HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Official Steven Stamkos Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=395912)

le_sean 07-01-2007 11:38 PM

Official Steven Stamkos Thread

Well instead of UFAs lets now focus on the great talent in next year's draft. Let us aim for Stamkos of the Sarnia Sting! Kid is great. If we're going to suck, I hope we suck bad, 10th is too disappointing. I'd rather laugh at how bad we are instead of cry over how good we can be if that makes sense.

Not a thread to bash Gainey or anything, I believe he did all he could. Takes two to tango and it's not his fault players don't feel like coming here. Nice try Bob.

Still some guys left, but anyone that can make a real difference? If not let some kids come up, get a year under their belts. Get a great player to build around and use cap space for next year's UFAs while other teams cry at having tied $5-7M on players for 5-8 years.

I'm an optimist. Why get mad over this? Let's laugh and wish best of luck to our organization! All hail Stamkos!

Namso 07-01-2007 11:40 PM

stamkos in 08 is good, but tavares in 09 is better.

One Trick Pony 07-01-2007 11:42 PM

i like that... lets finish last for the next 2 season and it will be great
+ thats the only way to get good players here.. by drafting them

Whitesnake 07-01-2007 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Namso (Post 9755733)
stamkos in 08 is good, but tavares in 09 is better.

Don't worry. The UFA period will suck as much next year, and we will have a John Tavares thread as well!!! But Stamkos and Tavares would be awesome!!!

ChemiseBleuHonnete 07-01-2007 11:47 PM

I know it's really early, and I really want to win now... But I wouldn't be against playing our young players, letting them develop in the nhl, get rid of the dead wood, tank the season and draft a franchise player. At least, it would be refreshing. New blood, a new hope... It would be better than fighting for the freaking 8th spot. But I'd rather the team to win now. If not, the option of tanking sounds good to me, after all, we should have done it a few years ago. Looks some teams. They tank at the good moment and they suddenly become very good...

le_sean 07-01-2007 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eliash (Post 9755759)
i like that... lets finish last for the next 2 season and it will be great
+ thats the only way to get good players here.. by drafting them

It's true. Look at Raptors, no players wanted to go there willingly (i.e. Mourning), hard to attract UFA's, so they build from within. Some painful times, but they got Bosh, Bargnani, Villenueva (who turned into Ford), and signed some role players to surround them with and now it's a good team.

Or in a sense, look at the Blue Jays. They suck after they go out and get big name free agents, but the players who are actually producing the most are Rios and Hill, both drafted by them. Drafting is the way to go really.

le_sean 07-01-2007 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchise player (Post 9755848)
I know it's really early, and I really want to win now... But I wouldn't be against playing our young players, letting them develop in the nhl, get rid of the dead wood, tank the season and draft a franchise player. At least, it would be refreshing. New blood, a new hope... It would be better than fighting for the freaking 8th spot. But I'd rather the team to win now. If not, the option of tanking sounds good to me, after all, we should have done it a few years ago. Looks some teams. They tank at the good moment and they suddenly become very good...

Exactly. We have been drafting well recently, but we don't have a franchise player (other than Price). We need that non-goalie franchise player, either a 1st liner who you can depend on game in and game out to produce, or the #1 defenceman that gives you offence and plays 25+ mins a game. We have the talented youth to surround him with.

And as to the people who talk about Tavares in 2009. Yes, it would be good, but actually any pick in the top-10 during that draft year would be amazing. Look like it's going to be the greatest draft ever. Tavares being the phenom, while other players can be franchise guys (Hedman, Rajala, Anthony).

Papa_Bear_21 07-02-2007 12:03 AM

I'm all for playing our younng kids and getting a shot at Stamkos next year.

After the disappointment of today, I think I could stomach an aweful season.

Rise from the Ashes 07-02-2007 12:05 AM

Yes

Ledevin 07-02-2007 12:17 AM

I like Yann Sauvé. We'll have a heck of a Big Three with him, Markov and McDonagh. I don't think we'll finish last, so for now I'm crossing out Boychuk and Stamkos.

le_sean 07-02-2007 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ledevin (Post 9756479)
I like Yann Sauvé. We'll have a heck of a Big Three with him, Markov and McDonagh. I don't think we'll finish last, so for now I'm crossing out Boychuk and Stamkos.

