HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thrashers goaltending situation (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=39526)

DRL 12-29-2003 05:15 PM

Thrashers goaltending situation

when is hurme back and who will be the eventual odd man out?

what is the trade value of each goalie?

what would atl. seek in return? dman, center etc.

it was reported by adrian dater in the denver post that there have been whsipers about the avs acquiring one of their goalies to backup abby.

if a trade did go down between these 2 teams who do u think would be involved from both sides?

LightningFast 12-29-2003 05:27 PM

Dafoe or Nurminen will leave, not Hurme .

Byron Dafoe would be perfect to push David Aesbicher in Colorado . If the Avalanche do believe Aesbicher could be the Man in the playoffs, Dafoe is a perfect match . He's better than current backup Phillipe Sauvé (No way they go in the playoffs with him as the backup) .

Some would say Dafoe's contract will scare the Avalanche, it's not the case. This is the last year of his contract .

If the Thrashers start slumping pretty badly in the next 2-3 months, Nurminen is a goner . With the lockout next year, he will not be needed as Kari Lehtonen should be ready .

If they trade Nurminen, they would finish the season with a duo of Jani Hurme and Byron Dafoe .

After the lockout, a finish duo of Jani Hurme and Kari Lehtonen.

Kritty 12-29-2003 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightningFast

Byron Dafoe would be perfect to push David Aesbicher in Colorado . If the Avalanche do believe Aesbicher could be the Man in the playoffs, Dafoe is a perfect match . He's better than current backup Phillipe Sauvé (No way they go in the playoffs with him as the backup) .

Some would say Dafoe's contract will scare the Avalanche, it's not the case. This is the last year of his contract .

If the Thrashers start slumping pretty badly in the next 2-3 months, Nurminen is a goner . With the lockout next year, he will not be needed as Kari Lehtonen should be ready .

If they trade Nurminen, they would finish the season with a duo of Jani Hurme and Byron Dafoe .

Tell me again why a possible playoff teams deals away their #1 goalie who has played quite well for them this year. You seem awful sure that Nurminen is gone but yet he is the most unlikely of the 3 to go. Dafoe and Hurme will go before Nurminen does. You seriously have to go back and rethink your reasoning because it is seriously flawed.

dats-13 12-29-2003 05:56 PM

i dont see the thrashers confident with Hurme and Lehtonen after the CBA, with Heatley back to start that season that team will be better than it currently is

btn 12-29-2003 06:14 PM

Dafoe is making it very hard for the Thrashers to move him with his recent play. Nurminen has been struggling the past month and Dafoe has stepped up nicely.

I think Hurme is the odd man out right now, and if not him then Dafoe. I think the Thrashers like the idea of having at least one fellow countryman around when Lehtonen is ready for the NHL.

Hockey Mojo 12-30-2003 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn
Dafoe is making it very hard for the Thrashers to move him with his recent play. Nurminen has been struggling the past month and Dafoe has stepped up nicely.

I think Hurme is the odd man out right now, and if not him then Dafoe. I think the Thrashers like the idea of having at least one fellow countryman around when Lehtonen is ready for the NHL.

Odd Man out (Hurme)? He's damaged goods, on IR.

DrHockeyMD 12-30-2003 12:17 PM

I agree with the above statement that Dafoe could push Aeb's for the job. Even while Dafoe may not be like he used to, maybe a change of scenery would be good and it wouldn't be a bad idea for Colorado to have a veteran back up. In no way am I inferring that Aeb has done a bad job [because personally, I believe he has been outstanding with the exception of a few bad goals].

Atlanta Jim 12-31-2003 07:00 AM

Atlanta Goalies

I'm not sure Atlanta's in a position to trade a goalie. We still give up lots of goals and Defoe is playing better and better while Pasi has been up and down. That being said I think between Atlanta and Tampa one of those teams is going to make a deal that will push the division title their way. Hurme may be a total wash of a deal. He was having so much trouble with his back that he checked himself into an emergency room here in Atlanta. His back may put him out for the year and he's a RFA after this season....meaning we may not ever see him in a Thrashers uniform. Now, if his back heals...and he plays....that's another story. So far I haven't heard that it is healing.

Street Hawk 12-31-2003 10:35 PM

Get Real

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightningFast

Lehtonen probably will be ready, but ready to back up, not be the #1 man. Give the kid a year or two to develop behind a solid #1 guy before handing him the reigns. Make him outplay a guy who's been the #1 goalie for a year, unlike Hurme, who's never been a #1 guy ever in the NHL. If Kari's play warrants him to get more starts than Pasi, then fine, let Kari play more.... But, Atlanta can't go into a season with a 20 year old rookie and a guy who's spent most of this season on IR as their goaltending duo.

Malefic74 01-02-2004 03:17 PM

On topic, if the Thrashers are going to deal a goaltender, odds are that it will indeed be Dafoe. His strong play right now only enhances his trade value.

Off topic I suspect that Atlanta will be very, very careful about how they bring Lehtonen in. Not everyone is M-A Fleury. If the Thrashers watched what has happened to other high draft pick goalies like Storr and Dipietro they would be wise to bring him along pretty slowly. That way can work as the Sharks, Sabres and Canadiens have proved.

SabresRule 01-02-2004 03:31 PM

i see dafoe being traded. tho both hurme and him are avialable.

vert85 01-02-2004 08:27 PM

For right now, Atlanta should keep both Dafoe and Nurminen, but if either Hurme recovers or Lehtonen becomes prepared to play in the NHL, Atlanta would be better off trading Nurminen...from what I've seen, Nurminen flickers between brilliant and atrocious, and Atlanta has more consistant goaltenders in their roster! They should try to get a defensive prospect out of him...

Ironchef Chris Wok* 01-02-2004 08:33 PM

Dafoe is simply too expensive for almost any team in the NHL. He's NOT a 3.5 mil goaltender. I'm not saying he's a horrible goaltender, but his contract makes him pretty hard to move.

(Doesn't he have PLAYER options instead of TEAM options? How could Waddell give him a contract like that?)

Peter Sidorkiewicz 01-02-2004 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
Dafoe is simply too expensive for almost any team in the NHL. He's NOT a 3.5 mil goaltender. I'm not saying he's a horrible goaltender, but his contract makes him pretty hard to move.

(Doesn't he have PLAYER options instead of TEAM options? How could Waddell give him a contract like that?)

Remember Dafoe is in his last year of his contract so any team that is looking to acquire him now would only play half that salary.

My guess Waddell gave him a player option a season ago so that Dafoe gets a little security. Remember we signed him about a quarter or so into last season at a reduced rate of about $1mil so the player option gave Byron a chance to extend his stay with Atlanta at a salary that intially reflected his value. Atlanta couldn't sign him for $3.5mil last season because they had Hnilicka and Rhodes still on their books.

If Byron keeps playing consistently (like his Bruins form three seasons ago) then paying him $3.5mil is not that bad. However I very much doubt he be back next season with Lehtonen probably ready for some NHL action.

friesen12 01-03-2004 03:57 PM

I think that Pasi is the perfect solution for right now. I could see this guy winning the Stanley Cup if he wants it enough, and if it doesn't work out in time, well simply bring Lehtonen