HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Paul Kariya - now a St.Louis Blue (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=395935)

PredDave 07-01-2007 11:07 PM

Paul Kariya - now a St.Louis Blue

TSN article

I hope they paid through the nose for him or its a huge slap in the face!

Jarnberg 07-01-2007 11:12 PM

:banghead:

Even though he had a terrible playoff season this year, I'd still love to see him back. We'll have a tough time getting his 80+ points back.

Kariya came in giving respectability to this franchise. Now he leaves and we're back down in the dumps.

PredDave 07-01-2007 11:18 PM

I am so angry right now and I really don't know why. Its not so much that I wanted us to keep Kariya as I feel our franchise is quickly going down the toilet...

Oh well, I'll cherish the first time we play St.Louis and Tootoo clobbers Paul! Classic...

:naughty:

SC2008 07-01-2007 11:20 PM

Damn, Nashville is going to suck next year.

Jarnberg 07-01-2007 11:25 PM

Nice insight SC2008.

Plagers4Ever 07-01-2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredDave (Post 9756502)
I am so angry right now and I really don't know why. Its not so much that I wanted us to keep Kariya as I feel our franchise is quickly going down the toilet...

Oh well, I'll cherish the first time we play St.Louis and Tootoo clobbers Paul! Classic...

:naughty:

From the first Blues/Preds game:

Mr. King, meet Mr. Tootoo.

Uhm, Mr. Tootoo seems to be wobbly on his skates! Now he can't stand-up! :biglaugh:

Seriously, though, I really feel sorry for you Predator fans. Your ownership group has backstabbed you, dismantled your team and left you with a very sorry squad, similar to what the previous owner did to us in St. Louis right after the lockout. I feel your pain, and wish you the best. Good luck! :help:

braindead 07-01-2007 11:37 PM

Now we know why the ducks fans boo him.

He picked a great time to kick us in the teeth when we are down.... I'd like to think most players that were the face of a franchise would pony up for a few tickets, cut a few promo spots and help us nail down 14k and the future of the franchise. Unfortunately, PK is not that kind of guy.

braindead 07-01-2007 11:39 PM

..and we aren't left with a very sorry squad so no need to apologize. We still will be here to kick your ass.

Guy Legend 07-01-2007 11:41 PM

Hang in there Preds fans. It was well accepted that Kariya was leaving and look at the bright side, you'll get to see him 4 times a year in Nashville. Makes for a better rivalry....;)

I'm hoping you guys get through this ownership mess with your team firmly planted in Nashville.

Joe T Choker 07-01-2007 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Legend (Post 9757027)
Hang in there Preds fans. It was well accepted that Kariya was leaving and look at the bright side, you'll get to see him 4 times a year in Nashville. Makes for a better rivalry....;)

I'm hoping you guys get through this ownership mess with your team firmly planted in Nashville.

agreed and thanks

trotzian brow 07-02-2007 12:03 AM

3 yrs. $18 million. Yikes...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212498&hubname=nhl

Roger Explosion 07-02-2007 12:07 AM

Why would he sign with St. Louis? I don't see them being a cup contender for another 5 years or so.

Edit - just saw its a 3 year/18mill deal. Guess it was for the money.

braindead 07-02-2007 12:07 AM

3 for 18??????

That is overpaying to make a statement. I guess I'd be happy as a Blues fan given they have the $ and cap isn't an issue but I would be pissed beyond belief for the Preds to have spent that on him.

Jarnberg 07-02-2007 12:53 AM

So I guess we get to see what Poile meant by this beauty:

Quote:

Poile said the status of potential unrestricted free agent Paul Kariya will be a big factor in the team's future - short and long term.

"Signing Paul will take us in one direction," he told the City Paper. "Not signing Paul will take us in another direction."
Quote taken from TSN 'Vokoun Shocked' story.

Metallian* 07-02-2007 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 9758683)
So I guess we get to see what Poile meant by this beauty:

Quote taken from TSN 'Vokoun Shocked' story.

good find

RaiderDoug 07-02-2007 07:09 AM

6 Million a year?

Wow, talk about a complete overpayment.

Yes, we've lost alot of talent, but is:

Timonen worth 6.3 Million?

Hartnell worth 4.5?

Kariya worth 6 mil?

Vokoun worth 5.7?

Hartnell would be the only one that would come close, IMHO.

Enoch 07-02-2007 07:27 AM

I'm a bit shocked at the raise he received......why not just go after Ryan Smyth ??? Then again, I was shocked that Scott Nichol received a raise as well.

RollingPredFan 07-02-2007 07:32 AM

Oh well when you have a bad team, you have to overpay to get a free agent. If we get anyone of significance we'll have to overpay too.

errey21 07-02-2007 08:22 AM

Columbus fan here.

Came over to see what I could find out about Noel.

Sorry about Kariya, wish he would have left our division.

I travel to Nashville once a year when you play the BlueJackets, its a great city, great arena area, and great fans.

As a team that you beat up on regularly last year, I had to post this, why in the world does anyone think Nashville wont still be a good team next year????

