HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Why was the Saddledome booing? Jovo Saturday nite? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=41080)

hackey 01-04-2004 09:28 PM

Why was the Saddledome booing? Jovo Saturday nite?

Were the fans in Calgary booing Jovo? Saturday nite or were they going Jooovoooo?
It seemed to start after he got hurt when he went head first into the boards. That stopped the play but he didn't miss a shift. After that, it seemed like the Saddledome fans were booing him every time he touched the puck or was on the ice? Please explain.

ForeignFlame 01-05-2004 12:24 AM

Ah, maybe because he plays for those evil 'nucks rivals? :p

:dunno:

Red Bull 01-05-2004 10:09 AM

Right in the middle of a Calgary chance where they were dominating in the 'nucks zone he dove and pretended to be injured to get a whistle for a line change. He of course popped right back up after the whistle was blown.

Sutter Brother 01-05-2004 10:53 AM

The fans at the Dome did the same thing to Tucker when he faked the injury off a semi-hi stick from saprykin earlier this year ( when all he was doing was protecting himself from a cheap shot). Jovo clearly trips on his own on the replay. Some how I wonder how the game would be different if Iggy scores on the penalty shot.

quat 01-05-2004 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bull
Right in the middle of a Calgary chance where they were dominating in the 'nucks zone he dove and pretended to be injured to get a whistle for a line change. He of course popped right back up after the whistle was blown.

Hmm... do you really think that was a dive? I can understand why fans at the game who may not have seen a decent replay might think that... but certainly the replay I saw showed Jovo losing his footing and going headfirst into the boards... guys who are trying to gain a penalty from boarding pretty much stand facing the boards and then fall into them when hit from behind. Jovanovski was skating with speed towards the boards, and he could very likely have badly hurt himself for the season drawing a 2 minute penalty? That sounds extremely paranoid to me... or just how much the Flames fans hate the CAnucks.

Red Bull 01-05-2004 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quat
Hmm... do you really think that was a dive? I can understand why fans at the game who may not have seen a decent replay might think that... but certainly the replay I saw showed Jovo losing his footing and going headfirst into the boards... guys who are trying to gain a penalty from boarding pretty much stand facing the boards and then fall into them when hit from behind. Jovanovski was skating with speed towards the boards, and he could very likely have badly hurt himself for the season drawing a 2 minute penalty? That sounds extremely paranoid to me... or just how much the Flames fans hate the CAnucks.

No I don't think it was a dive, I KNOW it was a dive.

Snakeeye 01-05-2004 06:46 PM

I dont think it was a dive, and Jovonoski was likely winded on the play, so his staying down was expected.

However, Jovonoski didnt miss a shift, so the fans treated him like he faked it.

Also, this was barely a week after Bertuzzi did his oscar nominated acting job when he pretended that a soft shot with the puck caved his face in, only to pop up, go to the bench and fail to miss a shift as soon as he got the whistle.

I'd guess that even though Jovo wasnt faking it, Bertuzzi's previous antics pretty much cast a doubt on any Canuck that goes down, apparently hurt, only to get back up immediately.

As an aside, Joe Sakic took a harder puck to the face on New Years Eve that broke his jaw. Not only did he not go down, or make any real act out of it, he went straight to the bench.

Sakic has a kind of class that Bertuzzi will never understand.

Waveburner 01-06-2004 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakeeye
I dont think it was a dive, and Jovonoski was likely winded on the play, so his staying down was expected.

However, Jovonoski didnt miss a shift, so the fans treated him like he faked it.

Also, this was barely a week after Bertuzzi did his oscar nominated acting job when he pretended that a soft shot with the puck caved his face in, only to pop up, go to the bench and fail to miss a shift as soon as he got the whistle.

I'd guess that even though Jovo wasnt faking it, Bertuzzi's previous antics pretty much cast a doubt on any Canuck that goes down, apparently hurt, only to get back up immediately.

As an aside, Joe Sakic took a harder puck to the face on New Years Eve that broke his jaw. Not only did he not go down, or make any real act out of it, he went straight to the bench.

Sakic has a kind of class that Bertuzzi will never understand.

oh......my...........god.

Players being hurt by a puck in the face is "classless". Now I've heard it all.

icarus 01-06-2004 07:17 PM

Don't know about Jovo, but why were Canuck fans chanting "USA sucks" during Afterhours on Saturday nite?

quat 01-06-2004 09:01 PM

Quote:

No I don't think it was a dive, I KNOW it was a dive.

Riiiight... brilliant comment, completely lacking any explanation as to how you would KNOW what another human being intended. You may have a good reason to believe he dived, as I have for believing he didn't... but since you don't seem to want to share this "wisdom" with someone who has an honest inquirey, your comment reflects the nature and stature of your thought process.

It's much more likely that I KNOW you don't have a clue about the inicident at all.

quat 01-06-2004 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icarus
Don't know about Jovo, but why were Canuck fans chanting "USA sucks" during Afterhours on Saturday nite?

Because those fans are classless? Or USA makes good vacume cleaners?

Snakeeye 01-07-2004 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waveburner
oh......my...........god.

