merry Christmas," said Jeremy Roenick.


:lol: :lol: :handclap:

RANGERDIEHARD 12-25-2003 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Langevin26
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=18170&rfi=6

QUOTE
Dave Scatchard had gotten everyone in a spirited mood when he scored off his skate 3:54 into the second period. But equally fortunate goals into empty nets by Handzus and Mark Recchi negated that lucky Islanders goal and let the air out of the 13,888-strong crowd, of which "hundreds" were donned in red jumpers and fake white hair.

A lot of that fake fur was pulled out of place, though.

During the first intermission, the promoters thought it was a good idea to have all those free Santas to parade onto the ice. So down they came in semi-orderly fashion, until two of the Santas stripped off their suit tops to reveal that most hated of icons in this Islanders’ den if iniquities -- Rangers jerseys.

Boos soon replaced the caroling in the Coliseum air, and a few Santas took it upon themselves to right these two unsainted imposters’ wrongs. So the guys wearing those Rangers jerseys were jumped, bringing yellow-jacketed security bees buzzing onto the ice while the ArenaVision showed a little kid dressed as Santa joining mom, dad and friends in trying to punch the Rangers Clauses’ beards off.

"Merry Christmas," said Jeremy Roenick.


:lol: :lol: :handclap:

Just another low class publicity stunt by Islander management to try and get more people into the building. Remember when they ran that print advertising campaign aimed at Ranger fans or when they sent Sparky the dragon to MSG right before a Ranger - Islander game; he was trying to send a "gift basket" to the executives at the Garden. They should concentrate more on getting a new building!

19 12-29-2003 01:21 AM

A quote from a Pittsburgh paper -

"Even Santa hates the Ranger$".

-19

Theoren Fan 12-31-2003 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19
A quote from a Pittsburgh paper -

"Even Santa hates the Ranger$".

-19

Actually

http://www.nyrangers.com/pressbox/pr...es.asp?id=1077

Brooklyn Ranger 12-31-2003 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Fan

Wow, great story and a great trivia question. That's for posting the link! :bow:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.