HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Brisebois +11 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=40859)

BLONG7 01-04-2004 08:06 AM

Brisebois +11

Is this possible??? He hasn't scored yet, but seems to have been playing better in his own end. This time last year we wanted Tony Soprano to take him out! Kudos to BG for stuffing the boobirds and CJ for recognizing PB's proper role! Comments?

eddy 01-04-2004 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLONG7
Is this possible??? He hasn't scored yet, but seems to have been playing better in his own end. This time last year we wanted Tony Soprano to take him out! Kudos to BG for stuffing the boobirds and CJ for recognizing PB's proper role! Comments?

Yes Brisebois is playing very well, alot thanks to CJ and BG, he's not worth quite what were paying but he's playing well. I always thought if given the right role he could be useful and he's been playing the right role fit for him this year and it shows because he's been good. Only thing i'd like to see him do more of is shoot, especially on the PP, he scored 15 goals a couple years ago, so we know he can do it, but he has yet to get one this season.

habitue* 01-04-2004 08:19 AM

4 million dollars for a DEFENSIVE d-man who has not score a single goal since the beginning of the year !!! I prefer the old version of Brisebois, taking chances and creating some offense. Plus and minus stats are garbage to me.

BLONG7 01-04-2004 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habitué
4 million dollars for a DEFENSIVE d-man who has not score a single goal since the beginning of the year !!! I prefer the old version of Brisebois, taking chances and creating some offense. Plus and minus stats are garbage to me.

Really.

eddy 01-04-2004 08:30 AM

Quote:

Alot of those chances he took reulted in the other team scoring. I much prefer Brisbois now even if he isn't worth what were paying him.

habitue* 01-04-2004 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLONG7
Really.

Yes, REALLY ! Brisebois is an intelligent dude. He's got the money now and got rid of the booing in the process by playing safe, unimaginative hockey like 95% of all d-men in the league. He's not even in the first wave of PP anymore.

As for + and -, never forget that there is FOUR other players on the ice. Their mistake can make your + and - stats look pretty bad.

Habs4Life 01-04-2004 08:38 AM

For the people that dislike patrice this year, think of it this way...

Would you rather have an offensive defenceman who can't play defensively, who would you rather have a defenceman who can play both offensively and defensively, the choice is obvious...

For the Patrice Brisbois disliker's think about it!

Habs4Life 01-04-2004 08:40 AM

Quote:

He's gunning for 26 points this year, goals are not everything!!!!!!!!

Assists are just as good as goals in my book!

Rahan 01-04-2004 08:40 AM

The reason he isn't scoring is that he's gotten so smart now.
He almost always makes not-so-powerful and low shots that creates huge rebounds with open nets, and that's what it's all about. Too bad our players are the worst at controlling rebounds.

habitue* 01-04-2004 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plekanec
Outch, can I believe what I just read!! :dunno:

Come on, Brisebois is just great this year... He is pretty effective in his own zone, he takes good decisions, solid along the board, play with energy and passion, does'nt cheat, accurate passes....

No goals but several assits! The major difference is that Brisebois makes positive things happen on the ice this year conpatively to the last one where he was hurting the team a big time!

I just can't believe that someone can say a such thing, you are totally blind or what?

Two years ago, Brisebois had good stats and was in the PLUS (even if I don't care) and some nutcases started to boo him for all the wrong reasons. He lost his confidence and had a miserable year last year. But I still prefer the Brisebois of two years ago. Therrien did not use him wisely, always playing him against the opponet's top lines and in short handed situation and in the last minutes of every game. That is why he looked so bad.

eddy 01-04-2004 08:42 AM

Quote:

Yes, REALLY ! Brisebois is an intelligent dude. He's got the money now and got rid of the booing in the process by playing safe, unimaginative hockey like 95% of all d-men in the league. He's not even in the first wave of PP anymore.

As for + and -, never forget that there is FOUR other players on the ice. Their mistake can make your + and - stats look pretty bad.

