HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gainey interview during Dallas Game on RDS (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=40104)

plafleur10 01-01-2004 07:01 AM

Gainey interview during Dallas Game on RDS

Gainey gave a nice and surprisingly open interview during the Dallas game on RDS.

He said he has now had time to assess the team, that it loo a little longer because the captain Saku missed all of training camp.

He is generally pleased, the next step is for the team to learn to put a few wins in arow together, to move up a couple of steps and give itself some breathing room.

Asked to name the pleasant surprises for him so far, he said first on his list were players he did not know too much about, but have been doing well. He named Ribs, Ryder and, surprise, Markov. He then added the obvious name, Souray, and then Theo's stellar play despite last Summer's events.

Where he was surprisingly candid was when asked about whether he is trying to improve the team.He said they now know where they have holes and are looking to fill them. He said he was involved in talks before X-Mas, but that things have quieted down over the Holidays.

He then went as far as giving one example of a hole he is trying to fill, noting that the team has no center shooting from the right side and that getting one would be a nice improvment...

Let the speculation begin!

Are we talking 1st 2 lines (what happens then with Saku/Ribs?) or 3rd/4th line? Are we looking at a Robert Lang type or a Stu Barnes type?

Who are the other RH centers around, who might be available? Or was he talking just about Mark Parrish, who shoots right (but I thought he was a winger)?

Thoughts, anyone?

plafleur10 01-01-2004 07:04 AM

Scatchard

Maybe Scatcahrd is anothe rpossibility, do not know if he is a center or winger

plafleur10 01-01-2004 07:14 AM

Peca

Quote:

Originally Posted by plafleur10

Sorry, I must have been sleeping in my first 2 posts, Mike Peca is the RH center he must have been talking about...

Traitor8 01-01-2004 07:15 AM

Were the rumors true??? :eek:

I still don't get the fuss about having a player shot from a certain side..

RichardZednik#20 01-01-2004 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Were the rumors true??? :eek:

I still don't get the fuss about having a player shot from a certain side..

Me to, I don't see the difference. Scartchard was already name by a poster and I would like it. Koivu-Ribs-Scatchard-Begin, great centers.

5_for_fighting 01-01-2004 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plafleur10

hummmm, I'm not soo sure the Habs will be dealing with the Isles. two east teams in the run for a playoff spot. :dunno: I'd love to have Scatchard in mtl, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

plafleur10 01-01-2004 11:00 AM

The point of the thread

The point of the thread is that Bob Gainey confirmed for the first time publicly that:

1)He is active on the market trying to improve the team
2)One of the things he is looking for is a center shooting from the right side

This is not rumor, is is from the GM himself...

plafleur10 01-01-2004 11:40 AM

Other Centers shooting right

Besides the 2 Islanders guys (Peca & Scatchard), there are not that many RH Centers around, so Gainey might have given quite a hint when he said he is pursuing one.

Here is a quick list:

Jason Arnott or Stu Barnes from Dallas (Arnott might get his career rejuvenated in the slower, tougher East; Stu Barnes looked good in the East witn the Sabres)

Chris Drury from Buffalo (a dream come true,but too hard to get?)

Milan Kraft from Penguins (prospect turned suspect)

Robert Lang (likely too expensive) and Jeff Halpern, Capitals (too small)

Green (Boston), Stumpel (LA), Smolinski (Ottawa), Hridina (Phoenix) are the other, less attractive ones, who are likely available.

So it really looks like those rumaors about Habs talking with either Isles or Dallas were well founded, as these are the two most likely scenarios...

G Man 77 01-01-2004 01:07 PM

- Lang (5M) is producing, might be available since the Caps are looking to cut payroll... he's a big right-shooting center.

- Arnott (3.85M) is another big center, shoots right

- forget Vinny guys, he shoots left

- the recently rumored Peca (4.25M) is another, and Gainey said he did have some trade talks earlier but they have died down now... so that rumor might have been true, the deal just fell through or the talks simply never went that far

- Smolinski (2.65M)

- Mike Fisher (1M)

- Ian Laperriere (900k) was rumoured as a possibility to sign here as a UFA... he's listed as a RW, but I thought he was a center too. If so, good cheap defensive center.. and ask Savage if he can hit. Not much offense though.

In our own stable... Hossa, Bulis, Higgins, Plekanec, Urquhart, Locke all shoot left.

Maxim Lapierre (6'2'' 180lbs '85), Andre Deveaux (6'5'' 220lbs '84) are the only two centers who shoot right... and with Deveaux I'm already reaching here.

HCH 01-01-2004 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Man 77
- Lang (5M) is producing, might be available since the Caps are looking to cut payroll... he's a big right-shooting center.

- Arnott (3.85M) is another big center, shoots right

- forget Vinny guys, he shoots left

- the recently rumored Peca (4.25M) is another, and Gainey said he did have some trade talks earlier but they have died down now... so that rumor might have been true, the deal just fell through or the talks simply never went that far

- Smolinski (2.65M)

- Mike Fisher (1M)

- Ian Laperriere (900k) was rumoured as a possibility to sign here as a UFA... he's listed as a RW, but I thought he was a center too. If so, good cheap defensive center.. and ask Savage if he can hit. Not much offense though.

