HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Smelly Pads (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=405808)

drcameraman 07-29-2007 12:57 PM

Smelly Pads
 
What can be used to get rid of the smell? Can they be put in the washing machine. I was going to use fabreeze from them.

Sensfanman 07-29-2007 01:52 PM

Fabreeze tends to mix with the smell and make a very weird super funk. I'd advise against it. You can try washing them or soaking them in a tub of water and leaving them outside for a day or two to dry. If the water turns brown, you did the right thing.

TaiMaiShu 07-29-2007 02:27 PM

Agreed. No febreeze. The best thing to do is let it sit outside for a couple of days. Takes a LOT of that smell away. Then wash what you want.

drcameraman 07-29-2007 02:38 PM

How do you reccomend washing it in the washing machine?

TaiMaiShu 07-29-2007 02:40 PM

I wouldn't wash any plastic. The smelliest thing I have are my knee pads where the soft padding actually comes out. Maybe hand washing is the best way to go.

Backstrom #19 07-29-2007 02:52 PM

I made the mistake of spraying colonge(sp) in my gloves and it smells like **** now. I just deal with the smell, try and air them out.

stick9 07-29-2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcameraman (Post 10052925)
How do you reccomend washing it in the washing machine?

If you try this (and yes it's been done before), do NOT use hot water. Use the cold water setting and gentle cycle.

Best thing I have found has been washing them in the tub, then drying them outdoors. Airing your gear out after use goes a long way to keeping it funk free.

sc37 07-29-2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stick9 (Post 10053303)
If you try this (and yes it's been done before), do NOT use hot water. Use the cold water setting and gentle cycle.

Best thing I have found has been washing them in the tub, then drying them outdoors. Airing your gear out after use goes a long way to keeping it funk free.

Tub is the best unless you have a non-top-loading washer. Or see if your local rink or LHS has an Sani Sport machine made for cleaing gear.

Some people say the dishwasher is good to as long as you don't use the heated drying.

Z4dfence 07-29-2007 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc37 (Post 10053542)
Tub is the best unless you have a non-top-loading washer. Or see if your local rink or LHS has an Sani Sport machine made for cleaing gear.

Some people say the dishwasher is good to as long as you don't use the heated drying.

Tub wash works really well...cool water, antibacterial detergent. Laundromat with front loader also works well on cold/cold cycle.

Line dry only (rigging a line in garage worked well for our gear, 3 players in family is a lot of gear) after each game put gear on line overnight before storing back in bag helps keep down smell and bacteria between washings.

Fabreeze only works on mostly clean gear... I have used it in washer when washing the gear bag itself (minimal effect for the price).

sharkticon 07-29-2007 07:25 PM

I had this problem and here is what I did.

courtesy of http://www.donerightsports.com

"Can you wash hockey equipment?
Most hockey equipment can be laundered. Protective equipment such as shoulder pads, shin guards, pants, gloves, catcher, blocker, throat guard etc. can be washed in an industrial washing machine like what you would find in a Laundromat. These washers are most often upright, and do not have agitators in the center of the barrel. Check the items for repairs before you launder them. It is best to repair them first to prevent more damage. Use a laundry soap such as Tide or Sunlight for items without leather, or products made of leather, use Murphy's Oil Soap. Use one cup of soap, as well as one cup of household ammonia or Dettol to remove the body odor. Always use cold water. Never subject your equipment to heat such as sunlight, hot air registers, etc. It is harmful to the new synthetic materials, as well as leather and causes the materials to become hard. Never use bleach. Let your equipment air dry somewhere cool, such as your basement. A fan helps to dry the equipment faster. Expect 24-48 hours to dry. Items such as hockey skates and helmets that can not go in a washing machine can be washed in a bathtub or basin. If washing in your bathtub, lay down an old towel to prevent scratching. Fill hockey skates with cold water, two tablespoons of household ammonia or Dettol, and two tablespoons of laundry detergent. Use a new toilet bowl brush to scrub the inside of the skates, drain and let dry the same as described above. Sprinkle soap inside the helmet, add cold water, and scrub with a new toilet bowl brush. Rinse and let dry."

Works like a charm! Your gear will smell brand new again... seriously.

I did this to my gear and whenever i buy second hand gear.

If you do put it outside, keep it out of direct sunlight as it will destroy elastic.

I never tried the Murphy's oil soap as I could not find any. I used liquid detergent on my leather gloves and my goalie gloves and they are fine. I bet the Murphy's just conditions the leather better, but normal soap will not harm the leather.

Totally forgot about this!

After the gear dried I scotch-guarded most of it. This prevents a lot of the sewat from soaking into it, which in turn, limits the bacteria which causes the smell in the first place.

xeric716x 07-29-2007 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodq (Post 10054675)
Items such as hockey skates and helmets that can not go in a washing machine can be washed in a bathtub or basin. If washing in your bathtub, lay down an old towel to prevent scratching. Fill hockey skates with cold water, two tablespoons of household ammonia or Dettol, and two tablespoons of laundry detergent. Use a new toilet bowl brush to scrub the inside of the skates, drain and let dry the same as described above.

has anyone ever done this with skates? does it work? any other ideas/suggestions?

sharkticon 07-29-2007 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slava (Post 10054782)
has anyone ever done this with skates? does it work? any other ideas/suggestions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodq (Post 10054675)
I did this to my gear and whenever i buy second hand gear.

