HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rate the Ranger Offseason (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=406649)

FutureGM97 08-01-2007 01:45 PM

Rate the Ranger Offseason

Lets assume the Rangers are done with getting players from other teams. What do you think of the New York Rangers offseason as a whole? Players who came, went, resigned, the cap situation are to all be taken into account. Lets hear it Rangers Nation!

Nich 08-01-2007 01:46 PM

B+

would have been a A if we could have moved malik for a better d man

nyr2k2 08-01-2007 01:47 PM

A-.

We made ourselves legitimate contenders.

A defensive upgrade would have been nice.

EDIT: In the poll, I voted 8/9.

NYR Lunchbox 08-01-2007 01:48 PM

minus slates being an a-hole during averys arb. i give him 2 thumbs up, he wants a cup before jagr is gone and i think hes made major improvement in trying 2 get the blueshirts there

SingnBluesOnBroadway 08-01-2007 01:49 PM

B+

Upgraded the #1 center position.

Got the second line center this team needed.

Left room open for kids to earn spots in camp

swammerhead 08-01-2007 01:51 PM

A-

Just getting Gomez & Drury together was completely amazing & nobody could have imagined that. We resigned key player such as Lundy, Shanny & Avery. But, since we didn't move mailk or get a top D-man, it wasn't a perfect off-season, but pretty close to it.

Bluenote13 08-01-2007 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 10078363)
B+

Upgraded the #1 center position.

Got the second line center this team needed.

Left room open for kids to earn spots in camp

B+

Everything you said plus they resigned everyone we needed and got a decent draft pick in the Cullen deal.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 08-01-2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 10078419)
B+

Everything you said plus they resigned everyone we needed and got a decent draft pick in the Cullen deal.

And Cherepanov.

HockeyBasedNYC 08-01-2007 01:55 PM

I think i would rate it a B+ for offseason moves and non-moves -

But i have to put picking Cherapanov at #17 (and getting a decent goalie prospect and some forwards - a nice draft overall) in the offseason also, so with that it moves to an A-

SPG 08-01-2007 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 10078419)
B+

what he said...

voted 8-9

vipernsx 08-01-2007 01:59 PM

Almost a 10.

Solidified the center position for years to come. Filled the ranks with talented prospects, including drafting superbly. Resigned all the necessary players while remaining below the cap. They kept enough room to play some of the kids. They've improved the team in every position except defense, specifically the #1 D-Line. Outside that, I think this is the best Ranger's offseason I've ever witnessed.

Realisticially, you can't do everything so a 10 is probably not possible.

Forgot to add----Factor in the Islanders and Devils had HORRIBLE offseasons, makes it sweeter for us.

Carlos Ranger 08-01-2007 02:05 PM

I don't see how anyone can not saying 10, or at least 9.5.

First Cherepanov, then Drury, then Gomez, then getting Prucha, Shanny, Lundqvist, Hossa, and Avery all locked up.. moving a large contract in Cullen whose replaceable..

Couldn't ask for a better summer, and it's not over yet, we can still upgrade the D.

Lion Hound 08-01-2007 02:11 PM

Personally I think they had thioer best off-season in the past ten years.

TheSchwab 08-01-2007 02:12 PM

A-

I'm not worried about the D situation. Im confident in Mara and Girardi to step up. But if their is problems, a trade mid-season could fix that.

nyr2k2 08-01-2007 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by God Is Avery (Post 10078543)
I don't see how anyone can not saying 10, or at least 9.5.

First Cherepanov, then Drury, then Gomez, then getting Prucha, Shanny, Lundqvist, Hossa, and Avery all locked up.. moving a large contract in Cullen whose replaceable..

Couldn't ask for a better summer, and it's not over yet, we can still upgrade the D.

If we do upgrade the D then I'll amend my vote to a 10.

LOL at Elias026, coming over and voting our offseason a 1. What the hell does that make the Debbies offseason, if ours was a 1?

RangersMoogle 08-01-2007 02:19 PM

I'd give it a B-. Right now, the present looks good, but the next three, four years are going to be intereting. Let's hope the cap shoots up so things don't look as potentially ominous.

EventHorizon 08-01-2007 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 10078605)
If we do upgrade the D then I'll amend my vote to a 10.

LOL at Elias026, coming over and voting our offseason a 1. What the hell does that make the Debbies offseason, if ours was a 1?

Very mature of him.

Is there any way to erase that vote so we can have an idea of what Ranger fans think of the off season?

Pizza 08-01-2007 02:22 PM

A better off season I can't remember. The Rangers have upgraded very nicely and have a legit chance at the cup.

The key factor here is Sather and his ego. The drive to build his legacy and the Rangers into a Cup winner and dynasty is the fuel behind all of this.

My guess is that the Rangers could be even deeper by playoff time.
So I think he's far from done, but the next move probably comes during the season.

pld459666 08-01-2007 02:28 PM

No one and nothing is perfect so a 10 is out.

That said, this was as good a post season as one could have hoped for or expected. We addressed out 1st and 2nd line center issues. We re-signed the remaining players that needed re-signing, got our goalie inked for another year.

Plus Cherry dropping to #17 was HUGE

Hopefully these improvements show up out on the ice.

Inferno 08-01-2007 02:29 PM

in terms of talent we upgraded big time. in terms of payroll and flexibility we seriously hindered the growth of this franchise. what do you call that? a win? a lose?

hard to say.

Fletch 08-01-2007 02:32 PM

They did what they can do...

wasn't ecstatic about Shanny's contract and potentially borrowing from next season, but liked both Drury and Gomez while dumping Cullen. Didn't like Lundqvist not being signed up to something longer term, and in the end, not too upset they didn't get a defenseman, but would not have minded it. Drury and Gomez make it a B+ for me.

nyrcallahan24 08-01-2007 02:44 PM

A or A+

i dont like some of the things slats said to avery, but i guess he was trying to get the lowest price available. as much as i love them, i think malik and mara need to go. We have so many younger players who are waiting to play in the NHL.

Inferno 08-01-2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 10078794)
wasn't ecstatic about Shanny's contract and potentially borrowing from next season, but liked both Drury and Gomez while dumping Cullen. Didn't like Lundqvist not being signed up to something longer term, and in the end, not too upset they didn't get a defenseman, but would not have minded it. Drury and Gomez make it a B+ for me.

trading cullen though made the hit on next year minor. i calculated it, assuming hutchinson and strudwick are gone, and staal and dubinsky make the team, at ~500k on the books for next year. relatively minor.

pld459666 08-01-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inferno272 (Post 10078756)
in terms of talent we upgraded big time. in terms of payroll and flexibility we seriously hindered the growth of this franchise. what do you call that? a win? a lose?

hard to say.

With the size of some of the contracts coming off the books over the next 2-3 years, the financial aspect of this franchise has not been limited at all.

Shanny won't be back next year, likely neither will Straka so that's between 5-8 million off the numbers, then add Mara's 3 and we're looking at 8-11 million gone next year

This team is going to have the flexibility needed to stay very very competitive for years to come.

Gunnar Stahl 30 08-01-2007 02:52 PM

Next poll on teh Rangers board:

Who is your favorite NHL Team?

Right Abev?;)