HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ribeiro (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=39287)

Owen Wilson 12-28-2003 07:07 PM

Ribeiro

Hey everyone,

I went to Val D'Or to visit my family during the holidays and I had the privilege of going to a Foreurs game against Drummondville(my uncle is the chef at the visiting teams hotel) and saw a great game. I was unaware that players like Luongo, Begin, Dumont and Grand-Pierre played there before. Begin was the captain and the fans loved him and still love him.

Anyways, my uncle was telling how Ribeiro and Dagenais played for Rouyn-Noranda and that they were magic together(I heard this before) but that Ribeiro's attitude off the ice was terrible. Apparently he's a self-proclaimed superstar off the ice and doesn't show up during the playoffs. Is he still like this? Is this a guy we want on our team? Has anyone else ever heard this??

Habber 12-28-2003 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen Wilson
Hey everyone,

I went to Val D'Or to visit my family during the holidays and I had the privilege of going to a Foreurs game against Drummondville(my uncle is the chef at the visiting teams hotel) and saw a great game. I was unaware that players like Luongo, Begin, Dumont and Grand-Pierre played there before. Begin was the captain and the fans loved him and still love him.

Anyways, my uncle was telling how Ribeiro and Dagenais played for Rouyn-Noranda and that they were magic together(I heard this before) but that Ribeiro's attitude off the ice was terrible. Apparently he's a self-proclaimed superstar off the ice and doesn't show up during the playoffs. Is he still like this? Is this a guy we want on our team? Has anyone else ever heard this??

I haven't seen any signs of Ribs having a bad attitude and this is the first I've heard of it.

I've heard tons of rumors through the years of guys having bad attitudes in junior, but I think most of it can be chalked up to them just being young or people mistaking cockiness for confidence. Most of them seem to outgrow it by the time they get to the NHL.

Mike8 12-28-2003 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen Wilson
Is he still like this? Is this a guy we want on our team? Has anyone else ever heard this??

Yes, Ribeiro's taken some flak for his off-ice attitude and lack of work ethic off-ice since he was drafted. I remember him being more interested in some groupies in the stands than practice and games in training camps in the past.

But this year he's shown more dedication to the fundamental parts of the game. He has (finally) improved his speed and his strength, albeit not as much as one would hope. It's been reported since his draft year that Ribeiro would get speed skating assistance, as well as hitting the gym hard. He never has. This year looks a bit different and more promising for his future.

These are some reasons to be cautiously optomistic about Ribeiro's progress though.

goalchenyuk 12-28-2003 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
Yes, Ribeiro's taken some flak for his off-ice attitude and lack of work ethic off-ice since he was drafted. I remember him being more interested in some groupies in the stands than practice and games in training camps in the past.

But this year he's shown more dedication to the fundamental parts of the game. He has (finally) improved his speed and his strength, albeit not as much as one would hope. It's been reported since his draft year that Ribeiro would get speed skating assistance, as well as hitting the gym hard. He never has. This year looks a bit different and more promising for his future.

These are some reasons to be cautiously optomistic about Ribeiro's progress though.

i think that his' '' cool '' attitude deserve him a lot .People are often talk about his bad work ethic ,but i think that it 's not so bad .Last year , in the pre-season , i remember how everybody were surprised about his skating that he 've improved a lot in the summer . This year he 's very more careful about his defensive part of the game , and he's +3 , i think , by now

but slow skaters are always giving the impression that they are lazy and that they don't have the desire or the fire

Mike8 12-28-2003 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark0v
i think that his' '' cool '' attitude deserve him a lot .People are often talk about his bad work ethic ,but i think that it 's not so bad .Last year , in the pre-season , i remember how everybody were surprised about his skating that he 've improved a lot in the summer . This year he 's very more careful about his defensive part of the game , and he's +3 , i think , by now

but slow skaters are always giving the impression that they are lazy and that they don't have the desire or the fire

Ribeiro's speed looked adequate in preseason since his second training camp. His speed was not up to par last year.

