HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Change of pace: Preds 10th Year Best & Worst (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=400475)

Jarnberg 07-12-2007 09:01 AM

Change of pace: Preds 10th Year Best & Worst

We've all had a rough few months here. We've had to deal with a top regular season team fall apart at the end of the season and playoffs, our owner throw the city under the bus and perhaps sell to an outsider, lost a bunch of key players, etc. The only bright spot has been the fact that the city (for the most part) has responded well.

Lets forget about all that for now. This upcoming season will be our 10th (well 9th with the lockout). I want to see everyone's favorite memories, etc.

Categories (these are all time in the Predators short lifespan):

Best Overall Season

Best Captain

Best Trade

Worst Trade

Best Draft Pick

Worst Draft Pick

Best Player to put on a Predators Uniform

Worst Player to put on a Predators Uniform

Best Uniform

Best Single Game Performance by a Player

Best Game Played in Nashville

Worst Game Played in Nashville

Best Goal Scored by a Predator

Best Goaltending Performance by a Predator

Best Rivalry

Best performance by an opposing team's player in Nashville

Your Top 5 Predators Moments/Memories

All Time Predators Lineup:
Line 1:
Line 2:
Line 3:
Line 4:

D1:
D2:
D3:

G1:
G2:

Captain:

PredDave 07-12-2007 10:48 AM

Best Overall Season 2003-2004 : We squeaked into the playoffs as an 8th seed against Detroit. It was an exciting season that prefaced a year of hell... (the lockout)

Best Captain : Tom Fitzgerald - Nice guy and much more vocal than Greg Johnson & Kimmo Timonen. Fitzy might not have been the best captain ever, but he's the best we have had as a franchise.

Best Trade : Steve Sullivan for two 2nd rounders to Chicago. Barring his back issues, Sully has been a key cog to bringing respectability to Nashville. I consider him the first true "scoring machine" to play for Nashville.

Worst Trade : I remember how upset I was when I learned that Cliff Ronning had been traded. I can't say that I felt bad when Berehowsky, Boughner, Dunham, or any of the other guys were shipped out...

Best Draft Pick : Alexander Radulov, no question.

Worst Draft Pick : Brian Finley, a total bust due to injuries and inconsistency. It seems like he lost his confidence and never could get it back...

Best Player to put on a Predators Uniform : Peter Forsberg. I know he was on the decline when we acquired him, but he's still the best player to ever don a Predators jersey (in my opinion).

Worst Player to put on a Predators Uniform : It's a toss up between Patrick Cote (crowd favorite with no skill, just a goon), Eric Fichaud (lousy goalie), and Jayson More (always losing the puck & sloppy d-man).

Best Uniform : 3rd Mustard Jersey

Best Single Game Performance by a Player : Either Paul Kariya's hat trick against Detroit to end the 05-06 regular season OR Steve Sullivan's first game as a Predator (hat trick) against San Jose.

Best Game Played in Nashville : There was a regular season game against Calgary where we absolutely lit up the scoreboard. We ended up scoring 8 or 9 goals in the end, but held a 6-0 lead early. A close runner-up would have to be the first ever playoff game against Detroit. The building was electric!

Worst Game Played in Nashville : The playoff ending game against San Jose where Forsberg ended up in the box. You could tell it was the beginning of the end for Kariya, Timonen, Hartnell, and Forsberg in Nashville. Nichol gooned up the game and we just couldn't buy a power play goal. San Jose gave us every opportunity to tie up the game...

Best Goal Scored by a Predator : David Legwand's overtime penalty shot against the Rangers in New York...

Best Goaltending Performance by a Predator : Vokoun stopped 50+ shots against Detroit in our first win against the Wings on a snowy night in Smashville.

Best Rivalry : Detroit RedWings. I think until we can finally dethrone the Wings for a Central Division title, this one will be heated...

Best performance by an opposing team's player in Nashville : Peter Forsberg schooled us on New Year's Day a few years ago scoring and assisting from just about everywhere on the ice!

1. First Playoff Game
2. Sullivan's hat trick in his first game
3. Paul Kariya's first game
4. Seeing Peter Forsberg in a Predators' jersey
5. Beating Detroit in the two back-to-back games up in Detroit (rescheduled due to Jiri Fischer's ailment).

