HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Hurricanes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Eric Cole (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=402299)

canuckhockey09* 07-17-2007 06:09 PM

Eric Cole

Hey I've heard some rumors that the Canucks have interest in Eric Cole, what do you guys think would be a reasonable return for Cole? Do you think an Ohlund-Cole swap would be fair?

DeathFromAbove 07-17-2007 06:52 PM

For ****s Sakes Its Spelt Erik

Fan of The Game 07-17-2007 08:01 PM

I don't want to move Cole period. Oh, its Erik. With a K

Citizen Cane 07-17-2007 08:11 PM

I don't want to either, but to get some quality defensive help it may take it. I would at least consider Cole for Ohlund and something marginal.

caniac247 07-17-2007 08:38 PM

I'd rather not trade Cole, but a Cole for Ohlund doesn't sound too far out of reach. I guess it all depends on whether JR feels comfortable with our D and if he's willing to trade Cole, one of the best power forwards out there.

Getting rid of Cole could hurt this team more than help it. Something to really think about it.

caniacgirl12 07-17-2007 08:59 PM

Is this that same Eric Cole Eklund has been talking about? Or is it Eclund?

Ajackalit 07-17-2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen Cane (Post 9950095)
I don't want to either, but to get some quality defensive help it may take it. I would at least consider Cole for Ohlund and something marginal.

righttttt...a guy with lingering effects from a broken neck for an underpaid top pairing defenseman......nonis says no.

bleedgreen 07-17-2007 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartnonis (Post 9950674)
righttttt...a guy with lingering effects from a broken neck for an underpaid top pairing defenseman......nonis says no.

right. he scored almost 30 goals again, after a broken heck. he is one of the top 5 power forwards in the game. youd be lucky to get him for ohlund. ohlund may be my favorite d man in the game, but i dont want to trade cole. youre seriously undervaluing cole. he would be your top winger immediately unless naslund makes a huge comeback. ilike d sedin a lot as well, but i wouldnt play him over cole. cole would be huge on their line, actually.

Fan of The Game 07-17-2007 09:59 PM

If Cole moves, it is gona be a sad day. lol

Canes Fan 07-17-2007 10:08 PM

Don't worry Cole is not going anywhere. Hopefully I will not eat my words.

What the Faulk 07-17-2007 10:58 PM

Jagr is a power forward? There goes your credibility.

Yes, he's better than Getzlaf, Horton and Michalek (at least for now). Most of HF thinks he's better than Doan as of right now according to a recent poll. Since you wanna go by points, he's better than Nash and his career high of 57. Shanahan is winding his career down.

That puts him 4th behind Ovechkin, Thornton, and Iginla. While I agree Daniel Sedin is better...he'd be very very good playing with the Sedins.

Africa. 07-17-2007 11:05 PM

Trade Cole to the Habs please.(He's in my top 5 favourite players.)

Ajackalit 07-17-2007 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Sam (Post 9951545)
Jagr is a power forward? There goes your credibility.

Yes, he's better than Getzlaf, Horton and Michalek (at least for now). Most of HF thinks he's better than Doan as of right now according to a recent poll. Since you wanna go by points, he's better than Nash and his career high of 57. Shanahan is winding his career down.

That puts him 4th behind Ovechkin, Thornton, and Iginla. While I agree Daniel Sedin is better...he'd be very very good playing with the Sedins.

There isn't a GM in the league that would take Cole over Getzlaf, Horton or Michalek.....they are all better NOW

Nash has scored more NHL goals than Cole and he's 23.....and he plays for a **** team that has never had a supporting cast like Cole has enjoyed.

Cole = Overpaid, Overrated and injured for the rest of his life......

Canes Fan 07-17-2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartnonis (Post 9951656)
There isn't a GM in the league that would take Cole over Getzlaf, Horton or Michalek.....they are all better NOW

Nash has scored more NHL goals than Cole and he's 23.....and he plays for a **** team that has never had a supporting cast like Cole has enjoyed.

When have you seen Cole play in person?

Ajackalit 07-18-2007 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canes Fan (Post 9951791)
When have you seen Cole play in person?

I've seen Cole play in person a couple times and watched him on TV a bunch (we get a lot of televised hockey in Canada). He's a good player....before the neck thing he was a great player. I just wouldn't trade Ohlund for him and he isn't a top five power forward in the league. Hell guys, I understand your POV, we get attached to these players. If Cole was healthy I'd be interested.....but he isn't and may never be. Ohlund is a top pairing defenseman that can put up 30-40 points, shut down the best opposition forwards, log 25-30 minutes a night and he only draws a $3.5mm salary for two more seasons. He would instantly become your best defenseman and Cole isn't even one of our top three forwards.

Vagrant 07-18-2007 12:56 AM

Flaming and trolling ends here. Use the report post function if you see something questionable and we'll get on it.

bleedgreen 07-18-2007 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartnonis (Post 9951656)

there is no way i would take michalek, horton or even getzlaf (though he would be the closest) over cole as a power forward. michalek isnt a power forward yet, he is almost all finesse. getzlaf has better hands, but he isnt as all around effective yet. i dont think horton is there yet either. you obviously think younger is better, i prefer good now and these guys arent better than cole at what he does. just because he was a late bloomer means nothing. i would take nash over him, but not the others. cole is a bargain at his pay rate, and you couldnt possibly have watched the canes that much to think he is overrated.

i watched couver all year, i wouldnt take sedin over cole. just isnt as much of an impact player. better points, better shot - not an all around better player to me. definitely cant do the things cole can.

cole will have to deal with his injury for the rest of his life, but one year into that rehab he is already back to close to where he was. he will only get better from here, his style hasnt changed so i just dont know where youre getting him as injury prone, or injured at all really. gary roberts came back from just as much and maintained his effectiveness for years. why not cole?

how is cole not one of your top three forwards? naslund = overpaid, overated, probably too old to get it back to where it was.

