HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   9 minute power play? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=40070)

guzmania 12-31-2003 10:17 PM

9 minute power play?

Does anyone ever remember a 9 minute power play ever being called before?

Can't say that I ever remember that much time, I don't even remember 7 minutes.

I was at the record fight fest against Philly. No penalty like this. Lived through the Tiger era. He never got anything like this. I believe this is ground breaking stuff.

Although it appears that Sean is twisted in a major way, I have seen many non-calls in which he was involved, not calls against him but retribution on him. At least as many as he has been called for. He is only moderatly dirty as a player, much like the Tik or Ricci. There is a place for this kind of player in the NHL. If he was in Toronto there would not be these kind of calls against him. He will never reach his potential because of the officiating bias against him in this day and age. This is unlikely to change over the next 5 years. Maybe as long as he plays for the Kings. So what do we do with him?

Face Wash 12-31-2003 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guzmaniac
Does anyone ever remember a 9 minute power play ever being called before?

Can't say that I ever remember that much time, I don't even remember 7 minutes.

I was at the record fight fest against Philly. No penalty like this. Lived through the Tiger era. He never got anything like this. I believe this is ground breaking stuff.

Although it appears that Sean is twisted in a major way, I have seen many non-calls in which he was involved, not calls against him but retribution on him. At least as many as he has been called for. He is only moderatly dirty as a player, much like the Tik or Ricci. There is a place for this kind of player in the NHL. If he was in Toronto there would not be these kind of calls against him. He will never reach his potential because of the officiating bias against him in this day and age. This is unlikely to change over the next 5 years. Maybe as long as he plays for the Kings. So what do we do with him?

Kings were the beneficiaries of a 7 minute PP like 2 weeks ago... I've seen a 10 minute major, but a 9 is a new one..

punchy1 01-01-2004 09:53 AM

The thing that steams me is that he responded this way because he were being reamed in the pipe all night long by Silly and other dogs and if you watch the tape, Silly had just slashed Avery and broken his stick while doing it but nothing were called or going to be so Avery lost it.

What he did were wrong. The fact that the REFS let the Dogs ream him all night AND THEN let TWO of the dogs drop glove and jump Avery from behind *without a penalty given* is pure scat.

I hope that the league looks at this carefully and if they hand out ONE suspension that they hand out a couple more for the two third man inners that the dogs got away with as well. If you are going to let the dogs handle it on the ice by pounding Avery like that then you have to let THAT be the penalty.

Say anything at all you can about Avery but at least he is the one Kings player out there who seems to really be willing to put it all on the line every game where physical play is concerned. He will learn when to pick his spots as he matures. He's a dandy.

BigMac1212 01-01-2004 01:01 PM

Here's the list of penalties:

2 minutes minor for roughing
2 minutes minor for instigation
5 minutes major for fighting
10 minute misconduct
Game misconduct

The two minors act like a double minor, so there's the 4 minutes. The reason that there was 5 more minutes is that Avery was the only guy throwing the punches. If Sillinger threw a punch, there would be couinsendental penalties, and there would be no 5 minute power play. The 10 minute misconduct and game miscondonduct are not figured into the power play. What's really intriguing is that if the Coyotes scored in the first 4 minutes, the power play would be shorter. That's how Phoenix got 9 minutes of powerplay time.

punchy1 01-01-2004 05:34 PM

We aren't questioning how it happened. We are questioning why WE were the only team penalized.