Line 1:Paul Kariya - Peter Forsberg - Alexander Radulov
Line 2:Steve Sullivan - Jason Arnott - JP Dumont
Line 3:Andreas Johansson - Yanic Perreault - Martin Erat
Line 4:Cliff Ronning - Greg Johnson - Scott Walker

D1:Kimmo Timonen - Shea Weber
D2:Dan Hamhuis - Marek Zidlicky
D3:Ryan Suter - Andy Delmore :yo:
Honorable Mention: Bill Houlder - Drake Berehowsky

G1:Tomas Vokoun
G2:Chris Mason

Captain: Tom Fitzgerald

barrytrotzsneck 07-12-2007 11:04 AM

Best Overall Season
03-04

This team wasn't as "good" as the past two years, but it had something I think we've lost...heart and a "lunch pail" type of mentality. Despite losing in the first round, I felt proud of this team.

Best Captain

Tom Fitzgerald

Not that I think he was particularly great, but I wasn't really fond of Johnson or Timonen as captain.

Best Trade

Sullivan or...despite the price paid...Forsberg. Timonen wasn't too shabby, either.

Worst Trade

Walker for Vasicek...I feel like we could have gotten more, even with Walker wanting out.

Best Draft Pick

It's easy to say Radulov, but in terms of pure VALUE at where we got him...Weber, Erat or Skrastins. Hornqvist is looking solid as well.

Worst Draft Pick

Finley, easily. Glazachev, Platonov and Andersson were high round busts as well.

Forsberg, Sullivan

oh, where to begin. John Slaney, Bubba Berenzweig, Jayson More, Steve Dubinsky, Todd Warriner...I could go on.

Best Uniform

Home Navy

Steve Sullivan's Debut, Vokoun's playoff shutout

The nine-four drubbing of Calgary was one of my favorites

Pick any New Year's Day game vs the Avs, I'd say.

Sullivan's undressing of Zubov on a breakaway

Vokoun's playoff shutout, and Mason had a few gems in the past season as well

Best Rivalry

Preds\Flames

Forsberg's new-years day 6 point game. The Bertuzzi hat trick was sickening as well. Marleau in most any playoff game.

[I]Line 1: Sullivan Legwand Walker
Line 2: Kariya Arnott Dumont
Line 3: Hartnell Ronning Orszagh
Line 4: Erat Johnson Hordichuk

HM: Forsberg(didn't play here long enough to make the list)

D1: Timonen Weber
D2: Skrastins Hamhuis
D3: Eaton Zidlicky

G1: Vokoun
G2: Mason

Captain: Sullivan

Jarnberg 07-12-2007 11:27 AM

Best Overall Season
In terms of points and overall competitiveness of the team, this past season was the best. We had some AWESOME games, including the home OT winner vs Anaheim, the OT Winner against Detroit, the 6-0 KO of Ottawa (sorry senapreds alliance), the 5-0 on San Jose, the continuing domination of St. Louis, etc. We got to watch Radulov, Weber, Dumont, Arnott all put in good seasons for us. Mason stepped up to the plate when he was needed. And we acquired some guy named Forsberg, who turned it up another level in the playoffs and was a huge player for Radulov to play with. However, the team derailing and losing in the playoffs leaves a bitter taste.

But in terms of overall feeling, our first trip to the playoffs season was also up there. The Sullivan trade helped the team make the playoffs for the first time, setting up the memorable series (at least for us :)) with the Red Wings.

I'm going with the 03-04 season.

Best Captain
I'll go with Fitzgerald. Even though he didn't lead us into the playoffs, he appeared to be a solid leader for the team where our roster changed so much over his span with the team. We had some pretty bad teams :)

Best Trade
I'll go with Steve Sullivan. Two 2nd round picks is considered a franchise ending trade on these boards, but it propelled the Predators to another level. Sullivan was a new type of player for us, helping pave the way for more future success in terms of points and additional players.

Other great trades were acquiring Forsberg (even though we didn't win the cup), acquiring Ronning, and the Dunham trade (helped turn Vokoun loose).

