HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   [Proposal] Straka (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=403633)

JRL 07-21-2007 07:59 PM

[Proposal] Straka

So, I'm hunting around for players that Vancouver might want. Our GM has said that he's waiting to see some of the arbitration numbers. Then he's going to look at the teams arbitration has pushed near or over the cap, who will want to free up cap space. Thus, here I am at your Forum.

My thinking is, Avery and Hossa will get there arbitration settled and I assume that Sather will accept them (just an assumption). That will push him to make a move to dump salary. Straka will be an UFA next year, making him an atractive player to move, since you may lose him next off-season anyway. Also, there is very good depth at centre now with Drury and Gomez. (Straka could play wing instead I know).

So, what do you Rangers fans think of that. I'd like to know in particular about the value of Straka staying (i.e. extremely good chemistry with other players etc.) or going from the people that know better than I.

Here's what I think you might get for Straka (soley based on him being a UFA next year, forcing his value down in a potential trade). I think you'd get a 3rd rd pick, Edler, Hansen, or a combination. (both those guys have shown good upside and are very close to NHL ready).

Am I just totally wrong or could there be something here?

Balej20* 07-21-2007 08:00 PM

Straka only signed a one year contract to play with the Rangers and the Rangers only. He's not going anywhere...and probably is retiring after this season.

csdevs 07-21-2007 08:02 PM

Probably wrong, because the Rangers seem to being going for it this year and Straka is a big part of the puzzle.

BwayBshirt 07-21-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRL (Post 9985462)
So, I'm hunting around for players that Vancouver might want. Our GM has said that he's waiting to see some of the arbitration numbers. Then he's going to look at the teams arbitration has pushed near or over the cap, who will want to free up cap space. Thus, here I am at your Forum.

My thinking is, Avery and Hossa will get there arbitration settled and I assume that Sather will accept them (just an assumption). That will push him to make a move to dump salary. Straka will be an UFA next year, making him an atractive player to move, since you may lose him next off-season anyway. Also, there is very good depth at centre now with Drury and Gomez. (Straka could play wing instead I know).

So, what do you Rangers fans think of that. I'd like to know in particular about the value of Straka staying (i.e. extremely good chemistry with other players etc.) or going from the people that know better than I.

Here's what I think you might get for Straka (soley based on him being a UFA next year, forcing his value down in a potential trade). I think you'd get a 3rd rd pick, Edler, Hansen, or a combination. (both those guys have shown good upside and are very close to NHL ready).

what balej20 said. and in case you're wondering...yes, either straka has been quoted on those things or at the very least it's been well reported.

wolfgaze 07-21-2007 08:07 PM

Straks!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...artyStraka.jpg

Inferno 07-21-2007 08:10 PM

Straka is part of the solution, not part of the problem. next to Jagr, hes arguably the most "bang for your buck" player we have.

no way in hell would i trade him, unless a team is riduculously overpaying, but why would any team do that?

JRL 07-21-2007 08:11 PM

Thanks for that info, I was kind of hoping he'd be available though. What about Hossa. I know he hasn't been performing all that well. Do you think he might be let go?

I Am Chariot 07-21-2007 08:13 PM

Straka will retire a NY Ranger

wolfgaze 07-21-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRL (Post 9985531)
Thanks for that info, I was kind of hoping he'd be available though. What about Hossa. I know he hasn't been performing all that well. Do you think he might be let go?

If an arbitrator awarded him a $1 mil salary, he would likely be let go... Although I can't see why he would get that much being is that he's never scored more then 10 goals or so in a season...

I Am Chariot 07-21-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRL (Post 9985531)

Actually Hossa was amazing 2nd half of last season. Finally just won over most of his sourest critics.

But than he was injured.

Now we have to see, but Tom Renny loves The Hossa Project

TheRedressor 07-21-2007 08:29 PM

I don't really see any Ranger fowards being tradeable at this point. On the blueline however is another case:

Paul Mara, Malik and Hutchinson are the only ones likely to be traded.

Nobody is going to pay for Kasper.

