HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Who Will Not Be On the Preds Roster Opening Night (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=408839)

handtrick 08-09-2007 08:50 AM

Who Will Not Be On the Preds Roster Opening Night

I have started the same poll on NP.com and asked everybody to put on their GM hat and see if the group think could accurately predict who won't be on the Pred's Opening Night Roster.

This poll is the same one over here....just wanted to see which board's proves to be the closest to the ulimate answer.....

barrytrotzsneck 08-09-2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handtrick (Post 10142489)
I have started the same poll on NP.com and asked everybody to put on their GM hat and see if the group think could accurately predict who won't be on the Pred's Opening Night Roster.

This poll is the same one over here....just wanted to see which board's proves to be the closest to the ulimate answer.....

1. Ville Koistinen
2. Pekka Rinne
3. Kevin Klein

vopatsrash 08-09-2007 09:12 AM

I'm going to say Pekka won't be there. I think Poile will get a (relative) veteran as the backup before the end of camp.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Tootoo this season. If last year's officiating trend happens, he has almost no on-ice value to the Predators outside of sending him out against the Flames and Blue Jackets to mix things up with them. However, he is still marketable in Nashville, so the whole ticket thing will always give him a chance to hang around a little longer than he should.

This is the most important season of his career. He has to redefine his game to chip in more points to add value to the team and begin the process of turning his reputation with officials around, which will take more than a season. I don't know if that's possible. I do know the days of running around and randomly hitting people and shooting the puck 95 mph into the goalie's chest and skating off have to end.

barrytrotzsneck 08-09-2007 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vopatsrash (Post 10142607)
I'm going to say Pekka won't be there. I think Poile will get a (relative) veteran as the backup before the end of camp.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Tootoo this season. If last year's officiating trend happens, he has almost no on-ice value to the Predators outside of sending him out against the Flames and Blue Jackets to mix things up with them. However, he is still marketable in Nashville, so the whole ticket thing will always give him a chance to hang around a little longer than he should.

This is the most important season of his career. He has to redefine his game to chip in more points to add value to the team and begin the process of turning his reputation with officials around, which will take more than a season. I don't know if that's possible. I do know the days of running around and randomly hitting people and shooting the puck 95 mph into the goalie's chest and skating off have to end.

Wait a minute...did you say goalie's chest? When did Tootoo get his shot that low? Don't you mean "off the top of the glass behind the goal?" ;)

Speaking of veteran backups...Mike Dunham is available...

Enoch 08-09-2007 09:35 AM

I voted for Klein, which is a shame.....he has a lot of tools to succeed in the new NHL.

barrytrotzsneck 08-09-2007 09:36 AM

At any rate, the way I see it shaking out, defense is going to be the hardest spot to get into for some of the bubble guys. You have:

Hamhuis
Weber
Suter
Zanon
DeVries
Zidlicky

as locks. So in essence, there's one opening...and it's for an extreme part time spot, going on the icetime VV received.

You have Koistinen and Klein as the apparent frontrunners, given their contract status(Koistinen is understood to be making the team or going back to Europe, and has a one-way deal, Klein must pass waivers to be sent down--I'm guessing that he either makes the team or is traded, as there's no way he'll clear waivers)

Klein's game closely resembles Hamhuis and Suter. In a way, that plays to his advantage--he's effective at both ends of the ice, provides offense while being strong\physical in his own zone. In another way, with the loss of Timonen, that also plays against him, as he risks redundancy. That brings us to...

Koistinen falls more in the Zidlicky mold--lots of offensive bang, but at the cost of some goals against. He's also on the smallish side, the classic 13th forward. Do we look at him to replace some of the offense we've lost on the back-end...or do we favor Klein's size advantage and two-way game?

In the end, I see Klein winning out, as I don't think Koistinen's offensive game is refined enough to be immediately effective at the NHL level. He might get a Mikko Lehtonen-esque cup of coffee to start...as may Klein, but I eventually see him heading to Europe. The hitch is that when that just leaves Klein as the seventh d-man, I see him getting some spotlight time and THEN being traded, leaving us with six active D, allowing us to accomodate the glut of fourth line forwards we have.

RaiderDoug 08-09-2007 10:51 AM

Koistenen, followed by Rinne.

Rinne could use another year in the AHL, and I dont see Koistenen beating out Klein. Klein will be the scratch D-man.

While we can all speculate, i've heard nothing from anyone official that states that Sully wont be ready. Trotz likes Smithson. Tootoo is a fan favorite and one of our only guys that can mix it up, and I think he gets one more shot to see if he can contribute anything on the offensive end.

David Singleton 08-09-2007 11:46 AM

If I was living in NHL '08 and could create any trade I wanted (especially if the new ownership group was looking to make a big splash):

I'd trade Erat, Klein, Fiddler/Smithson/Tootoo, and a 3rd to Atlanta for Marian Hossa. Hossa would more than replace Erat, and would provide a lines looking like Dumont-Legwand-Radulov and Sullivan-Arnott-Hossa (or something there-abouts). It helps Atlanta lower costs, eases the loss of Hossa from their forward core, and helps immensely on their blueline. It also keeps with our philosophy of good two-way players, eases our glut of forwards, eases our glut of defensemen, provides more punch to one of the scoring lines, and (if need be) creates a PK group of Sully and Hossa that would strike fear into the opposing PP. It allows us to continue with the strategy of running two primarily scoring lines, one checking line, and one energy line. If we add Forsberg, one of our offensive players will toil on the third line with linemates they would not be suited for- and I believe that would fall on Legwand. Lastly, if current players nearing RFA/UFA status were basing their decision on staying in Nashville on the team's commitment to winning- I think this trade would go a long way to easing concerns.