Yes, yes, and no.

xeric716x 07-29-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodq (Post 10054828)
Yes, yes, and no.


what was the dry time on the skates? i will be placing mine in front of a fan.

sc37 07-29-2007 08:48 PM

Don't think it's the greatest idea to do it with skates unless you find a professional cleaning machine like a Sani Sport. Water in a skate is bad...you really need to wear socks and help keep them a bit cleaner cause of that.

Also for gloves....don't wash them normally or the palms get dry. Find some shaving cream and use that on the inside.

xeric716x 07-29-2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc37 (Post 10055256)
Don't think it's the greatest idea to do it with skates unless you find a professional cleaning machine like a Sani Sport. Water in a skate is bad...you really need to wear socks and help keep them a bit cleaner cause of that.

Also for gloves....don't wash them normally or the palms get dry. Find some shaving cream and use that on the inside.


thanks

isles20* 07-29-2007 09:08 PM

You cant even open my bag without it stinking the whole house. Thats why i keep it outside now and febreze doesnt help.

sharkticon 07-29-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slava (Post 10054840)
what was the dry time on the skates? i will be placing mine in front of a fan.

Depending on the strength of the fan, 1-2 days.

sharkticon 07-29-2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc37 (Post 10055256)
Don't think it's the greatest idea to do it with skates unless you find a professional cleaning machine like a Sani Sport. Water in a skate is bad...you really need to wear socks and help keep them a bit cleaner cause of that.

Also for gloves....don't wash them normally or the palms get dry. Find some shaving cream and use that on the inside.

I've done what I said above, and my gear is fine.

Water in a skate is bad if not dried out properly. With a fan on it for a day or two it'll be fine.

My gloves felt better after washing, mostly because that crusty feeling (caused by salty sweat) is gone.

sc37 07-29-2007 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodq (Post 10055396)
I've done what I said above, and my gear is fine.

Water in a skate is bad if not dried out properly. With a fan on it for a day or two it'll be fine.

My gloves felt better after washing, mostly because that crusty feeling (caused by salty sweat) is gone.

Well your 1-2 day drying time is an indicator of something....meaning water is trapped in the layers of your skate. Plus, you gotta take account of water in places you can't get to like your holders.

If you really wanted a clean skate, shaving cream might be a possibility too...and some ppl say spray scented alcohol from the drug store works. But alcohol dissolves stuff, so might not be the best idea either.

xeric716x 07-29-2007 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc37 (Post 10055588)
Well your 1-2 day drying time is an indicator of something....meaning water is trapped in the layers of your skate. Plus, you gotta take account of water in places you can't get to like your holders.

If you really wanted a clean skate, shaving cream might be a possibility too...and some ppl say spray scented alcohol from the drug store works. But alcohol dissolves stuff, so might not be the best idea either.


what does shaving cream do? how does that work?

sc37 07-29-2007 10:03 PM

You never used shaving cream in class during elementary school to clean your desk? Just rub it in and it cleans/freshens. And supposedly the shaving cream with lanolin has antibacterial properties.


But still, probably the best way to do that is to get it professionally done withthe Sani Sport ( http://www.dupliskate.com/sanisport-machines.html ). It's waterless which is why I kinda mention it. Or some how use an Ozone machine kinda like the Shock Doctor blower cept more powerful.

XweekendwarriorX 07-29-2007 10:41 PM

My friend would use the shaving cream to help break in new skates when they were so hard to break in it took about 2 weeks compared to like 1-2 days pending on the time you have them.

gamera 07-29-2007 11:22 PM

i have been spraying my gear with febreeze and letting it air dry for the past few months and it isn't *too* terribly stinky, but i don't really think the febreeze does anything but mask the smell....my gloves smell like stinky gloves with febreeze overtones, for example LOL

tonight, one of my teammates told me that the chemicals in febreeze will cause your pads to harden and crack so i am not going to use it anymore.

the shaving cream thing sounds good. i'll give that a try. thx guys

nyrmetros 07-29-2007 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isles20 (Post 10055375)
You cant even open my bag without it stinking the whole house. Thats why i keep it outside now and febreze doesnt help.

I have the same problem here. My hockey equipment and bad just STINKS. my car stinks. my friend puked after getting into my car the other day. Febreeze made thigns worse! my equipment is now banned from the house. i don't wanna keep that outside. Any ideas or suggestions? Anything to unsmell my car now? lol.

Backstrom #19 07-30-2007 07:51 AM

Something that works for your gloves and skates is the dryer things(the things you put in the dryer) I don't know what they are called but you put them in the dryer to make the stuff smell good. Just put some of those in your skates and gloves.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.