Ribeiro's laziness off-ice was of more concern than his lack of dedication to the defensive and neutral zone.

Team_Spirit 12-28-2003 09:58 PM

He was really a ''star-kid'' in the QJMHL , Sidney Crosby without the Gretzky comparaison and the spot on TSN ... He scored 125pts in 67 game at his 1st year . I remember when he was traded to the Remparts the final year in the Q he was lazy in training and he was doing money sings with his hands on the board in the face of fans . ( vous savez se frotté le pouce et l'index ensemble en voulant dire qu'on va faire du cash ) .. he really had the super-star syndrome , i remember he scored like 45pts in 20games in Quebec and was the top offensive guy in the Q .Plus there some rumors around that he was in a kinda of 'mafia' when he was younger .

Now he matured in the AHL/NHL and he's now a father , he said this many times ( during the training camp mostly ) and he really only focus on being a NHL player .

G Man 77 12-28-2003 11:06 PM

Talk about ancient history, yes Ribeiro was all that... but that's long over with.

If you all remember the same Claude Julien practically benched Ribeiro for most of the WJHC a few years ago.. word was Julien couldn't stand him and his play.
While now Julien agrees that Ribeiro has bumped veteran Perreault right out of the lineup... and apart from "staying too long on the ice" he's been great for us this year, improved tremendously on his weaker points and is not only a regular but a productive one.

He also has some fire in him, will mix it up with people unlike lifeless players like Perreault for example. People often don't give him credit for that.

And yeah, being a father helps the maturing process a great deal. Why do you think Souray is suddenly a Norris candidate when pre-injury he was so-so at best? ;)

Mike8 12-28-2003 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Man 77
Talk about ancient history, yes Ribeiro was all that... but that's long over with.

Not really. This is the first year that Ribeiro's seemingly dedicated himself on and off the ice.

Quote:

If you all remember the same Claude Julien practically benched Ribeiro for most of the WJHC a few years ago.. word was Julien couldn't stand him and his play.

I didn't hear any such word, and I distinctly remember Julien giving Ribeiro a lot of PP time as well as using him as one of his first five shooters for the shoot-out.

I remember Julien benching Ribeiro and Chouinard in the third period of a game because they both were sluggish on the ice, weren't producing, and had coughed up the puck in the defensive zone on numerous occasions (including on the PP) due to lackadaisical play.

I'm not saying it's not true that Julien didn't like Ribeiro. I don't have any idea about that. But I do know Julien relied on Ribeiro to generate offense, and used him frequently in offensive roles, but learned to keep Ribeiro off the ice in even strength minutes towards the end of the tourney because he was costing the team too much defensively.

Quote:

While now Julien agrees that Ribeiro has bumped veteran Perreault right out of the lineup... and apart from "staying too long on the ice" he's been great for us this year, improved tremendously on his weaker points and is not only a regular but a productive one.

I'd agree he's improved tremendously from the Ribeiro we knew a year ago. But he hasn't been great in every capacity. He's still severely lacking in his defensive zone coverage and abilities. He still turns the puck over all too often, and there's some games where he just doesn't show up. While these are all flaws in his games, they aren't as bad as they were a year or two ago.

Quote:

He also has some fire in him, will mix it up with people unlike lifeless players like Perreault for example. People often don't give him credit for that.

Agreed...

On the other hand, I'll never forget his little stare-down of Grosek after the former drilled Bouillon from behind. It was reminiscent of Brisebois staring down McLaren after he cheapshotted Zednik. While he'll use the lumber to defend himself and won't hesitate to cheapshot people to provoke or in retaliation (which is a good thing, IMO), he doesn't have the power to be much more than fluff at this point.

I'm hoping he'll develop some better core strength. Koivu's got it, and uses it to make some huge hits. Ribeiro's willing, he just isn't able.