HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   the real Bulldog prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=40823)

Sam I Am 01-04-2004 05:39 AM

the real Bulldog prospects

There have been a few Bulldag games televised lately. Based on those, these observations.

1) Number one prospect for Habs is Josef Balej. Very, very fast. Talented. Shoots hard, quick and often. For those of you old ehough to remember, he's strongly reminiscent of former Hab Russ Courtnall.

2) Habs prospect 1A: Perezhogin. Some serious skills. Unlike what some have said, he is unafraid of the physical side of the game. Huge prospect.

3) Plekanec is not rated here as he is already with the big club. Slightly larger version of Koivu though no less fast. Very good play-maker. IMO a keeper over Ribiero or Pereault.

4) Player with biggest upside: Svitov. Tmapa Bay property. Giant-sized with speed and skill. Plays off-and-on but when he's on he is scary good, May never justify his third overall selection but if he puts it all together, watch out. Love for Habs to somehow put together a deal to snag him.

5) Higgins: not ready. Neither impresses nor looks out of place. Simply too soon in his case.

6) Hainsey. Good with puck but accident prone. Defensively, not so hot against the rush. I'd love to say he's a lock on a spot with the big club but as of now he has yet to prove it. Bouillon is still much more reliable and reliable is what you want in a defenceman. Would consider trading him--but only for another prospect (see Svitov above).

7) Beauchemin. May be useful as an insurance policy against injury but don't see him supplanting anyone on the Habs in the near future.

8) Milroy. Too young, too green and way too soon to tell. Maybe the additional ice time he'll get with all the call-ups will help.

9) The two other Tampa prospects are solid forwards, Their names escape me at the moment.

As for the rest, it's hard to say anything beyond one word: longshot.

Sam I Am 01-04-2004 06:15 AM

Oh yeah, Hossa. I almost forgot which is easy to understand. I still can't figure out what everyone sees in him.

KnuklZ 01-04-2004 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam I Am
Oh yeah, Hossa. I almost forgot which is easy to understand. I still can't figure out what everyone sees in him.

What about Jonathan Ferland...he has been solid in his first professional season. Imo he has been having a better season than Milroy.

didjuicythat 01-04-2004 06:35 AM

The two Tampa forwards are Jimmie Olvestäd and Eero Somervuori. Both are pretty "old" prospects, as Somervuori is 24 (1997 draftee) and Olvestad will also turn 24 soon. They've been really useful to the Bulldogs thus far.

Team_Spirit 01-04-2004 06:37 AM

My rankings based on the same :

1) Hainsey : He's the Rob Blake of the AHL , can't wait to see Bouillon gone . Alot of potential d-men need time to mature . I wonder why he's 6th on your list http://www.stupid-boy.com/smilies/otn/funny/bongsmi.gif

2) Balej : One of the best fowards in the 'A' play PK , PP , his speed could really complement Ribeiro or Koivu , 2 great playmakers . Potential 30g scorer at this point imo .

3) Plekanec : Show grit , passion and heart . He creates things out there and his recent stint in the NHL can't deny it .

4) Hossa : Time is starting to be a factor for Hossa . Many fans have lost their confidence in Hossa . At this point he's a wildcard imo .

5)Higgins & Perezhogin : He's a pro level rookie , like Perezhogin both could sky rocket at #1 on my list in a short while of time . Both have alot of upside .

7)Bauchemein : Got the ''A'' down there , could be a filler at some point in the future . I think he can fight and do the role Quintal was doing last year .

8)Ferland : 3rd liner

9)Milroy : Time will tell .

Screw Svitov and Someuvori i don't care .

Mike8 01-04-2004 06:57 AM

My god Balej is getting a lot of hype lately.

Okay, I'll predict Higgins makes the NHL on a full-time basis before Balej does. And he'll be a far more effective player, too.

Habs4Life 01-04-2004 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
My god Balej is getting a lot of hype lately.

Okay, I'll predict Higgins makes the NHL on a full-time basis before Balej does. And he'll be a far more effective player, too.

I think Balej and Higgin's have the same chance of making the team next year.

Guy Caballero 01-04-2004 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam I Am
1) Number one prospect for Habs is Josef Balej. Very, very fast. Talented. Shoots hard, quick and often. For those of you old ehough to remember, he's strongly reminiscent of former Hab Russ Courtnall.

I'm old enough, and that's a no-sale for me. Does he also blaze through the neutral zone only to fire the puck into the corner at the first sign of contact like Russ did?

RE-HABS 01-04-2004 07:29 AM

Thanks for the update and evaluations.

One thing, maybe two. The Balej to Courtnall reference, I don't like because Courtnall may have been blessed with speed and put up some decent numbers in a couple of seasons but his hockey sense was not that great...it seemed his brain couldn't translate to his hands as fast as his legs went. I don't see this as a problem with Balej, just the comparision...maybe Geoff Courtnall would be better because he had the scoring ability and some wheels too.