Rozsival
Tyutin
Girardi
Pock
Strudwick
Staal

These guys are going nowhere, the highlighted all make less than 2 million dollars

eco's bones 07-21-2007 08:34 PM

Straka has made it clear--his two choices of where to play are NYC as in the Rangers or back home in the Czech Rep. He gave the Rangers a discount for the coming season when he signed late last season. If Vancouver dealt for him they would more than probably be bringing in an unhappy player and one that they more than probably be able to re-sign. In any case this may well be Straka's last season in North America. Or maybe he'll stay on until Jagr goes. Whatever the case it seems his NHL career will soon be over.

chip chipperson* 07-21-2007 08:40 PM

straka doesn't go anywhere. if its not broke don't fix it. even with 29 goals last season he does have long stretches of not scoring, but he knows how to get jagr the puck. i see no reason to trade him.

BDubinskyNYR17* 07-21-2007 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eco's bones (Post 9985651)
Straka has made it clear--his two choices of where to play are NYC as in the Rangers or back home in the Czech Rep. He gave the Rangers a discount for the coming season when he signed late last season. If Vancouver dealt for him they would more than probably be bringing in an unhappy player and one that they more than probably be able to re-sign. In any case this may well be Straka's last season in North America. Or maybe he'll stay on until Jagr goes. Whatever the case it seems his NHL career will soon be over.

i hope not, i love watching straka play. And considering this guy was picked up on waivers at one point.

15-Mar-96: Claimed by the Florida Panthers off waivers from the New York Islanders.

blue2noise 07-21-2007 09:26 PM

Quote:

You will take Marek Malik and you will like it. :rant:

RangerSteve 07-21-2007 09:47 PM

Do fans of other teams honestly think we aren't trying to WIN a Stanley Cup as opposed to dealing off our vets for marginal picks/prospects?

MidnightRanger 07-21-2007 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerSteve (Post 9986054)
Do fans of other teams honestly think we aren't trying to WIN a Stanley Cup as opposed to dealing off our vets for marginal picks/prospects?

That's what pisses me off the most with these stupid proposals. Their friggin ignorance.

CM Lundqvist 07-21-2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

From all acounts, Edler is a pretty good prospect from what I've heard, arguably Vancouver's best defensive prospect from what I've read on their board. He's even surpassed Bourdon in their minds, so he must be a pretty good prospect. Hansen I'm not too sure about.

But I completely agree, it's just not the right situation. He's one of the best bang-for-your-buck players in the NHL, as mentioned previously by another poster. He scores 20-30 goals and 70+ points a year at just over 3 million. That's an absolute steal. There is no need to deal him unless we're going to get a cheaper forward who can put up similar numbers or better in return. In essence, an overpayment, and no general manager is going to be willing to do so for a player who is going to be 35 in September.

If we didn't load up for the cup, and I didn't think we were close to making a legit run for it, he's one player that I'd consider dealing, because his value is somewhat high right now if you ask me. But he's also been quoted as not wanting to play anywhere else, because of his friendship with JJ, and retiring after this season. He was supposed to retire after last year, but JJ pulled him back in.

isles20* 07-21-2007 11:11 PM

Quote:

Im not sure if you guys are giving it all to win the cup this year but you also got to think about the future. If you trade straka(which u shouldnt) you would most likely get some good prospects/picks.

TheRedressor 07-22-2007 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isles20 (Post 9986516)
Im not sure if you guys are giving it all to win the cup this year but you also got to think about the future. If you trade straka(which u shouldnt) you would most likely get some good prospects/picks.

The Rangers prospect system is the deepest in the NHL with plenty of 2nd/3rd line players in the system. Not too mention a future elite blueline and and all-star goaltending.

And yes they are loading up to take a run at the cup.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 07-22-2007 09:05 AM

Quote:

He's worth than that to this team. He has said repeatedly that he wants to play for the Rangers or go back to Europe. He signed an extension in the middle of last season when he would have been a UFA this summer.

Want Straka? Come up with a much better offer than that.

CM Lundqvist 07-22-2007 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majoritystorm (Post 9986270)
That's what pisses me off the most with these stupid proposals. Their friggin ignorance.

That pisses me off too. Everyone thinks that they can offer up their garbage for someone else's quality players, and it's a plausible offer.

I remember getting flamed big time for offering Prucha, Montoya, and a 1st for Horton. Some people on this board told me I was massively overpaying, while the Panthers fans thought it was one of the only decent offers they saw for him.

The Thomas J.* 07-22-2007 10:01 AM

Straka is one of the biggest Heart & Soulplayers I've ever seen play the game, the mad comes to,play every night, He played a little less than half the season with his shoulder hanging off hid body & was still productive.