HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Curtis Joseph? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=402992)

MMessier11 07-19-2007 05:20 PM

Curtis Joseph?

Just wondering what you guys thought of bringing in CuJo as our backup? I'm personally not comfortable going in with Vally and it looks like the 'yotes aren't bringin him back (they signed abescheir today).

The Thomas J.* 07-19-2007 08:08 PM

He Still wants to be a starter.

dkich96 07-19-2007 08:38 PM

I would be all for it...

NYRBlaznBure9 07-19-2007 09:55 PM

Damn, I'd be all for Cujo being backup. Signed at 1 mill or less, I think he could be a very reliable addition, and allow Henke to rest on an acceptable basis.

TheRedressor 07-19-2007 10:09 PM

I'd be all for him as a backcup for 500k

blue425 07-19-2007 10:14 PM

I think Montoya should get 20-25 games as our backup this year. He's already here, and if he puts up good numbers it will increase his trade value.

Thoughts?

Jagr68Lundqvist30 07-19-2007 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue425 (Post 9970637)
I think Montoya should get 20-25 games as our backup this year. He's already here, and if he puts up good numbers it will increase his trade value.

Thoughts?

No, Lundqvist plays at least 70 games

frozenrubber 07-19-2007 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue425 (Post 9970637)

Thoughts?

Montoya is a bit of a cap casualty. His entry level contract is higher than Valley's and has bonuses. I do not know the levels he needs to reach to obtain the bonuses, but Montoya could be particularly expensive for a backup.

I personally don't think much of Steve Valiquette, but unless the Rangers can obtain a better goalie at a similar cap hit (~600k), the Rangers appear happy to save money at this position.

RGY 07-19-2007 11:42 PM

I think Monty would be the right guy to back up Lundqvist, just to get him used to the NHL this season. He needs to come up and work his way in eventually. He's been pretty good at the AHL ready and I'd say he's 95% ready

RangerBoy 07-20-2007 06:19 AM

This topic was broached last week

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=400836&page=1

Aebischer went for $600,000 yesterday.He made $1.9 million last season

Look around the NHL,there are no openings available

James Mirtle broke it down in his blog

It's either play for close to the NHL minimum of $475,000,play in Europe,retire or sit by the phone waiting for a team to call(Felix Potvin tried that two years ago and he did not receive a single offer)

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2007/07/musical-chairs.html

Burke is the obvious choice because he worked with Benoit Allaire in Phoenix.Now that Aebischer is in Phoenix,Raycroft is staying in TO which closes a door for Cujo

Burke and Cujo don't need the money.If they want to continue their careers and play for a good team,the offer is 1 year/$500,000

NYRJurgen88 07-20-2007 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 9972254)
This topic was broached last week

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=400836&page=1

Aebischer went for $600,000 yesterday.He made $1.9 million last season

Look around the NHL,there are no openings available

James Mirtle broke it down in his blog

It's either play for close to the NHL minimum of $475,000,play in Europe,retire or sit by the phone waiting for a team to call(Felix Potvin tried that two years ago and he did not receive a single offer)

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2007/07/musical-chairs.html

Burke is the obvious choice because he worked with Benoit Allaire in Phoenix.Now that Aebischer is in Phoenix,Raycroft is staying in TO which closes a door for Cujo

Burke and Cujo don't need the money.If they want to continue their careers and play for a good team,the offer is 1 year/$500,000

Given the high turnove on this team already, i cant see us changing the back up position. I think Renney etc are comfortable with Vally there or they wouldnt have dressed him all playoffs even when Weekes was fit:teach:

Vally will start and CuJo wont have a spot opening night anyway IMO. Even Ty Conklin is being preferred to players like CuJO for back up jobs like in Pittsburgh...is this because he still wants to start? probably, but he isnt coming to NYC

SPG 07-20-2007 08:22 AM

CuJo would not be happy in a situation where he plays less than 20 games. If he signs somewhere as a backup, I'm sure it will be with a team where he'd play a little more than he would here in NY.

Hydrowing 07-20-2007 10:08 AM

Tis a pity, CuJO wants to win a stanley cup, and is getting old, but no good team is interested in signing him. CuJo back in the day was one of the best goltenders. He has the 5th most career wins in NHL history as goltenders.

Ola 07-20-2007 03:54 PM

Guys don't underestimate Valley, he got potential to be a solid backup.

vipernsx 07-20-2007 04:10 PM

I'd rather see if Vally or Monty step up in training camp. If they're really poor then grab a backup, if they're decent, let them play.

The Thomas J.* 07-20-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrowing (Post 9973458)
Tis a pity, CuJO wants to win a stanley cup, and is getting old, but no good team is interested in signing him. CuJo back in the day was one of the best goltenders. He has the 5th most career wins in NHL history as goltenders.

Man how time Flys, seems like yesterday Edmonton was trying to sign him b4 he became a free agent

Speedtrials 07-20-2007 09:36 PM

Does anyone remember when Richter was a free agent back in 98 or so, it was thought he was going to sign with the Flyers, and we were going to land Cujo. It literally came down to the last minute, and than the news reported we resigned Richter instead, and I was so happy. Anyway, I think it is time for Monty to prove what he has at the NHL level. If Montoya isn't ready for the backup job now, then we have a problem.

Inferno 07-20-2007 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola (Post 9977160)
Guys don't underestimate Valley, he got potential to be a solid backup.

glad im not the only fan of vallys. i think hes a very under-rated goalie. i like the simpleness of his game, and hes got sound positioning. he may not be the best at controlling rebounds, but hes a big guy who lets the puck hit him. i almost liken him to Kolzig-Lite.

The Thomas J.* 07-21-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedtrials (Post 9979735)
Does anyone remember when Richter was a free agent back in 98 or so, it was thought he was going to sign with the Flyers, and we were going to land Cujo. It literally came down to the last minute, and than the news reported we resigned Richter instead, and I was so happy. Anyway, I think it is time for Monty to prove what he has at the NHL level. If Montoya isn't ready for the backup job now, then we have a problem.

I remember being a little concerned that we may lose Richter, but after losing the Captain a year earlier Neil Smith knew he would have rioting fans burning down the Garden if he let Richter & Leetch walk.

I was stunned when The flyers signed Beezer, so where Philly fans, I remeber the headline of the Philly Paper's saying BEZZZ-DUH
Very harsh.

MrAlfie 07-21-2007 04:52 PM

in my opinion monty is better off if he plays another season as a hartford starter.