HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Is Oates the biggest flop of the year? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=40290)

Iggy-4-50 01-01-2004 09:34 PM

Is Oates the biggest flop of the year?
 
3 assists in 15 games is not a 2 million dollar centre is it? winning 60% of faceoffs isn't worth 2 mill either...IMHO.

Just looking at his stats from the last few years:

2000... 82 points
2001... 78 points
2002... 45 points
2003... 3 points (on pace for 12 points)


Age caught up at 41?

barrytrotzsneck 01-01-2004 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T@T
3 assists in 15 games is not a 2 million dollar centre is it? winning 60% of faceoffs isn't worth 2 mill either...IMHO.

Just looking at his stats from the last few years:

2000... 82 points
2001... 78 points
2002... 45 points
2003... 3 points (on pace for 12 points)


Age caught up at 41?

as penace, i award an oilers fan to be named later the right to start a thread for the sole purpose of besmirching the Flames.

trolling isn't cute. it's sad.

Semenko 01-01-2004 09:39 PM

Nah,

I'd say Fedorov at 8 million a year an - 8 is. Plus he will be with the Ducks at that rate until he is about 40. So, it's just getting worse.

I think Oates problem is that he can't dish the puck to a finisher with who he is playing. He has always been an assist man.

The Rage 01-01-2004 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T@T
3 assists in 15 games is not a 2 million dollar centre is it? winning 60% of faceoffs isn't worth 2 mill either...IMHO.

Just looking at his stats from the last few years:

2000... 82 points
2001... 78 points
2002... 45 points
2003... 3 points (on pace for 12 points)


Age caught up at 41?

I said this when Oates was signed and I'll say it again. Usually when guys miss training camp, but are skating during that time, they struggle when they first come back. Oates missed more than training camp and was not skating at the time. As I said at the time, his true presence will not be felt until the second half, but atleast he vastly improved the Oiler's horrendous faceoffs, which IS important.

Jacob 01-01-2004 09:45 PM

Did anyone really expect Oates to be a productive player as an Oiler? The guy needs shooters.

The Rage 01-01-2004 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semenko

I think Oates problem is that he can't dish the puck to a finisher with who he is playing. He has always been an assist man.

That is true. The Oilers have no true snipers. Their goal scorers (the few they do have) usually are guys who score by driving to the net, or by deflecting shots etc. I can't count how many times the Oilers have racked up the shots but haven't been able to finish.

Guest 01-01-2004 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Did anyone really expect Oates to be a productive player as an Oiler? The guy needs shooters.

I thought there was a chance that he would team up with Smyth and really light it up, but that was only a chance, no guarantee for sure.

I thought he'd do better than this, but it always happens to players who don't go through camp. It's just too consistent for anyone to stray from the belief in my opinion.

Burke's Evil Spirit 01-01-2004 09:50 PM

Oates is winning faceoffs, which I guess is his job. Signing him was pretty dumb, but I think Vaclav Prospal's situation is much worse.

Iggy-4-50 01-01-2004 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
as penace, i award an oilers fan to be named later the right to start a thread for the sole purpose of besmirching the Flames.

trolling isn't cute. it's sad.

Trolling?
You only bring that up because of my aviator,if i was a say an Altlanta fan you wouldn't have even posted such rubbish...this thread was posted because Oates looks like a complete bust not because he's an Oiler.
I would have post Prospal's flop too but someone else allready posted that thread!! and personly i think Oates is worst.

BTW,i'm not the type of poster to go on about how much the Oilers "suck" this year. :D

Semenko 01-01-2004 10:03 PM

Cool, then none of us will point out that they make the playoffs on occasion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T@T
BTW,i'm not the type of poster to go on about how much the Oilers "suck" this year. :D


Munchausen 01-01-2004 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rage
I said this when Oates was signed and I'll say it again. Usually when guys miss training camp, but are skating during that time, they struggle when they first come back. Oates missed more than training camp and was not skating at the time. As I said at the time, his true presence will not be felt until the second half, but atleast he vastly improved the Oiler's horrendous faceoffs, which IS important.

Saku Koivu missed all of training camp + 13 regular season games without skating (knee injury) and struggled for about 5 games before getting back on a PPG pace. I think it's more a combinaison of having very little left in the tank for Oates and a lack of sniper/finisher kind of linemates.

golfmade 01-01-2004 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semenko
Cool, then none of us will point out that they make the playoffs on occasion.

:joker:

Burke's Evil Spirit 01-02-2004 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
Saku Koivu missed all of training camp + 13 regular season games without skating (knee injury) and struggled for about 5 games before getting back on a PPG pace. I think it's more a combinaison of having very little left in the tank for Oates and a lack of sniper/finisher kind of linemates.

Not to mention Mike Comrie or Steve Thomas.

SabresRule 01-02-2004 07:36 AM

his struggling. he hasnt played in ages and his getting old.

Slats432 01-02-2004 08:07 AM

Don Cherry made reference to Adam Oates during a CC that Oates didn't work out in the offseason, didn't start skating until he signed with the Oilers.

I think that they Oilers should have taken that into account when deciding what dollar figure to offer him.

He hasn't done the job the Oilers have wanted him to yet...but there is still season left...

And T@T, when you bash a team with the rival's logo as your avatar...it is called trolling. :teach:

Thalia 01-02-2004 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slats432

And T@T, when you bash a team with the rival's logo as your avatar...it is called trolling. :teach:

You consider T@T's Oate's comment a "bash"? Wow, I thought it was pretty tame; something I wouldn't think twice about starting a thread on. Maybe I need to re-adjust my thinking. :blush:

If that's the case, then I'm in deep doo-doo too and must remember to go avatarless when I start a thread about other players that aren't Canucks. :eek:

BERTUZZINATION 01-02-2004 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thalia
You consider T@T's Oate's comment a "bash"? Wow, I thought it was pretty tame; something I wouldn't think twice about starting a thread on. Maybe I need to re-adjust my thinking. :blush:

If that's the case, then I'm in deep doo-doo too and must remember to go avatarless when I start a thread about other players that aren't Canucks. :eek:


didn't Oates miss a substantial number of games last year due to injury? isn't 45 points a little misleading? I don't think the guy is awesome, but I bet he's gonna do a lot better than 12 points this year...the first number of games he was in he barely played at all, didn't he? I think he should soon hit stride...

Jerky Leclerc 01-02-2004 08:28 AM

Three quick comments in response to some posts above.

Oates broke his hand last year with Anaheim and it hurt his productivity midway through last season. But still, he stabilized the center position for the Ducks and gave the team a savvy vet who lead the young Ducks to the 7th game of the Stanley Cup. Lets not forget, it was Oates on the ice winnning faceoffs or making smart plays that gave Anaheim some key victories last year in the playoffs.

Fedorov is leading Anaheim in scoring with 26 pts. Should his production be higher? Sure but Anaheim is only starting to gell and don't be surprise if Fedorov and Sykora's stats go up the second half of the season. He has been anything but a bust for the Ducks.

Prospal has been a good player for the Ducks. 19 pts in 37 games is not great compared to his dream season last year. But the Ducks didn't sign him to be a go-to-guy. Fedorov and Sykora are the gamebreakers. Like Fedorov, Prospal is still finding himself with the team and its only a matter of time the Ducks find its identity. The team has been playing alittle better since having a players-only meeting after losing to Florida 3-2. IMO, the entire Comrie fiasco distracted the team and they got complacent waiting for Bryan Murray to make changes when in reality, the players needed to step up. The talent is there. Now its just a matter of the players grooving and having fun.

Thalia 01-02-2004 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERTUZZINATION
didn't Oates miss a substantial number of games last year due to injury? isn't 45 points a little misleading? I don't think the guy is awesome, but I bet he's gonna do a lot better than 12 points this year...the first number of games he was in he barely played at all, didn't he? I think he should soon hit stride...

Are you asking me these questions about Oates, b/c if you are, my answer is... I have no idea. Maybe it was a rhetorical question b/c it seems as though you probably already know the answer. :p

Leaf Lander 01-02-2004 08:47 AM

oates didnt skate which was dumbbbbbbbbb+

hes coming around

he will be his old self soon!

neelynugs 01-02-2004 08:53 AM

adam oates is exactly what boston needs. sadly, he will never play for the b's, b/c harry sinden and management still hold a grudge against him.

Unthinkable 01-02-2004 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc
Prospal has been a good player for the Ducks. 19 pts in 37 games is not great compared to his dream season last year. But the Ducks didn't sign him to be a go-to-guy. Fedorov and Sykora are the gamebreakers. Like Fedorov, Prospal is still finding himself with the team and its only a matter of time the Ducks find its identity. The team has been playing alittle better since having a players-only meeting after losing to Florida 3-2.

I'd argue they did sign him to be a go-to-guy with that $6.5 million dollar contract. Fedorov was clearly their number one target in the offseason, but they didn't exactly run through the roses to grab Prospal for his defense now. The Ducks were banking on him to be a big time impact player and so far he really hasn't been to date.

Fighter 01-02-2004 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc
Three quick comments in response to some posts above.

Oates broke his hand last year with Anaheim and it hurt his productivity midway through last season. But still, he stabilized the center position for the Ducks and gave the team a savvy vet who lead the young Ducks to the 7th game of the Stanley Cup. Lets not forget, it was Oates on the ice winnning faceoffs or making smart plays that gave Anaheim some key victories last year in the playoffs.

Fedorov is leading Anaheim in scoring with 26 pts. Should his production be higher? Sure but Anaheim is only starting to gell and don't be surprise if Fedorov and Sykora's stats go up the second half of the season. He has been anything but a bust for the Ducks.

Prospal has been a good player for the Ducks. 19 pts in 37 games is not great compared to his dream season last year. But the Ducks didn't sign him to be a go-to-guy. Fedorov and Sykora are the gamebreakers. Like Fedorov, Prospal is still finding himself with the team and its only a matter of time the Ducks find its identity. The team has been playing alittle better since having a players-only meeting after losing to Florida 3-2. IMO, the entire Comrie fiasco distracted the team and they got complacent waiting for Bryan Murray to make changes when in reality, the players needed to step up. The talent is there. Now its just a matter of the players grooving and having fun.

Can't agree more :handclap:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.