In our own stable... Hossa, Bulis, Higgins, Plekanec, Urquhart, Locke all shoot left.

Maxim Lapierre (6'2'' 180lbs '85), Andre Deveaux (6'5'' 220lbs '84) are the only two centers who shoot right... and with Deveaux I'm already reaching here.

How about Jarrett Stoll from the Oilers. He's over 6' and 200 lbs, played for Julien in Hamilton, shoots right and the Oilers could use some help on defense.

G Man 77 01-01-2004 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
How about Jarrett Stoll from the Oilers. He's over 6' and 200 lbs, played for Julien in Hamilton, shoots right and the Oilers could use some help on defense.

But is he available?
Would Lowe ask for the moon as usual?

And would Gainey want to depend on 2 young centers on the top 3 lines (Ribeiro, Stoll)?
I personally doubt it, I think we'd be better off with a vet.

But it's another possibility, I'll give you that.

RE-HABS 01-01-2004 04:29 PM

Quote:

But is he available?
Would Lowe ask for the moon as usual?

And would Gainey want to depend on 2 young centers on the top 3 lines (Ribeiro, Stoll)?
I personally doubt it, I think we'd be better off with a vet.

But it's another possibility, I'll give you that.

I think if Montreal and Edmonton had trade talks it would be a big deal, both teams know each others prospects so well from their working together last year in Hamilton.

I could see Edmonton wanting Ribs to come their way with another player or a prospect or two in a trade for higher talent like Smith, Smythe or Brewer...all have been mentioned in the Edmonton media as possible trade bait.

If Lowe does anything right now, I think it is big. There fans are sick of just bring in kids in every trade for their better players and older vets, Lowe needs to show some commitment to the fans in improving the team, the same goes for our management to a certain degree. (IMO I'm willing to wait for the kids, I don't need a big trade to be made happy or to see commitment, i saw that when BG came on board!)

Munchausen 01-01-2004 04:33 PM

Quote:

Stoll is already twice the center Juneau was in his best days defensively. He also plays with a great deal of grit and is a natural leader. So to answer your question, I'm sure Gainey would be ready to depend on him as well. Stoll is a clear improvement in the checking center role over ANYTHING we have in our organization right now. But the problem is, I'm sure Lowe feels the same way, and is not willing to trade what could become one of the best 3rd line centers in the game a few years down the road.

RE-HABS 01-01-2004 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
Stoll is already twice the center Juneau was in his best days defensively. He also plays with a great deal of grit and is a natural leader. So to answer your question, I'm sure Gainey would be ready to depend on him as well. Stoll is a clear improvement in the checking center role over ANYTHING we have in our organization right now. But the problem is, I'm sure Lowe feels the same way, and is not willing to trade what could become one of the best 3rd line centers in the game a few years down the road.

Agree, Stoll has already been pegged as a potential Captain with the Oilers because of his play and leadership abilities already.

Habruti! 01-01-2004 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Agree, Stoll has already been pegged as a potential Captain with the Oilers because of his play and leadership abilities already.

Also red in a couple of places that Low was pretty high on Stoll for very good reasons and that they where pleased with there progress. One possibility would be with Ottawa...they are looking for a LW and although injurry prone Mike fisher would quite a nice pick up for Montreal. I could see this trade happening.

Would you do a Hossa for Fisher trade. One is young and talented but proved to be inconsistant with questionable work ethic but once united with his brother could possibliy find a way to turn things arround. The other is also young, proven, in-expensive, he is a clutch type player that would immediatly replace Juneau has our third line center, he is big, skates well. With Smolinski, Bonk, White, Spezza they have plenty of boddys to play at center. The only thing with Fisher is the fact that he is injurry prone.....

I would say Hossa and a third for Fisher would be quite a nice deal for us.

Bulis, Fisher, Sundstrum would give us quite a nice third line...

Souffle 01-01-2004 05:55 PM

There's no point to adding Stoll or Fisher with Higgins in the system. Gainey may want a right-handed centreman, but not one that is practically mirror image of one his best prospects.

Right-handedness is only one part of a larger package. If Gainey found a big, tough RH centreman who could score -- like Scatchard -- then he might make a move. In terms of shopping for players, right-handedness also means bigness.

RE-HABS 01-01-2004 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habruti!
Would you do a Hossa for Fisher trade.

Hossa in Ottawa with his Bro and all that other talent would come back to haunt us big time, so I say no. Plus I think Montreal would prefer sending any young promising player out west rather than in it's own conference let alone it's division.

Mike8 01-01-2004 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedave
There's no point to adding Stoll or Fisher with Higgins in the system. Gainey may want a right-handed centreman, but not one that is practically mirror image of one his best prospects.

Higgins is not even in the same mold as either Stoll or Fisher. Higgins is being developed on the wing, while both Fisher and Stoll are centers. Higgins is an offense-first player who will likely develop as a scoring line player, while Fisher and Stoll are developing to become third line shut down centers that can hit and provide some offense.

Even if Fisher and Stoll were in the same mold as Higgins, that would be all the more reason to pick them up. You can never have enough players with strength, speed, who can generate offense and play strong defensively.