HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   which players will benefit from a change of scenery (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=40462)

Grady41 01-02-2004 02:51 PM

which players will benefit from a change of scenery

Sometimes a player isn't playing well because there are rumors that he will be traded.
Contract talks may be another reason.
Angry with the coach.
Hates the team.
Etc,.

Straka for example knew he was going to be traded and played much better after wards.
Pittsburgh NHL 22 4 8 12 -16
Los Angeles NHL 14 5 4 9 +2

http://www.letsgopens.com/tomas_translations.php?id=54

Rumors have it that Satan (well most Buffalo players are mad at Ruff) Could this be a reason why hes play has been down.

but what I what to know are why are some others playing poorly that could help another team if they were traded

Modano off ice problems wouldn't go away if he was traded. (he's playing better any way now) Same would go for someone with a nagging injury.

but what about
Roman Hamrlik his name comes up a lot in trade rumors hes currently on pace for 0g 24a= 24 +11 48 pim

Even his PIM is way down from what he usually is on pace for.

would it help if he were traded?

Jeff O'Neil was supposely having a tough time with his coach too. Now that the coach is gone is O'Neil performing better?

Lidstrom hasn't been performing too well this year. (I have him on a fantasy team I should know) Whats his problem?

Jovanovski isn't playing too well either (I have him too :mad: ) Whats his problem? I remember their was a thread about this a week or two ago. So no need to really anwser about him.

Boston as a whole isn't playing too well but Murray and Samsonov numbers seem way down. Joe's number too although they are still high. So what is wrong with them?

Modry isn't playing well. Can't we just trade him. He'll play better on someone else team. (I can't guarantee that) Just take him. Please.

So is their a reason some of these guys aren't playing up to expectations? Or do some of them just need to play better and their isn't a reason?

Modry did have surgery on his shoulder before the season started but more likely its just him sucking.

(How hard is to pass the puck to Ziggy and have him do all the work rack up the 2nd assist man. You did that with Allison. You were scoring goals last year too! :mad: )

Looger 01-02-2004 03:15 PM

straka and satan are very streaky players. though satan's production took off after being traded to buffalo, no truth to the rumour it's because the team crest has red eyes and hooves!

modano historically has been a slow starter. he's taking off now.

roman hamrlik? his ice time is down too i think, maybe jane ninniima's presence means a dropoff in PP time. only watched like three isles games this year. anyone have insight?

o'neill only had one 40-goal season, people keep pegging him to do much better every year for some unknown reason.

lidstrom and jovanovski have put up big numbers in the past - and both of their teams are doing well on the PP. why their production is down is a mystery to me. change of scenery worked for jovo before, bet he'd fetch a big return.

samsonov is injured, whether he plays or not. he needs a year off, forsberg-style. and murray's production can probably be linked historically with thornton's.

my own picks for (projected) increased post-trade production:
jaromir jagr
jere lehtinen
brookbank!

King of Kelvington 01-02-2004 03:24 PM

Lindros comes to mind immediatly...he seems to have grown sour in NY.

Phaze 01-02-2004 03:46 PM

Petr Schastlivy

Mack 01-02-2004 03:54 PM

Martin Skoula

Grady41 01-02-2004 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looger
straka and satan are very streaky players. though satan's production took off after being traded to buffalo, no truth to the rumour it's because the team crest has red eyes and hooves!

modano historically has been a slow starter. he's taking off now.

roman hamrlik? his ice time is down too i think, maybe jane ninniima's presence means a dropoff in PP time. only watched like three isles games this year. anyone have insight?

o'neill only had one 40-goal season, people keep pegging him to do much better every year for some unknown reason.

lidstrom and jovanovski have put up big numbers in the past - and both of their teams are doing well on the PP. why their production is down is a mystery to me. change of scenery worked for jovo before, bet he'd fetch a big return.

samsonov is injured, whether he plays or not. he needs a year off, forsberg-style. and murray's production can probably be linked historically with thornton's.

jaromir jagr
jere lehtinen
brookbank!

I would agree that O'Neill 40 goal season appears to be a fluke but I was talking about why he only has 4 goal last I checked his goals have been way down.

"Modano historically has been a slow starter." I don't really buy that usually to be a point a game play you have to be consistent not just a first half or second half guy. It's not like you will always play weak teams in the 2nd half so how does he pad his stats to become known as being a slow starter. I understand it could be because he is more into the game after having 40 games or so to get into a flow.

