HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   preds sign bonk and de vries (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=396474)

HoverCarle* 07-02-2007 05:26 PM

preds sign bonk and de vries

http://predators.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=327013

bonk for 3rd line C i assume?
where does de Vries fit? why not vishnevski?

Hamhuis-Weber
Zidlickly-Suter
Zanon-De Vries?

anguscertified 07-02-2007 05:30 PM

Bonk is a terrific checking center.

Stranger 07-02-2007 05:34 PM

Ugh.

Bonk is better than Nichol or Fiddler on the third line though.

PredDave 07-02-2007 05:35 PM

Wow! Poile was active today.

Not only did we officially sign 3 prospects, but we landed Bonk and deVries....

I didn't realize Bonk was 6'3" and weighed 215.... good size, but does he use it?

deVries has good size too!

Stranger 07-02-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hovercraft (Post 9771160)

Yes, assuming Trotz doesn't keep his man crush on Nichol or Fiddler.

Quote:

Hamhuis-Weber
Zidlickly-Suter
Zanon-De Vries?
Hopefully deVries is a 7th defensemen type. Poile already mentioned that Klein would step in and help fill Kimmo's void. So probably those two will battle it out for 7th defensemen.

Vishnevski wasn't even attempted to be brought back. Poile acquired him to use him and Trotz never played him. Poile apologized to Vishnevski for the incident.

tiredman 07-02-2007 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hovercraft (Post 9771160)
http://predators.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=327013

Hamhuis-Weber
Zidlickly-Suter
Zanon-De Vries?

Omg... I can't believe Gainey didn't re-sign Bonk. :cry:

You're gonna like him. He was my favorite forward of the habs.

PredsMan 07-02-2007 06:09 PM

I actually think these are pretty decent signings.

predfan24 07-02-2007 06:20 PM

I like these signings. Their not "sexy" signings however i think they are very important singings. I hope we can sign one more 3rd liner and I'll be happy with where we are.

sully-arnott-dumont
erat-legwand-radu
fids-bonk-ufa (hopefully)
nichol-smitty-ortmeyer/tootoo/hordi

Now that iv'e looked at our forwards why in the hell did we resign nichol

Suter-weber
Hamhuis-devries
zanon-zids
Klein

IMO this is a much better looking team than the one we had 3 days ago.

barrytrotzsneck 07-02-2007 06:52 PM

I actually love the Bonk signing, I think it's exactly what we needed, and a

Fiddler Bonk Ortmeyer

third line might be the best, most gritty\physical third line we've ever had. A true "shut down" line that we've lacked, and actually has some decent size.

DeVries was not only expensive, but a bad choice, IMO. I don't think, for 2.5 million per year, he's coming in to be the seventh d-man.

triggrman 07-02-2007 07:20 PM

DeVries will be 2nd or 3rd pairing no matter his price tag and we did need a defenseman with size. He won't be asked to handle the puck a lot here.

Peter Angelo 07-02-2007 07:51 PM

any chance of another 3rd line signing? because one more and i will be very happy with our lineup considering the cutbacks. Devries, an overpayment but meh he should help and Bonk is the type of signing i was hoping for but not expecting. faceoffs are key.

FaceOfTheFranchise 07-02-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predfan24 (Post 9772469)
I like these signings. Their not "sexy" signings however i think they are very important singings. I hope we can sign one more 3rd liner and I'll be happy with where we are.

sully-arnott-dumont
erat-legwand-radu
fids-bonk-ufa (hopefully)
nichol-smitty-ortmeyer/tootoo/hordi

Now that iv'e looked at our forwards why in the hell did we resign nichol

Suter-weber
Hamhuis-devries
zanon-zids
Klein

IMO this is a much better looking team than the one we had 3 days ago.

I like the way those lines look, interested to see who else could be targeted to play on the third line for us though.
I hope Klein isn't demoted to a 7th defenseman, he was ready for the big show last year and I think it would be wise to have him in our top 6.

Judge Sauer* 07-02-2007 08:23 PM

You guy's are gonna like Bonk on your team, he seems to play really well out of nowhere sometimes. Solid signing, could use his size to his total potential though. Excellent 3rd liner.

Enoch 07-02-2007 08:28 PM

I like DeVries....always have. He has good offensive instincts and solid defensive abilities. Why all the angst???

As for Bonk, I think he will be a very good checking center. He doesn't use his size enough, but he has always been a good faceoff guy.......and he has decent hands. He will definitely be an upgrade.

Count me as pleased with these two signings.

braindead 07-02-2007 08:39 PM

I like DeVries also. Didn't we have him once before? I thought he came with someone else (Hulse?) and we traded him for something-- part of the Ronning deal? No... Avs trade maybe? I'm too lazy to look it up but I remember always thinking we kept the wrong player.

Stranger 07-02-2007 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braindead (Post 9774348)
I like DeVries also. Didn't we have him once before? I thought he came with someone else (Hulse?) and we traded him for something-- part of the Ronning deal? No... Avs trade maybe? I'm too lazy to look it up but I remember always thinking we kept the wrong player.

deVries was traded to Nashville in the Jim Dowd deal. He played a few games before being shipped off again to Colorado for a 2nd round pick.

Hulse was acquired from the Flames for Krivokrasov.

Stranger 07-02-2007 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 9774188)
I like DeVries....always have. He has good offensive instincts and solid defensive abilities. Why all the angst???

As for Bonk, I think he will be a very good checking center. He doesn't use his size enough, but he has always been a good faceoff guy.......and he has decent hands. He will definitely be an upgrade.

Count me as pleased with these two signings.

I don't think de Vries is as good as he once was. He was one of the worst defenders on Atlanta wasn't he? And they aren't known for having a top notch D either...

I do think Bonk is an upgrade over Fiddler, Nichol and Smithson.

Stranger 07-02-2007 09:56 PM

I'd love to get Fiddler off that third line, so hopefully we can sign one more third liner and have 2 of Fiddler, Smithson and Nichol fight it out playing with Tootoo or Hordichuk.

Was Pihlstrom (sp?) brought over for this role?

Basher 07-02-2007 10:45 PM

I like the signings, they give us some players who will contribute and the glaring holes we had are much smaller now.

NyQuil 07-02-2007 11:22 PM

Bonk is neither gritty, nor physical.

He's slow and his "defensive play" consists of not joining the offense thereby assuring that he's always back for the counter-attack.

Sorry. He was my nemesis for years, and from what I saw of him in Montreal, he hasn't improved.

jiboy 07-02-2007 11:34 PM

Bonk is alright, he's a good shutdown guy.He is not using his size at all but sometime he can come out of nowhere and score 2 goals in the same game..before going scoreless for 30 games.

Stranger 07-03-2007 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NyQuil (Post 9777438)
Bonk is neither gritty, nor physical.

He's slow and his "defensive play" consists of not joining the offense thereby assuring that he's always back for the counter-attack.

Sorry. He was my nemesis for years, and from what I saw of him in Montreal, he hasn't improved.

Bonk likes to hold up the play out of the zone while the rest of the team goes up ice doesn't he?

JussiM 07-03-2007 01:06 AM

I like these signings.

braindead 07-03-2007 01:37 AM

Can/ will Bonk park himself somewhere near the net on a powerplay? If not, who is going to fill the Scott Hartnell role in this regard?

triggrman 07-03-2007 06:22 AM

Don't know, maybe we'll do the same thing we did for the 20 games Hartnell was injured.