As for Hossa, I think he is a great prospect. The only thing is success came to him too soon and like Feder Federov he is cursed with the same last name from the famous star brother. I think a full season in Hamilotn and fresh start in Montreal next season will do Marion a world of good, he is too young and talent to give up on. He may do better in Habtown with his old buddy Balej there too next season. Don't give up on him yet, the skill is there...his heart isn't right now because the maturity level isn't there to the pro level yet. Once Marion gets over the fact that being in Hamilton isn't a demotion but a chance to improve and to make him ready for the NHL he will do great, Jarvis will help him a lot too.

Rahan 01-04-2004 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS
As for Hossa, I think he is a great prospect. The only thing is success came to him too soon and like Feder Federov he is cursed with the same last name from the famous star brother. I think a full season in Hamilotn and fresh start in Montreal next season will do Marion a world of good..

That's quite ironic.

(Marcel)

RE-HABS 01-04-2004 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahan
That's quite ironic.

(Marcel)

Freudian slip, my bad...or maybe wishful thinking! :p

Sam I Am 01-04-2004 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
My rankings based on the same :

1) Hainsey : He's the Rob Blake of the AHL , can't wait to see Bouillon gone . Alot of potential d-men need time to mature . I wonder why he's 6th on your list.

Two games in a row I have seen Hainsey cough up the puck in the most egregious fashion. He has skills, for sure, but he doesn't hit or take out the man like Blake.

Right now a more apt comparison is a young Brisebois. He has generally good passing and skating skills, and when on his game, is very helpful is aiding the offense. He also is less than intimidating in the defensive zone and gives away the puck more than I'd like to see.

Don't get me wrong: I'd love to see him work out. He still has plenty to learn, though, and Montreal is a bad place for a d-man to work on his chops.

montreal 01-04-2004 11:51 AM

It's get to see Hamilton having another strong season, as the rookies and 2nd year players have really been impressive, imo. I am all for leaving the prospects in Hamilton all season long, as they will continue to learn under Jarvis, continue to play on one of the top teams (and at one point this week they were the top scoring team in the AHL) which is great experience, plus they get to establish chemistry with the young group we have down there.

Who's the best in Hamilton? Tough call, Balej is playing great, Perezhogin seems to be adapting well to the smaller ice, Higgins I have been very impressed with. He plays such a smart, solid all round game, I can't wait to see him in Habland. Plekanec I might have picked for the top Hamilton prospect, but it's really a close call. Out of those four though, you have a **** load of talent, skating, speed, and goal scoring.

Ferland has also been impressive, imo and I look forward to seeing him get more icetime next season. Milroy I think will pick it up some, but hopefully next year he will get a more important role. Some players take longer then others to adapt, but we'll see, I think he's been better lately just can't get them in the net. Archer hasn't had the best luck, and missing camp and a lot of games hasn't helped him either. Hopefully he bulids on this year, and gets more ice time.

Beauchemin I am a big fan of, but he does tend to have brain cramps at times, although I would like to see him get a callup over Hainsey, who I really like as well, but I don't think he's ready just yet, as his defensive game will give him fits often. I'd like to see Beauchemin get some games in with the Habs in place of Bouillon, as I think Beauchy can bring more offense then Bouillon (Beauchy shoots a good bit) while still being physical, and able to drop the gloves, and handling his own end. But I'd be surprised if it happened, they seem confident in the Cube for now.

Hainsey could be the most skilled player in Hamilton (but I'd still say Perezhogin takes that award) but I'm not sold on him just yet. He seems to play well in the AHL, so I'd leave him down there and let him learn from his mistakes and grow confident in his own end. I still think he will be a good one, but I'd give him lots of time.

Hossa I think is very good as well, but he has struggled this year at times. Tons of skill, but doesn't use it often enough. I think a full year in Hamilton will do good for him, maybe even another year next season if he is not producing.

Damphousse has been better lately, as he clearly has talent, and put up impressive numbers in the past, hopefully he finds his consistency. I like that Jarvis is going with J-F every game. Get him going, and the Dogs are in great shape for the playoffs with Fichaud right there to step in if need be.

Often overlook cause he's not a Habs prospect, but Cote is impressive at times. I like his physical game, as he seems strong and likes to hit. Needs work on his hockey sense in his own end, much like Hainsey, but plays a opposite game. I hope the Habs consider signing him next year just for AHL depth.

habitants9_4 01-04-2004 03:17 PM

Based on the 23 home games that I have attented here is my top 10.

Top 10

#1 Josef Balej,

#2 Svitov's

#3 Hainsey

#4 Plekanec

#5 Perezhogin

#6 Mike Komisarek

#7 Benoit Gratton

#8 Chris Higgins

#9 Beauchemin

#10 Olvestad

HabsBaby18* 01-04-2004 06:37 PM

Does anyone have news on Ilkka Mikkola ?? because I want to know more about this guy. Thanks in advance

penopekoo 01-04-2004 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsBaby18
Does anyone have news on Ilkka Mikkola ?? because I want to know more about this guy. Thanks in advance

Went to Europe.

I think he's out of the Habs' radar now... although I think someone mentioned that there's often talk of bringing him back during the off-season.