HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Philly got Comrie for a song (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=40555)

Grimrock Alberta 01-02-2004 09:36 PM

Philly got Comrie for a song

Just incase you Flyers fans haven't noticed Mike Comrie is an excellent hockey player. Us here in Edmonton miss the little *******.(well his playing skills anyway) He will be a 30 goal man for the remainder of his career. I don't want to make excusses on how come the oilers are doing so bad this year but when you take a quality player like Comrie out of the lineup like that your team is gonna hurt. Not just him but our other 60 point centre Todd Marchant too. Anyway you guys should consider yourselves grateful you got Comrie for only prospects!

windowlicker 01-02-2004 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Take off Hose Head
Just incase you Flyers fans haven't noticed Mike Comrie is an excellent hockey player. Us here in Edmonton miss the little *******.(well his playing skills anyway) He will be a 30 goal man for the remainder of his career. I don't want to make excusses on how come the oilers are doing so bad this year but when you take a quality player like Comrie out of the lineup like that your team is gonna hurt. Not just him but our other 60 point centre Todd Marchant too. Anyway you guys should consider yourselves grateful you got Comrie for only prospects!

Hey, no one ever disputed that the guy had talent. Even real A-holes make great athletes. :)

blah 01-02-2004 09:42 PM

Tru, I hope Woywitka develops fast, I want to see what he has to offer.

bobbyboucher24 01-03-2004 03:37 AM

I think the trade was fair for both parties. I know after the trade was made, some people were saying that the Flyers gave up too much, but I thought it was fair. I expected Comrie to start banging in some goals, but I also expect Woywitka to play by the end of this year or early next year and be real solid, but not flashy. The extra picks make it worth it. If Comrie keeps playing like he is, you could say Philly got him cheap, so I'm very satisfied with the trade.

blah 01-03-2004 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyboucher24
I think the trade was fair for both parties. I know after the trade was made, some people were saying that the Flyers gave up too much, but I thought it was fair. I expected Comrie to start banging in some goals, but I also expect Woywitka to play by the end of this year or early next year and be real solid, but not flashy. The extra picks make it worth it. If Comrie keeps playing like he is, you could say Philly got him cheap, so I'm very satisfied with the trade.

As a Flyers fan I thought they gave up too much. After seeing the ANA offer that was pretty much agreed to I changed my tune. There's a lot of season left and I'm not sold on 4 games but Comrie has been incredible thus far.

The Flash 01-03-2004 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Take off Hose Head

I guess so... But then again, if Lowe wanted roster players (ie. Handzus), Comrie would still be on the block.

Honestly, I thought that the Oilers got fair market value for Comrie. B/c while Comrie is a good player, his ceiling, imo, is as a 2nd line center. I doubt that he will be a 1st liner (elite). Not on a contending team, that is.

"Woy" will be a solid 2nd/3rd dman. Now, its up to Lowe to turn those picks into something worthwhile. However, we need at least 5 years to be able to look at this trade in hindsight.

Unless of course the Flyers win it all this year!!!!!!!!!! :handclap:

stanley 01-03-2004 06:21 AM

Let's pull back on that throttle a little, folks.

He's scored two goal-mouth "look-what-I-found" goals and one bounced off his leg - not exactly highlight reel tallies. That being written, I fully believe a goal is a goal is a goal, and he's looked really good in the few games he's played so far. One has to be in a position to score goals in order to score goals, and he is just kind of player they could use.

blah,
The Anaheim offer was for all intents and purposes refused by Kevin Lowe (i.e., give me $2.5M, Mike, and you will given this bus ticket), so it's not accurate to use that as a comparison.

messy_eh 01-03-2004 06:48 AM

I think it was a good trade for both teams, philly has a very impressive array of young players and Comrie, Williams and Gagne has the potential to be a very good line for years to come. But I think Woywitka is going to be an excellant d-man in a few years once he matures and Pitkkannen and Woywitka would to have made an impressive pairing in 3-4 years. As far as the deal goes Edmonton i think got the best deal they could get. It doesn't help them now but it does address thier long term needs, Some of the best oilers prospects are forwards and to get a alberta born Blue chip d-man will help them long term in the post CBA nhl. Philly is making a run now and the deal they made helps them both now and in the future. Did philly overpay time will tell but as much as people knock clarke he has done an excellant job of building a winner without sacraficing the future, now if he would just get that over the top Goalie for once he might finally give the fans what they want ......the cup.

stanley 01-03-2004 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck Highlander
...now if he would just get that over the top Goalie for once he might finally give the fans what they want ......the cup.

I'd just like to request that any suggestions for a goaltender include not only considerations for an upgrade but also the cost to get one. I can't think of one situation that would meet both criteria. I think the Flyers are so far down the line of organizations that actually would make a trade for a goaltender that we'd need SCUBA gear to get there. It's not that I'm utterly married to the Esche-Hackett tandem, but that the combination of Hackett's no-trade clause, unwillingness to move anything off their current roster, financial pitfalls associated with the upcoming CBA expiration, and - most importantly - the lack of significantly better goaltenders available (like Clarke said, Martin Brodeur is not available) makes Esche their best option. It's a very acceptable option at that. Since the guy has been in Philadelphia, he's been great statistically and tangibly whenever he's been in a regular rotation (he struggled when Cechmanek was given the lion's share of the work last year). Admittedly, it's a gamble, but I think much less than making a convoluted trade.

So you know, Highlander, the persistence of the goaltender topic on the boards - and not your post - is an exposed nerve with me, for reasons listed above. Also, I left your other stuff out, although I thought it was well articulated and thorough. I wish I had written it.

FlyersGuy69 01-03-2004 01:39 PM

edmonton wanted young players that were already playing in the NHL. the Flyers didn't want to give up anybody off their roster for good reason. so the Flyers were going to have to overpay a little if they were just trading prospect for Comrie, which they did, because they are never guaranteed.

we all think that Woywika will be a solid top 3 or 4 defensemen but you don't know for sure as goes for the #1 pick. in the end, I think that Edmonton will be fine with Woywitka and whatever they do with the #1.