HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Brashear (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=40124)

FearTheFlyers 01-01-2004 08:30 AM

Brashear

But I have something to say about Brash. Being a Flyers fan I am sick to death of Brash not sticking up for his teammates.AS I said of the Flyer board I think Brash is confused as to what his role is,He is NOT a scoring third line winger and if the FLyers wanted one of those there are much better candidates available. When Gagne got elbowed the other night Brash should have taken matters into his own hands instead of letting Todd Fedoruk,who has repeatedly told not to fight until his face has healed do the work. A reason why Gagne is injuerd so much is because other teams take liberties with him knowing that there is little, or no consequence to trying to knock the Flyers skilled players out of the game. Brash needs to get his thumb out of his mouth and start doing what we pay him for. I wish we could trade him for a real tough guy.

LaVal 01-01-2004 08:41 AM

thus is the reason Vancouver fans were happy to see him go. he used to be one of the better enforcers in the league, but started to think he was a scorer. not to mention he was a major chemistry disturber. with the dumping of Brashear and aquisition of Trevor Linden, the Canucks turned their record that season from one of the worst teams in the league, to tear it up and become the best team in the league in the second half.

Thalia 01-01-2004 09:12 AM

As fans we generally look for the good things in our favorite team's players, kinda overlook the the not-so-good things too but in Brashear's case... as a player (not person), I just couldn't find anything to like about him and often wished he wasn't on the 'Nucks team.

I was thrilled when he was shipped to Philly so that I didn't have to see his mug in the lineup anymore; I found him to be quite an embarrassment, especially when he used to wipe his hands after a fight or perform some other showboating act. Uggg, that used to make me so mad!

I was also glad to hear that he was doing well with the Flyers and he seemed as though he settled down and was just a better fit with Philly than with the Canucks. I really did want him to do well... just elsewhere I guess.

Now I'm starting to hear rumblings from some Philly fans that DB isn't living up to his 'enforcer' title again. As the original poster said, maybe DB's role hasn't been clearly defined or maybe his role is changing. Either way, he does seem to be caught somewhere in the middle: too good of a player to be an enforcer and too good of an enforcer not to fight. :dunno:

Leaf_Crazy 01-01-2004 10:32 AM

Sounds like Domi here in Toronto.

beeker16 01-01-2004 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thalia
I found him to be quite an embarrassment, especially when he used to wipe his hands after a fight or perform some other showboating act. Uggg, that used to make me so mad!

Which is why I empathized with Mcsorley after that stick incident.

neelynugs 01-01-2004 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy
Sounds like Domi here in Toronto.

and mccarthy in boston. guess it's not just sandy that wants to try and play the game.

Wildcat 01-01-2004 11:08 AM

I think hes got Lyle Odelein syndrom. Odie thought he was Bobby Orr in the later stages of his career with the Habs.

paxtang 01-01-2004 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neelynugs
and mccarthy in boston. guess it's not just sandy that wants to try and play the game.

The thing is both Domi and Brashear are better players and fighters than McCarthy. Brash and Domi have turned into more of pests than anything, I'm not really sure what McCarthy is now.

Steve L* 01-01-2004 02:01 PM

I dont like him at all. Its one thing to turn down a fight from a guy trying to make his mark in the NHL but its inexcusable for him not to defend his teammates.

Anyone up for a Laraque for Brashear trade?

Thalia 01-01-2004 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
I dont like him at all. Its one thing to turn down a fight from a guy trying to make his mark in the NHL but its inexcusable for him not to defend his teammates.

Anyone up for a Laraque for Brashear trade?

I think if you asked Oilers' fans, you'd find that Laraque is having a midlife identity crisis of his own.

Even so, I doubt they'd make that trade.

Legionnaire 01-01-2004 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neelynugs

Good god! Why did Mc Carthy even drop the gloves if he was just going to turtle against Domi? What a joke.

Brasher is just one step away from becoming Mc Carthy.(that is my comment for this thread)

Pinto 01-01-2004 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxtang
The thing is both Domi and Brashear are better players and fighters than McCarthy. Brash and Domi have turned into more of pests than anything, I'm not really sure what McCarthy is now.

:p they fought each other tonight

paxtang 01-01-2004 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinto80
:p they fought each other tonight

Kinda. I mean, McCarthy doesn't even try to FIGHT anymore. At least when Domi and Brash drop the gloves, they still do their thing (keep hugging comments to a minimum).

Steve L* 01-01-2004 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thalia
I think if you asked Oilers' fans, you'd find that Laraque is having a midlife identity crisis of his own.

Even so, I doubt they'd make that trade.

I knew that but maybe a change of scenery does them both a world of good.

Legionnaire 01-01-2004 03:04 PM

Quote:

Kinda. I mean, McCarthy doesn't even try to FIGHT anymore. At least when Domi and Brash drop the gloves, they still do their thing (keep hugging comments to a minimum).

Give me a break! Mc Carthy dropped to the ice faster than I would have :D

paxtang 01-01-2004 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Give me a break! Mc Carthy dropped to the ice faster than I would have :D

I think in the fights he actually has been in this year, he may have thrown a total of 5 punches.

Fla.Flyer.Fan 01-01-2004 06:49 PM

Domi had a look of " yeh, that's what I thought would happen" on his face, when McCarthy dove for the ice.

Quote:

I think if you asked Oilers' fans, you'd find that Laraque is having a midlife identity crisis of his own
I think that the real issue with all of these guys. They've all been around for a long time, had a lot of fights and (inevitably) taken a lot of shots.I guess there comes a time when you just don't want it anymore. However, if I couldn't/wouldn't do my job anymore - my *ss would get fired!

c-carp 01-01-2004 07:05 PM

Quote:

Sandy is the mater of the "I am going to kick your ass glare" all he does is stare at people.

ehc73 01-01-2004 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-carp
Sandy is the mater of the "I am going to kick your ass glare" all he does is stare at people.

Hoping that the "if looks could kill" saying actually works?

Bob Clarke Fan Club 01-02-2004 02:24 PM

Does anyone else out there see that although Brash hasn't been in a ton of fights this year...he hasn't lost one. When he decides to throw punches with bad intentions, he beats guys badly...and makes a statement. He also has developed into a player who can log a respectable amount of ice time and not hurt us. I know Fedorouk fights more, but he really should be as he has no talent whatsoever. I for one, am glad we have Brashear. I'd certainly rather have him sitting quietly on our bench than wearing a Leaf or logging time for Burnsy in Jersey. One more thing...A little logic here: If Ken Hitchcock is such a brilliant coach and Bobby Clarke hates "patsies" so much; wouldn't they see Brashear stepping away from fights? Is it even fathomable that he's being told when and when not to fight?? :dunno: