HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Shock Doctor Hockey Bag? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=402934)

Leetchie 07-19-2007 03:29 PM

Shock Doctor Hockey Bag?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

I've read mixed reviews -- one person said it's worth every penny, another said it's worthless.

I've been playing for years, and my equipment is starting to get unbearable in the odor department. I do air out my equipment and occasionally "wash" it in the bathtub with laundry detergent but it just doesn't cut it anymore.

Any opinions?

WhipNash27 07-19-2007 03:41 PM

I have the bag. I'll list some pros and cons

Pros:
It does work, it will clean & dry your equipment.
You could literally leave your equipment in the car all week, then put the thing on 3 hours before you leave for your game and it will be dry and most of the odors will be gone.
It has wheels
It's really big
You'll be the best smelling guy on the team
You don't need to take your equipment out of the bag to clean it

Cons:
It's really big (You could fit a body in this thing), this could be an issue if you have a smaller car or have a crowded locker room. I can hardly fit the bag into my civic.
While it does clean your equipment and take away most of the smell, it doesn't do a perfect job. You'll still have to wash the stuff every once in a while.
Expensive
Makes the room smell like hockey stench while the bag is cleaned
Doesn't do much for the smell inside of your gloves (if that bothers you)

Neutral:
It does a decent job on your jersey, socks, etc. but I'd recommend putting those in the wash after every game because they do tend to carry the smell if you don't wash for a while. Although I've gone months without washing my jersey and stuff and they still don't smell bad most of the time.
Sometimes you have to run it twice (6 hours) in order to get everything good. I've run it three hours before leaving for a game and my equipment was still a little damp.
The instructions for equipment placement don't include your pants, but there's plenty of room for them.

Overall:
The bag does its job. I was lucky to get it for $130 for the whole system because epuck screwed up and included the dryer with the bag for the price of only the bag. Normally you'll find it for like $170 for the whole system. If money isn't a problem for you, then I'd go for it. Personally I love the bag, though.

epuck has their own review:
http://www.epuck.com/webapp/wcs/stor...tegory_rn=4920
and one customer review
http://www.epuck.com/webapp/wcs/stor...egoryId=891847

sc37 07-19-2007 08:21 PM

You sure it cleans? I thoguht it was really only to help kinda delay the onset of the hockey stink?

Redden Hogalot* 07-19-2007 09:50 PM

Whatever you do don't buy one of those cheap wheel bags. I bought two once and both of the wheels broke.. But I think they're made for goalies anyways because they have heavier equipment. Just stick with the old fashion kind like what I have now. Mines very small, i'm surprised I can still fit my equipment in it.. Lol

The Tikkanen 07-20-2007 12:57 AM

For the money that bag costs you should put it towards a new, high efficiency wash machine. I wash everything but my gloves and skates after every season, spray down shin, elbow, gloves, ice pants with febreze anti-microbial after every game and my gear never smells. You gotta wash your jersey after every game boys. You got spit, blood, snot and whatever else kind of bacteria on that thing.

deadinmi 07-22-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikkanen (Post 9971614)
For the money that bag costs you should put it towards a new, high efficiency wash machine. You gotta wash your jersey after every game boys. You got spit, blood, snot and whatever else kind of bacteria on that thing.

Sounds like something a mom would say.... But I agree completely, I even wash after longer practices...

Redden Hogalot* 07-23-2007 08:39 PM

Lol, I dont think I washed my equipment in a long time..

WhipNash27 07-23-2007 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc37 (Post 9969803)
You sure it cleans? I thoguht it was really only to help kinda delay the onset of the hockey stink?

It supposedly it kills the bacteria...

Quote:

System Details:
The heart of the PowerDry System is Shock Doctors patented freestanding portable blower unit. This unit sends ionized heated or cooled air through a flexible integrated hose straight into the PowerDry gear bag. This specially charged air dries equipment over a period of just a few hours, providing a germ killing effect that not only creates a lightweight high performance result for the player, but also ensures dry, better smelling and clean equipment.