I dont know your roster that well except for watching us play you eight times a year, so cut me some slack on the lines but.....

Sullivan/Arnott/Erat
Dumont/Legwand/Radulov
Hordichuck/Nichol/?
Smithson/Fiddler/Tootoo

Weber/Zidlicky
Suter/Hamhuis
?/?

Mason
?

How is that not a good team?

I just needed to get on record as a fan of another divisional team that I think the news of the Preds demise as a good team next year is being greatly exaggerated. So if you beat us eight times again next year, remember some of us knew that could still happen without Kariya/Forseberg et al..

Good luck next season and with your ownership going forward

AdsSabresRule 07-02-2007 11:22 AM

Overpay...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollingPredFan (Post 9761311)
Oh well when you have a bad team, you have to overpay to get a free agent. If we get anyone of significance we'll have to overpay too.

Yeah, as much as many of my brethren are sick over losing Drury AND Briere...Personally I don't think the one was worth 35 mil for 5, or the other for 52 mil over 8...
And - whoever said the CBA wouldn't work out!
:sarcasm:

barrytrotzsneck 07-02-2007 12:01 PM

Well, everyone knows I wasn't the biggest Kariya fan...so...if 6 million per is what it was going to take, I'm not heartbroken. I'll feel much better when I see what we're going to do with all the money it will take to get up to the floor, but I can stomach this.

Besides, if the games vs the Preds are "big games" for the Blues, we won't have to worry about Paulie, anyway ;)

Joe T Choker 07-02-2007 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids (Post 9765172)
Well, everyone knows I wasn't the biggest Kariya fan...so...if 6 million per is what it was going to take, I'm not heartbroken. I'll feel much better when I see what we're going to do with all the money it will take to get up to the floor, but I can stomach this.

Besides, if the games vs the Preds are "big games" for the Blues, we won't have to worry about Paulie, anyway ;)

I can't wait to see Shea put Kariya on the shelf for the season after the first Blues game ... Kariya cuts to the center with the puck ... *BOOM* ... what a bone crunching hit by Weber ... and now I see why the Ducks fans hate this guy

RaiderDoug 07-02-2007 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by errey21 (Post 9761821)
Columbus fan here.

Came over to see what I could find out about Noel.

Sorry about Kariya, wish he would have left our division.

I travel to Nashville once a year when you play the BlueJackets, its a great city, great arena area, and great fans.

As a team that you beat up on regularly last year, I had to post this, why in the world does anyone think Nashville wont still be a good team next year????

I dont know your roster that well except for watching us play you eight times a year, so cut me some slack on the lines but.....

Sullivan/Arnott/Erat
Dumont/Legwand/Radulov
Hordichuck/Nichol/?
Smithson/Fiddler/Tootoo

Weber/Zidlicky
Suter/Hamhuis
?/?

Mason
?

How is that not a good team?

I just needed to get on record as a fan of another divisional team that I think the news of the Preds demise as a good team next year is being greatly exaggerated. So if you beat us eight times again next year, remember some of us knew that could still happen without Kariya/Forseberg et al..

Good luck next season and with your ownership going forward

I have to agree with the Bug. We still have a very good team.

We've no problems with the first two lines. The defense only lost Timonen (the natural progression of Weber, Suter, and Hamhuis will make up for that)

Plus, we'll be adding a couple quality players sooner or later just by virtue of having money to spend.

Jarnberg 07-02-2007 01:22 PM

I think we'll still have a decent team. I've been a big fan of improving the third and fourth lines.

However, I still think that we really haven't done that yet. Especially with guys like Nichol, Smithson and Fiddler all signed. And we still have Hordichuk and Tootoo. This is where we need to improve the most.

That being said, I don't think our first two lines are flawless. Sure they are still better then some teams we have had in the past, but they have potential for issues. Erat, Legwand and Radulov all playing on a line is kind of scary in two ways. One, it has great potential. Second though, is the line is kind of scary because that line could easily struggle and go a long time without grabbing points, something Erat and Legwand have done alot and Radulov showed signs of last year (yes he was a rookie so it was expected).

The Sullivan - Arnott - Dumont line I see the same way. Their chemistry was great last year but who knows if Sullivan will be the same Steve Sullivan.

As for the defense, Weber Suter and Hamhuis will not make up for losing a guy like Kimmo. Yes Kimmo is trailing off a bit, but he's still a top notch offensive defensemen in terms of play making.

People often slam you after criticizing moves, putting you on one side of the fence or the other. For instance, 'I don't like the Ortemeyer / Nichol signings'. All of a sudden, you're called a Predators hater and are quoted as saying we'll have the worst season ever.

I think we'll have a decent team, but one who doesn't have what it takes to handle injuries or set backs.

We do have a big need to fill out our bottom two lines. However, guys like Nichol, Smithson and company aren't the ones to do that.

jstreet 07-02-2007 01:22 PM

dont worry, Im sure Ortmeyer will pick up Kariya's slack. :shakehead