Of course, that trade increases our actual salary payout (not cap hit) about 4-4.5 million. Hossa makes $7 million with a 6$ million cap hit. He will be an UFA after this season.

That said, given handtrick's poll, our most valuable tradeable asset is Klein. Rinne won't be traded (I don't think), but he could start in Milwaukee. That said, number of players dictate a trade prior to the start of the regular season. My vote goes to Klein.

David

X-SHARKIE 08-09-2007 12:32 PM

As in Admirals follower I have to vote Klein. He took a step back in development last year after his amazing 05-06 season. Koistonen surpassed him as he was one of the top defenseman in the AHL last year.

Jeffler 08-09-2007 12:41 PM

Sidney Crosby. :sarcasm:

Joe T Choker 08-09-2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffler (Post 10144137)
Sidney Crosby. :sarcasm:

really ? ... I had no idea he wasn't on our roster :shakehead

tulsytrid1 08-09-2007 03:21 PM

In hopes that Klein makes it at least as a 7th platooning with another one of our D, I chose Koistinen.

puckscene 08-09-2007 11:01 PM

I too have to vote for Pekka...I think Poile gets a more veteran backup...Pekka missed a lot of time last year...he needs more time to grow...he's better growing in the minors until it's time to bring him up.

jstreet 08-10-2007 12:52 AM

I picked Klein simply because I think he is a great trade asset.

Seth Lake 08-10-2007 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titan22381 (Post 10148622)
I too have to vote for Pekka...I think Poile gets a more veteran backup...Pekka missed a lot of time last year...he needs more time to grow...he's better growing in the minors until it's time to bring him up.

Gotta remember that we also signed Dan Ellis to compete for the backup job in Nashville. I too would love a more veteran NHL backup, but I'm willing to bet that either Rinne or more likely Ellis will be backing up Mason unless we get a veteran goalie to camp on a tryout contract.

golfmade 08-10-2007 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 10149202)
Gotta remember that we also signed Dan Ellis to compete for the backup job in Nashville. I too would love a more veteran NHL backup, but I'm willing to bet that either Rinne or more likely Ellis will be backing up Mason unless we get a veteran goalie to camp on a tryout contract.

Granted it's been a few years since I saw Ellis play but when he played for the Idaho Steelheads I was really impressed with his play. Lead the team to their first ECHL championship (was in Japan at the time so I couldn't see the final games). But I'm excited he's in the organization and I hope he gets some ice time and makes the most of it.

AdsSabresRule 08-11-2007 03:49 PM

Rinne/Ellis

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfmade (Post 10149340)
Granted it's been a few years since I saw Ellis play but when he played for the Idaho Steelheads I was really impressed with his play. Lead the team to their first ECHL championship (was in Japan at the time so I couldn't see the final games). But I'm excited he's in the organization and I hope he gets some ice time and makes the most of it.

I do think Ellis is better than Rinne, IMO. I think Ellis v. Rinne will be one of the 'undercurrent' things to watch at camp this fall...Ellis has been steady his whole career. Honestly I don't think Pekka looked nearly as confident last season coming off of his shoulder surgery than he was the season before. A lot of people will point to our Defense - but IMO I thought our D kept us in most of those games last season as we had no offense...

AdsSabresRule 08-11-2007 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE (Post 10144049)
As in Admirals follower I have to vote Klein. He took a step back in development last year after his amazing 05-06 season. Koistonen surpassed him as he was one of the top defenseman in the AHL last year.

Do you think that Kevin did not look as sharp last season? Should he have been up with the Preds? I guess I'm wondering how he 'stepped back' in development. I thought that we put him in a lot of different situations - so much so that at one point I thought he was being 'showcased' for scouts... don't have his +/-, ice time, or superstats in front of me, but I thought Kevin was very solid last season. But, then again I only saw perhaps 80 percent of the home and 50 percent of the road, so I missed some of the games...I do think that he is the best trade bait for you guys right now, however...As far as Koistenen is concerned, yeah, an offensive defenseman, for sure. Small, but man is he a great puck handler, and blazing fast. Some of the end - to - end stuff he did was wild!

JussiM 08-15-2007 03:17 AM

I'm thinking probably Koistinen and / or Rinne...

togahcky21 08-23-2007 10:07 PM

From yahoo.com
Sullivan still recovering
Thursday, Aug 16, 2007 12:12 pm EDT
Nashville Predators forward Steve Sullivan may not be at 100 percent when training camp begins Sept. 13.
Sullivan missed the final 20 games of the season and all five playoff games with back pain. In late June, he underwent surgery to correct a disc problem that was pressuring a nerve.
Coach Barry Trotz said Sullivan continues to make progress.
Source: The Tennessean

My moneys on sullivan and if he is there he wont be the same

jstreet 08-24-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by togahcky21 (Post 10252167)
My moneys on sullivan and if he is there he wont be the same

some of us agree but would be estatic to be proved wrong
see THIS THREAD

ffwrx 08-24-2007 03:12 PM

I just voted for Sullivan. ;)

Just trying to make light of a bad situation.:cry:

Jarnberg 08-24-2007 03:58 PM

Hmm, perhaps we should have more then one option now? :(

peteo 08-26-2007 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnlikestars (Post 10149152)
I picked Klein simply because I think he is a great trade asset.

Send him to Philly for a RW.

Jarnberg 08-26-2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo (Post 10267061)
Send him to Philly for a RW.

Which RW?