HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   your workout (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=407671)

HABSMANIA21* 08-04-2007 08:34 PM

your workout

just list your workout. i myself do everything off niketraining.ca and hit the ice about 3 times a week,do some other stuff too.

RangersMoogle 08-04-2007 08:37 PM

I rotate an upper body and lower body set Mon Weds and Fri, upper body is shoulder press, behind neck press, bench press, curl, and weighted sit ups. Lower body day is squats, deadlifts, calf raise, barbell rows, and weighted sit ups. I do warm up sets, then do 90% of my one rep max one from fail. High intensity, low volume, productive lifts. Works wonders.

I go sled dragging, and sledge tire training (hitting a tire with a sledgehammer) on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Could do more cardio, but I get by.

FLYLine27 08-05-2007 12:00 AM

I rotate Chest, Bi's and Tri's/Shoulders every day while doing Abs 3 days a week, usually I try to work out 6 days a week.

I have 1-2 games a week in the 2 adult leagues I play in so that's when I get my skating in.

I try to run 2-3 days a week for about 2 miles each time (yea i hate running so running 15-20 min is enough for me).

The reason for the working out isn't primarily for hockey anymore but for my job, I never worked out as much when I was in HS or college.

It sucks though, im 5'9 and only 160 pounds, since i moved out of my parents house a year ago i've lost weight (from 166) even though i work out a lot more. Probably since I eat half as much since I can't cook for crap haha. I want to add muscle weight but I don't want to pig out either to get fat. Arghhhh

vincetheprince 08-05-2007 12:15 AM

I just changed my workout program a few days ago with a personal trainer. Its pretty good but too complicated to list since i dont know half the names of the real exercices.

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD 08-05-2007 03:53 AM

I have the Rangers conditioning manual from 2000. Never really utilized it tho since its kinda complicated.

Besides that I did a lot of leg work (mostly squats) tri's, shoulders, abs, forearms etc. Can't really work out right now since I'm waiting for knee surgery.

Sorry, OT...but can anyone recommend a good hockey-specific training method??

I plan on playing within a years time with the intentions of getting back to the level I played a few years ago and thats gonna take a few months of conditioning maybe more.

*EDIT* BTW....I've read Tony Twists Complete Conditioning a few times.

My problem is putting a program together.

-B

-B

RangersMoogle 08-05-2007 11:53 AM

Smoot; http://www.ironaddicts.com/Articles.html Read his 'Top 5 Routines' articles, specifically the hardgainer one.

You don't need to lift specifically for hockey, just need to work the right muscles, and any good routine will work all the right muscles for hockey.

CamDegs13 08-05-2007 12:05 PM

Monday - Chest/Arms

Wednesday - Back/Shoulders

Friday - Legs

I make my own workouts.

invictus 08-05-2007 12:45 PM

check out dynamic tension http://charlesatlas.com/

you'll learn the workout that made a man out of Mac :-) even better if you are a 97 pound weakling.

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD 08-05-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangersMoogle (Post 10112437)
Smoot; http://www.ironaddicts.com/Articles.html Read his 'Top 5 Routines' articles, specifically the hardgainer one.

You don't need to lift specifically for hockey, just need to work the right muscles, and any good routine will work all the right muscles for hockey.

Thanks alot man. This helps.

-B

TaiMaiShu 08-05-2007 04:37 PM

Three day rotation:

Day 1
Chest and Back

Day 2
Arms and Shoulders

Day 3
Abs and Legs

I try to work out 6 days a week with 3 or 4 days running a mile and biking 2 miles.
And I skate 2 days a week at the rink. I try to avoid running as much as I can because I absolutely hate it.

Tinordi24* 08-08-2007 09:00 AM

1 - Chest/Triceps
2- Back/Biceps
3- Shoulders
4- Legs
5- off
Repeat

Work abs every day you can and hit the rowing machine as much as possible. Avoid exercise bike as it shortens your stride.

1g-1.5g protein per pound you weigh to keep your muscles from melting away due to any form of aerobic workout and the sheer amount of calories you burn from playing hockey.

Eat whole grains and good carbs. Avoid sugars, white bread/rice etc.

Try to stuff down a few good carbs immediately after a game.

gick 08-08-2007 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerT (Post 10134262)
1 - Chest/Triceps
2- Back/Biceps
3- Shoulders
4- Legs
5- off
Repeat

Work abs every day you can and hit the rowing machine as much as possible. Avoid exercise bike as it shortens your stride.
1g-1.5g protein per pound you weigh to keep your muscles from melting away due to any form of aerobic workout and the sheer amount of calories you burn from playing hockey.

Eat whole grains and good carbs. Avoid sugars, white bread/rice etc.

Try to stuff down a few good carbs immediately after a game.

how does an exerssize bike shorten your stride?

Hank19 08-08-2007 01:35 PM

Monday -12 sets chest, 12 sets shoulders, abs, HIIT sprints
Tuesday - 8K, abs
Wednesday - 15 sets tri's, 12 sets bi's, abs, HIIT Stationary bike
Thursday - 8K run, abs
Friday - 21 sets legs, 12 sets back, abs, 10 minutes stair master
Saturday - 10-14K run, abs

Diet: Eat 6 small meals a day, high in protein, low in carbs, lots of fruit and veggies with some protein shakes as suppliments.

true_moose 08-08-2007 06:19 PM

I do my own thing. I trained for long enough that I know most of the exercises. This is my first year doing it all on my own, and I've seen good results. Basically, I try to do chest/squats/arms, then deadlifts/cleans/auxiliary muscles. I lift 4x a week, two sets of two days structured like that. Don't do too many abs, but I'm on the ice 4-5 times a week plus work (I teach powerskating), plus I run 7-8k twice a week. The big thing for me right now is I'm doing some different stuff because my knee, which I blew up about a year ago, is not working right in terms of squatting. Then yesterday I screwed my back up pretty good too :(.

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD 08-10-2007 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by true_moose (Post 10138849)
I do my own thing. I trained for long enough that I know most of the exercises. This is my first year doing it all on my own, and I've seen good results. Basically, I try to do chest/squats/arms, then deadlifts/cleans/auxiliary muscles. I lift 4x a week, two sets of two days structured like that. Don't do too many abs, but I'm on the ice 4-5 times a week plus work (I teach powerskating), plus I run 7-8k twice a week. The big thing for me right now is I'm doing some different stuff because my knee, which I blew up about a year ago, is not working right in terms of squatting. Then yesterday I screwed my back up pretty good too :(.

Working out should never be the cause of injury. If you get hurt it should be on the ice. Maybe you're overdoing it just a tad.

Sorry to hear about that, hope you get better. I myself know all about a blown up knee...yikes!

-B

HABSMANIA21* 08-14-2007 09:52 AM

well you can get injured if you go too hard.

Kamus 08-24-2007 02:34 PM

After doing routines that resemble a lot of the ones posted I stumbled onto a 5X5 program. In two months on the 5X5 i made more progress than in one year doing my own thing.

The 5X5 is a pretty basic program but very effective especially for athletes. It focuses on compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench etc. I would seriously recommend this program to everyone especially if you're a beginner.

http://www.eclipsegym.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57