HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Kids Playing Up Age Bracket (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=399462)

Cujo31 07-09-2007 04:23 PM

Kids Playing Up Age Bracket
 
Anyone have their son play with older kids-how did it work out? Soon forgotten the kid was younger by new teamates or was that an issue all season-did he enjoy the year?

Anyone here play up themselves, 1st hand info would be appreciated.

slade 07-09-2007 04:41 PM

i played up and was instructed not to tell the other players.


It will no doubt usually inspire ill-feelings if the youngster in question is an exceptional player.

Happy Pony 07-09-2007 10:26 PM

I played up when I was younger, and it wasn't really a big deal. Most people knew and they didn't have a problem with it, as far as I know.

Gino 14 07-10-2007 06:38 AM

You'll find that the parents are more the issue than the team.

badfish 07-14-2007 02:39 AM

I played down, and I played up. Both times I had no problem. One point I was playing against kids 3 years older than me, they never had a problem. Parents didn't either.

Jysk 07-14-2007 03:51 AM

When i was 14 i played with 16-18 yearolds and it was no problem.
One thing that can be a trouble is the physical thing, i had no problem with that since a was pretty mature for my age. At 16 i started to play with the tier 3 team (division 1) and that went fine.

RangersMoogle 07-14-2007 03:29 PM

Inline rink I played at had a 14-17 year old league, a 13 year old kid got bumped up to my team because he was tearing up the league below him. He f'ing ruled the 14-17 year old league, too. None of us gave him ****, we were cool with him. I don't think any of the other teams really took notice, they just thought he was really short, I guess.

MikeD 07-14-2007 06:57 PM

Playing up a year but still with in the bracket is generally casually accepted in the top tier levels. It seems that in Tier III and Tier II (A and AA) parents can be a bit more strange about it. Parents tend to mellow a bit once their player is AAA. The players, on the other hand, have no problems with it provided the child playing up has the skill set and conficence level to be there.

While much can be said for playing up a year, it is not a good idea to play outside ones age bracket. If a Mite, Squirt or Bantam play inside that bracket. Many associations will not allow a player to move up outside their age bracket and I agree with the policy.

A child needs his/her time to be a super-star. Confidence is solidified and it helps those playing with these exceptional kids to also improve. Obviously, each individual case needs to be looked at to make the right decision. If the child has been a top player for a couple seasons, its good to move them up. If its a first for your child to be a dominate player you might consider holding back and letting them shine in the spotlight a bit.

arcticwinter 07-14-2007 08:59 PM

my son plays up with the novice kids and they dont even notice.his skating is excellent though(in all aspects,not just straight ahead speed) and he is one of the bigger and stronger players in the division.without those two criteria i would have kept him with the kids his own age.one good thing is his friend base doubled because now he knows the kids his age from soccer and baseball and the older kids from hockey.imho if the kid has mastered the hockey canada book for his division and he's involved in the play with the older division and not a spectator,it could be considered by the movement panel of the local minor hockey executive.

i do agree with the thinking that robbing the superstars of a younger division can cause more harm then good though in some cases leaving them unbalanced with other towns and without an example for the other kids,but sometimes it allows more players to get more touches with the puck in that division also.

arcticwinter 07-14-2007 09:10 PM

just one more note on this,it also gets interesting if an underage is one of the last cuts on a rep team because the parents of the kids of age that lost there spot usually arent to pleased.

Grabo59 07-18-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcticwinter (Post 9922941)
just one more note on this,it also gets interesting if an underage is one of the last cuts on a rep team because the parents of the kids of age that lost there spot usually arent to pleased.

Ya that is my real pet peeve with kids playing up an age level. When I tried out for my school soccer team, i was one of the last cuts. I was'nt pleased to then see half of the team for my age group filled with kids who can still play on the younger team. And what's more is that they were playing on the younger team as well, so they got twice as much playing time and I got none.

Crosbyfan 07-19-2007 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 9922107)
Playing up a year but still with in the bracket is generally casually accepted in the top tier levels. It seems that in Tier III and Tier II (A and AA) parents can be a bit more strange about it. Parents tend to mellow a bit once their player is AAA. The players, on the other hand, have no problems with it provided the child playing up has the skill set and conficence level to be there.

