HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Captains and Assistants? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=40611)

Gagne2433 01-03-2004 06:28 AM

Captains and Assistants?

With Primeau out, I'm assuming Recchi will take over the captaincy for the next few weeks.

Who will pick up the extra assistancy or better yet, if not Recchi, then who?

Plus, who would your captain and assistants be if you were the coach?

stanley 01-03-2004 06:35 AM

I don't think they'll give anybody the 'C.' I think they might hand out another assistant captaincy (it would give them another player who could legally talk to the referees), but I'll be surprised if they hand over the 'C' even temporarily. If he were out for a year or so, perhaps, but he's still on the roster.

Anywho, regarding your second question, I don't think they could have a better captain than Primeau. Obviously, I'm not in the dressing room, so knowing individual personalities isn't a foregone conclusion.

How about Kim Johnsson? He sure has taken on the yeoman's share of the work as his time with the Flyers has progressed.

Roenick should never be given a letter because he doesn't need one. It's like they have an extra leader with him.

Dizzy 01-03-2004 07:08 AM

I know a lot of teams don't give someone else the C when the captain is injured, but the Flyers used to give Brindy the C when Lindros was hurt. Was there a reason why they did that?

stanley 01-03-2004 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piggy2
I know a lot of teams don't give someone else the C when the captain is injured, but the Flyers used to give Brindy the C when Lindros was hurt. Was there a reason why they did that?

Boy, is that a loaded question.

GoneFullHextall 01-03-2004 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley
Boy, is that a loaded question.

Brindy should have allways been the captian over Lindros. And it isnt even close.
But being that both players are not even here anymore its pretty much a moot point.

Brad* 01-03-2004 11:16 AM

I'd give another 'A' to Desjardins while Primeau is out.

And I agree with Stanley, Primeau looks like a good captain to me as well.

IronMarshal 01-03-2004 12:18 PM

FYI,
Actually the "A" doesn't stand for "assistant" it stands for "alternate."

Not that it matters. But, an assistant would be someone who helps the Captain. An alternate replaces the Captain when he is not available (on the ice).

Again this is picky, but I guess I'm in a picky mood. Sorry :dunno:

Gagne2433 01-03-2004 07:37 PM

I actually knew it was alternate....

Good call Iron!;)

Overtime 01-03-2004 08:26 PM

Some coaches make a player a captain when the captian is out and some coaches just give another A. Hitchcock seems to just give another A. It doesn't really matter how it is done. There is a heirarchy amongst the captains. Leclair is pretty much a captain (A) in name only. You never see him really get involved in talking to the refs. Its always Primeau or Recchi. Desjardins wore the A tonight in Primeau's absence. I didn't look, but I'm assuming Recchi's A didn't change to a C. He'd be the acting captain though.

stanley 01-04-2004 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMarshal
FYI,
Actually the "A" doesn't stand for "assistant" it stands for "alternate."

He's right. I suppose you could say we were "schooled" by Marshall. A sun will shine, a dog will bark, a tree will - well, whatever trees do, and a teacher will teach. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
Brindy should have allways been the captian over Lindros. And it isnt even close.

I concur, but I don't think it's anybody's fault (not that you do). In hindsight, I think that teams should conduct personality profiles to determine who would make the best captains. For some reason, I think many people have grown up equating on-ice ability and leadership, when I think the two are not necessarily mutally inclusive.

Eric was obviously talented on the ice, but the part of his personality we got to view as spectators seemed to indicate that he was much more comfortable being one of the guys than the captain. Giving Lindros a letter, and the most important one at that, was a distraction to both him and the team. Not only was it done when he was in his early twenties (22?), but it was done by ripping it off Kevin Dineen's sweater. Eek! Dineen, for those of you that don't remember, is every bit the personality of Brind'Amour and was an experienced captain.

Again, I have the luxury of hindsight, and we can all rest easy in their current choice.