Haha I bet you it will turn out to be like Esposito this year. We will have the chance to draft Sauvé and we will pick someone else, pissing the French media off. His stock is actually dropping, but there is still a year left.

How about the 2nd overall pick the next two years? Drew Doughty 2008, Victor Hedman 2009.

Markov - Komisarek
Hedman - Doughty
McDonagh - Fischer

Possibly the best top-6 ever haha.

ChemiseBleuHonnete 07-02-2007 12:28 AM

what kind of player Stamkos is??? a scouting report would be appreciated!

Ledevin 07-02-2007 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 9756700)
Haha I bet you it will turn out to be like Esposito this year. We will have the chance to draft Sauvé and we will pick someone else, pissing the French media off. His stock is actually dropping, but there is still a year left.

How about the 2nd overall pick the next two years? Drew Doughty 2008, Victor Hedman 2009.

Markov - Komisarek
Hedman - Doughty
McDonagh - Fischer

I'm betting on Cormier being the next Esposito

Gardak 07-02-2007 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchise player (Post 9756734)

A talented C (6'0 170 lbs) who picked up 95 pts last year in the OHL with the Sarnia Sting.

Player comparison : Joe Nieuwendyk

Qualities : (i quote HF's main site here) : Stamkos is a finisher, and protects the puck well. He Has good vision, is smart with the puck, and reads the play very well. A top-end offensive prospect.

Bermy 07-02-2007 06:40 AM

If we get the #1 next year, the guy we choose would probably end up like Wickenheiser lol

JrHockeyFan 07-02-2007 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchise player (Post 9756734)

Very young player who is not on the same level in the OHL as players like Kane, Gagner, Tavares, etc. At least not yet. Good all around skills. A complete package, but not a big guy . . . again at least not yet. Plays a smart game. Good energy. Does get knocked about a bit.

He is going to be quite good, but I don't think you want to roll over and die to draft him.

JrHockeyFan 07-02-2007 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 9756700)

Markov - Komisarek
Hedman - Doughty
McDonagh - Fischer

Wow. I really like Doughty, but how many defenseman can the minors carry for us.

Blind Gardien 07-02-2007 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 9755698)
Well instead of UFAs lets now focus on the great talent in next year's draft. Let us aim for Stamkos of the Sarnia Sting! Kid is great. If we're going to suck, I hope we suck bad, 10th is too disappointing. I'd rather laugh at how bad we are instead of cry over how good we can be if that makes sense.

Not a thread to bash Gainey or anything, I believe he did all he could. Takes two to tango and it's not his fault players don't feel like coming here. Nice try Bob.

Still some guys left, but anyone that can make a real difference? If not let some kids come up, get a year under their belts. Get a great player to build around and use cap space for next year's UFAs while other teams cry at having tied $5-7M on players for 5-8 years.

I'm an optimist. Why get mad over this? Let's laugh and wish best of luck to our organization! All hail Stamkos!

Hmmmm, ok. I think we have a chance to make the playoffs just from our internal improvements, regardless of what UFAs we sign or don't sign. We also have a chance at Stamkos if we don't get those improvements. I don't sit here hoping for that, however. :dunno:

WeThreeKings 07-02-2007 09:35 AM

Woohoo, go Tavares in '09.

Pat 07-02-2007 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeThreeKings (Post 9762003)
Woohoo, go Tavares in '09.

that's what I'm thinking...lets finish last and have the chance to draft that kid

CareyClutch 07-02-2007 09:47 AM

Do we have to trade Kovalev,Huet,Koivu to make sure we finish last?

STAALing 07-02-2007 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason allison'fans (Post 9762151)
Do we have to trade Kovalev,Huet,Koivu to make sure we finish last?

Might aswell keep Kovalev if the goal is to finish last ? I hope Huet and Koivu get traded though, they deserve a shot with winning teams in the NHL... great guys.

Pascal 07-02-2007 11:32 AM

I hope the NHL lets Tavares in for the next draft.

I would trade Huet and Koivu for sure. Koivu because he deserves it and Huet to give time for Price to develop in the NHL faster.

Habs10Habs 07-02-2007 11:33 AM

Wishful thinking guys, but we are not going to tank that badly to have a shot at Tavares or Stamkos....sorry to bust your bubble. ;)

Iwishihadacup 07-09-2008 05:12 PM

too bad Stamkos was gone 24 picks before we got our 1st pick

i did not know you were that unconfident le_sean

le_sean:shakehead