HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Doug Gilmour Return? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=39678)

FerrisRox 12-30-2003 09:51 AM

Doug Gilmour Return?

Take this with a grain of salt...

The following I would categorize as iffy at best, however, the person that passed this information along DID tell me 2 years ago that Doug Gilmour was going to sign with the Montreal Canadiens about 2 weeks before it was announced.

Anyway, yesterday in talking with the same person, he said that Doug Gilmour had contacted the Calgary Flames in the week leading up to Christmas about the possibility of attempting a comeback with them in the New Year.

Now the grain of salt is required not just because I can't give you a legitimate source in terms of a media outlet -- he's just a guy that knows Gilmour from his first stint with the Maple Leafs.

But more because, he couldn't indicate either way if the Flames were interested, he did say Gilmour contacted 2 other teams, I don't know if it was 3 teams at the same time, or if he talked to 3 teams in total and the first two said no thanks. I don't know if the Flames were club 1, 2 or 3.

I do know that the Maple Leafs were not one of the teams.

Another reason for the grain of salt is that while Gilmour has been skating and says he's pleased with the progress his knee has made, it's still unclear how he'd hold up to contact drills, so any comeback attempt would hinge (pun intended) very much on how his knee held up.

Just thought I'd pass this along for Flames fans to discuss, dismiss, and generally make insulting remarks about me for choosing to share it.

looooob 12-30-2003 10:30 AM

well I'm not going to slam you for posting this.

I could see Gilmour approaching the team. is there a fit?

probably not, unless we ran into even MORE injuries at center.

I guess if you could get Gilmour for a Lowry sized contract, it allows you to more comfortably deal Conroy for picks (and no I"m not advocating that per se, I'd take Conroy over Gilmour at this point every day of the week)

at the end of the day though I'm doubting Sutter would be interested

Badger Bob 12-30-2003 12:45 PM

Depending on how the knee is, and how fit Gilmour is, this is not that absurd of a notion. Nobody rises to the challenge of the playoffs better than he does. He had a large influence on Montreal's playoff run two years ago. Around March, battle-tested warriors are usually in demand.

Slats432 12-30-2003 01:26 PM

You guys would be lucky to have him if he returned. Leadership and the playoffs go hand in hand. Go Killer. :yo:

Snakeeye 12-30-2003 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slats432
You guys would be lucky to have him if he returned. Leadership and the playoffs go hand in hand. Go Killer. :yo:

Yeah, but he would only be usefull so long as he doesnt skate into Lowry's ass in practice.

FerrisRox 12-30-2003 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeofWindsor
I would love to see Douggie back with any team.

I do not know if I believe this though, because he has stated he only wants to play for the Leafs.

He long ago abandoned that notion.

The Toronto Sun had a quote from him back in November when there was a big retirement party for him and Kirk Muller in Kingston, where he said, if his rehab went well, that he might consider another kick at the can with 'a handful of clubs' sometime in the New Year.

Joe Warmington, who wrote the fluff piece, mentioned the Leafs and Gilmour said that they had made their views on him clear, and Warmington also mentioned it would be awkward in that the Leafs had already thrown him a 'retirement night' and Gilmour responded that he never asked for such a thing.

So the whole "I only want to play with the Leafs' thing is long gone. That was something that came up in the summer in terms of playing another full season, but he's spent time with his family and could sign a contract in late January that would mean he only misses a month or two from home.

Slats432 12-31-2003 10:01 AM

Quote:

I would love to see Douggie back with any team.

I do not know if I believe this though, because he has stated he only wants to play for the Leafs. But the only way I can see him being re-signed is after a bundle of injuries.

He did contact the Leafs (I believe that I heard an interview on the Score) and they were going a different way. Ferguson didn't want him back.

If he is healthy, he would be good for any team.

looooob 12-31-2003 10:22 AM

well there is a rumour now that the Flames have lost C Jason Morgan on Waivers

gives the Flames exactly 2 healthy natural centers in the NHL and AHL combined.

I never thought I'd say this, but....Killer come home :D

FLAMESFAN 12-31-2003 12:03 PM

Why would he want to play in Calgary?
Doesn't he know healthy knees don't last long here?
Sorry, I just can't believe our luck :mad:

Seriously, I'd love to have him back as well. And we all know what he can contribute in the playoffs.................

SopelFan* 12-31-2003 12:27 PM

Off topic, but I would love to see Fleury back in Calgary.

May seem like a risk and a longshot, but Calgary is likely the only place where he could get his life on track... he needs to finish rehab and take a paycut.. Maybe in the offseason as a signing.

Badger Bob 12-31-2003 12:39 PM

Quote:

Becoming a Flame again is more likely for him at this point, due to the lack of centremen.

Maybe there's a connection between Morgan being exposed & claimed on waivers & Douggie? If this pans out, FerrisRox can return to take a bow for the scoop of the year on the Flames board.

Boomstick 12-31-2003 12:41 PM

I've been hoping a Fleury reuninon in Calgary for years.
That would be fantastic.
But, I wouldn't rule out Gilmour to Calgary either.

But first, we've got to deal with the abundance of injuries that have befallen the Flames.

SopelFan* 12-31-2003 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomstick
I've been hoping a Fleury reuninon in Calgary for years.
That would be fantastic.
But, I wouldn't rule out Gilmour to Calgary either.

But first, we've got to deal with the abundance of injuries that have befallen the Flames.

Something must be happening soon... You can't go on with 2 centers.

Michalek 12-31-2003 01:55 PM

Even if gilmour would sign with CGY ,it would take at least 2 weeks to get him into game shape...

Rand 12-31-2003 02:36 PM

I've read in the Toronto Star that Gilmour is considering returning, and that 3-4 teams have contacted him though it didn't mention what teams those might be.

He did state last year that he would not return unless it was with the Leafs but at the time Quinn was GM and was clearly interested in signing him... obviously the situation is quite different now.
Quinn was quoted at one point as saying that Gilmour was willing to sign for league minimum to play for Toronto.

Once Ferguson took up the reigns of GM he made it pretty clear that he had no interest in Gilmour at all regardless of his health.

Judging from his past comments it would seem he likes Calgary, and he pretty clearly desires to stay within Canada so as long as the Leafs display no interest I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary were to sign him.

Of course all of the above would depend on he's knees, I know hes been skating but I haven't heard anything regarding physical drills thus far.

kruezer 01-01-2004 11:28 AM

Well for the league minimum, it wouldn't be that bad an experiment by the looks of our center ice situation, but would the owners be happy with adding any salary at all?

Ozy_Flame 01-01-2004 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kruezer
Well for the league minimum, it wouldn't be that bad an experiment by the looks of our center ice situation, but would the owners be happy with adding any salary at all?

It all comes down to this - whose court has the ball? Calgary may look like they're the ones sniffing out Gilmour, but if Dougie asks for too much money, then there are other solutions, such as Cliff Ronning or picking up a contractually-cheap centerman, such as a Marty Murray or a Darby Hendrickson. I'm almost certain Calgary wouldn't touch Gilmour if he asks for anything over $1.5 mil. There are much better options out there than signing a 40-year old centerman with knee problems. The last thing we need is a southern version of Adam Oates.

If he can be had for Dave Lowry - cheap, then yes. But until then, I don't support this idea the slightest. It's a neutral step at best weighing in all the factors.

kruezer 01-01-2004 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
It all comes down to this - whose court has the ball? Calgary may look like they're the ones sniffing out Gilmour, but if Dougie asks for too much money, then there are other solutions, such as Cliff Ronning or picking up a contractually-cheap centerman, such as a Marty Murray or a Darby Hendrickson. I'm almost certain Calgary wouldn't touch Gilmour if he asks for anything over $1.5 mil. There are much better options out there than signing a 40-year old centerman with knee problems. The last thing we need is a southern version of Adam Oates.

If he can be had for Dave Lowry - cheap, then yes. But until then, I don't support this idea the slightest. It's a neutral step at best weighing in all the factors.

For sure, if it does go down, money would be a big factor, on a side note with Turek having missed over 30 games now, how much of his contract is picked up by insurance?

Ozy_Flame 01-01-2004 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kruezer
For sure, if it does go down, money would be a big factor, on a side note with Turek having missed over 30 games now, how much of his contract is picked up by insurance?

I think it's 90%.........But, that money is better used elsewhere, like giving RFA's raises in the summer.

kruezer 01-01-2004 10:03 PM

Quote:

I think it's 90%.........But, that money is better used elsewhere, like giving RFA's raises in the summer.

I can agree for sure, but perhaps this will quite down the Iginla rumours?

Badger Bob 01-02-2004 05:39 AM

Quote:

I'm almost certain Calgary wouldn't touch Gilmour if he asks for anything over $1.5 mil.

We're only talking about a couple months of service here. It's not as though he'd expect the ownership group to break the bank. Gilmour would return strictly for love of the game, not to try and cash in once more before collecting his pension.

His contributions go well behind elevating his game, and intensity level, at playoff time. The leadership he brings, would prove to be valuable at influencing the younger players, who haven't seen much post season action. The difference would be felt long after he hangs up his skates for good.

