HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Muir (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=39185)

Capn Brown 12-28-2003 11:57 AM

Muir
 
What's interesting about this guy is that he's way better than Holland, Kuznetzov, and (but this point is ancient history) Strbak. And the 'org' knew it, too. Not only hat, but Muir has more experience than either Gleason or Corvo. So why did he not make the team in October?

My guess is insurance. It's like when you're playing Chess and you REALLY don't want to use the queen even though it's your most powerful piece. You want it next to your king to protect it and you don't want to be nonchalantly moving the queen across the board until both your rooks, your bishops, and one of you knights is gone. It's your most powerful piece, so you save it for as late in the game as possible. You only get one, 'ya know.

I'm thinking the org. wanted Muir in Manchester as plan D, when plans A, B, & C fail miserably. Plan A was Strbak, and what a joke of a plan it was! Plan B was a season-long, healthy Kings defensive core (or is it corpse? I'll never know these things!). Yet, plan B was cursed all the way back to last season. C is for 'crap' and 'crap' defines Maxim Kuznetzov. All of a sudden, it's time to implement plan D.

The only bad thing about this plan is that Muir can't realisticaly be sent down. He WILL be claimed off of waivers. So when Vis gets back, either Gleason or Holland will be sent down, probably Gleason as waivers won't bother him. And when Miller gets back, guess what? This club will have one defenseman too many. Holland and Kuz can't BOTH be healthy scratches, can they? Kuz has to me moved......

punchy1 12-28-2003 12:35 PM

From what I have read he had a dandy of a first effort and were pretty well thought of in Avsland. I hope he can keep it up. If he can when we get Lubo and Millsy back we look good and deep on defence.

Matty Lubo
Millsy Corvo
Muir Gleason
Modry Kuz
Holland.

Maybe, if he can step in and show us his worth we actually can move Modry for another skill player. Since it looks like Deadmarshes is not coming back it would put us over the top to land one more gritty scoring threat. I read that former King Donald Audette is available.





;)!

TubbyTerrion* 12-28-2003 12:39 PM

Muir was lousy for most of the game last night. Just a 30 year old journeyman passing through....


and one of the main reasons he was signed as a FA was that he did play his college hockey in New Hampshire, so that if he didn't make the big club, he'd be a returning prodigal son for the Manchester team.

punchy1 12-28-2003 12:47 PM

I didn't hear or see the game but have read that he had a good game from most people. Tubby is the first person to say that he didn't. As for the journeyman statement well that is sort of obvious but that also doesn't mean that he will always be one. Holland is proving that he is a reliable #7 defenceman and can play solid minutes as a #6 as well I think. If Muir can do the same for us then he is a help. I agree though that it would be nice to have another clear cut top 5 defenceman instead of so many #6 and 7s but where from is the question.

I mean, I would be all for moving Modry and one of our lesser "energy" guys or a mid round pick at this point for a talent guy or even a top 4 defenceman but since that is all we really have to move that would be a smart one at this point, I doubt there would be many takers.

Capn Brown 12-28-2003 01:11 PM

1. Muir DID NOT have a lousy game last night. Tubby/TAFFY has been corrupted by the message board of "lesser intelligences".

2. If we were to trade a d-man, I'd trade Kuz before Modry. Gauthier is supposedly available and last I heard, Buffalo's Jay McKee was a healthy scratch for 6 games in a row. I'd send Kuz and another and a pick for either one of those two guys.

3. I'd send Gleason back down. I don't think he's playing poorly, but I do think he needs more time to develop. It has to do with youth and egos.

4. Holland ain't the greatest, but he works as the team's 7th d-man.


So when healthy:

Miller - Gauthier or McKee
Norstrom - Corvo
Vis - Modry

Oh crap! That still leaves us with Muir! Oh well......

punchy1 12-28-2003 01:38 PM

I wonder what we will do if we were to get another d next season when Grebs and Gleason are going to be ready.

Matty/Miller
Lubo/Gleason
Grebeshkov/Modry
Holland/Kuznetsov
Muir/Corvo
And any new players we might get. Not to mention that we have Petiot and Rome to name two who are solid young talents who might be getting close to ready.

For my money, having
Corvo/Matty
Miller/Lubo
Gleason/Modry (although, he is the player I would move since Corvo and Lubo can handle to offence from he blue line, not because he is any worse than allot of other d out there) as the six regulars I would have around and think that they are our best defenceman right now.

If we added a Gauthier or a Hamrlik to the mix then we would have to send someone packing the other way or chance losing them to numbers via the waiver I think.

If Grebeshkov comes in and can make it then we would have
Gleason/Grebeshkov
Matty/Miller
Lubo/Corvo
Modry/Kuz
as regular NHLers who are with the team. Its nice having so many NHL caliber defenceman but it is becoming a case of quality over quantity. Stitch has done a solid job putting this together and I have to think he will do what needs to be done when the time comes.

How nice would it be to have
Matty/Lubo
Miller/Gleason
Hamrlik/Corvo
Modry/Kuz as our Kings defenceman with Modry as the number 7 and Kuz sitting healthy or down on the farm. I still think that we could move Modry and maybe even Kuz to land Hamrlik and part of Parrish or so with the Isles. Not saying that would be the whole deal, just saying it could be a part of one.

Capn Brown 12-28-2003 02:15 PM

Hey, punchy!