Sportacus 07-18-2007 01:40 AM

IF I was Nonis, I'd take Cole for Ohlund pretty quickly, if I were JR, I'd have to think about it.

Ajackalit 07-18-2007 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedgreen (Post 9952315)
there is no way i would take michalek, horton or even getzlaf (though he would be the closest) over cole as a power forward. michalek isnt a power forward yet, he is almost all finesse. getzlaf has better hands, but he isnt as all around effective yet. i dont think horton is there yet either. you obviously think younger is better, i prefer good now and these guys arent better than cole at what he does. just because he was a late bloomer means nothing. i would take nash over him, but not the others. cole is a bargain at his pay rate, and you couldnt possibly have watched the canes that much to think he is overrated.

i watched couver all year, i wouldnt take sedin over cole. just isnt as much of an impact player. better points, better shot - not an all around better player to me. definitely cant do the things cole can.

cole will have to deal with his injury for the rest of his life, but one year into that rehab he is already back to close to where he was. he will only get better from here, his style hasnt changed so i just dont know where youre getting him as injury prone, or injured at all really. gary roberts came back from just as much and maintained his effectiveness for years. why not cole?

how is cole not one of your top three forwards? naslund = overpaid, overated, probably too old to get it back to where it was.

I couldn't disagree more vehemently (without getting banned) about Getzlaf; he was the best offensive player in the playoffs..and he's 21. At this point, there are only a handful of players in the league I would pick over him. We see him a lot out west and I couldn't have a bigger hate on for that guy. Thats got to be the ultimate test for how you value a player on another team eh?

As for the injury, there has been a fair bit of press recently. He is still feeling the effects of his "broken neck"and doesn't expect to ever recover the mobility he once had. Considering the type of game he plays, that is a significant concern - isn't it?

Vagrant 07-18-2007 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartnonis (Post 9952390)
As for the injury, there has been a fair bit of press recently. He is still feeling the effects of his "broken neck"and doesn't expect to ever recover the mobility he once had. Considering the type of game he plays, that is a significant concern - isn't it?

Not as much as you may think. Glen Wesley had a compacted vertebra in his neck and actually went the extra step to have them fused together via an operation and the mobility that he lost was in the range of motion in his neck turning side to side and things of that nature. It wasn't mobility as in skating mobility, which would be a bigger concern for a player like Cole.

The situation with Cole is that his compacted C5 veterbra in his neck fused to his C4 without having to have an operation. It healed that way naturally in the healing process and is now stronger than it would have been without ever being injured. The price he pays for that strength in his neck is the loss of lateral mobility in his neck. Glen Wesley has been playing effective hockey for at least a decade since that operation and has had no ill effects. The level of pain that Cole had to endure last year is likely not going to return for him due to the progress in his prognosis.

I would say that an extra inch of being able to turn your neck isn't what made Erik Cole a great hockey player. I don't see the problem there.

bleedgreen 07-18-2007 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartnonis (Post 9952390)
I couldn't disagree more vehemently (without getting banned) about Getzlaf; he was the best offensive player in the playoffs..and he's 21. At this point, there are only a handful of players in the league I would pick over him. We see him a lot out west and I couldn't have a bigger hate on for that guy. Thats got to be the ultimate test for how you value a player on another team eh?

this isnt new news. he said the same thing last season. its not like that article brought about something we hadnt heard before. it actually seems to be a reprint of basically an identical article last year. i think theyre just filling up space during the summer. he didnt have the mobility going into this season and still scored plenty. he's only going to be more mobile this season. he just has to keep training to strengthen. youre talking like this article mentions some new twist. it isnt "getting press" lately. the newsobserver ran a summer story on him, and it got reprinted or just spread around here like it was new gossip. it isnt. its been this way the whole time.

getzlaf did great this playoff, and most of the season - but he has to do it all the time to get the nod over cole. maybe he will soon, he just isnt there yet. i think if you were a eastern conference guy, youd hate cole just as much...all the other eastern conference fans do.

ANTON HIS HOLINESS 07-18-2007 03:13 PM

We'd have to either get Ohlund straight up or Bieksa and a decent pick/prospect for Cole.l

Les Ouragans 07-18-2007 04:02 PM

I'm not hot on moving Cole - as mentioned above I think some folks see him as damaged goods well beyond his actual injury aftermath. I don't know how much the lingering problems materially changes what he brings to the table, and this year may show that. A little loss in lateral movement in his neck isn't going to make that big a difference. Besides, he only moves north - south anyway - beeline to the net doesn't require many lateral moves :)

snakepliskin 07-18-2007 08:40 PM

i would be happy to take our chances with cole and our d as it currently exists. dont answer the phone JR

Canes Fan 07-19-2007 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakepliskin (Post 9960474)
i would be happy to take our chances with cole and our d as it currently exists. dont answer the phone JR

I agree don't move Cole. He is the heart :heart: of our team.