Ozy_Flame 01-02-2004 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger Bob
We're only talking about a couple months of service here. It's not as though he'd expect the ownership group to break the bank. Gilmour would return strictly for love of the game, not to try and cash in once more before collecting his pension.

His contributions go well behind elevating his game, and intensity level, at playoff time. The leadership he brings, would prove to be valuable at influencing the younger players, who haven't seen much post season action. The difference would be felt long after he hangs up his skates for good.

I'm not too sure I agree with that. What can Gilmour offer over someone like Craig Conroy or Dave Lowry? Motivation through nostalgic reasoning? Gilmour attempting to make a comeback with the Flames has nothing to do with gameplay and everything to do with PR. He cannot skate anymore, he can barely play a physical game given his injury-riddled body, and will probably only be able to provide minimal offense, which is an even bigger need than finding an aging center. And also, if three or four teams are bidding on his services, whose to say he'll play for the game and not the money? What if those other teams are teams like Detroit, Toronto, or the Rags who could probably offer twice as much as Calgary? It's hogwash to disregard his contract demands. If he really wants to play in Calgary because he loves the hockey played here, then I'm not a believer until Sutter himself announces it in a press conference that he'll play in a Flames jersey.

I'm not saying Gilmour is backwards step; but he is only a stop-gap measure that the Flames could spend more wisely on.

Michalek 01-02-2004 12:00 PM

Sutter said so many times thet WE WONT BUY PLAYER ,we will develop ou own talent. So I cant see Sutter trading or signing player older then 27-28 years old.

Badger Bob 01-02-2004 01:25 PM

Quote:

I'm not too sure I agree with that. What can Gilmour offer over someone like Craig Conroy or Dave Lowry? Motivation through nostalgic reasoning? Gilmour attempting to make a comeback with the Flames has nothing to do with gameplay and everything to do with PR. He cannot skate anymore, he can barely play a physical game given his injury-riddled body, and will probably only be able to provide minimal offense, which is an even bigger need than finding an aging center. And also, if three or four teams are bidding on his services, whose to say he'll play for the game and not the money? What if those other teams are teams like Detroit, Toronto, or the Rags who could probably offer twice as much as Calgary? It's hogwash to disregard his contract demands. If he really wants to play in Calgary because he loves the hockey played here, then I'm not a believer until Sutter himself announces it in a press conference that he'll play in a Flames jersey.

I'm not saying Gilmour is backwards step; but he is only a stop-gap measure that the Flames could spend more wisely on.

Gilmour:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/players.../00001915.html

Lowry:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php3?pid=3217

Conroy:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...=TRUE&pid=1078

If this rumor has any substance, it sounds as though Gilmour, or his agent, contacted the 3 clubs, not the other way around . So, whether that would lead to a bidding war is debateable. He's already demonstrated that he never returned strictly as a mercenary. Last time this happened, he wanted to play closer to Kingston. Only Montreal, Ottawa & Toronto that fit that specification - 2/3rds of which aren't exactly free spending franchises. (He left Bufffalo on very bad terms.) We can reasonably assume that playing in that mess in NYC, is not the type of situation he's considering.

Of course it would be a stop-gap move. That's what GM's do at the March trade deadline. They attempt to acquire players who will either help them qualify for the playoffs, or assist them to drive into deeper rounds. It's kind of a nice change to be discussing this possibility, from a Flames perspective, after New Year's, isn't it?

If not for Michel Therrien's meltdown, the Canadiens might well have made it to the Eastern Conference finals, two years ago, instead of Carolina. Apart from some seriously hot goaltending by Jose Theodore, Doug Gilmour was arguably the next biggest reason for their surprising run.

Anyway, let's see how this all plays out before speculating too much more here. If this comes to pass, all we have to do is look at which teams express interest. If serious contenders are involved, then they must believe that he's got something to offer more than poor skating, with minimal offensive abilities on an injury-riddled, aging body. If money is the main consideration, then let him sign for the bucks.

Stay tuned to Satellite Hot Stove on Saturday night.

Ozy_Flame 01-02-2004 02:34 PM

Badger, I'm not talking about the leadership that Gilmour would bring; I'm talking the output he'll generate playing center with the Flames. The way I see it, Sutter has squeezed all of the effort out of this team; it is that reason as to why we have been so hot lately. The only reason Gilmour would be considered is to rally the troops to keep putting in 110% effort. However, besides his leadership, he brings no offense to the table, something this team sorrowly lacks. Can you put Dougie on the PP? Probably not. My arguement about Lowry and Conroy is about who sort of leadership qualities they contribute; adding Gilmour is just adding another fatherhead figure. I think two is enough already. Their motivation should be coming out of the great season they're having, and not out of spirit from a 40-year old centerman who doesn't know when to hang up the skates.