Yes, it would be nice to have Kuz "on the farm", but it won't realistically happen. Yes, he was sent down earlier in the season for a "conditioning assignment", and I believe waivers weren't involved due to the technicality of the whole "conditioning assignment" thing.

However, if he's sent down just because we have too many guys up here, he WILL be stolen off of waivers. The same is true of Muir, and *maybe* Holland, though if I were a GM I wouldn't pick him up.

Gleason is exempt due to age and rookie status.

I think the best thing for Kuznetsov and the Kings right now is if he were traded, preferably as part of a package to get either Gauthier or Cole. Sadly, I don't see Kusnetsov being valuable enough, even if packaged with another player, to bring in Hamrlik.

I think one of the points I wanted to make about Muir (but never did) was the fact that if the Kings recalled him, knowing it would be next to impossible to send him down, then we can expect Miller and Vis to be out longer than we at first thought they'd be.

Fat Elvis 12-28-2003 04:06 PM

The one thing that I have seen this year is that Miller has not played well, even when healthy. The last couple of years he has been outstanding but this year it is hard to say he is even our 4th best dman. He may also be a guy how is not capable of playing 75 games a year without getting hurt.
I have never been a huge Modry fan but until we have more consistant options, we can't move him. Kuz is big and horrible, he makes good passes at times but plays smaller than Lubo and gets beat nightly. Holland has not been bad for a sixth like some have said before, but can we really make the playoffs with him as our 5th and 6th best dman? People harp on our goaltending, yet lok who's playing D.

BINGO 12-28-2003 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
Muir was lousy for most of the game last night. Just a 30 year old journeyman passing through....


and one of the main reasons he was signed as a FA was that he did play his college hockey in New Hampshire, so that if he didn't make the big club, he'd be a returning prodigal son for the Manchester team.

That's funny. The prodigal son is Jeff Guiliano, he is from Nashua New Hampshire.

I would agree with The Daleks, he was an insurance signing. Muir was the most consistant dman in Manchester.

zeppelin97 12-28-2003 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Daleks
The only bad thing about this plan is that Muir can't realisticaly be sent down. He WILL be claimed off of waivers. So when Vis gets back, either Gleason or Holland will be sent down, probably Gleason as waivers won't bother him. And when Miller gets back, guess what? This club will have one defenseman too many. Holland and Kuz can't BOTH be healthy scratches, can they? Kuz has to me moved......

I'm praying that Holland is sent down and essentially kissed goodbye. He is almost always beaten down low. It sometimes seems like he doesn't know what to do. Very poor defensive instincts. He does however play adequately in all other areas, but his weakness can not be over looked.

Like i said, i hope i never see Holland in a Kings jersey again.

TubbyTerrion* 12-28-2003 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BINGO
That's funny. The prodigal son is Jeff Guiliano, he is from Nashua New Hampshire.

I would agree with The Daleks, he was an insurance signing. Muir was the most consistant dman in Manchester.


I didn't say THE prodigal son, I said A prodigal son, as he did play 4 years there at UNH back 100 years ago.

And, I am not tainted by boards of lesser intelligence, I am tainted by watching the game, and seeing Muir make more than a handful of moves that had my stomach in knots. It's only 1 game, and the guy has played long enough that he's not going to make too many "rookie" mistakes, but he had a few passes last night that were BRUTAL, and nothing less.

King Blazer 12-29-2003 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Daleks
What's interesting about this guy is that he's way better than Holland, Kuznetzov, and (but this point is ancient history) Strbak. And the 'org' knew it, too. Not only hat, but Muir has more experience than either Gleason or Corvo. So why did he not make the team in October?

My guess is insurance. It's like when you're playing Chess and you REALLY don't want to use the queen even though it's your most powerful piece. You want it next to your king to protect it and you don't want to be nonchalantly moving the queen across the board until both your rooks, your bishops, and one of you knights is gone. It's your most powerful piece, so you save it for as late in the game as possible. You only get one, 'ya know.

I'm thinking the org. wanted Muir in Manchester as plan D, when plans A, B, & C fail miserably. Plan A was Strbak, and what a joke of a plan it was! Plan B was a season-long, healthy Kings defensive core (or is it corpse? I'll never know these things!). Yet, plan B was cursed all the way back to last season. C is for 'crap' and 'crap' defines Maxim Kuznetzov. All of a sudden, it's time to implement plan D.

The only bad thing about this plan is that Muir can't realisticaly be sent down. He WILL be claimed off of waivers. So when Vis gets back, either Gleason or Holland will be sent down, probably Gleason as waivers won't bother him. And when Miller gets back, guess what? This club will have one defenseman too many. Holland and Kuz can't BOTH be healthy scratches, can they? Kuz has to me moved......

With respect to Muir and Waivers,

From the CBA:

"13.3. Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to
the services of a player may be loaned to a Club of another
league upon fulfillment of any of the following conditions,
except when elsewhere expressly prohibited:

(a) that waivers for that purpose have been requested and
cleared under this Article, the player has not played in ten
or more Regular Season or Playoff games cumulative since
waivers on him were last cleared, and more than thirty days
cumulative on a NHL Roster have not passed since waivers on him
were last cleared;"

I'm not so sure about Muir having to clear waivers again. I believe that he had to clear waivers when he was assigned to Manchester on October 4th, and given the 10-game cumulitive or 30-day consecutive provision in section 13.3 (a) of the CBA, I believe he has 9-games or 26-days in the NHL before he would have to clear waivers again.

Holland and Kuz would have to clear and I don't believe either would.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.