Worst Trade
I think we've had some bad ones, but I'm going to go with the Vokoun trade. Yes I know its early and Poile was hand cuffed a bit, but now he's having to spend money to make the salary floor. I appreciate draft picks in a deep draft next season, but you'd have to think that Poile might be able to get a little more for one of the top goaltenders in the league.

I'll also throughout the Walker - Vasicek deal. I'm not a big Walker fan and I fully appreciate Poile going out and finally getting another Center, this one just didn't work out. It had potential, but for whatever reason, Vasicek didn't work here.

Best Draft Pick
This is a tough one, as we've had some solid picks (Legwand, Skrastins, Erat, etc.). Its a tie between Radulov and Weber. They both are VERY promising. They both give us something we really haven't drafted before, especially Radulov. These guys appear to be players who are going to be very successful for a long time.

For choosing one, I'll go with Radulov.

Worst Draft Pick
While plenty of people simply haven't worked out, the Finley pick has to be up there simply because of draft position.

Forsberg

Too many to list, but I'll go with Cote.

Best Uniform
Blue uniform with skull shoulder logos.

Sullivan's debut.

Again, alot of great games played here, but I'll go with the San Jose - Nashville 3 overtime Playoff game. Our first (and hopefully not last :() epic game, even if we lost.

EDIT: Forgot about the niner scored on Calgary, that is up there too, but not my first choice.

I'll go with our 2nd trip to the playoffs, our 3-0 loss to the Sharks. We got caught up in the penalty box a ton and it ended up turning around the series. I'm sure I'm missing a ton of other bad games though.

Legwand's first home playoff goal (in terms of just overall atmosphere, meaning, etc.). The arena had never been that loud before.

But overall I'll go with Sullivan's one timer PP goal against Ottawa this past season. That was a complete passing clinic put on by the Predators and its beautiful to watch over and over.

Mason's 1-0 shut out of Colorado this past season.

Best Rivalry
Red Wings (i'm sure some pretentious red wings fan will come on here saying that they don't consider us a rival, whatever)

Gretzky and Forsberg come to mind...

I'll add this later, not enough time to finish..

I'll add this later, not enough time to finish..

belle 07-12-2007 09:28 PM

Best Overall Season - Points 06/07. Star power 06/07. Joy for the game 03/04.

Best Captain - Fitzgerald

Best Trade - Hands down, Dunham to the New York Rangers for Rem Murray, Zidlicky, another Czech (Klouchek?) that didn't stick, and moving Vokoun to #1

Worst Trade - What did we give up to get Karlati (sp?)

Best Draft Pick - Radulov (followed by Erat because he was picked up in the 5th or 6th round)

Worst Draft Pick - Finley

Best Player to put on a Predators Uniform - Peter Forsberg. Aw, it was a brief 2 to 3 months. I never imagined I would see a player of Forsberg's stature in a Preds sweater.

Worst Player to put on a Predators Uniform - So many to choose from. Narrowing it down to players with the team for more than 1 season, Denis Arkhipov. He was kinda like a firework that goes up with lots of noise and vigor then just goes thud.

Best Uniform - Mustards

Best Single Game Performance by a Player - Sullivan's first game as a Pred. Wish he could have scored that prolifically against them in the playoffs.

Best Game Played in Nashville - I'm torn. There was the first home playoff game against Detroit. The game was amazing; the team played as well as they could; the crowd and atmosphere were unmatchable.
Then the first playoff game this past season. In the end, the Preds lost that game. What it took to get the game to overtime and then the subsequent overtime periods were incredible.

Worst Game Played in Nashville - The game against Buffalo this past season. Emotionally, Game 5 of this year's playoffs.

Best Goal Scored by a Predator - I have to pick the first goal of the 06/07 season. I hadn't seen Dumont play much as a Sabre. Ecstatic to see he was going to live up to the hype.

Best Goaltending Performance by a Predator - There was this game in the 03/04 season against the Red Wings. Score was tied like 1-1 (maybe 0-0). The Red Wings were buzzing the net. Vokoun went down. A Red Wing defender shoots the puck from the blueline. You know it's going to go in because Vokoun is laying flat on his back with two or three players screening him. He sticks his glove up and catches the puck. He was quoted after the game that he didn't see the puck he just put his glove up in what he thought was the most likely place for a shot to go through. Preds end up winning the game on a break-away goal by Hamhuis.