Why was Modano's +/- so bad though I have to chalk it up to the Lehtinen injury or that bad financial deal Modano blamed it on. Has it ever been that bad? Which is why I said he isn't playing well. It also possible that he isn't the great 2 way center every one thinks he is. Nor the franchise player every one thinks he is. Maybe you can say the capatiancy was too much. Either way he has turned it on now

I forgot Samsonov had been injured. As for Murray's production linked with Thornton's. why that's true my question still remains unanwsered whats wrong with him?

jaromir jagr
jere lehtinen
brookbank!

I think Jagr problem is in his head it won't help him to be traded it could worsen it though.
IF he think his own production will go up if he plays in a different system than goes and it remains the same hecould go into a funk. Jagr would have to go someplace where he can coach too and he won't get that anywhere I feel.

Maybe you can explain why Lehtinen will get better numbers post trade. I think his number will stay the same no matter what system he plays for. he gets his goals from his defense.

:joker: Brookbank wherever that guy ends up his number could only go up since he'd be playing. The canucks got him right? Thats final right?

And before any body jumps on me for saying "Modano might not be the franchise player every one thinks he is." Palffy wasn't thought of as the Kings fanchise player till the 2nd half of last season. when he was playing out of his mind after a slow start. Everybody was saying he was a slow starter too this season he starts hot too and becomes our captain when Norstrom was injured and is one of the most underrated players on the boards.

Grady41 01-02-2004 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCJr
Lindros comes to mind immediatly...he seems to have grown sour in NY.

I'd have to agree with this because it would get him off the 4th line.

I'm not sure why people bag on him so much still.

Look at his numbers the last 3 years

2003-04 NY Rangers NHL 26 6 17 23 +6 38
2002-03 NY Rangers NHL 81 19 34 53 +5 141
2001-02 NY Rangers NHL 72 37 36 73 +19 138

His first season was still a point a game with over 100 PIM
his 2nd season those numbers are down but still not that bad over 100 PIM perhaps not playing with Fleury and York as well as moving to the wing had something to do with this
got injured early this season but can't really argue with 23 points in 26 games.

When their were rumors the Kings were going to get him I was against that because of the rumors that he would ***** if he wasn't the 1st line center but they seem completly unfounded Because I don't remember him *****ing when they made him play wing. Or now that he is on the 4th line.
Best 4th line center in the leauge without a doubt :)

Grady41 01-02-2004 04:53 PM

Vee-Dub, Mack perhaps you guys can explain your picks?

what I really want to know is what wrong with these players that a trade will help with. Damn Hamrlik produce damn you.

I'm a little mad at Hamrlik in particular I had Lidstrom, Jova, and Hammer in my fantasy league and while Lidstrom and Jova weren't producing at the levels they should they were still producing. Hamrlik was doing monkey**** Blew him out hello Zidlicky.

SabresRule 01-02-2004 05:00 PM

Max afinegonov (possibly)
boulton
Delmore!!!!!!!!!
biron

Vincent Vega 01-02-2004 05:39 PM

Eric Lindros. He cant play with Mark Messier around. Like Scarface said, he needs to be a leader and he cant do that with Messier around.

Chevy Cheveldae 01-02-2004 06:11 PM

Tommy Salo

He needs a change of scenery to get his spark back

OK, he's had injuries and stuff this year, but still

He needs to be a starter when we go into the World Cup in a couple of months time if he wants to play....

NJ_Devil_Boy 01-02-2004 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarface
Morozov - he's done in pittsburgh...nothing more to say about this guy.

Lou should get Morozov. I know he has been MIA so far vs. NJ, but we all know he pwns Brodeur. Also can't let Morozov go to a team that like Philly & Ottawa...

Trottier 01-02-2004 06:29 PM

Only going to comment on Hamrlik. His personal numbers are down, and they were indicative of a slow start. The first 2 months of the seasonhe looked slow on the ice. Since early December, however, his game has picked up considerably. No personal statistics will tell you that. However, the team's record and one's own two eyes will.

Statistics can be very misleading, dangerous things.

Likewise with PIM. It's very common for some to look at PIM as an indication of a player's aggressiveness. Sometimes, that is the case. Often, it is not. For example, Scott Stevens played all but one regular season game over the last two seasons. Guess his PIM totals. Forty-four (44) and 41, respectively. And I don't think anyone is going to suggest that he has become meeker. He has, however, over the last decade become a much smarter player, one who picks his spots and doesn't waste energy...while all the time maintaining the reputation that he has. Haven't seen any skaters taking liberties in his skating zone. Likewise, for years Dave Manson racked up hundreds of penalty minutes. A majority were due to his fisticuffs. However, waaaay too many were a result of poor positioning, lack of foot speed and other defensive deficiencies.