While much can be said for playing up a year, it is not a good idea to play outside ones age bracket. If a Mite, Squirt or Bantam play inside that bracket. Many associations will not allow a player to move up outside their age bracket and I agree with the policy.

A child needs his/her time to be a super-star. Confidence is solidified and it helps those playing with these exceptional kids to also improve. Obviously, each individual case needs to be looked at to make the right decision. If the child has been a top player for a couple seasons, its good to move them up. If its a first for your child to be a dominate player you might consider holding back and letting them shine in the spotlight a bit.

How does one move up in the age bracket but not outside the age bracket?

Is that like a Peewee AAA minor playing Peewee AAA major?

Nbr-17 07-19-2007 10:08 AM

Everybody I've talked was not in favour of it. In my opinion it also depends on the age of thye kid. IMHO there is a bigger difference between a 8 year old and a 9 year old then, say between a 13 and 14 year old. My sone was born in 98 and quite a number of his former teammates from 2 years ago, played a year up last year. None of them stood out, were for the most part on the 3rd line and as a result didn't get the most ice time and didn't develop as much as they could've.
One of his better friends played a year up AAA last year and really doesn't stand out in his own age group this.
Remember, especially at a younger age, it's all about development. Not wins & losses.

MikeD 07-21-2007 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosbyfan (Post 9962995)
How does one move up in the age bracket but not outside the age bracket?

Is that like a Peewee AAA minor playing Peewee AAA major?

Yes, with the brackets being two age years, in the Top Tier many teams will prefer all one age(minor/major). For instance if my son were to play up, bantam minor aaa, he would be allowed to play Bantam Major and not up to midget.

Valhoun* 07-21-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grabo59 (Post 9960668)
Ya that is my real pet peeve with kids playing up an age level. When I tried out for my school soccer team, i was one of the last cuts. I was'nt pleased to then see half of the team for my age group filled with kids who can still play on the younger team. And what's more is that they were playing on the younger team as well, so they got twice as much playing time and I got none.

It sucks to suck.

Crosbyfan 07-21-2007 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 9985010)
Yes, with the brackets being two age years, in the Top Tier many teams will prefer all one age(minor/major). For instance if my son were to play up, bantam minor aaa, he would be allowed to play Bantam Major and not up to midget.

Would he be allowed to play Bantam minor AAA if he was a year younger? (Peewee major age playing Bantam Minor AAA and assuming he could make the team)

MikeD 07-22-2007 07:02 AM

in Some USA organizations he would be allowed just by invitation or try out. In the Hawks Org he would have to appeal to the boards for approval. As far as I am aware, it has never been granted where it would take the player outside his/her designation(squirt age playing Pee Wee as an example). I am told its not "forbidden" but would only be allowed for an exceptional player. He was allowed to fill the goal for one game. The Squirt and Bantam Teams were at ESL in Rochester for a game. My sons team had almost finished their gameand the bantams were about 20 minutes from the puck drop. The Bantam goalie did not have his skates in his gear bag and back up was home sick. They pulled Gator from the squirt game and put in the second goalie. Gator was moved up to play the one game for the Bantam Minor AAA.

On the other side of the coin you have the USA ladies who can play as much as TWO years down, with a request to their association and having received ANNUAL permission.

krax 07-25-2007 08:01 AM

A quote from Dan Bylsma, former NHL pro:

"If you are the best in your league, you are in the wrong league."

A 8 year old plays now with the 12 year olds. He dominated his leaguewithout having to to give his best.
It should be about ability and not age.
The goal is to have fun. Winning without giving 100% is not fun.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* 07-25-2007 09:50 AM

What's a ligue?


Anyways my dad always let us play where we were capable... When I was 8 I played on a middle school team... When I was in 8th grade I played on a highschool team.

My little brother is different... He was on a highschool Spring pick up team when he was 10... He played Middle School when he was 7, he played his first varsity game 8th grade year.

My older brother wasn't as good as us... He played Middle school when he was 10, and he played Varsity highschool when he was in 9th grade... nothing too big.

Grabo59 07-25-2007 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valhoun (Post 9985066)
It sucks to suck.

Tell me about it...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.