HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Switching from Leclair curve, need advice (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=405584)

Devs 07-28-2007 12:51 PM

Switching from Leclair curve, need advice
 
I've been using a Sher-Wood 5030 with a Leclair curve for the past 5 or 6 years, but I am looking to move to a composite stick and Sher-Wood doesn't make one with the Leclair or PP10 curve. I've needed to use this curve because it was the only one I could find at the time with a 4.5 lie, after Christian went backrupt a few years ago. I need the 4.5 lie to ensure that when I take a slapshot, I strike the ice with the middle of my blade. When I was using higher lie sticks, I would strike the ice with the bottom of my heel, slicing at the puck and wearing the blade down.

I've been looking around, and so far the best match I've found is from Warrior, with a Weight curve. I'm stalling on buying it right now since I'm used to buying 6 sticks for under a hundred dollars, and the last thing I want to do is splurge over a hundred dollars on a stick that I can't use or am not comfortable with.

Any advice or experience when using Warrior or comparable sticks would be very helpful, thank you.

Backstrom #19 07-28-2007 01:33 PM

Fine a lie of 5, or the closest to that.

Devs 07-28-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 (Post 10045961)
Fine a lie of 5, or the closest to that.

Tried them, but a 4.5 lie still gives me better results. The reason why I'm leaning towards a Weight curve is because its also a 4.5 lie. There's also a 4 lie Symth, and a 4 lie Federov.

The Leclair has a mid curve, moderate depth, and a slightly open face, while the Weight has a heel curve, moderate depth, and an open face. What are the practical differences I should expect in my wrist shot, slap shot, and stick handling?

I'm also looking at some 'Pro Stock' sticks. Other than not having a warrenty, what makes them different? Thanks again for any help

Backstrom #19 07-28-2007 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devs (Post 10046017)
Tried them, but a 4.5 lie still gives me better results. The reason why I'm leaning towards a Weight curve is because its also a 4.5 lie. There's also a 4 lie Symth, and a 4 lie Federov.

The Leclair has a mid curve, moderate depth, and a slightly open face, while the Weight has a heel curve, moderate depth, and an open face. What are the practical differences I should expect in my wrist shot, slap shot, and stick handling?

I'm also looking at some 'Pro Stock' sticks. Other than not having a warrenty, what makes them different? Thanks again for any help



I use a heel curve and love it, it's good for wrist shots from far away, and it good on the backhand, the open face makes it where you can lift the puck. You would just have to get used to a heel curve, it doesn't take that long.

bleedgreen 07-28-2007 03:11 PM

warrior's 4 lie is basically sherwoods 5 lie. warrior lies seem to be the old school sherwood lies +1. they dont match up with eastons lies at all. an easton 5 would be almost high as a sherwood 5.5 (coffey). your best bet for lie would be the smyth/federov/draper - the last two come in multiple lies including the 4. I think the draper is closest to the leclair in rocker, the smyth is a real nice toe curve. they both to me seem like more dramatic versions of the leclair, with the federov being straighter like the leclair. the weight will be the same lie as a recchi or coffey. the draper to me seems to have the closest overall profile to the leclair, but it is a pretty dramatic curve overall. i do find that if you get the right lie its easier to adapt to the pattern.

XweekendwarriorX 07-28-2007 03:21 PM

I use to use only sticks with heel curves but i bought a bauer pro stock and switched to a toe curve and i gotta say it was great.the slap shot i get off of it from the point is awesome and if i get a bad pass i can make a quick move off the toe of my stick and fire a nice wrist shot on net and a nice pass with to with that kind of curve. this is the first pro stock stich i got but you might also wanna look at Nike/Bauer and custom build your stick. its going to cost around $190 but you pick your color shaft 4 types of grip to pick from and over 30 different blade and curve types all with great description on what they are used for.

Devs 07-28-2007 04:06 PM

Is that true? Does Warrior use different a different lie than everyone else? Like I've said, the most important thing for me is the 4.5 lie, I can adapt to whatever the curve is.

Regarding a custom stick, the only problem I've encountered wth custom building my stick with Bauer is that the lowest lie that they have is off their Jokinen and Hossa curves, both 5 lies.

Also, I was on the phone with hockeymonkey's store, and the conversation went something like this:

"What's the difference between pro stock and one I would buy from any pro shop?"
"The pro stock doesn't have a warrenty"
"So why would I ever buy one?"

"Uhh..."

Does anyone here know the differences?

greech 07-28-2007 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devs (Post 10046983)
Is that true? Does Warrior use different a different lie than everyone else? Like I've said, the most important thing for me is the 4.5 lie, I can adapt to whatever the curve is.

Regarding a custom stick, the only problem I've encountered wth custom building my stick with Bauer is that the lowest lie that they have is off their Jokinen and Hossa curves, both 5 lies.

Also, I was on the phone with hockeymonkey's store, and the conversation went something like this:

"What's the difference between pro stock and one I would buy from any pro shop?"
"The pro stock doesn't have a warrenty"
"So why would I ever buy one?"

"Uhh..."

Does anyone here know the differences?

Made to different specifications. Most pro stocks have minor differences to cater to the individual player's needs. The fact they don't have a warranty shouldn't be a deterrant, they are cheaper because of that and how many of us break sticks within 30 days?

XweekendwarriorX 07-29-2007 12:52 PM

Yeah that always made me not wanna buy one but i thought about it and was like ive had 4 composite sticks none broke within 30 days so i went with a pro stock and it was the best stick ive had. i recommend you look at a pro stock sticks curve first before the name. a few people i play with picked out sticks by name and dont like the way the curve is and it sits on the bench 190 bucks for a bench stick would suck.

Devs 07-31-2007 06:20 PM

I've settled on using the Weight curve, made by Warrior. One last question remains: Do I get a one-piece, or do I get a blade and a composite shaft? I don't know the differences between the two, so any help is greatly appriciated.

TBLfan 07-31-2007 11:39 PM

get the two piece, if you have an issue with the blade it's a lot cheaper to replace a blade than a whole stick.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.