Best Rivalry - Red Wings

Best performance by an opposing team's player in Nashville - Forsberg

Your Top 5 Predators Moments/Memories - 1. The 03/04 home playoff games (all three, but especially the first two);
2. Games 1 and 2 of the 06/07 playoff games
3. Sullivan's first game
4. Kariya's signing
5. Vokoun checking Iginla

Line 1: Sullivan - Arnott - Dumont
Line 2: Erat - Legwand - Kariya
Line 3: Hartnell - Perrault - Walker
Line 4: Fiddler - Johnson - Hall

D1: Timonen - Weber
D2: Hamhuis - Suter
D3: Skrastins - Eaton

G1: Vokoun
G2: Mason

Captain: Fitzgerald

hockeyfan125 07-12-2007 10:36 PM

I'd like to toss a vote in for favourite goal even though I'm not a Preds fan. Legwand in 2004 against the Wings, picks Hatchers pocket, flies by him and snipes it past Legace.

PeterAngelo 07-12-2007 10:51 PM

Great Idea Stranger.

Best Overall Season: In a heartbeat, most enjoyable, 03/04.

Best Captain: Fitzgerald. Its just I don't think his competition is that tough.

Best Trade: Sully for 2 2nd rounders was easily the best IMO, and it came with quick results :)

Worst Trade: Vasicek for Belanger, who was going to help (i mean faceoffs + playoffs= success, but then Belanger for Vishnevski less than 24 hours later just screwed us bigtime.

Best Draft Pick: Weber.

Worst Draft Pick:Finley.

Best Player to put on a Predators Uniform: Forsberg.

Worst Player to put on a Predators Uniform: lol so many to choose from. I can't make that choice.

Best Uniform: Mustard jersey, why don't fans of other teams like it, looks great.

Best Single Game Performance by a Player: Paul Kariya, Game 1 2005-06 playoffs. 4 assists in a 4-3 win, was just running that powerplay like lemieux from the half boards that night.

Best Game Played in Nashville: the OT playoff game last year, what a terrific effort by all involved.

Worst Game Played in Nashville: Game 5 vs SJ last season. Just painful.

Best Goal Scored by a Predator: Paul Kariya in OT at Detroit.

Best Goaltending Performance by a Predator: Mason's 1st ever playoff game, stats suggest this was ordinary game for the goaltenders, i think Mason saved our Bacon.

Best Rivalry: St Louis. Detroit would be nice but they dont rate the Preds. Blues and Preds really should be fighting each other for a spot in the playoffs this year and for years to come.

Best performance by an opposing team's player in Nashville: I wipe all memories such as these out of my mind lol.

Your Top 5 Predators Moments/Memories:
1. First playoff game win vs Detroit in 03/04.
2. Adam Hall's butt scoring vs San Jose in game 1 05/06.
3. Sullivan first game.
4. Kariya first game.
5. Kariya goal in Detroit off a Zidlicky pass to win it in OT.

Kariya-Legwand-Erat
Sullivan-Arnott-Dumont
Radulov-Perrault-Walker
Hartnell-Johnson-Ronning

Weber-Timonen
Hamhuis-Eaton
Skrastins-Zidlicky

Vokoun
Mason

shootout: 1.Sullivan 2. Kariya 3. Radulov G. Mason

Captain: Sullivan

Legionnaire11 07-13-2007 07:27 AM

Best Overall Season - 03/04 obviously. An overachieving, hard working team that really defined what a Nashville Predator is. Even though the team has gotten better, they’ve lost most of that grinding identity.

Best Captain - Greg Johnson. Great guy, hard worker, professional. Was more successful than Fitzgerald and served a lot longer than Timonen.

Best Trade - Mike Dunham to New York. It doesn’t matter what we got in return (happened to be really good), but it opened the door for Vokoun to be the full time starter and allowed to franchise to really take it’s next big step.

