HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Anaheim Ducks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Does Burke match? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=405012)

jBuds 07-26-2007 03:49 PM

Does Burke match?

I don't think he will...but for the sake of the poll, disregard what you, personally would do, and instead think in Burke's shoes. Will he match?

Ducksforcup 07-26-2007 03:57 PM

It is so hard to predict what he will do...I really can't say.

I would say no, but I don't know what Burke would do.

Elvs 07-26-2007 03:58 PM

At least I hope he wont. And I think the only reason for it to happen would be if Burke knew that Scott will retire to 100%.

Zaddik 07-26-2007 04:03 PM

the fact that he isn't automatically calling a press conference to announce the signing should make you wonder whether he's going to take the picks instead.

treybrown 07-26-2007 04:08 PM

No he will not!

Bruke is mad right now but he's not dumb! Think about next year when Ryan and Corey need contracts.

JetsFanInVic2011 07-26-2007 04:08 PM

Keep in mind, if Niedermayer retires...that opens up alot of cap space. Still, that is a pretty steep price for a player that has only played in one full season.

treybrown 07-26-2007 04:09 PM

Plus I think Scotty will finish out his contract.

I SAID IT, HE'S COMING BACK!!!!

pwallll 07-26-2007 04:31 PM

I doubt he matches. But its Brian burke and you just never know..

wildcat48 07-26-2007 04:36 PM

Burke is going to match, if he already hasn't

Laraque4PM* 07-26-2007 04:42 PM

If Burke does sign, will it bring stress to Niedermeyers retirement decision? Remember retaining Pennner will put the Dinks over the cap. I hope that Nieds doesnt decide to retire, but I believe this could impact his decision. Anyone else agree with this?

Sojourn 07-26-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laraque4PM (Post 10029100)
If Burke does sign, will it bring stress to Niedermeyers retirement decision? Remember retaining Pennner will put the Dinks over the cap. I hope that Nieds doesnt decide to retire, but I believe this could impact his decision. Anyone else agree with this?

No. Unless Burke already knows what Niedermayer is planning to do, I don't see this as factoring in.

Tap on the Ankle 07-26-2007 04:50 PM

A (high) 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, is worth not having to pay Penner $4m. Penner is good, but he's just not worth that kind of cap space to a contender. He was a great asset when his salary was < $1m. The most successful teams in the new NHL will be the ones who can consistantly fill out their roster with good young players on entry-level deals, because it allows the team some cap freedom to get themselves some Niedermayers and Selannes. "Trading" Penner for the picks will help Anaheim keep that cycle going. If I'm Burke I take these picks and run.

Ducks__Halos 07-26-2007 04:51 PM

I hope he doesn't but I have a feeling he will.

ktulu98 07-26-2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildcat48 (Post 10029009)
Burke is going to match, if he already hasn't

hi WC,some background info or just yout thoughts?

wildcat48 07-26-2007 05:04 PM

(As Posted on AD)

This is really fluid right now.....I've spoke to several sources and this is the information that I am getting.

I'm hearing that the Ducks might sign Penner and then package him with Bryzgalov, sending him to another team.

I've also heard that Burke hasn't signed Penner yet and they are really trying see if it would really fit within their cap - Read Between the Lines - CALLING SCOTT NIEDERMAYER.

Burke is also working on trying to sign a couple other fringe depth players and if he does, he may let Penner walk knowing that if he signs Penner to that deal, he will have to play at least the same if not more to Getzlaf and Perry.

I'm also stilling here that Burke matched the offer right away and as we speak is chewing the ass of GB and KL out right now.

Either way this ends Burke isn't going to win....he's only trying to maintain damage control.

Ziggy Stardust 07-26-2007 05:12 PM

Penner can't be dealt until next year. There is a one year restriction that does not permit for a RFA to be dealt after a team has matched a qualifying offer.

AVE MAN 07-26-2007 05:12 PM

Eklund is reporting Burke is going to match...for whatever thats worth!

Zymergist 07-26-2007 05:24 PM

I don't think he should match.

I like Penner but he seems very hot and cold to me. Some games he just dominates the front of the net and the corners. Other games he looks lost and is like a pylon. Either way there is no way he is worth $4.3M/yr to the ducks.

Without Penner, the Ducks are a contender for at least the next few years and will have lots of picks from a good draft year to keep going after that. With Penner they will need to shed something valuable this year if not next year to keep more important people like Getz, Perry, Kunitz, and possibly Hiller.

MOENing 07-26-2007 05:39 PM

I don't think he should

rt 07-26-2007 05:40 PM

I can see him matching just to make a statement. If every offer sheet gets matched, we won't see offer sheets too often.

Ducks__Halos 07-26-2007 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zymergist (Post 10029638)
I don't think he should match.

I like Penner but he seems very hot and cold to me. Some games he just dominates the front of the net and the corners. Other games he looks lost and is like a pylon. Either way there is no way he is worth $4.3M/yr to the ducks.

Yes, he is definitely inconsistent and has been in Carlyle's doghouse a number of times. He was one of the few frustrating players on last season's team since he doesn't often use his size. I remember several fans saying how it was amazing how a 6'4'' 245 pound forward can simply disappear some games. Then, like you said, he sometimes shows flashes of dominance--they just don't last very long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 10029838)
I can see him matching just to make a statement. If every offer sheet gets matched, we won't see offer sheets too often.

That's what I fear. I hope he takes the route of not allowing Lowe to force him to overpay for Penner, but you never know what's going through his mind.

Cyclops II* 07-26-2007 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 10029838)

If a team has a lot of good RFA's in a given year they may not be able to match every offer and stay under the cap. For example, half the Sharks are FA next year. If DW doesn't get a lot of them signed the Sharks are ripe for an attack by an opposing GM.

rt 07-26-2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks__Halos (Post 10029985)
Then, like you said, he sometimes shows flashes of dominance--they just don't last very long.

I know of eight games, for certain, in which he showed that dominance you speak of. :cry:

Zymergist 07-26-2007 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks__Halos (Post 10029985)
That's what I fear. I hope he takes the route of not allowing Lowe to force him to overpay for Penner, but you never know what's going through his mind.

I am not sure he really can keep him. It is one thing to break the owners cap and the league cap to keep Scotty and Teemu, it is another to do that to keep Penner. Even if Burke wants to match, I am not sure his boss will let him.

X-SHARKIE 07-26-2007 06:06 PM

Penner is also a playoff warrior.

Burke has to stand his ground and match.