To a lesser extent, same concepts apply to Hamrlik. Will never be confused with Stevens or the other big hitters on the backline, but the guy is much more aggressive than the conventional wisdom on this board (i.e., That he is an offensive defenseman. He's not. He's a complete player.)

Hamrlik remains the most physically proficient Isles' dman. Though Aucoin has modified his game significantly this season and is banging early and often.)

Grady41 01-02-2004 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier
Only going to comment on Hamrlik. His personal numbers are down, and they were indicative of a slow start. The first 2 months of the seasonhe looked slow on the ice. Since early December, however, his game has picked up considerably. No personal statistics will tell you that. However, the team's record and one's own two eyes will.

Statistics can be very misleading, dangerous things.

Likewise with PIM. It's very common for some to look at PIM as an indication of a player's aggressiveness. Sometimes, that is the case. Often, it is not. For example, Scott Stevens played all but one regular season game over the last two seasons. Guess his PIM totals. Forty-four (44) and 41, respectively. And I don't think anyone is going to suggest that he has become meeker. He has, however, over the last decade become a much smarter player, one who picks his spots and doesn't waste energy...while all the time maintaining the reputation that he has. Haven't seen any skaters taking liberties in his skating zone. Likewise, for years Dave Manson racked up hundreds of penalty minutes. A majority were due to his fisticuffs. However, waaaay too many were a result of poor positioning, lack of foot speed and other defensive deficiencies.

To a lesser extent, same concepts apply to Hamrlik. Will never be confused with Stevens or the other big hitters on the backline, but the guy is much more aggressive than the conventional wisdom on this board (i.e., That he is an offensive defenseman. He's not. He's a complete player.)

Hamrlik remains the most physically proficient Isles' dman. Though Aucoin has modified his game significantly this season and is banging early and often.)

I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression. I like Hamrlik I do think he's a complete player. I was just wondering what might have caused his poor play earlier this season. Also wondering if at the time he would have benefitted from a trade. That is the point of this thread. I am glad that he has or at least is turning his game around.

blah 01-02-2004 08:52 PM

Mario.

Burke's Evil Spirit 01-02-2004 08:55 PM

Jeff O'Neill
Eric Lindros
Vaclav Prospal

kruezer 01-02-2004 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
Mario.

Yeah, I think Mario would be better on a different team too.....the NHL Oldtimers :p :D

blah 01-02-2004 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kruezer
Yeah, I think Mario would be better on a different team too.....the NHL Oldtimers :p :D

lol he saved a franchise already, I see no reason why he couldn't lead them to a Cup if healthy.

Leaf Lander 01-03-2004 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nash61
Eric Lindros. He cant play with Mark Messier around. Like Scarface said, he needs to be a leader and he cant do that with Messier around.

real leaders should be able to melch together

messier and gretzky got along well

messier nad graves got along and lead good teams in ny

lindros should just play his game and al lthe talk of not being the leader will fade away

Ajacied 01-03-2004 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarface
Morrow - this guy can be great, but not on dallas.

Say what? Morrow's been our MVP.. pay some attention..

THE NEXT ONE #87 01-03-2004 05:57 AM

Vinny Lecevalier's numbers don't impress me this year!

Always trading rumors about him.....

What's about with the chemistry to his coach?

Why doesn't Vinny produce great numbers this year! I believe many guys expected more pts this year from him....

What's wrong with him? :bow:

Troy McClure 01-03-2004 06:32 AM

On the Stars Turgeon needs a change only because he's much better off as a center on a top line.

Sotnos 01-03-2004 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE NEXT ONE #87
Vinny Lecevalier's numbers don't impress me this year!

Always trading rumors about him.....

Not always, only when people make a big deal out of him and his coach arguing.

Quote:

What's about with the chemistry to his coach?
They don't have to love each other, put it that way. I doubt Torts is on the Xmas card list of too many of the players. :dunno:

Quote:

Why doesn't Vinny produce great numbers this year! I believe many guys expected more pts this year from him....

What's wrong with him? :bow:
If any of us knew the answer to that, we'd be rich. :joker: It's not just him, it's the whole team.