So you basicly prefer the Brisbois 00/01 where he scored 15 goals 36 points and a -31, compared to Brisbois this year where he isn't scoring goals but is playing well defencivly and still is producing points he has 13 assists on pace for 30 points and +25, assuming he comes somewhat close to his projected total I think most would much prefer the way Brisboise is playing this year apposed to the old Brisbois who scored some more goals and took chances so what that was the Brisboise that made all the fans hate him and tried to boo him out of town.

Quote:

Two years ago, Brisebois had good stats and was in the PLUS (even if I don't care) and some nutcases started to boo him for all the wrong reasons. He lost his confidence and had a miserable year last year. But I still prefer the Brisebois of two years ago. Therrien did not use him wisely, always playing him against the opponet's top lines and in short handed situation and in the last minutes of every game. That is why he looked so bad.

Ya he had a decent season that year, and your probly right Therrien didn't play him correctly but he's still better now.

PrairieHabber 01-04-2004 09:04 AM

Brisebois has been a bit of a jeckyl & hyde when it comes to his plus/minus. He hasn't had two consecutive plus seasons since 92-93 and 93-94. The last 5 years have looked like this:

03-04: +11
02-03: -14
01-02: +9
00-01: -31
99-00: -1

You can't put too much stock into +/-, however in Brisebois' case it reflected his inability to make good decisions. This season he is obviously generating scoring chances as evidenced by his 13 assists, he is being used in a wiser manner by Julien and as a result is playing with more confidence.

PrairieHabber 01-04-2004 09:09 AM

One more thing, Brisebois is on pace for 30 assists, which would be a career high.

Darz 01-05-2004 06:34 AM

Kudo's to BG for standing up to the boobirds (morons).
Kudo's to CJ for using Brisebois more effectively

but

biggest kudo's have to go out to Brisebois for taking a very bad sitaution and turning it into a good one.
His changed offseason workout & his pissed off screw you attitude are the biggest reasons for his turn around this year.
I mentioned this the first time I saw Brsiebois in the preseason and have noticed it throughout the year. First off, Brisebois is much bigger and much stronger this year than any other in his career. Instead of focusing more on his lower body he focused on his upper body and overall strength. He has been playing the body better than ever before because of this.
Also his screw you attitude has imo, helped him tune out other distractions and let him focus on the game and nothing else.
I have a feeling if we would of traded Brisebois for next to nothing last year we'd all be kick ourselves now saying 'Why didn't he play like that for us?'.

HabsBaby18* 01-05-2004 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plekanec
Outch, can I believe what I just read!! :dunno:

Come on, Brisebois is just great this year... He is pretty effective in his own zone, he takes good decisions, solid along the board, play with energy and passion, does'nt cheat, accurate passes....

No goal but several assits! The major difference is that Brisebois makes positive things happen on the ice this year compatively to the last one where he was hurting the team a big time! It's funny that you say that Brisebois was more creative last year because it's quite false, Brisebois was looking desinterested and was even not skating with the puck, he was getting rid of the puck as much as he could!

I just can't believe that someone can say a such thing, you are totally blind or what?

He is better than last year ... Even if he hasn't score yet , he is better than last year but still he is 4 millions dollar and for 4 millions , he should be better. He is not worth 4 millions dollar , Bottom Line.

Habber 01-05-2004 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsBaby18
He is better than last year ... Even if he hasn't score yet , he is better than last year but still he is 4 millions dollar and for 4 millions , he should be better. He is not worth 4 millions dollar , Bottom Line.

I don't think anyone is saying he’s worth $4 mil a year.

But he is playing well in his role, which is a second pair d-man and second unit PP. It’s unfortunate that he’s paid so much money but that shouldn’t diminish his contribution to the team. He is much more valuable to us playing like he is right now instead of trying to be an first tier offensive defenceman. He’s playing within his means and playing within the system and has been a big part of our success so far this season.