Worst Trade - Scott Walker to Carolina. He showed that he still has it, and we ended up with nothing in return.

Best Draft Pick - Shea Weber.

Worst Draft Pick - Brian Finley

Best Player to put on a Predators Uniform - Paul Kariya

Worst Player to put on a Predators Uniform - Brian Finley

Best Uniform - Mustard 3rds.

Best Single Game Performance by a Player - Steve Sullivan’s first game as a pred.

Best Game Played in Nashville - The first playoff game, too awesome.

Worst Game Played in Nashville - almost any of the Sharks losses.

Best Goal Scored by a Predator - David Legwand’s goal against Detroit in the playoffs.

Best Goaltending Performance by a Predator - Vokoun’s shutout against Detroit in the playoffs.

Best Rivalry - Detroit

Best performance by an opposing team's player in Nashville - Gretzky with 5 assists in one game.

First Goal by Brunette
First Win against Carolina
First Playoff game
First playoff home game/win
First playoff home goal

Line 1: Scott Hartnell - David Legwand - Scott Walker
Line 2: Paul Kariya - Cliff Ronning - Steve Sullivan
Line 3: Martin Erat - Greg Johnson - Vladimir Orszagh
Line 4: Patrick Kjellberg - Denis Arkhipov - Tom Fitzgerald

D1: Kimmo Timonen - Shea Weber
D2: Dan Hamhuis - Marek Zidlicky
D3: Drake Berehowsky - Karlis Skrastins

G1: Tomas Vokoun
G2: Chris Mason

Captain: Scott Walker

tulsytrid1 07-13-2007 09:05 AM

Best Overall Season 03-04...the Playoff series against Detroit was unbelievable.

Best Captain Will go against the consensus here and go with Greg Johnson; he wasn't as vocal as Fitzy, but he was here longer, an original Pred for 8 years and conducted himself with class during the lockout.:handclap:

Best TradeKimmo for future considerations. Sully for 2 2nd rounders. Dunham to the Rags for Zids. All three are great. I actually screamed outloud with joy at work at a hospital when I found out about the Dunny trade though, so that probably would be #1.

Worst Trade While it made sense at the time, it wasn't all what it was cracked up to be...I'll go for Witt for a 1st. Devries for FC is up there, and same with the Witt trade...Ronning for Karlahti. We have been trying to get that mean big punishing Dman for a while now.

Best Draft Pick That is why I pick Weber here. This is probaby the toughest decision on this poll. Could go with Rads or Leggy here.

Worst Draft Pick Finley hands down. Glazachev looks like he will be another one. High second rounder in a deep draft hasn't done squat.

Best Player to put on a Predators UniformForsberg. Best player in the world for a while and he was on our team.

Worst Player to put on a Predators UniformWow too many to name, but I'll give you an abreviated version. In no particular order: Slaney, Cote, Fichaud, Houlder, Lintner, Keczmer.

Best Uniform Mustard

Best Single Game Performance by a Player Sully's first game without a doubt.

Best Game Played in NashvilleFirst playoff game against Detroit.

Worst Game Played in Nashville Too many drubbings to name. Every playoff game against San Jose besides the 1st in 05-06.

Best Goal Scored by a Predator Leggys goal against Detroit in the 04 playoffs. I have never heard an event so LOUD. The electricity in the building was awesome.

Best Goaltending Performance by a PredatorVokoun in the same series.

Best RivalryWings.

Best performance by an opposing team's player in NashvilleGretz's 5 assists. He bounced one pass off the side of the net. Unreal. He made it look like he was playing against amatures.

Your Top 5 Predators Moments/Memories1st ever home game against Florida.
1st playoff game against the wings. Overtime playoff hockey in our building baby. Snow game against Detroit. Name the team/ticketthon. I called in sick for work to go down so I could be a 1st day season ticket holder.

Line 1:PK-Leggy-Sully
Line 2:Erat-Arnott-Rads
Line 3:Hartnell-Walker-Dumont
Line 4:Hordy-Fitzy-Orszagh

D1:Kimmo-Weber
D2:Hammer-Suter
D3:Zids- Skrastins

G1:Vokoun
G2:Mason

Captain:
[/QUOTE]Johnson