HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Avery shows me something I've never seen before (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=40053)

190Octane 12-31-2003 05:25 PM

Avery shows me something I've never seen before

Avery just got a major and a double minor on the same play. 9 straight minutes on the power play for the Coyotes.. not only that, Palffy takes a slashing penalty and puts the Kings two men short for two more minutes.

190Octane 12-31-2003 05:27 PM

5 2 8:10 19 S. AVERY 2:00 Roughing
6 2 8:10 19 S. AVERY 10:00 Game misconduct
7 2 8:10 19 S. AVERY 10:00 Misconduct (10 min)
8 2 8:10 19 S. AVERY 5:00 Fighting (maj)
9 2 8:10 19 S. AVERY 2:00 Instigator

That's impressive stuff right there.. no Phoenix player went off during this little exchange either.

willie 12-31-2003 05:31 PM

I don't know what the hell he was thinking. Incredibly classless play.

Really, thats the first time I have ever seen him lose it like that. He usually plays chippy but not cheap like that.

And, then Palffy with another moronic play. :rant:

The Kings are beating themselves.

LuckyLUC20 12-31-2003 05:31 PM

Way to put yourself at a disadvantage, Kings.

This sucks.

guinness 12-31-2003 05:34 PM

That Schneider deal keeps looking better all the time, I like Avery for his spark, but sometimes he puts his team in a major hole.

zeppelin97 12-31-2003 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guinness
That Schneider deal keeps looking better all the time, I like Avery for his spark, but sometimes he puts his team in a major hole.

I hate the schneider trade. I never liked it. The trade was essentially Schneider for Chechmanek, Kuznetzov, and Avery. I'm not sure why kings fans like the trade. (And yes, an overwhelming majority of kings fans would take 3 over schneids).

Although tambellini was also in it, he's not helping, and especially with many kings fans wanting to trade a prospect (maybe tambellini?) for a #4 dman, the trade at best is a wash.

guinness 12-31-2003 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeppelin97
I hate the schneider trade. I never liked it. The trade was essentially Schneider for Chechmanek, Kuznetzov, and Avery. I'm not sure why kings fans like the trade. (And yes, an overwhelming majority of kings fans would take 3 over schneids).

Although tambellini was also in it, he's not helping, and especially with many kings fans wanting to trade a prospect (maybe tambellini?) for a #4 dman, the trade at best is a wash.

I'm a Wings fan, so you'll understand why I like the trade. But Avery is just one of those players that you like because they have knack for getting under other players' skins like a Maltby or Chelios and usually give 110%, but when they don't draw a penalty on the other team, but instead on themselves, it hurts your team.

Thalia 12-31-2003 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guinness

Avery kinda reminds me of Cloutier... both a little bit :rolly:

Gibsons Finest 12-31-2003 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeppelin97

Actually, it's Stumpel, Avery, and Kuznetsov. Checkmanek cost you your own second. Either way, it wasn't much, even with Tambellini, for Schneider, who's been playing awesome this season. I thought it was an overpayment from Detroit at first, but it seems Holland won this one.

Also considering that the blueline is not exactly what I'd call stellar, and that it's been riddled with injuries, losing Schneider hurts.

Steve L* 12-31-2003 06:59 PM

Isnt Averys job to get under the skin of the opposition and get them to take penalties rather than give the other team 9 minute powerplays?

saa25 12-31-2003 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducksflytogether
Actually, it's Stumpel, Avery, and Kuznetsov. Checkmanek cost you your own second. Either way, it wasn't much, even with Tambellini, for Schneider, who's been playing awesome this season. I thought it was an overpayment from Detroit at first, but it seems Holland won this one.

Also considering that the blueline is not exactly what I'd call stellar, and that it's been riddled with injuries, losing Schneider hurts.

I hear that. We had a void in our power play for some time when the Leafs got rid of Schneider years ago.

Unthinkable 12-31-2003 07:51 PM

That was a pretty brutal sucker punch Avery threw at the Coyotes player already knocked down on the ice. Don't think there was any way he could have seen it coming from the angle I saw. Avery seems hellbent on redefining the modern day record for PIM's in one season. A lot of players around the league watching the games at home tonight are going to make a mental note of that punch regardless of what teams they play for. Paint a red X on his chest boys.

XX 12-31-2003 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vishinator05

That's impressive stuff right there.. no Phoenix player went off during this little exchange either.

rightfully so

SopelFan* 01-01-2004 12:44 AM

Sean Avery

What is wrong with this guy?

Sillinger was hurt on the ice, and he starts pounding him? That was single-handedly the most cowardly act I have ever seen in hockey.

Ironchef Chris Wok* 01-01-2004 12:48 AM

I haven't seen the clip/read any press about it..

Links people?

c-carp 01-01-2004 12:58 AM

Sounds like typical Avery, I hate these new age pests in the NHL, the best thing the NHL could do would be eliminate the Instigator so players could police themselfes and players like Avery and Tyson Nash would pull a lot less of this crap because other player could adress it.

SopelFan* 01-01-2004 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
I haven't seen the clip/read any press about it..

Links people?

I'm looking for clips... can't find any. Look for hilights on TV.

monster_bertuzzi 01-01-2004 01:09 AM

You arent possibly saying that Avery saw Sillinger was hurt on the ice and started pounding him, are you?

c-carp 01-01-2004 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
You arent possibly saying that Avery saw Sillinger was hurt on the ice and started pounding him, are you?

It was only an ESPN clip that I saw, Take that for what its worth, but thats sure what it looked like. I know sillinger was down when he popped him. They showed Sillinger on the bench after though so I presume he wasnt hurt bad. Looked like a chicken **** manuver by Avery to me.

SopelFan* 01-01-2004 01:19 AM

Quote:

He threw him down on his head. Sillinger layed down and was hurt. So Avery looks down at him and starts throwing uppercuts at his face and head. He got 2 for instigating, 2 for roughing, 5, 10 and a game. Yotes had a 9 minute PP.

c-carp 01-01-2004 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SopelFan
He threw him down on his head. Sillinger layed down and was hurt. So Avery looks down at him and starts throwing uppercuts at his face and head. He got 2 for instigating, 2 for roughing, 5, 10 and a game. Yotes had a 9 minute PP.

Typical chicken **** manuver by Avery. I hope someone pounds that little **** he deserves it. NO GUTS.

golfmade 01-01-2004 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-carp
Typical chicken **** manuver by Avery. I hope someone pounds that little **** he deserves it. NO GUTS.

No doubt. Obviously a 9 minute penalty box will only give him time to regather the brain cells he has left, but I doubt he'll rethink about what he did and not do it again.

Verbal Kint* 01-01-2004 01:30 AM

Quote:

Oh he is. Avery made kicking a person while they're down look saintly. Sillinger got hurt and collapsed. Avery stands there for a second, then goes down and starts butchering Sillinger's face.

Legionnaire 01-01-2004 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SopelFan

.....I am not condoning Avery's actions by any strech of the imagination, but you definatley started this thread with some major bias, and I think I should respond.

Now if you are going to claim that Silienger was hurt, then why did he wait several second before he jumped on him. My guess, is that he kept talking ****, so he obviously wasn't hurt that bad....And by "hurt" do you mean the kind of hurt that most hockey players go through a couple of times a game? Because I've seen players "fall" to the ice harder than Sillinger was thrown down.

In the future Sopel fan, if you want to start a thread about how bad a player's actions were, then I suggest you do so without presenting yourself as totally biased from the get go-it would make your opinion so much more valid.

Legionnaire 01-01-2004 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
Oh he is. Avery made kicking a person while they're down look saintly. Sillinger got hurt and collapsed. Avery stands there for a second, then goes down and starts butchering Sillinger's face.

I suggest you watch the replay again. Sillinger did not "collapse", Avery threw him down.