Players being hurt by a puck in the face is "classless". Now I've heard it all.

The ability to read is a very useful tool when using internet message boards. You should learn it someday.

Bertuzzi's acting <font size=7><b><i><u>AFTER</u></i></b></font> getting hit was classless. The guy dove like a euro soccer player to draw the whistle.

Reign Nateo 01-07-2004 06:54 AM

Calgary fans showed they are just as rowdy and classless as some Canucks fans. I think the reason Canucks fans have such a bad rap is that the rink is usually very livley, whereas in Calgary (uncle has seasons tickets, used to live there) fans are looked at curiously if they stand up when the home team scores a goal. I have never been in a rink watching a hockey game where the fans are as up tight as they were in Calgary. I wore a Canuck jersey and cheered for the Canucks the entire game and no one challenged me to a fight or even yelled at me, where's the fun in that?

But it appears things are changing, as booing Jovanovski is as classless as anything some Canucks fans have done.

And why do non-Canucks fans try to blame EVERYTHING on Bertuzzi? It's really pathetic.

Snakeeye 01-07-2004 09:35 AM

Nothing Flames fans have ever done is nearly as classless as Canuck fans booing the US anthem.

Your "USA Sucks" chant on after hours last saturday was close.

kruezer 01-07-2004 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Calgary fans showed they are just as rowdy and classless as some Canucks fans. I think the reason Canucks fans have such a bad rap is that the rink is usually very livley, whereas in Calgary (uncle has seasons tickets, used to live there) fans are looked at curiously if they stand up when the home team scores a goal. I have never been in a rink watching a hockey game where the fans are as up tight as they were in Calgary. I wore a Canuck jersey and cheered for the Canucks the entire game and no one challenged me to a fight or even yelled at me, where's the fun in that?

But it appears things are changing, as booing Jovanovski is as classless as anything some Canucks fans have done.

And why do non-Canucks fans try to blame EVERYTHING on Bertuzzi? It's really pathetic.

I can agree, the SilentDome needs to wake up, but hey, there hasn't been much to cheer about for a long long time, they were much rowdier back in the day IMO.

icarus 01-07-2004 11:29 AM

Quote:

:lol:

Red Bull 01-07-2004 12:26 PM

Quote:

Riiiight... brilliant comment, completely lacking any explanation as to how you would KNOW what another human being intended. You may have a good reason to believe he dived, as I have for believing he didn't... but since you don't seem to want to share this "wisdom" with someone who has an honest inquirey, your comment reflects the nature and stature of your thought process.

It's much more likely that I KNOW you don't have a clue about the inicident at all.

Here's something else you should know: I DONT GIVE A DAMN.

quat 01-07-2004 01:49 PM

Quote:

Here's something else you should know: I DONT GIVE A DAMN.

Well Junior, the above quote actually expresses the opposite. If you didn't give a dam, you wouldn't have the need to post that sentiment.

And for curiositys sake, why post comments on a CHAT BOARD if you can't express why you have that opinion? It's hardly insulting to ask why someone KNOWS that Jovanovski actually dove or not. :rolly:

Red Bull 01-07-2004 02:15 PM

Read it again.

evman150* 01-07-2004 04:46 PM

Quote:

So booing players is on par with booing anthems, chanting anti-US sentiments, rioting and throwing garbage on the ice?

Get a clue.

quat 01-07-2004 05:07 PM

Quote:

Read it again.

:cry: :cry:

quat 01-07-2004 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evman150
So booing players is on par with booing anthems, chanting anti-US sentiments, rioting and throwing garbage on the ice?

Get a clue.

The way you tell it, the above happens every game the Canucks play. It's completely missleading and silly to paint all fans with the same brush. Almost every arena in the league has had trash thrown on the ice by a few dorks, and the anti-US sentiments in VAncouver were drowned out by people who were offenended the next and following games. Same went with booing anthems. You don't have to look very far to find moronic fans following any team, and pretending there are none in Calgary is weak.

It's great to see the Flames working hard and getting the results. Fun to see a dogfight for the division lead.

icarus 01-07-2004 06:02 PM

Quote:

The way you tell it, the above happens every game the Canucks play. It's completely missleading and silly to paint all fans with the same brush. Almost every arena in the league has had trash thrown on the ice by a few dorks, and the anti-US sentiments in VAncouver were drowned out by people who were offenended the next and following games. Same went with booing anthems. You don't have to look very far to find moronic fans following any team, and pretending there are none in Calgary is weak.

So let me get this straight, you are defending the statement: "But it appears things are changing, as booing Jovanovski is as classless as anything some Canucks fans have done"?

quat 01-07-2004 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icarus
So let me get this straight, you are defending the statement: "But it appears things are changing, as booing Jovanovski is as classless as anything some Canucks fans have done"?

Booing a player who has been hurt because he gets up and starts playing again isn't very classy, but no I don't think it really compares to booing anthems or the like. My point was that amping up the rhetoric doesn't seem like a credible way of dissagreeing with someone.

Red Bull 01-07-2004 06:49 PM

No it's not very classy but booing a player who dives is perfectly fine so there's no problem here.